ESO brought me back to GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

I had high hopes for ESO but their AvA is garbage.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s from the guys that made Skyrim.

And this was your first mistake. It’s published by Bethesda, but that’s about it.

Personally, while I’m not “coming to GW2 from ESO”, I actually really liked ESO’s questing, and skills and combat were so-so. The one unforgivable crime that I wouldn’t abide for is that even after four major patches (back when I tried it) and even now after six major patches, they still haven’t put in guilds that should have been in on day one, no exceptions (Thieves’ Guild and Dark Brotherhood). I mean, what the hell? You only have four ‘classes’ and everyone playing a shadowblade can just kitten off? Oh, just join the fighter’s guild, yeah, right. Who even cared about the fighter’s guilds in any Elder Scrolls game? Skyrim didn’t even really have one, considering the Companions were really just a werewolf questline in disguise.

I mean, okay, fine, they finally got around to introducing the Justice system so you can actually steal things. The guilds are obviously coming, but they completely and utterly failed hard by not including them release, and not having them on the re-release is even more ridiculous. I’ll try it again when they finally get around to having at least the bare minimum of content for everyone.

GW2 has absolutely none of that, what are you complaining about anyway.
the quests are dynamic (unlike dynamic events in GW2), the story is interesting (unlike GW2’s personal story) and the world is actually immersive (again, unlike GW2).
at least you have 2 guilds and you can join both of them, in GW2 you can only choose one and have no access to any of the other two. (this is NPC guilds, not player guilds )

if anything ESO actually has a true battle system, in GW2 all we have is “press button and auto pilot through enemies”.
it has the player skill part done right, GW2 is more like WoW where everything is based on gear and levels, skill has nothing to do with it.
i am quite skill-less with a warrior but i take down enemies blindfolded, try that in ESO and you’re dead regardless of your gear.

ESO: more skill based, just as GW1 is.
GW2: more gear based, just as WoW is.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

the quests are dynamic (unlike dynamic events in GW2), the story is interesting (unlike GW2’s personal story) and the world is actually immersive (again, unlike GW2).
at least you have 2 guilds and you can join both of them, in GW2 you can only choose one and have no access to any of the other two. (this is NPC guilds, not player guilds )

if anything ESO actually has a true battle system, in GW2 all we have is “press button and auto pilot through enemies”.
it has the player skill part done right, GW2 is more like WoW where everything is based on gear and levels, skill has nothing to do with it.
i am quite skill-less with a warrior but i take down enemies blindfolded, try that in ESO and you’re dead regardless of your gear.

just one question: what are you smoking?

GW2 is gear based, even though it’s a horizontal progression game? -_-
In what part of the game are you running into major gear differences pray tell me?

Also in ESO run a vamp/ werewolf combination, stand in Cyrodil and laugh at those silly 30 people trying to take you down.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

In what part of the game are you running into major gear differences pray tell me?

Also in ESO run a vamp/ werewolf combination, stand in Cyrodil and laugh at those silly 30 people trying to take you down.

Vampire and WW are mutually exclusive.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

sorudo.9054

….i really don’t care about PvP, try again…..
oh and since you’re asking, let’s get in a team of dungeon runners as a necro, i bet you will simply waste your time.
no major gear difference you say?
or what about the part where war’s and guar’s are pretty much the most powerful of all GW2 professions, in ESO you have full control over what you wear and how you fight, no one class is more powerful then others.

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

I know people who prefer ESO, I know people who prefer GW2, I know the majority of people are not big fans of either and play other MMOs, this thread is dumb.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So you can take down Giganticus Lupicus solo while blindfolded?

Mirta.5029

….i really don’t care about PvP, try again…..
oh and since you’re asking, let’s get in a team of dungeon runners as a necro, i bet you will simply waste your time.
no major gear difference you say?
or what about the part where war’s and guar’s are pretty much the most powerful of all GW2 professions, in ESO you have full control over what you wear and how you fight, no one class is more powerful then others.

my necro is the second to my main. I run fractals level 49 on it repeatedly.

