EPIC Announcements for 2014

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Some important things were said the Living World 2013: The Year in Review blog post, by Colin Johanson. I just want to summarize it here for the sake of discussion.

First off: We now know Scarlett’s storyline is ending on March 4th. ArenaNet says they have 4 more patches left in her storyline. Today’s patch was the last patch in 2013, and they will be resuming their bi-weekly schedule on January 21st 2014.

Colin Johanson: After December 10, there will be just four releases left in the current major world story arc, which we like to think of as season one of the Living World. Our first release in the new year will be on January 21 as we begin our countdown to the end of this story arc. We’ll use the longer break to spend extra time to ensure that our final four releases are as polished and exciting as possible.

Second off: It is possible we’re going to see expansion-type content in early 2014. ArenaNet says that after Scarlett’s story arch ends they’re going to release a “features only” patch.

Colin Johanson: Due to the size and scope of the final four story releases in season one, the next round of major features will be bundled together into a large “feature only” release that will come after the first season of the Living World 2014 has finished.

ArenaNet has said in the past that the Living Story and expansion-type content aren’t mutually-exclusive. It sounds to me like that’s what we’re going to see in early 2014 from this “features only” patch and Scarlett’s last 4 patches.
What do you guys think about ArenaNet’s approach to these next 5 patches? It’s an obvious a deviation from their mandatory bi-weekly schedule. Do you expect these last 5 patches will differ quality-wise from what we’ve seen in the past?

Here is a link to the full blog-post if you want to read it.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I can’t wait for Scarlett to be dead and gone story wise. I want to get back to the dragon lore.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Probably fix all the features that should have already been in the game.

Then i can only pray the bad case of food poisoning falls into some lava. Ring of Fire sound fun. Maybe her food poisoning gives Primordus gas or something…. You know so we actually have something to do with those other Elder Dragons.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’m more or less non as concerned with who the villain is as I am concerned about: Are the current alliance of enemies going to pack a lot of Cripple, Immobilize, Invulnerability or Confusion.

I mean the thing about Scarl…
Oh wait this thread isn’t really about that!

I’m not getting my hopes up yet, but it does sound like they are going to make some changes to the way releases work.

I was really excited about the 2 week process when we were in the Zephyr Sanctum / Queen Jennah phase, but it seemed to have thinned out since then.

Really though, we were all just psyched about those “new skills and traits” and we’re still waiting.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

I don’t believe them. They said the exact same thing 1 year ago. An expansion worth of content which turned out to be a temporary fiasco. Not holding breath at this time.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Amon.5042

Amon.5042

Yes, please! It’s painful to verify that guilds, the trading post, and other features are still in need of improvement. More than a year later, it’s about time to clean up the house before introducing massive new stuff.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

Yes, please! It’s painful to verify that guilds, the trading post, and other features are still in need of improvement. More than a year later, it’s about time to clean up the house before introducing massive new stuff.

Agreed but I was more or less looking for actual expansion content rather than ring around the rosie or duck duck scarlet! needless to say all of the living story updates imo beat around the bush was only useful for the ap other than that pointless to the game. I’ve been wanting tengu since about 2 months into the game SOME THING NEW PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF BAHLTHAZAR and DHUUM!

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

im definitely calling Tengu are coming around March 18th, right after Scarlets to be R.I.P. date March 4th

TheJokester.4672

im definitely calling Tengu are coming around March 18th, right after Scarlets to be R.I.P. date March 4th

if you are right……Will you marry me?

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

you a dude or chick?

TheJokester.4672

you a dude or chick?

does it matter? we will have tengu children!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Some important things were said the Living World 2013: The Year in Review blog post. I just want to summarize it here for the sake of discussion.

First off: We now know Scarlett’s storyline is ending on March 4th. ArenaNet says they have 4 more patches left in her storyline. Today’s patch was the last patch in 2013, and they will be resuming their bi-weekly schedule on January 21st 2014.

After December 10, there will be just four releases left in the current major world story arc, which we like to think of as season one of the Living World. Our first release in the new year will be on January 21 as we begin our countdown to the end of this story arc. We’ll use the longer break to spend extra time to ensure that our final four releases are as polished and exciting as possible.

Second off: It is possible we’re going to see expansion-type content in early 2014. ArenaNet says that after Scarlett’s story arch ends they’re going to release a “features only” patch.

Due to the size and scope of the final four story releases in season one, the next round of major features will be bundled together into a large “feature only” release that will come after the first season of the Living World 2014 has finished.

ArenaNet has said in the past that the Living Story and expansion-type content aren’t mutually-exclusive. It sounds to me like that’s what we’re going to see in early 2014 from this “features only” patch and Scarlett’s last 4 patches.
What do you guys think about ArenaNet’s approach to these next 5 patches? It’s an obvious a deviation from their mandatory bi-weekly schedule. Do you expect these last 5 patches will differ in quality-wise from we’ve seen in the past?

Here is a link to the full blog-post if you want to read it.

That was pretty much what I thought when I read the blog post.
We know that they have been working on stuff behind the scenes and it always looked to me that Scarlet was leading into a bigger story.

