Ecto's at an all time low.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Did anyone notice changes in the ecto salvage rate?
Just salvaged 52 rares and got 35 ectos. Thats 0.67 per salvage

Might be bad luck at that sample size. Will try again tomorrow

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have yet to see any argument as to why Ectos need to be more expensive. As much as I disagree with AB multiloot, that isn’t the focus of this thread, and even if it has affected the price of ectos, not one person has responded as to how and why that is a bad thing.

• AB multiloot is the primary cause of the low price of ecto, so it’s very relevant to the thread.
  • In fact, people have explained why it could be a bad thing: people who get ectos from every other type of content are getting less value for their goods than they were before, for the same effort. Is that “bad enough” for ANet to change things? well, so far, no.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

It’s tied to the same reason rare runes are virtually at vendor price,

The bulk of rare runes is priced at 4 times the vendor value of 30c or higher.

Vender price is higher than 30c for rare runes. I usually see something like 1s 8c for rare runes at vendor. I rarely see anyone paying much more than that in TP for rare runes.

Posted by: Excelvior.8520

Excelvior.8520

exactly the same!!!
done 3 multiloots, got same results (~0.68-0.7) with silver fed salvage tool. Stealth nerf?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I have yet to see any argument as to why Ectos need to be more expensive. As much as I disagree with AB multiloot, that isn’t the focus of this thread, and even if it has affected the price of ectos, not one person has responded as to how and why that is a bad thing.

• AB multiloot is the primary cause of the low price of ecto, so it’s very relevant to the thread.
  • In fact, people have explained why it could be a bad thing: people who get ectos from every other type of content are getting less value for their goods than they were before, for the same effort. Is that “bad enough” for ANet to change things? well, so far, no.

I still don’t see why ectos are supposed to be a high value item. Just saying that people’s loot is worth less now is not an argument as to why ectos need to be expensive. It does say that AB multiloot has rewards that are worth far more than the required effort to obtain them (even looting one map on AB yields rewards that are worth too much for what little effort is required for a successful meta really), and that the loot system could be better. But it is not an argument as to why ectos need to be expensive.

So far no one has provided such an argument. All I’ve seen is people who want ectos to be worth more so that their loot is worth more, but none of them ever explain why ectos need to be worth more than they currently are.

Posted by: Vadeil.3924

Vadeil.3924

OriOri I dont think they will back to the 50s price any time soon. I do not think they need to be expensive. But what I will say they are heavily tied with “end game” things like legendary’s. And if it is really one output changing the market its probibly going to be dealt with eventually. I just hope its not dealt with more ecto sinks other then the rest of the new legendary set.

Anyways I am enjoying the discussion.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Probability of getting 35 or less ectos from 52 rares: 5.34%

Sounds like bad luck.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

I still don’t see why ectos are supposed to be a high value item. Just saying that people’s loot is worth less now is not an argument as to why ectos need to be expensive. It does say that AB multiloot has rewards that are worth far more than the required effort to obtain them (even looting one map on AB yields rewards that are worth too much for what little effort is required for a successful meta really), and that the loot system could be better. But it is not an argument as to why ectos need to be expensive.

So far no one has provided such an argument. All I’ve seen is people who want ectos to be worth more so that their loot is worth more, but none of them ever explain why ectos need to be worth more than they currently are.

They are suppose to be a high value item because they are only obtained by rng (salvaging). The more attempts you take the more likely you are going to get the desired outcome and overcome rng. This isn’t limited to just 1 person but applys to everyperson on that map as well as the mutliple maps that they travel to after looting their current map.

Likewise why do you feel that ectos should be a low value item even though they are tied into multiple high value items?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Malediktus.3740

They are an exotic crafting material, so they should be valuable

OriOri.8724

@echo I don’t really care about the price of ectos, they could be low or high for all I care. But I just don’t understand why some of the people in this thread are so insistent as to why they need to be a high value item. That just doesn’t make sense to me, I see it as people just picking an item and deciding it should be expensive because they like the portrait icon it has.

