Earning Traits VS Buying Them

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I’m incredibly excited for the new trait system as it seemingly brings back the essence of skill hunting from the original GW. However I’ve been digging through information for a while now, and cannot find clarification as to whether or not all traits can be purchased with gold.

Does anybody know if all traits will be simply purchasable? Or will there be some rare traits that can only be earned?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

From my understanding, all traits can be unlocked either way. We won’t know for sure till the livestream I imagine.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

None knows yet, it is FAR easier to predict the community’s reactions though.

1. Cheap: omg, Anet is a trash company, there is no point of exploring cause you can still buy them, what a grindy grindy grindy game this is, gold again
2. Expensive: omg, Anet have always wanted to make the game P2W, OMG OMG OMG, THE GAME IS DEAD
3. They decide to delete the gold option: OMG ANET IS FORCING ME TO PLAY CONTENT. WHY DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING I DON’T LIKE, I HATE EXPLORATION

One of those complains is gonna be seen soon enough, who will complain is purely based on their preferences, and whoever doesn’t like the updates will come and comment negativly, since forums are negative only nowadays. Talking about haters, they will comment with one of those three regardless cause their main point is hating, not how the game is anyhow.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Latorn.4209

1. Cheap: omg, Anet is a trash company, there is no point of exploring cause you can still buy them, what a grindy grindy grindy game this is, gold again
2. Expensive: omg, Anet have always wanted to make the game P2W, OMG OMG OMG, THE GAME IS DEAD
3. They decide to delete the gold option: OMG ANET IS FORCING ME TO PLAY CONTENT. WHY DO I NEED TO DO SOMETHING I DON’T LIKE, I HATE EXPLORATION

Hahahaha, this is probably true on so many levels. I guess I just wish the new traits were only obtainable by playing, but that might just be me XD

If they are all purchasable those of us who liked the horizontal progression of the original GW will still be waiting.. (Hey, maybe one day they’ll introduce something along the lines of legendary traits that can only be earned XD).

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

One of those complains is gonna be seen soon enough, who will complain is purely based on their preferences, and whoever doesn’t like the updates will come and comment negativly, since forums are negative only nowadays. Talking about haters, they will comment with one of those three regardless cause their main point is hating, not how the game is anyhow.

let’s not forget the players on empty servers complaining about how traits are locked behind hard and difficult content only built for TTS or BG like…Orrian Wizard!

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

All traits will be unlockable by purchasing them; you can pretty much call it confirmed because in the PvP forums people were complaining how they had to do PvE in order to unlock traits.

A dev came in and stated all traits are purchasable and in addition to that the vendor will also be in the Heart of the Mists.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Traits-only-unlocked-by-PvE

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Though it will most likely be Gold, they haven’t really stated yet what the currency will be that is used to purchase Traits. It might be a surprise to some.

Latorn.4209

let’s not forget the players on empty servers complaining about how traits are locked behind hard and difficult content only built for TTS or BG like…Orrian Wizard!

Here’s hoping that “facilitating friendly play” is the return of more epic dungeon content like GW’s Underworld, Urgoz’s Warren, Etc. And just MAYBE (ok, now this is a stretch >.>) traits can be earned via that content. XD

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

This is 100% guaranteed.

Personal I’m worried about the idea, not sure why just have a feeling something is gonna go really wrong.

Also, if level 80s will keep them I don’t see much of q change since new toons being rolled is not that common.
I remember recently I rolled a Sylvari then a Charr (to do PS racial achievements) and there was no one there.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

nGumball got the point there.

In my opinion this should’ve been this way since launch.

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Hope there’s an incentive for doing them on my 80 toons… Really, really like the new system though

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

I’m delaying my last 80 character only to experience this, even after having played each zone with a lot of different toons and already having leveled the class in question to 80 (I deleted it for reasons that are not relevant here)
If I were new to the game, no way I would be paying anything (even if negligible) to skip it, so there’s no problem at all with a low pricing for those who want they charcater prepared ASAP.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wouldn’t the incentive to do them on Level 80 characters be to experience the content (possibly again) and get the satisfaction of earning the Traits, rather than just buying them?

Isn’t that kind of the point of this method of obtaining Traits? To have people go out and do content? I know I will, at least, attempt to get my new Traits that way. =)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

The sad part is you are not even wrong. This is most likely exactly what will happen.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I liked skill hunting in GW1 so this sounds like a nice addition to me. I don’t care if you can also buy them cheaply.

I don’t know why you have to buy them in sPvP though. I thought sPvP was suppose to be equal footing? When you’re in the sPvP area you should have all traits and skills unlocked from the start.