ESO brought me back to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coalwhite.2571

Coalwhite.2571

This has to be said.

I haven’t played GW2 for about a year, maybe a bit more. I reached end-game back then, played around and after a while gave up because I got bored and lag was pretty bad back then (this was also around the time the trading shop was down for a few days for Mac users only). Then ESO was announced and I was like: suck it ArenaNet, Bethesda is going to take all your players.

In any case, fast forward almost a year and despite seeing tons of new and exciting GW2 news I decide to buy ESO Online now that it’s finally B2P. This thing costs 60$, and there’s no refund – but I think: hey, how bad can it be – it’s from the guys that made Skyrim.

ESO is so darn uninspired it made me upset! I’ve logged 25 hours in the game, around 13 of those are install hours o_O

Battle is a drag, the in-game world is boring to explore and the skills are not adding to the battle at all yet. Lore is great though, I’ll give them that. But really, there’s no strategy and hitboxes are deplorably bad. After about three days of frustration and boredom I can no longer force myself to play it, and am downloading GW2 as I type this.

Maybe because I’m older or have just played more games, but I look back on my time with GW2 and I remember excitement, mystery and great, challenging combat. Glad to be back, let’s hope the magic hasn’t faded (…. and that they didn’t stop working on the Mac client!!!!)

Anyone else come here from ESO?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Took me a minute to figure out that you were talking about Elder Scrolls Online.

That is what you are talking about, yes?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Wyn.5724

Wyn.5724

Just a note ESO is made by ZeniMax Online Studios, it’s only published by Bethesda.

Make sure to add the -Streamingclient command for the GW2 launcher, then you don’t have to wait for the whole thing to download.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I may be biased towards ESO thanks to having a friend who works on it, but I’ve enjoyed it as an occasional break from GW2. The questing is far more immersive, and GW2 has trained me in mobile fighting so I can handle it in ESO quite well (also, I’m a DK using bow and Ardent Flame and I feel soooo OP … my forays into the other 3 classes have felt far less powerful). I have fun with the combat and I really love the spell animations … still trying to figure out how one player I saw sent a rolling vertical hoop of fire at a foe, because I must has.

Yet GW2 is more compelling. Jump physics work, the painterly style is beautiful, armor has much more variety, and GW2 is core-designed to bring people together. ESO’s phasing and node stealing makes it almost impossible to quest with friends unless you never play without the other one there. Interaction with the world feels much smoother.

I’ve been with both games since they launched (also did WoD launch and AA launch, I’ve quit AA with extreme prejudice), and nothing’s pulling me away from GW2 so far.

Coalwhite.2571

There’s still no edit button?! Ha, yes – I’m talking about Elder Scrolls Online. And you are right about Zenimax.

Streaming Client won’t do much for me I believe as I deleted the game way back. Have to re-download the entire thing.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

You should see a little pencil icon at the bottom of your post to edit. When haven’t we had it?

I’ve popped into ESO from time to time. I don’t mind it but I vastly prefer GW2.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

it’s from the guys that made Skyrim.

And this was your first mistake. It’s published by Bethesda, but that’s about it.

Personally, while I’m not “coming to GW2 from ESO”, I actually really liked ESO’s questing, and skills and combat were so-so. The one unforgivable crime that I wouldn’t abide for is that even after four major patches (back when I tried it) and even now after six major patches, they still haven’t put in guilds that should have been in on day one, no exceptions (Thieves’ Guild and Dark Brotherhood). I mean, what the hell? You only have four ‘classes’ and everyone playing a shadowblade can just kitten off? Oh, just join the fighter’s guild, yeah, right. Who even cared about the fighter’s guilds in any Elder Scrolls game? Skyrim didn’t even really have one, considering the Companions were really just a werewolf questline in disguise.

I mean, okay, fine, they finally got around to introducing the Justice system so you can actually steal things. The guilds are obviously coming, but they completely and utterly failed hard by not including them release, and not having them on the re-release is even more ridiculous. I’ll try it again when they finally get around to having at least the bare minimum of content for everyone.

Coalwhite.2571

As far as I’m concerned, Bethesda is more than partly responsible though they are only the publisher. In any case.

Questing wasn’t remotely interesting to me, and the world feels a little empty somehow (not expansive, though it is big).

But combact, which is such a central aspect became boring so quickly. In games like Torchlight 1 and 2 there’s frantic action and decisions need to be made fast – and stat points distribution are crucial. In GW2 you’ve got some of the same elements, but less frantic and not so much speed (skill mastery/combination is crucial though).