I wrote majority of my fractal guide on my necro. If you want pictures as proof, just scroll trough this: http://the-unknowns.eu/index.php/Thread/24-Fractal-Guide/

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I just reinstalled ESO, and I find it a nice diversion from GW2 every once in awhile. I never expected it to be as good as gw2, but it has vastly improved since it was first released. I find it is always nice to have another mmorpg or two just to give myself a break every once in awhile.

So far, I find ESO fairly entertaining. It certainly won’t replace GW2 for me…..but I find it to be fun.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

I’ve been enjoying both GW2 and TESO for quite a while and will continue to do so. In fact, they’re both my fantasy-based MMO’s of choice.

They’re just different enough from one another that I don’t feel like I’m playing the exact same game. Still, among other things, they’re two of the most beautiful looking MMO’s I’d ever experienced.

Teon.5168

I’ve been enjoying both GW2 and TESO for quite a while and will continue to do so. In fact, they’re both my fantasy-based MMO’s of choice.

They’re just different enough from one another that I don’t feel like I’m playing the exact same game. Still, among other things, they’re two of the most beautiful looking MMO’s I’d ever experienced.

Agreed Although LotRo was visually stunning back when I played that, as well.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Torvic.8256

Also agreed. Though somewhat less so than both GW2 and TESO (not surprising considering the age disparity), LotRo is still a beautiful game.

Among the other aspects of TESO that I’ve been very impressed with is with many of its quests’ narratives with their interesting twists, turns and resolutions.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This has to be said.

I haven’t played GW2 for about a year, maybe a bit more. I reached end-game back then, played around and after a while gave up because I got bored and lag was pretty bad back then (this was also around the time the trading shop was down for a few days for Mac users only). Then ESO was announced and I was like: suck it ArenaNet, Bethesda is going to take all your players.

In any case, fast forward almost a year and despite seeing tons of new and exciting GW2 news I decide to buy ESO Online now that it’s finally B2P. This thing costs 60$, and there’s no refund – but I think: hey, how bad can it be – it’s from the guys that made Skyrim.

ESO is so darn uninspired it made me upset! I’ve logged 25 hours in the game, around 13 of those are install hours o_O

Battle is a drag, the in-game world is boring to explore and the skills are not adding to the battle at all yet. Lore is great though, I’ll give them that. But really, there’s no strategy and hitboxes are deplorably bad. After about three days of frustration and boredom I can no longer force myself to play it, and am downloading GW2 as I type this.

Maybe because I’m older or have just played more games, but I look back on my time with GW2 and I remember excitement, mystery and great, challenging combat. Glad to be back, let’s hope the magic hasn’t faded (…. and that they didn’t stop working on the Mac client!!!!)

Anyone else come here from ESO?

That’s funny because if certain changes aren’t coming GW2 will have driven me to not only ESO for console but also other console MMOs and they would have contributed to several factors that have driven me from the MMO market on pcs entirely.

I’m 42 played MMOs for 15 years on pc and I’ve found joy in the console MMO and RPG markets recently that simply don’t exist in the PC MMOs like GW2 anymore because everything save for two games has become one big pay to progress system. WoW and Rift seems to be the only development team with any kind of ethics when it comes to not following the mobile market economy.

I played the ESO beta and it was missing several required QoL improvements but I was impressed with it’s combat and storytelling which was fully voiced, I liked how they incorporated the exploration with the quests, and combat was actually quite fun from a FP point of view.

I’m waiting right now to see what they’ll tell us about the essential fixes coming to HoT but I can promise yeah that if they don’t come through with several broken systems as well as forgotten promises made 10 months ago to the community I won’t be staying because I don’t believe in giving money to those who haven’t the ethics to fulfill their promises made to the public in any company or game genre.

We’ll see.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Okay, doesn’t WoW have the option to buy a max level character? And what promises did ArenaNet make you?

tigirius.9014

Also agreed. Though somewhat less so than both GW2 and TESO (not surprising considering the age disparity), LotRo is still a beautiful game.

Among the other aspects of TESO that I’ve been very impressed with is with many of its quests’ narratives with their interesting twists, turns and resolutions.

