EOTM Sexually abusive map chat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Zanther Deathbringer.4762

This should probably get locked soon.

The personal-assumption-based name-calling has begun.

It should have been locked after the first post.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

This is internet. I would be more surprised if this did not happen.

Everytime I hear this pathetically lazy excuse I have to think of Tyrion from GoT:

Attachments:

(edited by Straylight.7529)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

This should probably get locked soon.

The personal-assumption-based name-calling has begun.

It should have been locked after the first post.

Agreed, there shouldn’t even be a thread about this kind of stuff…. its absolutely comical and irrelevant…

If something bothers you that much, block and report. Move on.

Its a video game. They tend to have kids/teens playing and guess what, they will probably act like kids!!. Is this a new concept to ppl now?

Teenagers gonna act like teenagers. L2ignore, you logon gw2 to play the game, not read map chat.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

This is internet. I would be more surprised if this did not happen.

Everytime I hear this pathetically lazy excuse I have to think of Tyrion from GoT:

It is not excuse. It is how things work.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Don’t tell your gender and you will be fine. Ignore or remove map chat, and you will be fine.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t like to see sexual talk in public chat. If it’s particularly bad and in breach of the ToS (by being vulgar) then it gets reported right there.

I’d much rather see an interesting or playful discussion about a topic that most people can relate to and enjoy.

To be fair – and exactly by that logic – I enjoy a lighthearted discussion about sex or sexy topics in /m or /t. The game is rated T, sex topics are hence perfectly fine. Ofc this is a world of difference from the harassment the OP was subjected to.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Map chat in a video game is now being compared to physically abusing a child

No, the child abusing the parent. (not the other way around, that’s a different topic) Which is now somehow ok. Just like how verbal sewage in a game is somehow ‘ok’ because “its the internet dood”

The point is, some people defend these things as ‘ok’ and they aren’t. They should never be ok. They should never be defended by spouting crap like “grow thicker skin” or “its the internet” That kitten is irrelevant. Our easy acceptance of this type of crap is wrong (and terrifying). What moral or value do we sacrifice next?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I don’t like to see sexual talk in public chat. If it’s particularly bad and in breach of the ToS (by being vulgar) then it gets reported right there.

I’d much rather see an interesting or playful discussion about a topic that most people can relate to and enjoy.

To be fair – and exactly by that logic – I enjoy a lighthearted discussion about sex or sexy topics in /m or /t. The game is rated T, sex topics are hence perfectly fine. Ofc this is a world of difference from the harassment the OP was subjected to.

Here are the rules for you:

“You may not create character names or otherwise transmit, post, link to or facilitate the distribution of any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, hateful, vulgar, racially or ethnically offensive, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person’s view imagery or content.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

So no, talking about sexually explicit stuff is not ok. Don’t do it in public chat.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

1. report
2. ignore

I see no reason to leave a map because of chat .. you can ignore it. Much worse
is only when people jump around you all the time, because you can’t make
them invisible.

Sadly, this will go ignored, as most users would rather complain about it on the internet, then to use the actual solutions available to them such as the in game ignore and report features. Sorry, but “this is the internet” is a perfectly valid excuse, because you have every option and tool in the world to be able to not deal with people you dont like.

Just ignore and report. There is no need for a topic about how someone offended you. Keep that stuff on tumblr.

Is this just the handy / facebook generation, that has to talk / write immedeatly
about every unimportant stuff that noone wants to hear ?
Soo much better to write a wall of text instead of simply click twice ingame.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

For what it’s worth, I rarely see anything crass show up in map chat. In combat zones, people mostly talk about map events and in cities, it’s mostly silly stuff and pop culture references. As such, OP, I’m inclined to think you mostly just got unlucky enough to run into the small percentage of particular unpleasant individuals a few times in quick succession. Which isn’t to say this sort of thing is ok! Just that I’m not convinced it’s actually at epidemic levels.

Reporting and then blocking them is the best way to handle this. Trolls want to get a rise out of you, but if they’ve been blocked, then there’s no payoff for them (and over time, those reports can lead to getting them banned). If we, as a community, commit to reporting and blocking trolls rather than feeding them, then trolling in general becomes a high-risk, low-reward activity and it will largely die off.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: I Deschain I.4623

I Deschain I.4623

You cannot be “sexually abused” in map chat. It’s physically impossible. You can possibly be sexually harassed. In which case, report them/block them and move on with your life.