But in ESO you can back up a little or dodge, and you’re out of harms way – there’s even an indicator for the size and area for your enemies’ next attack. Granted as a thief in GW2 you can also dodge, but it’s skill related and you’re low HP as a Thief so you need to dodge strategically to survive. Plus the way combat is engineered enemies won’t let you escape that easily.

Bah, I don’t want to bash it too much. It’s still a work in progress, so I’ll have to start over again in some months. But for now, I’m looking to GW2 to sate my appetite.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

This thing costs 60$, and there’s no refund – but I think: hey, how bad can it be – it’s from the guys that made Skyrim

That’s your problem right there. ESO wasn’t made by Bethesda, but by ZeniMax Online Studios, a studio opened by Zenimax, Bethesda’s mother company, just to make ESO. Bethesda only published it.

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

Although i never had any intentions of leaving GW2 for good, I love this game for the most part, I did want to love ESO. I really REALLY wanted to love ESO. I wanted to love it as badly as Angry Joe wanted to love SWtOR. But….it just didn’t deliver. It’s the grindfest of grindfests. ESO has no horizontal progression, and terrible end game with no real reason to log in every day other than trying to grind out to the new level cap that they added. And then, two months later: oh hey, they increased the level cap again…….oh joy…….

No. It’s GW2 for me. It’s a far superior game.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

ESO is so darn uninspired it made me upset! I’ve logged 25 hours in the game, around 13 of those are install hours o_O

At 12 hours that’s still more than most $60 games -_-

Look, ESO is real simple: If you just want a game to lazily play for a while, its worth it. With 3 factions you got plenty of time to spend. Its nowhere near Skyrim, but questwise its actually very good for an MMO. I’m not sure I would advice it at full $60 pricetag now though. Its been selling here for less than $20 in stores, which its definetly worth.

A game that you want to get heavily invested in and expect years of gaming out of? Uh… questionable. Its decent but not that good. They botched their WvW from the start (even ignoring vampires), which is the entire endgame. The ingame guild and community support was just plain abyssmal. The endgame PvE sucked. Combat is nowhere near as smooth as GW2. I doubt its much of a difference now, but I havent played since its f2p.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

This has to be said.

I haven’t played GW2 for about a year, maybe a bit more. I reached end-game back then, played around and after a while gave up because I got bored and lag was pretty bad back then (this was also around the time the trading shop was down for a few days for Mac users only). Then ESO was announced and I was like: suck it ArenaNet, Bethesda is going to take all your players.

In any case, fast forward almost a year and despite seeing tons of new and exciting GW2 news I decide to buy ESO Online now that it’s finally B2P. This thing costs 60$, and there’s no refund – but I think: hey, how bad can it be – it’s from the guys that made Skyrim.

Battle is a drag, the in-game world is boring to explore and the skills are not adding to the battle at all yet. Lore is great though, I’ll give them that. But really, there’s no strategy and hitboxes are deplorably bad. After about three days of frustration and boredom I can no longer force myself to play it, and am downloading GW2 as I type this.

Maybe because I’m older or have just played more games, but I look back on my time with GW2 and I remember excitement, mystery and great, challenging combat. Glad to be back, let’s hope the magic hasn’t faded (…. and that they didn’t stop working on the Mac client!!!!)

eso is actually not made by the people who made skyrim

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have issues with games that charge a sub for months when the game is barely worth playing and then, after building up a lot of money, expect me to support them when they’re free to play.

It’s like saying, okay play me now after I’ve ripped off everyone else. It doesn’t sit well with me.

But I also wanted to like ESO can it felt far too generic for me. It also felt like I was playing a much older game. And I hate phasing because I really do want to quest with other people.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well I’m still going to buy it when it comes out for ps4. I had fun with the beta and just doing the main story and explore will be fun enough for me to get it.
Besides HoT wont be out when eso goes to ps4 in june…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

At least ESO doesn’t have the horror stories about support that Archeage has, like the ones about mass bannings of innocent people. One reason was because their automated banning system saw people rubberbanding because of lag and banned them for teleporting. Archeage’s support won’t even let you call them if you get banned. You have to use the ticket system, which could take weeks.