Exactly. To me it’s funny when people bring these things up there are several holes in the design of GW2 and if that makes people happy that’s fine but those of us who’ve been around longer who’ve seen just how good a quality game can be (which btw doesn’t have the design flaws this game has because they’ve ignored years of MMO development history of just what works and works well) it’s like there’s a nostalgia glasses thing going on here where they can’t seem to see the flaws because they are trying to hold onto the first time they loaded the game (which btw didn’t have Ascended in it, didn’t have loot nerfs, didn’t have DR, didn’t have squashed Karma, didn’t have alot of the things we have now that made the game worse not better).

LOTRO is a wonderfully beautiful game but one out of the two things it has a problem with is not having evenly spaced leveling, it’s a terrible 2004 system of leveling no doubt perpetrated by the same thoughts the decisions in this title has suffered from in that give people busy work and they’ll stay which has never worked. I like LOTRO but I can’t play it because leveling has become a grind much like Ascended has become a grind here.

Oh and to the guy who said WoW has a purchase max level toons system, it doesn’t it has 10 levels below max, it has a training system to help you prepare for using your class and role properly and it has a system of rewards that you cannot find anywhere else in the game with that system. The NPE system in this game has no training, no example builds, no preloaded builds, no personal instance to help players better understand their class.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I found ESO very atmospheric.

Yes, some of the zones are a little samey, but it feels pretty real.

It’s a grown-up feeling game – nothing childish about it.

So, if you’re the sort of person that particularly dislikes childlike elements in games, it might be for you.

I like colour, but I didn’t really mind that it was slightly less colourful than some games, as I’m from the UK and the light here is kind of like that.

The character creation is also extremely good.

Only thing really missing, I think, was a head size slider?

So all the taller chars were running around with the same size heads as shorter ones and looking a little disproportionate…

Also, I think you could only make the entire thighs larger/smaller?

So, if you tried to make the outer thighs slimmer, you ended up with really thin legs with a very big thigh gap.

But, other than that it was really pretty impressive.

Unfortunately, though, you simply can’t play a proper hunter/ranger, with an animal pet.

There were beautiful tigers roaming around, but I obviously couldn’t tame them and that was irritating.

I don’t really know why you wouldn’t make a proper pet class/option in a game like that?

The other major problem was that the camera was free and there wasn’t a fixed camera option and this was compounded by the fact that a lot of the mobs had a mechanic of suddenly teleporting behind you.

I don’t know if they have changed it yet? But, really, that was a total game breaker, for me.

Also, I suffered from really bad lag/fps on the laptop I had at the time (not that it’s that much better here in WvW, ATM, on a new laptop).

I didn’t get as far as endgame, so I can’t really comment on that.

I would still recommend people try it, if they don’t mind the problems I’ve mentioned.

If I’m honest, I still think WoW remains the game to beat.

It’s so solid, in terms of classes and builds etc..

Yes, its graphics are aging, they have ruined LFR by removing all challenge, I have absolutely no idea what on earth they were thinking with some of the new character models(?) and the new xpac is all yang and no yin.

But, it still remains the one to beat.

Sorry, GW2 (and ESO).

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Okay, doesn’t WoW have the option to buy a max level character? And what promises did ArenaNet make you?

No, it doesn’t. Someone gave you some incorrect information.

Teon.5168

Exactly. To me it’s funny when people bring these things up there are several holes in the design of GW2 and if that makes people happy that’s fine but those of us who’ve been around longer who’ve seen just how good a quality game can be (which btw doesn’t have the design flaws this game has because they’ve ignored years of MMO development history of just what works and works well) it’s like there’s a nostalgia glasses thing going on here where they can’t seem to see the flaws because they are trying to hold onto the first time they loaded the game (which btw didn’t have Ascended in it, didn’t have loot nerfs, didn’t have DR, didn’t have squashed Karma, didn’t have alot of the things we have now that made the game worse not better).

LOTRO is a wonderfully beautiful game but one out of the two things it has a problem with is not having evenly spaced leveling, it’s a terrible 2004 system of leveling no doubt perpetrated by the same thoughts the decisions in this title has suffered from in that give people busy work and they’ll stay which has never worked. I like LOTRO but I can’t play it because leveling has become a grind much like Ascended has become a grind here.

Oh and to the guy who said WoW has a purchase max level toons system, it doesn’t it has 10 levels below max, it has a training system to help you prepare for using your class and role properly and it has a system of rewards that you cannot find anywhere else in the game with that system. The NPE system in this game has no training, no example builds, no preloaded builds, no personal instance to help players better understand their class.