That’s what adults do.

Don’t worry about my daughter. She’s not an overly sensitive crybaby like you are coming across to be here. She doesn’t need you to look out for her.

This.

Funniest thread I read in a while though, does indeed spread the charm of some nice femi-not-see thinking. I’ll probably get banned for saying this, maybe I should generalize the situation and put myself into the victim role somehow.

3rd player NA to reach Diamond Invader (WvW Rank 6445+) on 10/29/14.
Retired.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Unfortunately, threads like this tend to bring out more of the “Anything goes on the internet, sucks if you’re offended lolololol” crowd.

Anyway, things usually have to get pretty grotesque for me to report them; luckily, it only gets that bad maybe once every few weeks. Just report them in-game and block them. Take screenshots, and then send them to Anet. If they’re truly breaking any rules, then Anet will handle it.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

I think it’s just mainly an EOTM thing, as most map chats seem rather inane, relevant to the map or class discussion…

Then you go into EoTM, the person with the tag is cursing some random person, who is also cussing out the tagger, cussing out the other teams, yelling at each other over literally every single move that gets made until there’s two tags and a massive amount of confusion. It’s like all the hatred in the game trickled to EoTM and congealed there into a screaming, cussing puddle of wtf. I’ve never seen an EoTM where that didn’t happen.

I don’t understand the whole “this is the internet” logic. It’s like saying “Yes, there’s a massive pile of rotting dogkitten on the floor, but it’s my house, so you gotta expect that.” We gotta make an effort to clean up the dogkitten. It’s beginning to smell weird and it’s staining the carpet.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Here are the rules for you:

“You may not create character names or otherwise transmit, post, link to or facilitate the distribution of any sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, hateful, vulgar, racially or ethnically offensive, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person’s view imagery or content.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

So no, talking about sexually explicit stuff is not ok. Don’t do it in public chat.

well, sex topics aren’t inherently sexually explicit. Obscene and vulgar are very subjective terms to describe something which to someone else could be described as coy or any number of other things. “A reasonable person’s view” also changes dramatically based on a huge number of factors, geography being the one I tend to notice the most.

That’s why the only people who can judge this stuff are the people that were involved.
Everyone else is just cluttering up the thread with their own personal baggage (myself included).

(edited by Rashagar.8349)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Map chat in a video game is now being compared to physically abusing a child

No, the child abusing the parent. (not the other way around, that’s a different topic) Which is now somehow ok. Just like how verbal sewage in a game is somehow ‘ok’ because “its the internet dood”

The point is, some people defend these things as ‘ok’ and they aren’t. They should never be ok. They should never be defended by spouting crap like “grow thicker skin” or “its the internet” That kitten is irrelevant. Our easy acceptance of this type of crap is wrong (and terrifying). What moral or value do we sacrifice next?

No one says is OK.
You need to get back to reality. This is a kitten video game that probably has kids playing and kids gonna act like kids. All you can do here is report , block, ignore and move on.

I’m not playing a kitten video game to play Gandhi and teach kids about morals and whats right and wrong.

This isn’t school or real life where you can actually do meaningful teaching.
This is a video game, you expect kids are playing to listen to some adult teach them about morals? GET REAL.

Its a game – ignore/block and move the hell on and get back to playing.

But if you wanna play Parent and teach MAP CHAT on how to act like adults, by all means go ahead.

Thats the reality of this situation.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

It’s probably just kids trolling.

If they still bother you take screenshots of dialog by hitting “Print Screen.” You can then edit in Paint.net any info you don’t want to show. Make a ticket to Anet. Be prepared to “name names.”

Also note you can leave and join a different EotM map by logging all the way out and back in. Sometimes it will put you in the same map especially during slow hours. Keep trying.

Good luck.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

While I do agree that harassment and what not are all terrible, there is a block function if something is being a kitten directly to you, or even just a kitten in general.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

While I do agree that harassment and what not are all terrible, there is a block function if something is being a kitten directly to you, or even just a kitten in general.

Well, there’s “harassment,” and then there’s, “someone is saying something I don’t personally find appropriate, better immediately jump to reporting them.”