I remember one post on that forum during the time of mass banning, where someone was loading the game for the first time and was asking on the forum for some tips for new people. He posted in the thread later to say, “I tried to log on and found out I’ve been banned. I haven’t even played yet”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve had almost the opposite experience of ESO. I got it as soon as I heard they were dropping the subscription and I’ve been really enjoying it.

Maybe it helps that my expectations were lower than many peoples seem to have been. I’m not really an MMO player, I don’t do playing just 1 game at a time so I wasn’t looking for something to top GW2 and become my new sole hobby, I just like the idea of the Elder Scrolls world with other people in it. Maybe it also helps that it only cost me £12 because I got it before everyone bumped their prices back up for the ’"re-release".

On the other hand a combination of playing that and discussing other MMOs with friends did inspire me to make this thread about things GW2 players take for granted that other games don’t do.

It may not be perfect (no game is) but this is definitely one of my all-time favourites.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I’m actually heading back to eso as soon as it finishes downloading. I’ve had an account basically since release and got bored of it when I hit v1, so I cancelled my sub. I’m interested to see the changes made since release, explore areas I haven’t been in and perhaps reminisce a little too.

Heck, I’ve even been playing Tera while waiting on eso because of how little there is for me to do in gw2. Do I miss aspects of it? Of course! But one-shotting everything at lower levels, new tiers of better gear and new level caps are things I can deal with when other games actually give me content that I haven’t faced before.

The only thing that’s remotely keeping me in gw2 is my guild. I’m tired of it all being fashion wars once you hit 80. I’ll come back for HoT no doubt, but until then if I’m in-game I’ll only be there to chat at guildies.

sigh as frustrated as I get at it, yes it’s one of my favourite mmos, and everything else I play will be compared to it in some way. But once I’ve exhausted all the content on multiple characters, it begins to feel like a chore.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Played ESO during beta, and knew right away it was gonna be bad. Taking a sandbox franchise and turning into a linear MMO was doomed to fail. Also while Zenimax is the main developer they did use Bethesda developers to help with it.

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

I came here from ESO when i played it in Beta, it reminded me of GW2, only that it would cost so much more, and is way inferior in so many ways.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I tired ESO for a week. I felt like some of the color had been zapped out of my monitor. The world was so bland looking. The game play was slow, boring and stale. I got a full refund.

The Burninator

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Ouch, I bought ESO just ahead of its re-release and I’m loving it.

It’s a mad cross between Skyrim and Morrowind and my nostalgia is going overboard with it and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

That said, I’m enjoying it as an Elder Scrolls game first, rather than an MMO and Guild Wars is still my main game that I play daily for hours on end during my main gaming hours.

I don’t think it’s particularly fair to ridicule a game in another games main forum considering the people here (myself included) are Guild Wars 2 fans, it’s a little biassed and it wouldn’t be nice to turn fans of both franchises off from purchasing the game if they read this.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If only my Sylvari could be a Plant Werewolf, ESO would have nothing on GW2.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t think it’s particularly fair to ridicule a game in another games main forum considering the people here (myself included) are Guild Wars 2 fans, it’s a little biassed and it wouldn’t be nice to turn fans of both franchises off from purchasing the game if they read this.

Ahh but there was a time here on the forum where people were saying ESO was going to be the GW2 killer. Of course there was a time when WildStar was too and Archeage. So I think it is fair.

The Burninator

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Ahh but there was a time here on the forum where people were saying ESO was going to be the GW2 killer. Of course there was a time when WildStar was too and Archeage. So I think it is fair.

Each game has their niche of player nothing wrong with that, each game got their golden points has they do better and worse in differents aspects.

HoT will be the gw2 killer…..

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

psizone.8437

Ahh but there was a time here on the forum where people were saying ESO was going to be the GW2 killer. Of course there was a time when WildStar was too and so on. So I think it is fair.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and I’m almost positive most of those threads were closed swiftly.

JustTrogdor.7892

Ahh but there was a time here on the forum where people were saying ESO was going to be the GW2 killer. Of course there was a time when WildStar was too and so on. So I think it is fair.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, and I’m almost positive most of those threads were closed swiftly.

There are no wrongs to make right. The OP and others are talking about why they prefer GW2 over ESO. This is the GW2 forum so it is fair game to say why you like their game over others on their game forums. And no, many of those threads went on for some time. They may have been closed eventually but not swiftly by any means.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Vayne.8563

Ouch, I bought ESO just ahead of its re-release and I’m loving it.

