Dyes for weapons?

Dyes for weapons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HakunaMataBaby.2734

HakunaMataBaby.2734

Can this be a thing? I’m tired of having to change my armor color because a white bow looks absolutely silly with a twilight weapons, and a shadow abyss armor. I mean, it wouldn’t take that much effort to do. What are your thoughts? I’d like this, kinda wish it’d be accessible by gold, but I’m willing to pay some gems to dye my weapon.

Dyes for weapons?

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I’m pretty sure this has been asked for since day one, given GW1 allowed weapon dyes. Given ANet hasn’t done anything about it in the past 3 years and keeps adding weapon sets with no dye channels it seems highly unlikely it will ever happen.

Dyes for weapons?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Weapons and back items should be dyeable.

It’ll be an increase in data stored in the items, and sent to players, but what we are losing is too much in comparison.

Take back items and weapons matching the same theme, like the Daydreamer’s.

You can dye the outfit. But what’s the point? You can’t dye the wings or the weapons. So if you dye the outfit, it’ll no longer match them. Why would you try and get the weapons and backs if you can’t make them match your dyed outfit?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Dyes for weapons?

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I still think they would make more money, overall, from allowing the dying of weapons and backpacks.

It’s not even as though they keep releasing recolours of weapons, to be fair to them.

They only seem to do that with a few of the backpacks (like the black/white wings).

So, it’s not even like they would, generally, lose lots of multiple sales of recoloured stuff by doing this.

I guess they might make people buy more different weaps, purely on the basis of their set colours?

But, I still think that would probably be outweighed by a greater number of sales of dyeable weaps, for their unique designs.

Weapons and back items should be dyeable.

It’ll be an increase in data stored in the items, and sent to players, but what we are losing is too much in comparison.

Take back items and weapons matching the same theme, like the Daydreamer’s.

You can dye the outfit. But what’s the point? You can’t dye the wings or the weapons. So if you dye the outfit, it’ll no longer match them. Why would you try and get the weapons and backs if you can’t make them match your dyed outfit?

To be fair, you can dye it slightly different colours, that still go (or even, rather bizarrely, go slightly better) with the weapons/backpack.

…and of course, you might want to use it with other weaps and/or backpacks.

But, I certainly agree with you, in general.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Dyes for weapons?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s a design issue, not a memory allocation issue: back when the game was still a twinkle in Colin’s eye, they decided to trade off customization in weapons for the simplicity in programming and animating more complex weapons. As I understood, when reading their explanation: they’d have to redesign bits of the game engine to change this now.

So even if they decided it would be better for the game, it would require a substantial effort that probably would be better suited to creating more non-dyeable weapons more quickly.

(I haven’t seen any explanation as to why backpacks can’t be dyed; it might be something similar.)

tl;dr dyeable weapons probably has to wait for GW3.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”