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

i agree with the poster that made this topic . this is something that is not need in the game at all. and women should not have to put up with this trash nor should other people as well have to put up with this trash . and yes kid,s play this game too they do not need to see this stuff as well. hope Anet makes it self clear on these thing,s so every one gets the idea . and thos that want to be uneducated well just block them and if it breaks the tos report them fully .

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

You cannot be “sexually abused” in map chat. It’s physically impossible. You can possibly be sexually harassed. In which case, report them/block them and move on with your life.

That’s what adults do.

Don’t worry about my daughter. She’s not an overly sensitive crybaby like you are coming across to be here. She doesn’t need you to look out for her.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Report and Block.

I find it so funny that you’d rather post on the forums with something none of us have any control over yet you could have blocked and reported this person in mere seconds.

My block list has at least 100 people on it and it only took about 2 seconds per block.

We live in a world now where people would rather complain about online abuse (for attention I assume) then just deal with it and move on.

Anita Sarkeesian comes to mind.

RoseofGilead.8907

Report and Block.

I find it so funny that you’d rather post on the forums with something none of us have any control over yet you could have blocked and reported this person in mere seconds.

My block list has at least 100 people on it and it only took about 2 seconds per block.

We live in a world now where people would rather complain about online abuse (for attention I assume) then just deal with it and move on.

OP did say that she reported him/them. She didn’t say if she blocked them, though.

As a side note: People come to the forums to make thread after thread about how they’re going to riot if they don’t get SAB back. People come on here to whine about how the sound effects for The Dreamer have changed. People post about how mad they are that the game went free to play. These posts are all apparently fine. But a post about player behavior somehow isn’t fine. I just don’t understand the logic there. It’s cool to whine and moan about one aspect of the game, but it’s not cool to whine and moan about chat issues/player behavior.

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

@OP don’t play the I’m a Women Card
Me and other female players bla bla…

u are so funny

nobody care ur gender in a mmo are u asking for special treatment ?
how about I start all my treats as me as person who has green eyes?

grow up and just move on or make a treat about abusive language in games but keep ur I’m a women card for ur real life maybe it works there.

GL

(ps I’m pro feminism and that’s why I hate this trying to get a better hear bcs Gender. example me as a Women think the game has not enough Jumping Puzzles, hilarious )

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

We have ignore button,it would be lot easy to use that rather than making reports and QQ on forums O.O

Godmoney.2048

Report and Block.

OP did say that she reported him/them. She didn’t say if she blocked them, though.

As a side note: People come to the forums to make thread after thread about how they’re going to riot if they don’t get SAB back. People come on here to whine about how the sound effects for The Dreamer have changed. People post about how mad they are that the game went free to play. These posts are all apparently fine. But a post about player behavior somehow isn’t fine. I just don’t understand the logic there. It’s cool to whine and moan about one aspect of the game, but it’s not cool to whine and moan about chat issues/player behavior.

Yes! ding ding ding! Because there’s a block feature. That is why it’s not ok to complain about.

Blocking and interacting with somebody is something YOU HAVE DIRECT CONTROL OVER, LITERALLY.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

To be fair, there’s always someone who joins a topic to complain about the complainers. It’s always a question of how many people agree with the info you’ve presented in the post. And of course lots of factors affect that; your use of language, tone, the general ‘mood’ of the forum.. Just happens that in this case the majority think the OP could have dealt with it without making a topic.

I Deschain I.4623

Report and Block.

You’re right, you can just report and ignore that SAB isn’t there anymore… oh wait. Despite the fact that the comparison seems odd, don’t most (all?) complaints get backfire? You make it sound like everyone happily +1’s a whine about an aspect of the game but this thread is suddenly completely different.

Retired.

RoseofGilead.8907

You’re right, you can just report and ignore that SAB isn’t there anymore… oh wait. Despite the fact that the comparison seems odd, don’t most (all?) complaints get backfire? You make it sound like everyone happily +1’s a whine about an aspect of the game but this thread is suddenly completely different.

You can ignore the fact that SAB isn’t there because, you know, it isn’t there. But anyway. I’m not saying everyone agrees with the other complaint threads, either. I’m just saying the threads about poor player behavior seem to get way more “Why did you waste time making a thread?” responses than the complaint threads about other things. But it’s still early for me, and I haven’t had my coffee, so I may just be remembering those threads badly.