Completely agree on LotRo……it was a gorgeous game, but had lots of problems outside of that. Indeed, the leveling system was horribly archaic. That was one game among a few that defined what they meant by “leveling is a grind”.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I am kind of bored now of GW2, I am thinking about getting TESO until HoT beta/New Info comes out.

Anybody liking the PvP in that game? and can I play with Controller?

Posted by: Maelwro.7562

Maelwro.7562

The irony right now is that my wife plays LoTRO (we both are lifer’s there). Lotro environments never cease to amaze me, and ironically, the game and leveling pre-moria I never fail to get nostalgic about, but post Moria I lost interest rapidly.

With regard to ESO, I am a fan of the game as well, and love the dialogue, quests, and atmosphere…but to say that classes/characters were equal there is a bit of a stretch. For the longest time, magic damage reigned supreme both in PvE and AvA (aka, Dragon Knight with Destruction Staff), and stamina builds suffered immensely.

Ultimately however, GW2 never fails to draw me back in. I am a casual player by nature, and the reward system, which offers very limited gains from exotic to ascended, is just enough of a carrot to keep me working for it, while not being so advantageous as to limit me in my gameplay. The pvp, wvw, and open world environments keep me well engaged.

Devildoc.6721

I gave up on LotRO because they kept kicking out level cap increases with expansions and it wasn’t just leveling and regearing, but you also had to level up a new “legendary” weapon each time too. Real pain in the butt to get attached to something and then have to throw it away, especially when it has its own leveling system you have to grind up. They also started putting in things like, relic removal scrolls to preserve your hard earned relics from your legendary weapons…. only available in the cash shop.

The worst insulting slap in the face though.. was that the expansions would launch without any new instances or raids, the whole expansion was just a new book quest storyline and 10 more levels. At level cap you were just supposed to grind skirmishes instead.

Get bent Turbine. Seriously.

The game was good up until just before they released Isengard and then I just lost interest. replacing end game legendary weapons once was forgivable, but now if I’d continued with that game I’d have had to replace them 4 more times now.

Aragorn did not replace Anduril once he got it. Frodo never replaced Sting, Gandalf carried Glamdring for over 60 years. The whole point of the system was to have a legendary weapon like Anduril, Sting, or Glamdring, and it would level with you, and be its own quest hub, yadda yadda. Great idea, horrible implementation.

I’m happy to see that GW2 values the effort to create a Legendary Weapon in this game.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They sell level 90 characters (where max level is level 100) to accounts with at least one level 90 char.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-service-character-boost

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

They sell level 90 characters (where max level is level 100) to accounts with at least one level 90 char.

That’s why I said it doesn’t. Level 100 is max, not 90.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You’re correct, but……..

It’s verrrrry close though. Just 10 levels. I don’t know how long it would take to get 10 levels in WoW but surely it doesn’t take that long. Essentially they are selling what was max level until about 6 months ago (when the Warlords of Draenor came out) and the player only needs to get 10 more.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

People like this and that, both ESO and GW2 are good games in different aspects. Gw2 has its niche public events.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I am now enjoying ESO immensly. The story and lore when leveling is brilliant and in my opinion much better than that of GW2 is and more akin to GW in quality. GW2 seems watered down in comparison and more just a series of conflicts with no real flesh. I cant really get into the GW2 supporting characters the same way either. They are very stereotypical.

On the other hand ESOs lore is very deep and the story is very involved putting the player at the front of it and not an npc. The characters are much better fleshed out with so much more going on that’s possibly duplicitous, morally gray and sinister.

Travelling is annoying right now because GW2 got me so used to just way pointing and ignoring half the environment if i wanted to so very easily. But I love having my mount which actually counts for something and not just cosmetic.

GW2 is a much easier game to get into and fun indeed but my characters feel very unimportant in it. Although Legendaries are supposed to be just that and very difficult to get and ascended gear quite involved it seems all too convoluted for me and too difficult to attain even after thousands of hours of play all because its all simply down too farming particular elements heavily and nothing to do with just playing through the game leveling a character and taking part in a little bit of everything. The end game seems to be all about really boring repetition, even WvW. I do feel as a more casual player but having still put in thousands of hours with 6 level 20s I am very unimportant in GW2.

