in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

That is the question.

Dyes - to Identify Or Not To Identify

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Sell sell sell! In their unidentified state of course.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

i got abyss&celestial and other good stuff from them

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I sell mine, I’ve had the quintessential worst luck of anyone with these things, might as well make a dime.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

I don’t know if there are any solid numbers on the ID rate of different types of dyes, but my gut reaction is that you’d make more coin on average selling unidentified dyes than identifying them and then selling.

Posted by: bookman.9260

bookman.9260

the trend is usually sell until you feel like you could be lucky and identify dyes. Then when your dyes suck you go back to selling. Rinse and repeat.

Posted by: Sereloth.4378

Sereloth.4378

Two of the first dyes I ever identified were Black. I used one and sold the other for 10g. Ever since I’ve been identifying with not such luck. However, I do like unlocking all of the dyes, so I’m OK with it. Once I start getting too many repeated ones, I’ll start selling them unidentified on the TP.

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

I’ve gotten 2 Abyss Dyes and a White Dye. As a rule, I always identify, usually immediately.

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

Identify of course. Games are supposed to be fun, I find more fun in identifying it to see if it is a colour I need. Selling it on the TP doesn’t seem like much fun to me.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

For me, not to identify. And hoard like crazy. I’m hoping to one day craft The Bifrost.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Identify- it is fun and sometimes you get lucky.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

My luck has been abysmal with these. All the ‘nice’ dyes I have I’ve had to buy anyway so I’ve abandoned the idea of id’ing them and now just dump them on the TP.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I must have opened my first 100 or so as I am collecting all colours for 8 chars. However after seeing what they are worth unidentified compared to identified I think it’s wiser to sell all unident and just buy what you are missing per char.

Well this is what I’m doing now anyways. Another reason I am selling is because you always seem to get the same ones often and it’s hard to remember if a certain char has it so you bank it and have to log in and out on all your chars once your bank starts to get too full. Very time consuming. If only they left it that dyes worked for all chars or atleast let us see which has what dyes from playing on any of them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

I always identify them… because I like collecting dyes. Gotta catch em all.

And then I take the dyes that I already have and throw them in the mystic forge for a chance at higher tier dyes… it’s a good way to turn those 90 copper dyes into 22 gold.

Posted by: redhare.9210

redhare.9210

the original statement I made is false. I have not looked at them on the TP in a long time so I assumed that they were the same. I would still identify them.

(edited by redhare.9210)

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

I think I’m going to start selling them.

There are only a couple colors I even want and I’ll probably never get them. I would probably get them quicker by selling the unidentified kits, banking the money and saving up to just purchase the colors I want outright.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

redhare.9210

There are only a couple colors I even want and I’ll probably never get them. I would probably get them quicker by selling the unidentified kits, banking the money and saving up to just purchase the colors I want outright.

If you identify them you can sell them for lots more than the few copper for unidentified ones.

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

If you identify them you can sell them for lots more than the few copper for unidentified ones.

Not if you have luck like mine..haha.

I always identify them, and I always get colors that no one seems to want. I’ll probably just keep opening them with the slim hope that I’ll either get a color I want or one I can actually sell.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

redhare.9210

Not if you have luck like mine..haha.

I always identify them, and I always get colors that no one seems to want. I’ll probably just keep opening them with the slim hope that I’ll either get a color I want or one I can actually sell.

then sell them to a npc. either way you will get more than unidentified ones.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I can’t stand not knowing what the colour is. I have to ID them.

My best is two celestial dyes in the first head start week.

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Few copper? Unidentified dyes are currently 18s78c.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I identify and keep if I like or maybe sell. I even got a 7 gold dye, midnight fire i think, and put it on my low level necro. He looks pretty cool by the way. IMO its a little bit of a lottery but i think if you kept identifying you would get some dyes worth gold and some worth measly copper and it could balance if you sold them all but since I want to keep some nice ones its a bonus to get them.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

(edited by joneb.5679)

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

From purely economic terms sell it. In the short/long run you will do a lot more gold. But if it gives you pleasure playing with the RNG and knowing that all your unlocked dyes where discovered by your character just go for it.
I tend to identify mine and use it on the character that found them. By some weird quirk of the RNG my mesmer has mostly pinks and purples…

Posted by: exocet.6308

exocet.6308

Do you vendor your Unid. Dyes? Ouch.

redhare.9210

Do you vendor your Unid. Dyes? Ouch.

Last time I looked at Unidentified dyes on the TP was a long time ago. And no i always discover them to find out what the color is. Also rewrote original post.

(edited by redhare.9210)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

All I am gunna say is .. Fireflies, Chickens and Herb patches FTW

I dont have a day go by without picking up at least one or two rare dyes and 4-6 others.
Last night I pulled Midnight Fire from my favorite foe… a Veteran “Herb patch” … 9G tyvm……KERCHING…..NEXT

Posted by: Rhaynne.9467

Rhaynne.9467

I sell mine, I’ve had the quintessential worst luck of anyone with these things, might as well make a dime.

This

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

i got abyss&celestial and other good stuff from them

I wish I could get the Abyss dye!

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…