Nice bug while it lasted I suppose.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I was just thinking today. “I have been getting a lot more dye recently…”

I had thought it was just perception. Guess not so much.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-5-2012/first#post648164

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

It seems as though the drop-rate for dyes has had a significant increase. Yesterday I got at least twice the dyes I would usually get.

I would have preferred account-bound dyes, but this is better than nothing. Hopefully it’ll do something about the stupid prices for some dyes.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

did random things for 3 hours today and got 2 dyes – don’t see a difference at all

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’ve noticed that too, but most of the dyes are common (which is to be expected, but…) It seems like the rare and even uncommon dyes have had their drop rate nerfed to the ground.

Also applicable to the making money thread, but stock up on illumination dye before people figure out that it’s a much better gold than “gold” is, and the irony of silver being rare yet “gold” being uncommon is cute. Also, redemption compliments illumination well, as secondary colors are usually best a shade or two darker than the primary.

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

You can pick up the vast majority of dyes on the trading post for a pittance. All of the common dyes are generally under a silver each. Uncommons aren’t that much more. Even the less popular rare dyes are less than 10 silver each. It’s only the black dyes (midnight ice, midnight fire, abyss) and the white dyes (celestial) that can cost more than a gold with some reds not far behind.

Clem.2963

What a cleverly camouflaged whine thread about soulbinding – not.

What…?

Yesterday I got 10 dyes, at least double what I have previously gotten during a day.

I asked a few people on /map chat and they seemed to think the same thing.

Posted by: VonFox.2834

VonFox.2834

i used 88 dye’s from the TP got 1 abyss and 1 celestial it was a very good day got 2x the gold back

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I got tons of dye while playing yesterday. I even mentioned it to my guild but they said it was just me.
I would sometime even get 2 unidentified bottle from the same monster.

“Hopefully it’ll do something about the stupid prices for some dyes.”
All it will do is make them even more stupidly cheap than they already are.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I found 2 back to back yesterday literally seconds apart, random is random.. before that I think I went over a day without finding one. One day I probably found 10. People always think the rates are highered/lowered depending on their luck but the fact is usually they haven’t changed at all lol

Btw, is anyone else wondering if ANet is going to do double rate drops like rares or dye’s or whatever like they did in GW1?

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

2 back to back is the typical thing that happen that you call luck.
I had 2 celestial in the same day, This is what luck is.

17 bottle in 4 hours when only casually doing heart and event in gendarran and lornar’s pass isn’t what I call luck.

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

I think I played almost as much as yesterday and today I got nearly the double of the dyes I got yesterday, but this doesn’t mean anything…

Except it helps my dye identification addiction, I can’t seem to stop for some reason!
I think I’ve spent 20~30g on it already and I still want more!

Posted by: wumpusrat.4769

wumpusrat.4769

Seems about the same as it ever was to me. Maybe even a bit less. For a good 4-5 hours I didn’t get a single dye to drop, then I got about 4 in the next 30m. Then nothing for the new couple hours.

Posted by: Blitzburger.1576

Blitzburger.1576

I’ve definitely noticed an increase in dye drops, I think it’s great.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

for those people who notice an increase in dye drops – are you farming on a level 80 in 70+ zones? or is this low level stuff – because to be honest, it feels as though the second you hit 80 the dye drops go down by 75% – both myself and my GF noticed this severe drop on both of our multiple 80’s

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

for those people who notice an increase in dye drops – are you farming on a level 80 in 70+ zones? or is this low level stuff – because to be honest, it feels as though the second you hit 80 the dye drops go down by 75% – both myself and my GF noticed this severe drop on both of our multiple 80’s

I’ve been leveling alts for a while, and I have noticed an increase in dye drops. maybe that’s areanet’s way of suggesting that we go back to lower level zones?

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I track my drops for marketeering purposes pretty extensively. For the last two weeks, my daily drop rate on dyes has been more than twice what it was on average since launch. I was getting excited about that, until I compared to my total kills and realized that the timing matched switching from my Elementalist (at 80 now, full Exotics) to leveling my Ranger, who is just that much more efficient at murdering things. My drop rate has stayed consistent when adjusted for kill speed.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Clem.2963

I was in mostly Frostgorge and Orr regions (70+).