I have quite a bit to go until the ESO end game but the new justice system is shaping up to be mighty fun indeed even when leveling and my character feels much more important.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What it will come down to is people playing ESO long enough to see the flaws, which are bound to still be there, albeit different flaws than launch.

People here who are saying ESO is refreshing, many of them anyway, are in the new game honeymoon phase, which passes eventually.

I’m sure it is a nice diversion though. I’ll wait for it to be cheap before I get it myself however.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

What it will come down to is people playing ESO long enough to see the flaws, which are bound to still be there, albeit different flaws than launch.

People here who are saying ESO is refreshing, many of them anyway, are in the new game honeymoon phase, which passes eventually.

I’m sure it is a nice diversion though. I’ll wait for it to be cheap before I get it myself however.

It is already cheap. I got the hard dvd copy of the explorers edition for £14.99

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Mirta.5029

It is already cheap. I got the hard dvd copy of the explorers edition for £14.99

looks at steam 49.99£ o.o

Torvic.8256

Don’t get me wrong, I still love GW2 too.

I suppose what’s helped me not get tired and/or burned out on any one MMO is that I tend to rotate between several of them once every few weeks depending what I’m in the mood for, playing only one or two of them at any one time.

In my case lately, the rotation has included GW2, TESO, DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Star Trek Online and The Secret World, with non-MMO’s Battlefield 4, FIFA 15 and Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag thrown into the mix as well (all of them on my PC except for FIFA 15 and AC:BF, both of which I play on my PS4).

I suppose the only downside to rotating once every few weeks like that is that I don’t advance as quickly in any one game as I would’ve if I’d concentrated only on one or two games for several months or even years.

As for TESO, my only real quibble with it is that (as had been stated earlier in this thread) there’s currently no actual Ranger class available.

(edited by Torvic.8256)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

looks at steam 49.99£ o.o

This is why it’s often a bad idea to buy from Steam. Doubly so with ESO because you then have to buy crowns (their version of gems) through Steam too and for many people, particularly those outside the USA it ends up costing more.

If you’re looking to get ESO check out 3rd party retailers. And try to find an older copy, one simply called Elder Scrolls Online rather than Tamriel Unlimited. Functionally they’re both exactly the same game, but many retailers don’t seem to realise that and are selling the older version at discounted prices while the new one is priced as if it’s a brand new release.

(I got my copy for £12 from Amazon. Unused copy in a sealed box, and it came with the pre-order bonuses too.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

It was the opposite for me, I went to ESO because of GW2. It had its fair share of issues, but the WvW was much more intriguing and to me flat out better and that is what I came to GW2 for, for the most part.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

GW2 did not drive me to ESO or visa versa. I have started playing ESO recently only because I enjoyed the ES universe and I played the demo, which I enjoyed. I am level 8 so far, and I am finding it fun. Whether it remains fun at max level I do not know, but the game is large enough to keep me occupied for a long while, especially as I will not be commiting as much time to it as I do with GW2.

I have no intention of leaving GW2 for ESO, as I feel GW2 is a far FAR superior and more entertaining game. But ESO is enjoyable and is a fun enough distraction for when I fancy playing something different for a while. It will never replace GW2, but I will continue to play ESO from time to time.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Devildoc.6721

GW2 did not drive me to ESO or visa versa. I have started playing ESO recently only because I enjoyed the ES universe and I played the demo, which I enjoyed. I am level 8 so far, and I am finding it fun. Whether it remains fun at max level I do not know, but the game is large enough to keep me occupied for a long while, especially as I will not be commiting as much time to it as I do with GW2.

I have no intention of leaving GW2 for ESO, as I feel GW2 is a far FAR superior and more entertaining game. But ESO is enjoyable and is a fun enough distraction for when I fancy playing something different for a while. It will never replace GW2, but I will continue to play ESO from time to time.

Only problem with the “max level” of TESO is that it’s currently a rather long process. Like, you can play through your alliances’ zones fairly casually and enjoy them, and then you get to the end of the main storyline, hit level “50” (actually VR1) which is the “level cap” (and it eventually will actually be the level cap), but you’re not max level yet, people won’t take you in raids, you’ll be underpowered in veteran dungeons, and in PVP, because many people will be the equivalent of 13 levels higher than you.