It’s a mad cross between Skyrim and Morrowind and my nostalgia is going overboard with it and I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

That said, I’m enjoying it as an Elder Scrolls game first, rather than an MMO and Guild Wars is still my main game that I play daily for hours on end during my main gaming hours.

I’m an elder scrolls fan too, and desperately wanted to like that game. Hell there are people who come here and ridicule Guild Wars 2. What wouldn’t be fair would be going to ESO’s site and ridiculing it.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

This has to be said.

Funny, the opposite is true for me.

I only log into GW2 for daily login rewards and daily achievements right now. There hasn’t been any new content for GW2 since the Festival of the Ram which was essentially just a handful of dailies as it was.

I’m sorry Arenanet but Esports tournaments are not going to hold my interest. No matter how much Esports GARBAGE you try to stuff down my throat the only response you get from me in regards for it is me vomiting it back up on your shoes.

Is there really nothing new to come until HoT? How long is that going to be?

I’m glad I now have another sub free option I enjoy, so I’ve been playing ESO, which I’ve always liked I just didn’t like paying a sub. I like the new justice system they just added, and unlike GW2, they’ve added 2 new dungeons (1 veteran version of an old dungeon that expands upon the dungeon so much it’s actually new since you go THROUGH the portal into the Deadlands that is the end encounter of the old dungeon, 1 entirely new dungeon), 1 new raid, a new zone, since I was last subbed about 6 months ago.

That content is also permanent, unlike most updates in GW2.

I mean seriously, the last update before this botched camera update we had was just to REMOVE content.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Devildoc.6721

In fact this image has never been more true than now:

Attachments:

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It took me two beta trials to know ESO’s fate. It’s also the first game, I did not buy after I tried the beta when the game went live. Ever.

Gone to Reddit.

Devildoc.6721

It took me two beta trials to know ESO’s fate. It’s also the first game, I did not buy after I tried the beta when the game went live. Ever.

The fate was going the same business model as GW2.

It’s also changed in massive ways.

The last patch log was 80 pages long.

Vayne.8563

It’s very rare a game gets a second chance. I mean it has happened, but there are many MMOs that have made huge improvements after launch that people gave up on anyway.

Final Fantasy XIV was an exception but most MMOs don’t get that luxury. ESO has the console advantage, but even with that, I think for many that ship has sailed. It doesn’t really help that Archeage and Wildstar both had bad launches. I’m always going to play an MMO, but that’s not true for most people. Many people walk away from the genre.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

In fact this image has never been more true than now:

I love that picture so much.

Then it reminds me of SAB and I get sad again.

Posted by: Magnnus.5169

Magnnus.5169

Do you still need a subscription to play? That’s a deal breaker for myself, and many others. Even if the game improved, most won’t be willing to renew a subscription just to find out.

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Eso is buy to play now like gw2.

Vayne.8563

Not quite exactly like Guild Wars 2, there’s still an optional subscription.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The only thing I would be interested in knowing about ESO is if it still has garbage questing like it had at launch. Some of the worst immersion breaking questing I’ve ever seen in an MMORPG, phasing everywhere. Playing with a friend or guildie was a nightmare of epic proportions.

I’ll take quests that repeat on timers (like the dynamic events) over that garbage questing of ESO. Did they finally make the game dynamic or it still restricts parties from doing quests together?

That was my deal breaker for ESO, no immersion, no reason to party up, no reason to quest with friends. One the WORST PVE experiences in any MMORPG I’ve ever tried.

Posted by: AivenPrimus.9184

AivenPrimus.9184

There are still people who cant accept harsh truth about ESO – It is terrible… even more than that.

It would have been fine for a game if it was released 5 years ago…but not in this generation.

Might as well change Title of the game, and some lines in story… and VOILA, you wouldnt even recognize it as a ‘’Elder Scrolls’’ game..

Even at its launch it was bugged and half-baked, seemingly suggesting that you should smoke weed, to see the ’’color’’ of the game …
And since Zenimax needed money to ’’fix’’ this issue since they obviously failed, … they blatantly set up ridiculous price for game, including that failure DLC and more importantly 15$ sub.

There is still a lot more that you could mention…but it would turn out into a 10 page essay.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

At least ESO doesn’t have the horror stories about support that Archeage has, like the ones about mass bannings of innocent people. One reason was because their automated banning system saw people rubberbanding because of lag and banned them for teleporting. Archeage’s support won’t even let you call them if you get banned. You have to use the ticket system, which could take weeks.