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I can’t even tell if the fancy sickles actually have any higher chance of finding rare components than regular harvesting tools.

I got some dyes today, seemed about normal. For a while I wondered if badges of honor were dropping at a higher rate.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I noticed a big difference too. In Straights of Devastation. In Sparkfly Fen, not so much? Might be zone related.

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

I normally get 3-4 dyes at most in an hour and a half farming time in Cursed Shore. Today, I pulled 11 dyes. Of course, this is only the first time it’s happened, so until it happens multiple times, I’ll just assume it was luck.

That said, there were a lot of people noticing an increased drop rate on dyes today, so it might be legit.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

The last two days, I’ve pulled far more dyes than I have for over a month. I just attributed it to random luck, but there may be something more to it.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Redamz.5038

Redamz.5038

I got my Midnight ice, Abyss and Celestial from random dyes.

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

Yup. Dye drop rate increased. Found 7 dyes in 2 hour farm. 0 MF. Normally is 1- 2 dyes in 2 hours farm.

Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: frellingfahrbot.7152

frellingfahrbot.7152

Two hours in CS and I have gotten 28 dyes, including two rares (cobalt and midnight ice). Seems to be dropping at significantly higher rates than before.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Noticed an increase as well, over the entire halloween event i got maybe 2 dye drops the entire time. But did a single dungeon earlier today and got 3 dye drops in it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Definitely a huge increase in the drop rate. In 2 hours of play I got 27 dyes, which is more then my previous 300 hours of play combined.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I have always found dyes incredibly streaky. Ever since released, there were days when I got a bunch of dyes, and days when I got none at all.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I have always found dyes incredibly streaky. Ever since released, there were days when I got a bunch of dyes, and days when I got none at all.

I recant this statement. I have gotten so many dyes drop this weekend that I do not believe it possible that it’s just another streak. Drop rates have been increased, I’m certain of it.

Random is random, but some outcomes are just way too improbable without the random chance being changed.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I was wondering if this was just me, I have seriously received 10+ dyes drop in the last four hours of play.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Nimraphel.7819

Nimraphel.7819

Prices on unidentified dyes have plummeted rapidly ever since 1st of November. Abyss Dye has lost over 1½g in a day. This should tell you something.

This should be ample evidence that dye droprate has been increased dramatically, a sentiment echoed by everyone currently farming in Orr zones.

(edited by Nimraphel.7819)

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

I’ve noticed an increase in the last two days.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I was just saying this in the map chat. I got 4 dyes in one event and a ton of them just wandering around. Seems like an increase to me

Posted by: Drake Brimstone.3706

Drake Brimstone.3706

Easiest way to tell there is an increase in dye drops over all is the drop in price of unidentified dyes. They dropped by almost a full silver each I think.

Posted by: BowmasterSol.3457

BowmasterSol.3457

I’ve always had this belief that dye drops were more common in lowbie areas. Everytime I did something in a lowbie area I would get a lot of dyes. This may be due to the very few items available to be dropped as random loot, so the chances are higher due to a smaller pool or it can just simply be the case of being able to kill things faster and being lucky.

Knowledge is power.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

ok so it’s not just me! :O I have amassed like 15 unid dyes from two chars. One lowly DE I got 2. I got another 2 from the AC explo. And my alt got 3 from doing random stuff on low level maps :O

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Katzyn.9703

Katzyn.9703

Yeah, my friends and I got so many dyes today…and a few rare ones, even. Today was slightly profitable, just selling dyes, lol…Though yes, most were cheap as dirt.

Katzy (80 Sylvari Ranger), Katarzynea (80 Norn Elementalist),
Katalii (40ish Asuran Mesmer), Katalyn Galadheon (15ish Human Warrior)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

It is raining Dye!
Seriously all the time to 80 I got like 4 dyes in total now I’m running out of space in my bank- this is wonderful for my dye addiction.
I even got Abyss yesterday, only to have the bottom drop out of the market overnight.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Umbra.5180

Umbra.5180

Have gotten 30 in the past few days, was surprised.