@Vadeil made a good point, but I still don’t understand the people in this thread who are convinced they need to be expensive just cause “its ecto lul duh”

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

@echo I don’t really care about the price of ectos, they could be low or high for all I care. But I just don’t understand why some of the people in this thread are so insistent as to why they need to be a high value item. That just doesn’t make sense to me, I see it as people just picking an item and deciding it should be expensive because they like the portrait icon it has.

@Vadeil made a good point, but I still don’t understand the people in this thread who are convinced they need to be expensive just cause “its ecto lul duh”

You probably didn’t play GW1 did you?

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Before the AB multi-map was widely known, ecto prices had crept up above 50 silver each and still rising. None of those sinks have been removed from the game. If the supply spigot of AB were turned off, prices would eventually get back up to that level.

Or at least would, but with ecto prices so low I just save stacks in my bank…

Posted by: Peura.3796

Peura.3796

But this is NOT GW1. Different game, different economy, different items to craft.

CMM.6712

But this is NOT GW1. Different game, different economy, different items to craft.

Really?

Obviously, it is indeed GW2. The point I was trying to make was that ecto was a valuable drop in GW1 and it seems some people wouldn’t want ecto to be looked at like it was just another mat or junk drop. Seems like it should have a reasonable value.

(edited by CMM.6712)

OriOri.8724

Really?

Obviously, it is indeed GW2. The point I was trying to make was that ecto was a valuable drop in GW1 and it seems some people wouldn’t want ecto to be looked at like it was just another mat or junk drop. Seems like it should have a reasonable value.

Why ecto though? Why shouldn’t it be some other crafting material instead? I still think its completely random, and the fact that it was expensive in GW1 is irrelevant (I know you seem to get that, but others don’t…).

Like I said previously, I don’t really care what the price is. I just don’t understand why there are so many people who insist that it needs to be expensive just “cuz ecto”

CMM.6712

Really?

Why ecto though? Why shouldn’t it be some other crafting material instead? I still think its completely random, and the fact that it was expensive in GW1 is irrelevant (I know you seem to get that, but others don’t…).

Like I said previously, I don’t really care what the price is. I just don’t understand why there are so many people who insist that it needs to be expensive just “cuz ecto”

Part of the games history, IDK? Ecto was used as the main currency once prices got past 100k gold. It doesn’t seem right for it to be just another mat. My 2c

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Really?

Please quote someone who said it needed to be expensive. The most I’ve seen people state is that it used to be 50s but now it’s lower.

The fact that you only get it when salvaging rares or higher and it’s a mat used for higher level crafting, it’s not meant to be a cheap mat. Not being a cheap mat is also supported by the fact that you get a T6 mat from salvaging ecto: crystalline dust. Whose price is much lower than other T6 mats now due to the drop in ecto price.

Edit: And no, someone saying that it shouldn’t be cheap isn’t the same as saying it should be expensive.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Keep in mind that when the price of ecto was getting lower and lower they added salvaging for dust to increase their value. Ectos need to be more expensive because Anet wants them to be more expensive, the question is what’s the best way to stop their price drop.

From the June 2013 patch notes:
“Globs of ectoplasm can now be salvaged into Piles of Crystalline Dust. This change should help Globs of Ectoplasm maintain a strong value in the economy and lower the cost of Crystalline Dust.”

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Keep in mind that when the price of ecto was getting lower and lower they added salvaging for dust to increase their value. Ectos need to be more expensive because Anet wants them to be more expensive, the question is what’s the best way to stop their price drop.

“Globs of ectoplasm can now be salvaged into Piles of Crystalline Dust. This change should help Globs of Ectoplasm maintain a strong value in the economy and lower the cost of Crystalline Dust.”