I remember one post on that forum during the time of mass banning, where someone was loading the game for the first time and was asking on the forum for some tips for new people. He posted in the thread later to say, “I tried to log on and found out I’ve been banned. I haven’t even played yet”

Before I seared ArcheAge with mind bullets and burned it into an ashpile, I used to travel up and down on my little farm wagon playing “Spot the Bot.” It got quite easy after a while. But AA was terrible with support, terrible with so many other things, too (except horses and gliders). ’tis a game that hates its players and wants to torture them at any and all opportunities. The last time I contacted them was to ask them to remove all my details from their systems so I could detach myself from the whole sorry mess and never look back (except on odd occasions like this, where I can enjoy the weight-off-the-shoulders feeling!).

I did Beta for ESO and have never wanted to step foot in its darkened halls ever again. It made me mildly irritated, to say the least.

No, GW2 is still where it’s at, even with my characters voicing all the other PCs on the map, with squiffy guild communications, with whatever other havoc the last patch wrought! I’m still quite a happy camper here!

• pls send HoT beta invite, lovely, lovely Anet devs! <3 *
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Ah, Bethesda Software. ANet’s supreme marketing department.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I played ESO before and during the very botched launch.
Even though the bugs were horrible I really liked it. What sold me was an actual working implementation of a LIVING STORY!

Depending on your choice during a certain part of your beginning story, quite a few characters get killed of AND it actually changes the map permanently for YOU ( instanced maps, how do they work, eh ANet? ).
But then they began “adapting” vital parts of the starting experience, because the crybabies couldn´t cope with being oh so restricted. And the whole thing basically never made sense after.
I see they still didn´t fix that part.

What made me lapse my sub was the HORRIBLE inventory system. I was basically forced into creating mules. On top of that the log/relog “minigame” took about 10x as long as it does in GW2.
Also I wasn´t impressed AT ALL by the idea that after finishing your faction you had to grind through the areas of the other 2 factions, but simply at a higher level.
As an altoholic I already did that, but would have to repeat it over and over again for every different toon.
Thus I never really bothered with the veteran endgame.

The ONLY thing really superior is the WuwWuw part of ESO. It´s an awesomely humongous continuous map that actually feels like war, including PvE where you can get jumped by the enemy.
Compared to the tiny Zerg racetracks GW2 offers.
These gimmicky future sand-maps aren´t impressing me much either.

Never bothered with guilds or grouping, so didn´t experience the borked phasing either.
Also I won´t go back to ESO until the console launch.
I payed enough for beta testing the game at launch, and the time now leading up to it looks suspiciously like yet another chance for Zenimax to test their latest clever ideas on our PC gamer backs.

HOLY WORDWALL BATMAN! O_o
tl;dr ESO is not that bad, inventory is real bad, WvW is better, wait till console launch.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Meh, I though the phasing was awesome in that it allowed me to have my own personal version of the world. And yes, it’s good.

But it’s not what I am looking for in my MMORPG. I want this done properly, in my Dragon Age, Planescape or Mass Effect. In my MMORPG, I’m looking to socialize, and every single phasing makes this inconsistent. I am not trying to play a RPG here, effectively I’m trying to play the world’s most complicated chat room minigame together with others.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Meh, I though the phasing was awesome in that it allowed me to have my own personal version of the world. And yes, it’s good.

But it’s not what I am looking for in my MMORPG. I want this done properly, in my Dragon Age, Planescape or Mass Effect. In my MMORPG, I’m looking to socialize, and every single phasing makes this inconsistent. I am not trying to play a RPG here, effectively I’m trying to play the world’s most complicated chat room minigame together with others.

Yeah, phasing is a terrible system in an MMORPG, it makes it feel like a Massively SINGLE Player Online RPG. If someone wants a personal version of the world, then instanced based games are far superior to any phasing system, like for example Guild Wars 1. Those games allow players to actually play together (the “Multiplayer” part) because the instanced world you see, is based on the instance owner / party leader so you don’t have to go through a lot of preparation to get the entire group on the same quests and quest steps.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I predicted ESO would go free to play sooner or later. I got bored of it before the world started opening up. The story is so typically cliché at the start and the quests really don’t come to life with the instancing and didn’t grasp me with a good sense of story.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

psizone.8437

There are no wrongs to make right. The OP and others are talking about why they prefer GW2 over ESO. This is the GW2 forum so it is fair game to say why you like their game over others on their game forums. And no, many of those threads went on for some time. They may have been closed eventually but not swiftly by any means.

