Ecto: Salvage for or Buy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

If you need to get 400+ Globs of Ectoplasm, is it better to flat out buy them or buy cheap rares and salvage for them using a Mystic Salvage kit?

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

better to farm them.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Depends on if you have the cash or not to buy them outright. If you are cheap, join up the world boss train and farm them out. If you have the 100s of gold to spend…by all means buy them.

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Skip the farming for now; let’s say we have a fair amount of gold, but at the same time, not have the idea of just throwing money at the Black Lion Trader because you have it.

Which is more gold-saving efficient: Buy Ectos or buy the rares to salvage them?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

or craft the rares and salvage. Thats what i did, but I had an excess of mats to do that with. I didn’t compare that with selling the mats though to see which was more efficient.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Skip the farming for now; let’s say we have a fair amount of gold, but at the same time, not have the idea of just throwing money at the Black Lion Trader because you have it.

Which is more gold-saving efficient: Buy Ectos or buy the rares to salvage them?

better off to buy the ectos, not the rares… ime.. I get approx 1 ecto every 2-3 rares.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

If the price of the rare gear is less than 90% of the price of the ecto, its cheaper to salvage than to buy.

So right now, it would definately be cheaper to salvage certain rares rather than buying ectos. Crafting rares yourself to salvage isnt viable atm, because the mat costs are over kitten .

I buy and salvage 500-1000 rares per week.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Depends on how lucky you are. The way RNG works if you favor yourself lucky salvaging can certainly come out cheaper since most rares at this point are prices right around their value if ecto likelihood. If you don’t feel overly lucky buy them straight up its the easier way to get exactly the number you need also.

Lonewolf Kai.3682

If the price of the rare gear is less than 90% of the price of the ecto, its cheaper to salvage than to buy.

So right now, it would definately be cheaper to salvage certain rares rather than buying ectos. Crafting rares yourself to salvage isnt viable atm, because the mat costs are over kitten .

I buy and salvage 500-1000 rares per week.

Thank you everyone for replying, and especially thank you Wanze. I was hoping you still posted here. Your reply was exactly what I was looking for.

ps. miss the old BLT sub-forum.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

You can also get globs from the rares sold by Dungeon token vendors (only the ones of the right level and up). It’s a use for all those dungeon tokens you may or may not have accrued.