I remember crystalline dust being similar, or more expensive than ecto back then though.
That was probably more to do with the price of dust than the price of ectos.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

maddoctor.2738

I remember crystalline dust being similar, or more expensive than ecto back then though.

It was about both.
The price of ectos was dropping rapidly before they introduced the salvaging.
Then when HoT was released the price of ectos dropped and was increasing steadily until June 2016. Then from June 2016 it started dropping rapidly.

Dust price has seen a big drop when the patch hit but since then has been mostly steady, until June 2016 where it started dropping rapidly together with the ecto price.

Soon ectos will reach the value they had before the salvaging patch of June 2013. At that point we can all be sure that the devs will do something about it, the question is what.

June 2016 was the turning point for both when they started dropping in value. It’s not a coincidence that the AB multi loot started around that time.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

It was about both.
Then when HoT was released the price of ectos dropped and was increasing steadily until June 2016. Then from June 2016 it started dropping rapidly.

Dust price has seen a big drop when the patch hit but since then has been mostly steady, until June 2016 where it started dropping rapidly together with the ecto price.

Soon ectos will reach the value they had before the salvaging patch of June 2013. At that point we can all be sure that the devs will do something about it, the question is what.

June 2016 was the turning point for both when they started dropping in value. It’s not a coincidence that the AB multi loot started around that time.

how can we be sure they will take action? source?

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

http://www.gw2shinies.com/item/19721

The supply numbers seem to indicate prices are still artificially high and people won’t accept lower prices. Prices should really be much lower than they currently are.

maddoctor.2738

It was about both.

how can we be sure they will take action? source?

From the patch notes of June 2013:

The first part about ectos. Unless they changed their goals and they don’t want ectos to maintain a strong value anymore, the change itself is enough of an indication that they will take action again.

OriOri.8724

Well ok then, that’s as good a reason as any for ectos to be more expensive

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Pretty low I expect. But if you read the thread by the people doing the Auric Basin multi loot, they think it’s great and have many reasons why,

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Auric-Basin-Loot-Exploit-merged

Ugh, I have not sold any of my ectos for months. If they will be so low I would rather just give them to my guild.

maddoctor.2738

Well ok then, that’s as good a reason as any for ectos to be more expensive

Remember when the price of Silk was very low? Then they nerfed salvage rates, increased how many you need for ascended armors and in the end their fix was a not-so-well thought out one.
Remember when all types of Leather were nearly worthless? They once again added a sink for them, making leather needed for nearly everything and just like the situation with Silk it made leather needlessly expensive.

There is no question if the devs want ectos to be expensive or not. They already intervened once to stop their price from falling, and they are an important material, more important than silk or leather.

The real question is how to fix this price drop in a way that makes sense and doesn’t create more problems in the long run. See, after the initial big drop once HoT was released, the price of ectos was always on the rise. That wasn’t good either. They went from 31s to 50s in ~8 months which clearly shows that there wasn’t a good enough supply for ectos back then. Then AB multi loot started and the price started dropping. I’m SURE there is a way to have some balance between supply and demand for ectos and not be in either situation.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Go back to vendor regulated pricing. If the vendor starts undercutting then can’t spike the price.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I see more and more now on the forums everyone blaming the AB loot map, where I personally find it boring and do not par take in the new maps, people also have to realise that,

Anet changed the way new Legendarys are made, you no longer have to play the forge, I used to be a big forge players, and would have easily thrown in 1000+ rares a month into it, now all them same rares are being salvaged, even if I was getting a 75% return that’s still 750 ecto more into the game that before would have been lost into the forge, now take that across hundreds of players,

Anet should have ran the old/new system side by side, for those who want to craft let them craft for those who want to forge let them forge, by making it that its only craftable they are going to continue to see 1000’s of ecto per day enter the market, instead of being forged as rares/exoitcs.

maddoctor.2738

I see more and more now on the forums everyone blaming the AB loot map, where I personally find it boring and do not par take in the new maps, people also have to realise that,

The AB multi loot is the only thing to blame. After HoT and the new legendary weapons were added the price of ectos was rising every day so the new way of getting Legendary weapons didn’t affect the price, for 8 months after HoT release the price of ectos was increasing and increasing.

