Dynamic Content Leveling - What do you think?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Loony.3865

Loony.3865

Hello Community!

I hope you are all having a fine day, with Guild Wars 2 close to a year old now I was looking back at the game and comparing it to several other games out there and something that made me wonder was Dynamic Leveling…

You know what I am talking about, being a level 80 and going back to a lower level zone and being down leveled… I was wondering what everyone out there thinks of this now that we all had about a year’s worth of play with the system.

Do you think this system is better than previous models? The benefits of this system are somewhat obvious but my primary concern is this, does the fact that you are down-leveled diminish how we feel about our hero’s progression? Do we feel less AWESOME now with end game loot than we would have in other games? Does loot no longer play as big a role? And most important of all, how does that make you feel… how do you feel about your hero’s progression?

I’d love to hear as much input on this as is possible so feel free to post whatever you think/felt/feel while playing this fantastic game.

preemptive HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ALL!

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The benefits of this system are somewhat obvious but my primary concern is this, does the fact that you are down-leveled diminish how we feel about our hero’s progression?

Nope.

“Progression” in MMORPGs is a joke. You go from dealing 1 damage to a 10 HP monster to dealing 1.000 damage to a 10.000 HP monster. It’s meaningless, and only there to give people an illusion of growth.

The level scalling system at least allows us to play in the entire world, if we want. I know I would die if the only place where I could find something similar to a challenge were in Orr.

If anything, level scalling is still keeping our characters too powerful, a level 80 character can very easily solo a champion in Queensdale. The system should be changed so we are less powerful at lower level areas.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Maybe progression is a joke to you, but not to me!

Progression I.e. your skill and char progress by fighting harder and harder mobs over time and tiers of difficulty. QG sound familiar?

Progression moving forward, moving up, getting better, elevating standards.
Sounds terrible right!

Posted by: Loony.3865

Loony.3865

Progression moving forward, moving up, getting better, elevating standards.
Sounds terrible right!

So you miss that in MMOs? How you progress and leave behind or demolish earlier content? You feel that your character ie your loot progression is diminished in Guild Wars 2 because of this system?

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Progression I.e. your skill and char progress by fighting harder and harder mobs over time and tiers of difficulty.

Your skill doesn’t rise as your character becomes more powerful. In fact, your skill would rise more if your character kept his power level and then faced more powerful enemies. Otherwise, you can just outlevel the things you are fighting. This is, in fact, a rather common strategy in MMORPGs – if something is giving you trouble, just grind more levels until you can mindlessly stomp it.

Likewise, those “harder and harder” mobs don’t really exist. As mentioned in my example, killing the 10.000 HP monster when you do 1.000 damage isn’t any harder than killing the 10 HP monster when you do 1 damage.

“Progression” in a MMORPG is a time sink. It’s there to artificially inflate a game’s longevity as people grind levels, gear or both. Like many time sinks in MMOs, people have been deceived into thinking it’s actually a feature, but it’s not. It doesn’t really add anything to the game, not when compared to what it takes away.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

lilstev.3498

I’m talking about difficulty, not gear…..
I.e. FotM

lilstev.3498

Should have worded it better, when I say skill I mean you skill lvl as a player.