Dynamic events overview in map

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Scars of Time.6324

The Scars of Time.6324

Is there an online map with an overview of all possible events in a GW2 map in it? It would be nice if it also shows a note when hovering over the event that shows its approximate respawn timer or trigger, something like that. A bit like the gw2timer map shows for Dry Top, but with all events instead of just the active. There was an API for all active dynamic events on a map. It basically showed all events there that were active or could be activated at that moment. Since megaserver came out, that API probably misfunctions or all sites using that API had it removed.

The wiki list of events in a map is cool and all, but I would much rather look at a map than having to click on each event to see where it actually occurs.

edit: forgot to add “online” to the topic title, I didn’t want to imply it should be added ingame, just want a nice site to alt tab to when I’m randomly exploring and looking for new events to do.

(edited by The Scars of Time.6324)

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

L.A. could have in-game information displays about upcoming big events. Sure, having all events in the in-game map would be better. Lot of options and check boxes for what to display. Some kind of personal event alert system would be nice. Pre-events too.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s a list of apps that use the APIs. No idea if any of them work for what you are looking for. You can probably also find some apps in the Sticky in the API sub-forum.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:List_of_applications

Good luck.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Wouldn’t need any of those had they updated their maps to include events on the map system so you didn’t have to be told in chat where they were located, you know like a modern game development team would have done. another request that mirrors the suggestions folder archive again.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

iirc on a previous thread where people were asking for all current events to show on the map, a Dev said that they didn’t want to do this because people would see an event a distance away, run to get there and by the time they got there it would be over.

My personal opinion on that is, I still want to have the ability to see all the events and decide whether or not to try for them.

Posted by: The Scars of Time.6324

The Scars of Time.6324

All sites using the event API were taken down or are not functioning anymore. I did find something that uses the event details API in the api development forum section, which is a lot like what I was looking for. It turns out there are more events than I expected :P I think that’s mainly because it also shows all historic events, like the Scarlet portals that popped up all over the place in every map. Those take up like half the events already :P Ohwel, guess I’ll stick to randomly wandering about and keeping my eyes open. Thanks for the replies!

Oh, and here’s that site I found. It takes 10+ seconds to load though.
http://gw2.chillerlan.net/examples/gw2maps-jquery.html

Posted by: Drant.5902

Drant.5902

gw2timer.com now has that feature to display all dynamic events in a zone (and doesn’t take 10+ seconds to load). It simply reads the up-to-date API file Anet provided that lists event names and their coordinates (no timer or much metadata beyond that). You can toggle this feature by hovering over the eye icon on the top right corner of the map pane.

Hovering over an event icon tooltips its title, and clicking zooms in/out of that event (I would make it as a wiki link, but the the pages aren’t that helpful). This tool was created in response to the Daily Events being zone-based now instead of region-based. So it’s harder to find events in zones you’re unfamiliar with if you don’t have a guide.