You have to go through the process of questing through the 2 other alliances zones as well, to reach VR10.. and then you’re still not done, cap is VR14.. you can do all the quests in Cyrodiil and get somewhere in VR11… and you’re still not done. You can get with a group and do all the quests in craglorn short of the 3 trials.. MAYBE hitting VR12.

Still 2 ranks short.

All you can do at that point is soul sucking grind.

That’s the worst part about the current game.

However ZoS is doing something rater rare, if not unprecedented, and they’ve been moving in this direction since launch actually because people have not liked the Veteran Rank system. They’re removing it, effectively lowering the cap down to 50 (with the Champion system then fully replacing it as a horizontal progression system). I’ve never seen an MMO actually lower its level cap after launch. This means that once you complete the initial set of zones and finish the main story, You’ll have the OPTION of going into the other 2 alliance’s zones (for more xp in the champion system), or you can jump into PVP and be on the same level as other people in the map, or into craglorn.

You’ll still gain benefit from champion points yes and need to gain more, but, you’ll be able to wear the high level gear and be considered the same level as the bosses for damage calculation rather than having a random miss chance added to all your attacks and be crit on every attack you take.

This makes the Cadwells silver/gold lines go from instead of being required (unless you just aoe grind mobs from VR1 to VR14), to being optional Solo Player end game. (along with new soloable DLC zones they’re planning on releasing)

So there will be end game for solo PVE, group PVE, raid PVE, and PVP, which I’m looking forward to.

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

That’s the beauty of having a modern hdd/ssd. Gone are the days of filling up your clunky seagate with a single game.

I never have less than 6 different games installed so I can bounce back and forth when one of them gets a little stale. Rinse and repeat.

I guess I just never understood the “I have to have a favorite game and play it exclusively forever” logic.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Mirta.5029

That’s the beauty of having a modern hdd/ssd. Gone are the days of filling up your clunky seagate with a single game.

I never have less than 6 different games installed so I can bounce back and forth when one of them gets a little stale. Rinse and repeat.

I guess I just never understood the “I have to have a favorite game and play it exclusively forever” logic.

I don’t think that anyone here is stationary at one game only. It’s just that OP isn’t bouncing between GW2 and ESO, but probably between GW2 and something else.

tigirius.9014

You’re correct, but……..

It’s verrrrry close though. Just 10 levels. I don’t know how long it would take to get 10 levels in WoW but surely it doesn’t take that long. Essentially they are selling what was max level until about 6 months ago (when the Warlords of Draenor came out) and the player only needs to get 10 more.

Like I said above, “it doesn’t it has 10 levels below max, it has a training system to help you prepare for using your class and role properly and it has a system of rewards that you cannot find anywhere else in the game with that system. The NPE system in this game has no training, no example builds, no preloaded builds, no personal instance to help players better understand their class.”

Far superior to the newer games like these that don’t have the training system so that players can learn their class.

It’s a necessary system in games in which they don’t have a proper leveling system. This game has a good one it’s one of the very things I like about GW2, not just the even leveling process but also the books but leveling isn’t everything. If you reach max level but you don’t know how to play your class properly you really aren’t helping anyone least of all yourself.

To me this would have been where I took the NPE in the direction of helping players learn their classes rather than doing what Anet did with the NPE with trait restriction because that’s not helping anyone and that’s one of the reasons why I and others are saying we’re going to give them a wide birth until they get things in order in the future because they aren’t doing the things right now that make it a modern mmo with the expected quality of life improvements it should have by now.

Mirta.5029

You’re correct, but……..

Like I said above, “it doesn’t it has 10 levels below max, it has a training system to help you prepare for using your class and role properly and it has a system of rewards that you cannot find anywhere else in the game with that system. The NPE system in this game has no training, no example builds, no preloaded builds, no personal instance to help players better understand their class.”

Far superior to the newer games like these that don’t have the training system so that players can learn their class.

It’s a necessary system in games in which they don’t have a proper leveling system. This game has a good one it’s one of the very things I like about GW2, not just the even leveling process but also the books but leveling isn’t everything. If you reach max level but you don’t know how to play your class properly you really aren’t helping anyone least of all yourself.

