Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Can the dye pool for the dye packs please only contain Rare dyes?
With the current gem prices that keep rising it’s really a shame that you still drop useless blue/green dyes
With an only rare dye drop pool you can at least get something that’s worth your gems.

Side-question: Who buys those Color Swatches?

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Lolololol sooo you just want them to give you the hard to obtain stuff?

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

I love the Color Swatches

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Lolololol sooo you just want them to give you the hard to obtain stuff?

Give? No… You pay a lot of gems for those gem packs. And 9/10 times you get a blue or green dye you already have 50 of. The other 1/10 its just a rare you already have.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I think we have to live with the fact that some things on the Store are going to be gambling based. Apparently there is enough people who are willing to gamble that it makes it worth it to Arenanet to keep that system in.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If everyone could get the rare, hard to get dyes then they would no longer be rare, hard to get dyes but the same as “useless blue green dyes”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Spend the gold on the dye instead of the gems. Dye packs are more for newer players with few dyes.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With the current gem prices that keep rising it’s really a shame that you still drop useless blue/green dyes
With an only rare dye drop pool you can at least get something that’s worth your gems.

You’ve misunderstood what the Dye Kits are: they are lotteries, not utilities. Buy them only for the entertainment value you get rolling the dice to see what drops; don’t buy them if your goal is getting specific drops.

Instead, purchase on the TP; while the kits are on sale, that will be cheaper (nearly always — the exceptions involve some unusual circumstances). I just picked up a ton of the colors you are calling “useless” for bargain prices and the rare ones for sub-bargain prices. Plus, the premium colors themselves (Electro xyz) are all at their lowest points (roughly) since just after the Taimi Kit left the gem shop.

tl;dr Dye Kits are for the slot-machine excitement; to purchase for the best price, use the TP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Sorry, that’s the point. They want to siphon gold and/or stashed gems out of the system. The only way to get around it is buying the desired dye directly off the TP. IMO the prices you get are usually slightly cheaper than statistical average of the cost you’d incur trying to get one yourself (especially if you only one specific dye from the pack). Of course if you are lucky, you can always play the kit lottery.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Logothx.5628

Logothx.5628

Well i feel like i was scammed buying Taimi’s dye pack today. 5/250 – with a result of 0/5 for a dye you actually wanted. Anet may find that they sell even more dyes if they actually made the dyes that people wanted in the first place available. As it is, well you fooled me once …. never going to be scammed like that again.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Well i feel like i was scammed buying Taimi’s dye pack today. 5/250 – with a result of 0/5 for a dye you actually wanted. Anet may find that they sell even more dyes if they actually made the dyes that people wanted in the first place available. As it is, well you fooled me once …. never going to be scammed like that again.

Unlikely. More people would likely buy them at first, but then they wouldn’t have any repeats because everyone will have what they want pretty quickly. This way there are people who keep buying them over and over hoping to get what they want.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding what I’m asking for. I want the dye kits to only drop the exclusive dyes that come with that specific dye pack and the regular rare dyes. Most of the regular rare dyes are around 1-2g with 5 dyes being the exception.

Gambling should give you back something that will make you continue gambling. But the way it is now that is not case for me

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

I do wish they did a better job of showing you all of the possible dyes in the dye packs but it very clearly says it’s a random selection and included the possibility of 6 specialty dyes.

I don’t imagine people buy Black Lion Keys expecting that every chest contains a permanent contract….

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think some of you guys are misunderstanding what I’m asking for. I want the dye kits to only drop the exclusive dyes that come with that specific dye pack and the regular rare dyes. Most of the regular rare dyes are around 1-2g with 5 dyes being the exception.

Gambling should give you back something that will make you continue gambling. But the way it is now that is not case for me

Lotteries are setup to have a small number of huge prizes, a slightly greater number of medium prizes, and the vast majority are tiny. State-run lotteries typically offer an expected 50% return: you spend 2 Euros (or 2 dollars), expect to get 1 back — this includes the jackpot prizes, which means most people get nothing.

So again, if you want to avoid the gamble and get something guaranteed, convert your gems into gold (which, at today’s exchange rate, is a good deal), and buy the colors you want directly. ANet still gets cash for gems and you don’t have to gamble. Win-Win.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

Can the reward pool for Black Lion chests please contain only tickets and ticket scraps?

That aside, I agree with you: who actually buys dye packs? They’re a huge monetary investment for a chance at getting another shade of colors I already have like 30 of. There are super cheap alternates to most of these expensive dyes, and if a certain special one really tickles your fancy then you can just use the money you would be spending on the ridiculously expensive dye packs to buy your one dye off the TP instead.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

Hardly a scam when it’s right there in the description. Next time read it before purchasing. Easy way to avoid this kind of feeling.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Always stuck me as a bad deal that a limited edition dye pack mostly gives NORMAL dyes you can pick up anytime. Wtf couldn’t they have limited edition dyes of different rarity? At least you’d get SOMETHING exclusive, but you’d still have the lottery for a super rare one of the set to keep the gambling adicts happy too. That would be imo a much more satisfactory system.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Gaviston Hawkington.9647

Gaviston Hawkington.9647

I believe the GEM Store kits for the special dyes should always be random. That’s the risk you take with trying to get the uber rare dye. As many have suggested you can always buy with gold which may actually be more favorable to you price-wise in the end.

However, I’ve often felt that kits such as these: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unidentified_Gray_Dye_

Should ONLY contain the rarity of the dye the name indicates.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: NiBlack.3149

NiBlack.3149

I R SALT…
Unlucky 25% without even single electro dye. For more salt to the wound The dyes I got were worth like 1,5g total (not to mention the only rare one was UGLY).

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I agree with this post 100%. The problem with the current system is it gives common easily obtainable dyes that go for mere coppers on the TP (for good reason I might add) when no one buys the packs with exclusives for a common dye. No one buys the Taimini dye kit for a freakin’ blurple.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Can the reward pool for Black Lion chests please contain only tickets and ticket scraps?

Chests are a different beast (or should be.) However, I’d replace tonics (conspicuously absent from the gem store directly…) with 50 non metal/leather/fabric T6 mats. So your consolation prize if you didn’t get anything exclusive could be 50 powerful blood, 50 armored scale, and 50 vicious fang.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem with this request is that those rare dyes are worth 1-2g because they’re rare.

If everyone who bought a dye kit was guaranteed to get one of those or one of the exclusive dyes then there would be far, far more of them entering the market, the price would drop as supply exceeds demand and they’d be no more valuable than the blue and green dyes.

If you were complaining that you really wanted a specific colour to complete an outfit and you hadn’t been able to get it, then your suggestion may help. (Although in that case you’d be better off converting gems to gold and buying it from the TP, even at the lowest exchange rate you’d get a better deal than buying even 1 dye pack.)

But it sounds like you want a valuable one specifically, either to sell or simply to feel like you got ‘lucky’. That only works if you’re actually lucky – if it’s guaranteed then it’s not special.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with this post 100%. The problem with the current system is it gives common easily obtainable dyes that go for mere coppers on the TP (for good reason I might add) when no one buys the packs with exclusives for a common dye. No one buys the Taimini dye kit for a freakin’ blurple.

If you want a Taimi premium dye (i.e. the Electro colors), buy it on the TP; it’s much cheaper. Only buy the Taimi Kit if you want the excitement of rolling the dice.

Dye Packs and Dye Pools

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

Meh, I bought the flame and shadow kits for 25gems each and still felt ripped off. Its a sick joke by anet.