There have also been hints at a big announcement early next year.
So my bet is that the Scarlet arc will lead to big things and impact the world in ways we can’t imagine yet.

Gunnar’s Hold

TheJokester.4672

no offense meant but I can imagine a few based on this year of gw2 and I think it will result in me quitting gw2 for good bad enough once every 3 months or so I pop in and check forums and maybe get on the game for 25 30 mins

Finnway.2183

So my bet is that the Scarlet arc will lead to big things and impact the world in ways we can’t imagine yet.

That’s what I think too. When Scarlett’s arc ends I think we will have a much broader view of Tyria.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

There’s very little information available to see what their full intentions are.

Early 2014 will have many hot releases across PC and consoles. Not just RPGs.

If all they can muster is another Scooby Doo villian and ascended crafting; GW2 will seal itself into its own coffin.

TheJokester.4672

lol Calae but you are right they should have stuck to their take on gw1 but with a new twist they completely murdered the franchise currently but they can save it………maybe

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I see the hiatus as a means of delaying the “season one” ending (8 weeks beyond 1/21/14 assuming 2 weeks per update, 4 LW updates plus one features update). The reason for this could be so that season 2 can incorporate feedback from the Cooperative Development Initiative. The break also allows them to let employees have more time off for the holidays.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Let’s overhype now so we can be disapointed later!

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

This game has given us some nice time for a couple of months. Let’s get ready for 2014 games! What are your favourites?

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

TheJokester.4672

Darc is right we should wait to see if they begin throwing the dirt on the coffin or put it on life support to make a recovery

TheJokester.4672

This game has given us some nice time for a couple of months. Let’s get ready for 2014 games! What are your favourites?

I would drop this game like a sack of potatoes if Kingdom Hearts 3 releases no lie sorry anet I love you but I love KH more

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

How many times over the last year have we been told that “An epic event that will rock Tyria to its very core” is going to happen? Pretty much every 2 weeks I think.

TheJokester.4672

How many times over the last year have we been told that “An epic event that will rock Tyria to its very core” is going to happen? Pretty much every 2 weeks I think.

times it was true? once Mini Liadri the queens jubalie was awesome for the gauntlet

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

“We’ll add tons of new awesome content while also fixing up the game, and we’ll add tons of new features too!”

They said the same thing a year ago. It didn’t happen. It’s not going to happen now.

Hearing insincere pompous pronouncements like “Epic events that will rock you to your very core!” is just, I’m sorry, sickening. It’s such a far cry from the way developers addressed us in the Manifesto. It just sounds so… empty…

Worse yet, considering all the criticism they’ve been getting over the direction of Living Story, Scarlet, Ascended, etc., etc., it sounds outright insulting.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Oh?
I must be playing a completely different version than you then Draco, because I have seen a massive amount of fixes and new features since last year.

And content being awesome is of course a matter of opinion.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

That feel when Scarlet ends up being your ally in 2014.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

I’m giving them Jan and Feb to hold my interest, if its the same checklist achievement garbage I’m out of here until the real expansion. Too many good games coming out to waste time waiting for something to happen on here

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

I must be playing a completely different version than you then Draco, because I have seen a massive amount of fixes and new features since last year.

Maybe you have.

When you look at the patchnotes and press releases, it definitely sounds like lots of epic stuff is being added and improved all the time. When you play the game, however, it’s downright impossible to tell the difference from the early beta.

The temporary content – what little there was – is gone without a trace, and everything that was broken or lacking then is still broken and lacking now.

I’ll give it to you that the Fractals were the one good, proper addition. Their overall quality and ascended trinkets and treadmill nonsense that came with them notwithstanding.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Epic Content… Anet, you “keep using that word, i do not think it means what you think it means” [cit.]

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

They said at the beginning of this year that there will be epic content, new skills and possibly new weapons for each classes.

All we got was Scarlet shenanigans, mmore ascended gear grinding and one new healing skill. I am not holding my breath for the epic 2014 content.

Finnway.2183

I love how I changed the title to this thread and suddenly it gets noticed. The old title was “Expansion content in 2014?”and the thread died. Now that I changed it to “EPIC Content Is Coming In 2014” I’m only attracting vitriol, and no one has replied to anything I said in the OP.

/changed again

(edited by Finnway.2183)

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

In the spirit of Kiel/Gnashblade, 2014 will see an election battle between Scarlet and Trahearne for King Of All Cosmos.

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

OP – I guess it depends on what you consider “expansion content.” If you expect to see traditional MMO expansion content and new features devs have never talked about, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I expect the large “feature only” release to include most of the features they wanted to roll out in 2013 but missed, such as precursor crafting, maybe additional legendaries, and some new skills / traits, along with the additional sPvP features they are working on (see recent blog post). Are they working on any features for WvW? Maybe the new WvW map will land in this release also. I would hope account bound WXP launches before March.

But “expansion content” like new zones, races, weapons, levels, etc? Nah, I don’t expect that in a “feature only” release. If they want to open new zones and races, and do it correctly, they would put a story behind it. Why are we gaining access to the zone now? Why are we meeting a new playable race? That needs to be story driven.