My main point is just that I don’t get why so many people fall back on “It’s the internet” excuse when someone points out complete jackhole behavior (regardless of whether it’s the not-really-offensive stuff and the whoa-that’s-incredibly-messed-up stuff). Yes, it’s the internet, but that’s not an excuse to act like a disgusting pig/racist/bigot/misandrist/misogynist.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

This video has never been so relevant.

I Deschain I.4623

You can ignore the fact that SAB isn’t there because, you know, it isn’t there. But anyway. I’m not saying everyone agrees with the other complaint threads, either. I’m just saying the threads about poor player behavior seem to get way more “Why did you waste time making a thread?” responses than the complaint threads about other things. But it’s still early for me, and I haven’t had my coffee, so I may just be remembering those threads badly.

My main point is just that I don’t get why so many people fall back on “It’s the internet” excuse when someone points out complete jackhole behavior (for both the not-really-offensive stuff and the whoa-that’s-incredibly-messed-up stuff). Yes, it’s the internet, but that’s not an excuse to act like a disgusting pig/racist/bigot/misandrist/misogynist.

The difference is imo that people who want SAB back don’t really have any other way than to come to the forums and “complain” about it. On the other hand – as Godmoney.2048 pointed out – OP had full control to just stop the harassment. ANet provided the usual tool you find everywhere else to stop it, so I’d ask OP what she wants from ANet as I couldn’t really find it in her posts. Remove chat? Have a little talk with the bad boys?

PS: I agree with your second paragraph though. Then again, I don’t understand why someone needs to make such a huge deal out of this situation.

Retired.

Godmoney.2048

My main point is just that I don’t get why so many people fall back on “It’s the internet” excuse when someone points out complete jackhole behavior (regardless of whether it’s the not-really-offensive stuff and the whoa-that’s-incredibly-messed-up stuff). Yes, it’s the internet, but that’s not an excuse to act like a disgusting pig/racist/bigot/misandrist/misogynist.

Nobody is saying it’s an excuse. We’re saying you have a block feature. There’s a difference.

Obviously nobody condones verbal violence. On the other hand it has been going on for 200,000 years and I dont think it’s going to stop any time soon.

Not engaging with abusers is usually your best bet in my life experience.

A Norwegian person I once knew told me something when i dated a abusive women. She said to me “You don’t have to participate” She was right. I chose to participate. I stopped shortly after.

(edited by Godmoney.2048)

RoseofGilead.8907

u don’t even know what the guy said in mapchat

I myself prefer some rude words over the net since I love freedom of speech over every small word becomes a war, where people get banned.

The game has a ignore button that’s so wonderful about games

OP should push it and move on, or report it when it was something really extreme personal to her like. But so I don’t understand all the white knights here.

who don’t know what happen but are so on fire to protect the Princess

You’re right; we have no idea what was actually said. And that’s why I agreed with those who said to report the people, block them, and let Anet handle it. However, I’ve played the game for three years (and played other games and been on many forums), and I’ve seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst when it comes to discussions. Disgusting, rude, and cruel things DO get said, and I have no tolerance for it when it is actually offensive. Luckily, as I said in my first post here, that doesn’t happen often in GW2.

Also, I’m not protecting any Princess; I’m a woman, myself. I’m just stating what I feel to be the truth here, and that’s “It’s the internet” is not a good excuse for people acting like jerks.

u don’t even know what the guy said in mapchat

I myself prefer some rude words over the net since I love freedom of speech over every small word becomes a war, where people get banned.

The game has a ignore button that’s so wonderful about games

OP should push it and move on, or report it when it was something really extreme personal to her like. But so I don’t understand all the white knights here.

who don’t know what happen but are so on fire to protect the Princess

You’re right; we have no idea what was actually said. And that’s why I agreed with those who said to report the people, block them, and let Anet handle it. However, I’ve played the game for three years (and played other games and been on many forums), and I’ve seen the best of the best and the worst of the worst when it comes to discussions. Disgusting, rude, and cruel things DO get said, and I have no tolerance for it when it is actually offensive. Luckily, as I said in my first post here, that doesn’t happen often in GW2.

Also, I’m not protecting any Princess; I’m a woman, myself. I’m just stating what I feel to be the truth here, and that’s “It’s the internet” is not a good excuse for people acting like jerks.

Youre right, its not an excuse.

Just like its not an excuse in real life.

But people still do it, and nothing anyone says will ever change that.

Posted by: Moderator.3204

Moderator.3204

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.