Ecto price is being pumped

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SquidONE.2908

SquidONE.2908

Trade carefully.

edit 1: before commenting on this thread, please take the time and think how could a 250k ectos buy order seems like a natural market behavior when the natural demand is/was actually less than 250k ectos.

edit 2: It’s either you acknowledge that 250k buy order, or you make me crazy

Attachments:

(edited by SquidONE.2908)

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Just lot of demand atm

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

hm?
this looks the same as a few weeks ago

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Demand, its been on the increase for a few weeks now, either people are stock piling for the update incase there are major changes, espically around scribing etc, ascended armor, and even getting ready for the last Legendary,

It usually evens itself out fairly quickly.

Just FYI,

The supply on the market as of this post is

The Demand is

Its always this way heading into a big update.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/19721-Glob-of-Ectoplasm

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

SquidONE.2908

hm?
this looks the same as a few weeks ago

Don’t know how it was a few weeks ago, but I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a 250K buy order(s) on ectos. The price has risen steadily in the last two months (enough time to stockpile). My guess, a dump will follow at around 50s mark.

SquidONE.2908

@ Ok I Did It
a buy order(s) of 250k ectos was placed this morning. If this is not a buy wall…

Posted by: Hypairion.9210

Hypairion.9210

@ Ok I Did It
a buy order(s) of 250k ectos was placed this morning. If this is not a buy wall…

Hmm so you think that someone is willing to spend 100k gold in order to manipulate the ecto price ?

SquidONE.2908

Hmm so you think that someone is willing to spend 100k gold in order to manipulate the ecto price ?

100k gold is spent only if the order gets fulfilled (besides, 40s is a decent price to pay for ectos).
But those who need ectos will have to bid over or insta buy. And weekend is coming… let’s see how much the price will spike if that order stays there.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

There’s no way that anyone can control the price of any relatively common item in the game like ectos. Way too many of them enter the system. And way too many hoarders who would jump onto a price surge to make a quick buck and would drive the price back down to the equilibrium price.

Demand is likely just higher right now.

And players who need ectors have two other options: wait until the prices go down or go out and farm rares and exotics to convert into ectos. Only those who must have whatever it is they are making right now will feel forced to buy at a price that is higher than what they would want to pay ideally.

SquidONE.2908

Ok.
So, I admit, I might be wrong.
But please, think twice before insta buy into whales sell orders.
I’ll stop commenting on this thread as it seems I’m the only one who sees a conspiracy here.

edit for bold.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The chance that high volume transaction items can be manipulated in GW2 is very unlikely (if not near impossible without running a serious loss).

To believe that the item in question is ectos is straight up hilarious. Even should someone try to manipulate the market, they would soon be either broke or cutting their losses. The volume of trade per day is just way to high. Any market alteration would correct itsself within minutes, maximum hours if someone decided to waste hundred thousands of gold.

Now a short term demand spike due to whatever reasons, sure that can happen.

SquidONE.2908

well.. what about the timing…? new patch coming?!
That 250K buy order, in my opinion has become the new support for ectos price.

edit: as pointed out by Ok I Did It, When natural demand equals 250k ectos in buy orders and a new buy order(s) is placed equal to the natural demand, it surely seems like a natural market behavior. /s /edit

Make what you want of this thread.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

We are due to get a new patch on April 19th, which may be the one to include the adjustments to scribing costs among other things.

Not to mention who knows if they’ll release anything new since that is the day that SAB goes away.

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

It’s no surprise it’s going up. The legendary weapon announcement made the old legendaries more appealing, as well as the existing HoT legendaries. People saving up for new legendaries are at least considering making old ones they liked. Plus the last remaining legendary is coming out. I think it’s a pretty natural rise tbh.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Demand, its been on the increase for a few weeks now, either people are stock piling for the update incase there are major changes, espically around scribing etc, ascended armor, and even getting ready for the last Legendary,

It usually evens itself out fairly quickly.

Just FYI,

The supply on the market as of this post is

The Demand is

Its always this way heading into a big update.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/19721-Glob-of-Ectoplasm

Demand is a pointless number unless you also examine the distribution of those bids. Someone or group of someones placed a bid of 250K at 40s57c, thus roughly doubling the number of bids and establishing an apparent lower limit to that could support ecto prices for the time being. Also the current high bid was 3s above that so this influx of bids had no impact to the trading range when it was placed. It’s a heck of a lot more expensive than a million bids at 2c, we are talking over 100K gold in bids, but it’s the same effect in terms of ginning up “demand”.

However since it’s a bid, that support can be lifted at a moment’s notice with no financial penalties to those behind this stunt.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

Prices are connected to each other. If ecto becomes more expensive, then t6 dust and all 68+ rare weapon/armor will follow it. And also precursors as you can see.

I think part of the problem is SAB. More SAB, less farm, less ectos going to the market. The other part is speculation because of the update. New legendary → items have higher demand, just look at Mystic Coins, someone (or a group) bought almost all of them yesterday.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

It was me, in addicted to gambling ectos

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

Similar stuff has been around here before, even John Smith himself commented on it back then. He said this is not a big deal at all, most people don’t even realize how quickly the ecto market goes through different orders. Tens of thousands of ectos can appear or be gone in a matter of hours. There’s absolutely no way how anyone can manipulate price of items that common, the market will find equilibrium very shortly.
So before you start to come up with conspiracy theories and point out crazy sinister activities behind the curtains of TP, just think about how little one person is within the whole picture. No one is trying to manipulate the TP, this stuff comes completely naturally. Even if someone tried to, there’s no way to maintain it for longer than a few hours. It was said long time ago, ecto market moves very quickly and thousands of items are basically nothing.

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

Eh, Ectos are one of the most high-volume items on the TP, as far as I know. Supply was basically at its lowest ever an hour ago at around 10k. So that artificial price wall – if that is what it was, which I doubt – is kinda pointless.

Now, if someone could explain to me why there are always more than 150k in buy orders for Lumps of Raw Ambrite at 87c when the next lowest buy order is at 68c, and why that large volume of buy orders occasionally disappears (with the expected price drop on the buy and sell sides) and is quickly re-instated only hours later at the same volume I would be most grateful. Not that I as an occasional seller of Raw Ambrite am complaining, but the behaviour is rather curious…

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

A buy order for 250k is nothing though, that’s a stack of ecto for 1000 players each, which is a drop in the ocean to the number of ecto being moved about, ecto is used in a lot of crafting, compare that with the pending update, it could be 10,000 players ordering 25 ecto each,

The market will stabilize in a few weeks.