Calling a game bad in a forum where it’s unlikely to have any fans is in poor taste, so I’d say there’s plenty wrong there.

Guild Wars is in a good place, we don’t need to bash on other MMOs to say that our game is good fun.

Devildoc.6721

Do you still need a subscription to play? That’s a deal breaker for myself, and many others. Even if the game improved, most won’t be willing to renew a subscription just to find out.

No, it went B2P this week. Same business model as GW2, buy the game play sub free, cosmetics in a cash shop.

The way it honestly should have been since launch.

Really it was like subscribers were paying for beta, the game is now what it should have been at launch for the most part.

Still want to see spellcrafting and the PVP side of the justice system get added for it to really be complete though.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No, it went B2P this week. Same business model as GW2, buy the game play sub free, cosmetics in a cash shop.

Really it was like subscribers were paying for beta, the game is now what it should have been at launch for the most part.

Still want to see spellcrafting and the PVP side of the justice system get added for it to really be complete though.

the catch is, unless you’re subbing, you won’t get any content patches. So you either sub, or pay like 10£ every time a patch comes out. Which is not true for GW2.

Devildoc.6721

Not quite exactly like Guild Wars 2, there’s still an optional subscription.

The “subscription” is more or less an automatic purchase of cash shop currency every month. You pay $15 a month, you get $15 worth of “crowns”, and there are some perks on top of that. It’s a little different than other MMO’s with optional “freemium” subs that I’ve encountered where you pay $15, they temporarily uncripple the client (the F2P accounts are often extremely crippled), and give you $5 worth of cash shop currency per month. Here your entire subscription payment is exchanged for the value of crowns you would have purchased if you weren’t subbing but just buying crowns. It’s like if Arenanet were to add an option to automatically buy 800 gems a month for $10 a month, and then added some minor bonuses to it like 10% increased xp from kills.

Whether you subscribe or decide for yourself without subscription to spend $10, you get 800 gems, just the recurring subscription adds a bonus on top I guess.

Still, wholly unnecessary, as the game client and accounts, like GW2, are not crippled and requiring a freemium subscription to have full functionality.

The game isn’t going to be to anyone’s tastes, I hear a lot of complaints about the combat, which I like since it’s more action oriented (plays like Oblivion, with right mouse blocking left mouse attacking, holding down to power attack, and manual aim no tab targetting), and it does not play much like a standard MMO at all, so if you go in expecting an MMO like experience being able to tab target and autoattack your way through, prepare for disappointment, but the business model is fair.

I encourage more MMO’s to go B2P, as it’s honest.

B2P is a store saying “we made this product, would you like to buy it?” you buy the product, you enjoy the product free of future obligations.

Subscription is like mafia, they sell you some property, and then charge you “protection fees” every month. They might promise other things to go with the protection fees, like landscaping or other amenities, but you’re still handing them money hand over fist on a regular basis and they can decide whether or not to deliver on those “promises”

F2P is like an auto-shop/used car dealership, where they GIVE you a car for free but it breaks down in the lot, they tell you they can fix it, but it’s going to cost you, then it breaks down again a few feet down the road, they tell you they can fix it, but it’ll cost even more, so then they sell you on a “service plan” to pay money on a regular basis and fixing the car is “covered”, until you stop paying, then the car will mysteriously break down again.

Devildoc.6721

the catch is, unless you’re subbing, you won’t get any content patches. So you either sub, or pay like 10£ every time a patch comes out. Which is not true for GW2.

I missed the Memo where HoT is going to be free. How about you give me a source on that.

Yes there’s a grace period for Living Story Season 2 questlines but after that grace period they sell that content piecemeal too.

I don’t have a problem with the game selling new zones/content.

In fact, if that’s what it’d take to get Arenanet to push for new content, I’d gladly pay for new content.

I never considered them under an obligation to deliver free content on a regular basis when I was not paying a sub.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

and manual aim

that’s an outright lie now. While it’s true that you can’t tab target, your shots will hone in on whatever was in the middle of your screen, which means that you’re still locked onto a player, rather than aiming yourself. And what I mean by “was” – if you shot and your target moved, your arrow, or magic spell, or whatever will make a turn mid air to still land on target. Some of those are quite sharp turns too.