W.r.t. weapons, I personally think that’s just too far down the road at the moment. So far they have given us two new healing skills only. I would expect to see several utilities, and maybe even a few elites before new weapons.

Of course I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised…

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Doesn’t anyone remember Colin speaking about “expansion worth of content” for free before the start of 2013?

Does anyone remember what was released in the first few months of 2013?

Should we expect anything different?

Finnway.2183

But “expansion content” like new zones, races, weapons, levels, etc? Nah, I don’t expect that in a “feature only” release. If they want to open new zones and races, and do it correctly, they would put a story behind it. Why are we gaining access to the zone now? Why are we meeting a new playable race? That needs to be story driven.

That’s the point though. The patch is following the last 4 patches of Scarlett’s story-arch, which ArenaNet is taking time off to make it “as polished and exciting as possible” in their own words.
To me, that sounds like an expansion that has story-content that takes a month to get through and adds new features.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

I’de gladly pay $59.95 USD for an entire other planet to explore and associated content (following the same GW1 formula for expansions, Cantha anyone?)

These bimonthly LS updates may be “free” but they are temporary so as a casual player all I’ve got to show for them are a bunch of half finished metas in my history panel.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Angel made mention of some Sylvari stuff going down in 2014. Maybe Scarlet’s story will lead to Magus Falls and the surrounding areas, to confront Modremoth?

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I don’t know, I’ve lost hope in them. This is also coming from the “…everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game…” and “…no gear treadmills…” guy.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Finnway.2183

^^ I never said she was. I merely said her story-arch was coming to a close.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Way too late. LS, Season 1 ended for me months ago.

And honestly, Anet’s new statements just sound like their usual spin. I wouldn’t be surprised at all their original plan was to end the Scarlet arc in early March anyway and they’re just making it sound like they’re listening to their customers’ demands to end it early.

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

If you put all content released this year together you get an expansion’s worth of content, maybe more.

But i agree that eventually they will have to release content in bigger chunks. I really can’t picture how adding another elder dragon with Orr like worth of content would work via Living World.

(edited by zMajc.4659)

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The only thing I read out of this is:

“We want to do this content right, we cannot do that with a bi-weekly schedule. So this time, we take the time we need.
Afterwards, we will go back to the bi-weekly schedule, and the content will be buggy and fail again.”

Just get rid of the bi-weekly schedule already. Give us updates, when they are ready.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I would drop this game like a sack of potatoes if Kingdom Hearts 3 releases no lie sorry anet I love you but I love KH more

Watch SE release KH 2.67543 and tells everyone that it rounds up to 3.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m afraid you may be right.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

Some important things were said the Living World 2013: The Year in Review blog post, by Colin Johanson.

No. It has been said by Colin…

Colin Johanson: After December 10, there will be just four releases left in the current major world story arc, which we like to think of as season one of the Living World. Our first release in the new year will be on January 21 as we begin our countdown to the end of this story arc. We’ll use the longer break to spend extra time to ensure that our final four releases are as polished and exciting as possible.

When there is a season one, there is a good chance, they will annoy us with a season two. Who promised exactly, a second story arc be without Scarlett?

Colin Johanson: Due to the size and scope of the final four story releases in season one, the next round of major features will be bundled together into a large “feature only” release that will come after the first season of the Living World 2014 has finished.

Colin also said we would get new legendary weapons and trinkets in 2013. He offered craftable precursor and hinted at more then mere healing skills. Face it: when Colin Johanson tells you about something, it does not mean, it will happen.

Wait and see, and if something happens, that you like. But don’t take Colins words for anything other than words. There is nothing in this text with the exception of the end of season one and some sort of feature patch. We have been disappointed to often to enjoy such texts.

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

If you put all content released this year together you get an expansion’s worth of content, maybe more.

This is a joke?

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

You know what 4 more releases from 21 January means? The feature release will be on 18 March. That is… 3 months from now! 3 months! >_<

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

This is a joke?

No? I’m playing MMO’s since EQ more than 10 years ago and i think i have see my share of content additions and expansions over the years in most major MMO’s. Everything together added since release is more than most MMO’s get in full expansion.

Most modern MMO’s get a moderate sized expansion once a year or every two years and mini content patches every two months. In between you get bored senseless for months whereas here you get somethin to do every two weeks.

(edited by zMajc.4659)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I don’t care what way they go with LS aslong as they open up the Crystal Desert and the Maguuma Jungle, after all they haven’t been explored for what 250 years, when they announced that there would be an Epic event that would shock Tyria, I joked with a friend on TS that Scarlet was going to fill LA with the Hyrda’s from the Crystal Desert so when you spawn in there M/Shower follows you over the map like it used to in GW1 LOL.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I think there will be something far more interesting than the Fall of Scarlet or any sort of “Feature Only” release just a few short weeks after March 4th. ArenaNet have had their chance. I’m excited for something else now, for this Spring (or Fall, for you Down Under types).