To me this would have been where I took the NPE in the direction of helping players learn their classes rather than doing what Anet did with the NPE with trait restriction because that’s not helping anyone and that’s one of the reasons why I and others are saying we’re going to give them a wide birth until they get things in order in the future because they aren’t doing the things right now that make it a modern mmo with the expected quality of life improvements it should have by now.

to be fair “instant 90” service released 6 months before the expansion and it does not require you to already have a 90. Expect an “instant 100” 6 months before the next expansion.

tigirius.9014

You’re correct, but……..

to be fair “instant 90” service released 6 months before the expansion and it does not require you to already have a 90. Expect an “instant 100” 6 months before the next expansion.

Pure speculation. The reason why they kept it at 90 was because they didn’t want to cheapen the leveling experience of the expansion they put out, they also wanted people to spend time using their training system to learn to play their class which is why they kept it as a requirement before people could jump into heroics, there’s also been 0 announcements concerning what they’re going to do next in an expansion because they’ve always used leveling as a system to delay the end game at max level which means more changes are coming to improve the game not make it harder. So they most likely won’t be adding more levels, they might be adding a post max level advancement system and from what I’ve seen in their other titles they know what they are doing. DIII has a good one.

Anyway as an all condition player in this game, combat is a drag because the basics of combat that I’ve found in other games simply haven’t happened here in this one for this type of damage type, such as crits on dots, a requirement that only those who specialize in this damage type gets it (instead of everyone and their brother having bleeds), and resistences playing a part in that people have to choose whether to have resistances as a serious defense so they can’t all be cleansed continuously without much thought and continue a DPS role at the same time, choices don’t matter in this title right now. If these things don’t change many of us will remember the game as “oh yeah remember that title you used to play, what was it again?” and ESO just might be on my list of games to try.

sorudo.9054

it’s the same with GW2 vayne, after playing GW2 for almost 3 years now i see way to many flaws to ignore them, the difference is if the flaws are game breaking or not.

in GW2 the best part is the unexpected events happening, play for a long time and you eventually don’t care anymore putting quite a huge damper on the fun.
the best thing about ESO is the deep story line, the problem is that ones you got through it all you just skip everything to get to a higher level.

in GW2’s case it removes a whole part of the game, something you don’t care about anymore is simply something you don’t like.
in ESO’s case it’s something you can ignore or skip dialogs at any time, this doesn’t really remove the fun, it makes things go faster.

i’m not saying ESO is “better” then GW2, i am not even saying that ESO is superior to GW2.
what i’m saying is that what Anet made as it’s strong point eventually became it’s weak point, what zenimax made as it’s strong point eventually became a side thing to do.
why do you think there are players saying that all they do is fractures or dungeons, i really see that as a waste of time developing such a huge world and only a small part of the crowd actually plays in them.

the bottom line is simple, even while GW2 has plenty of good stuff to have fun with, it doesn’t make it the crown jewel ppl make it out to be.
i know there are plenty of MMO’s that are allot worse then any of the popular games, doesn’t mean GW2 is the best of them all.
it’s unique in it’s own way, ESO is also unique on it’s own way, doesn’t make them better then the rest.

Mirta.5029

Pure speculation. The reason why they kept it at 90 was because they didn’t want to cheapen the leveling experience of the expansion they put out, they also wanted people to spend time using their training system to learn to play their class which is why they kept it as a requirement before people could jump into heroics

let’s stop your quote right here. Why did they release it a full half a year before the expansion then, enraging the community, because a bunch of people that knew absolutely nothing about their class jumped into end game content?

So they most likely won’t be adding more levels, they might be adding a post max level advancement system and from what I’ve seen in their other titles they know what they are doing. DIII has a good one.

Wow has been doing the level increases for 11 years now. Why do you think that they will now suddenly stop when this is exactly what their community likes and expects?