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I’ve noticed a change in dye drop rate only after gaining my full set of magic find gear. Right now I have +85% magic find and I could get 5 unidentified dyes yesterday.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I’ve always had this belief that dye drops were more common in lowbie areas. Everytime I did something in a lowbie area I would get a lot of dyes. This may be due to the very few items available to be dropped as random loot, so the chances are higher due to a smaller pool or it can just simply be the case of being able to kill things faster and being lucky.

I always felt that too. I just felt it was a legitimate drop rate thing, since it happened no matter which character I was on. Actual low level or an 80 helping a guildee or mapping.

It was noticeable especially when harvesting nodes.

I’ve noticed a change in dye drop rate only after gaining my full set of magic find gear. Right now I have +85% magic find and I could get 5 unidentified dyes yesterday.

Running no magic find on either character, and pulled 6 dye in an hour on Thursday, 6 dye in a couple hours Friday, and 8 dye while capping my ranger yesterday.

Prior to this patch, if I were lucky I would get 1 dye in an entire night of Orr, Frostgorge, or dungeoning.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

(edited by Sarisa.4731)

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Well it’s not like this is a bad thing, isn’t it?
There is no need on making unidentified dyes absurdly rare when there are already rare ones to obtain after identification. It would be like making something twice as rare.
Hopefully now we can expect a small drop in price at the AH for abyss dye which is ridicolous nowadays. 5 gold for a dye… really?

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

(edited by Hermes.7014)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Ditto—-I’ve seen lot more lately, been junking all the dupes that I have gotten.

I have noticed (imho) that there has been a reduction (it was a low rate already) with black lion keys. Been a while since I have seen a free one.

Posted by: captaincrunch.6731

captaincrunch.6731

I wish there was a vendor sale price for dyes so I didn’t have to put all these blues up on the tp constantly.

Posted by: Lord Awesomeness.1804

Lord Awesomeness.1804

From my anecdotal experience, I always seem to get a lot of dyes when I make a new character. I would play my 80 warrior or elementalist for days without seeing a single dye drop, but I go and make a new character and I have 6 or so in the first hour.

I haven’t been to any high level zones recently to know if the drop rate has changed out there, but my previous experience with Orr was that dye was incredibly rare. If it’s dropping at a rate of even a couple a day that would be a pretty significant boost to the drop rate.

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

I have had many days from the start of this game where I would find at least 10 dyes throughout the day. I have not had any significant increases in dyes found (rather, a slight decrease).

Whether it was luck that granted me craptons of dyes at the start, or something else I do not know. What I do know is that I personally have not experienced a significant increase in dyes found for quite some time.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’ve found TONS of dyes lately, possibly 10-20 in last few days. It definitely feels like the rate massively improved. They’re all been blue though, nothing rare. The repeats I already have I just give to alts.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

@Blude, I have posted this a bunch of times before but here it goes again. I have yet to get a single key drop since the first week the game was out which i got at least 1 per day. Now keys don’t drop at all for me, almost to the point where i just give up with boxes altogether and just drop them all or throw them all up on the tp. But i have even seen a huge decrease in the chest drop rate as well, the chest drop rate seems to be slowly falling to the point of basically none.

Posted by: techknowcat.1632

techknowcat.1632

It seems the dye drop rate has increased I got quite a few late Friday early Saturday with at least 4 being rare

Posted by: Redrumickey.9672

Redrumickey.9672

Drop rates run hot and cold .Today I was just playing events for 3 hours and got 10 chest and 8 dye . Made about 1.5 gold from dyes .Other times won’t see those number in a week added together . Keys have definitely fallen off but come the holidays I’m sure keys drop rate will pick do to the fact I’m sure Anet has some crazy gifts plans for chests.

Up till now chest have been a real bummer to open for most of us .So i don’t see myself or my friends buying to many more keys unless % of getting something good goes up and in general most players feel that way . Plus how many tonics and boost can you own considering the lack of bank space plus at 80 I have no real need for either one .

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Same here. Finding 2-3x more dyes than usual.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.