Anyway as an all condition player in this game, combat is a drag because the basics of combat that I’ve found in other games simply haven’t happened here in this one for this type of damage type, such as crits on dots, a requirement that only those who specialize in this damage type gets it (instead of everyone and their brother having bleeds)

well isn’t it great then that in beta we’ve seen bleed stacks going over 100? Also if you would only get your dot damage if you specialize specifically for condition damage, where does it put hybrids, or even better, celestial all rounders?

and resistences playing a part in that people have to choose whether to have resistances as a serious defense so they can’t all be cleansed continuously without much thought and continue a DPS role at the same time, choices don’t matter in this title right now. If these things don’t change many of us will remember the game as “oh yeah remember that title you used to play, what was it again?” and ESO just might be on my list of games to try.

Well having in mind that it has been going as one of the most popular MMOs for 3 years, I predict a very long life time for GW2. And even if suddenly a disaster strikes, it would most certainly not be forgotten.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

My problem with ESO is it sways too much to the MMO side..

The combat (while you can block and swing your sword etc) Is all about the skill bar, that is about as anti TES as it gets..

The whole game is level gated..

Entire zones are blocked off by quests..

NPC’s are static lifeless objects..

Enemies are static lifeless objects..

the zone layout is bad, you should have access to all of your alliance zones from the first starter zone..

Overall they gave a middle finger to the majority of normal TES players to appease the much smaller group of MMO loving TES players and the game suffered..

People wanted an elder scrolls game where you could adventure with a friend or 2, they went too far.

(edited by Ricky Da Man.5064)

Devildoc.6721

My problem with ESO is it sways too much to the MMO side..

The combat (while you can block and swing your sword etc) Is all about the skill bar, that is about as anti TES as it gets..

They changed the way ultimate is generated so that now you have to weave in normal attacks to generate ultimate so you can use your elite skills.

The whole game is level gated..

This much is true and I do think TESO would have been a prime candidate for a levelless system (just having skill line levels and skill levels instead, they DO have skill levels and skill line levels but they also have character level on top)

Entire zones are blocked off by quests.

You can tell you haven’t played since beta. Due to feedback in beta they removed the quest gating for going to different zones within the faction’s areas. When you get out of the tutorial in coldharbor now you spawn in the 2nd or 3rd zone’s capital city, with the option of going back and doing the starter islands (generally a good idea to gain xp, but not necessary if you don’t want), and you can also travel to any of that factions’ zones freely. You can’t go to the other faction’s zones until you finish the main story (and then you do one faction’s zones, followed by the next), and Cyrodiil has a level 10 requirement, and Craglorn has a VR1 requirement, and Coldharbor is quest gated (and the Fighters Guild and Mage’s Guild final places (earth forge and eyevea respectively) are quest gated). But commonly if I make a new Aldmeri Dominion character, I will run/ride from Vulkhel Guard to Rawl’Kha in Reaper’s March (level 40ish area) with ease, and I’ll run around and snag overworld skyshards to give myself a boost in skill points, just because I can.

NPC’s are static lifeless objects..

NPC’s move around at least within the building they’re in. Not as much of a routine as single player TES game NPC’s, but more than most MMO NPC’s that actually do stand rooted in place. Heck the NPC’s moving around and looking in different directions is very important for being able to steal and pick lockboxes.

Enemies are static lifeless objects..

This is true of essentially every MMO’s NPC’s, with the exception of event enemies. Guild Wars 2 is no less guilty of having mobs just standing there waiting for you to kill them for xp with no real purpose, just mobs standing there in the middle of nowhere spaced about 10 feet apart to make sure you can’t get immersed in the game because it’s too obviously a game rather than a real wilderness area (how often do you go out in the woods and see wolves and bears every 10 feet?)

the zone layout is bad, you should have access to all of your alliance zones from the first starter zone..

As I explained before, you do. This was true even at launch. It was only gated off in beta. They listened to beta feedback on that.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

To be fair NPCs moving around and having their own routine has only happened in Oblivion and Skyrim (strictly talking about TES games here). In Morrowind they all stayed in one spot, or wandered aimlessly within a small area. Shops were open 24/7, other NPCs were always at home and always awake etc.

I think partially because trying to program the AI to do things like that could cause all kinds of odd behaviours. Nothing compared to some games (if anyone has ever played Creatures you’ll know what I mean), but in a game with structured quests and other fixed purposes for NPCs it can be a problem. It definitely wouldn’t work in an MMO.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”