Then suddenly in June, when AB multi loot became more common and more people found out about it, the price of ectos started dropping rapidly. Within 4 months it dropped more than it was increased in 8 months before it.

The only expensive thing released just before AB multi looting was Chuka and Champawat. I really really doubt that a single legendary weapon forced the price to drop so much while all the others didn’t affect it at all.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Anet changed the way new Legendarys are made, you no longer have to play the forge, I used to be a big forge players, and would have easily thrown in 1000+ rares a month into it, now all them same rares are being salvaged, even if I was getting a 75% return that’s still 750 ecto more into the game that before would have been lost into the forge, now take that across hundreds of players,

Anet should have ran the old/new system side by side, for those who want to craft let them craft for those who want to forge let them forge, by making it that its only craftable they are going to continue to see 1000’s of ecto per day enter the market, instead of being forged as rares/exoitcs.

And a large number of players don’t do the new method for obtaining precursors as it’s not cheaper or quicker.

AB is the cause of the increase in supply.

Change in legendary creation reduced the consumption rate.

They’ve let a pretty drastic increase in supply go without any real demand increase for awhile. Until either demand rises or supply falls, the price is going to fall until it hits the new equilibrium price.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The inflection point was around the time the 3rd raid wing and WvW reward tracks (out of beta) including the change for Gift of Battle, came out (June 14th). Could just be coincidence or a contributor.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I still don’t see why ectos are supposed to be a high value item.

I’m not saying they are supposed to be anything. I’m saying that, relative to the old status quo, AB/ML has ended up dropping the price. I don’t think there’s any inherent price that ecto should sell for — they used to be cheaper than they are today and they used to be more expensive. They go up, they go down. That’s immaterial, to me (you should pardon the expression).

However, the reason for the lower price today ultimately hurts those who don’t multiloot, because for the same effort they used to put in, they end up with less coin while those who do multiloot continue to rake it in.

Is that bad? I’m not saying that either. I’m saying it’s a massive disruption to the old status quo. I’m saying that it accelerates wealth growth those those who participate in a single aspect of the game.

And I’m predicting that ANet will do “something” because in similar situations in the past, they have chosen to rebalance.

In short, I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with the low price of ecto. However, the reason for which the price is so low is the sort of thing ANet tends to rebalance.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

However, the reason for the lower price today ultimately hurts those who don’t multiloot, because for the same effort they used to put in, they end up with less coin while those who do multiloot continue to rake it in.

I just can’t get aboard that argument. Silverwaste dropped the price of several item. Did that hurts people who didn’t do silverwaste?? Anet can add a lot of content/update that increase or decrease the price or any item as they see fit to keep the market healthy.

It’s not an argument against or for AB multimap, it’s an argument against any content that chance prices, which is kind of absurd if you ask me.

The only debate about multimapping should be about :
- Does it too many reward for too little effort? Making any other sort of content unrewarding in comparison. Especially for a content that have almost no little on it since you can do it each 2 hours all day, all week.

- Does it have unintended consequences on the market that Anet disagree with. Which is hard for players to debate because we don’t know what Anet plan are. Did they already planned or decreasing the prices of Glob or maybe they planned on adding more recipes with globs? In that case the drop in prices would be a good thing.

- Is that an exploit? The line if fine because creative or smart use of the game design and exploit. Only anet can answer that since it’s pretty subjective.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

OriOri.8724

@Illconceived Was Na thanks for the clarification. You and @maddoctor explained the situation pretty well.

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

I think bloodstone fen and embay bay give alot of rares from event completion. So combine silver wastes, AB, bloodstone fen and ember bay thats alot rares. I don’t think its Solely AB anymore. I haven’t done AB in months due to it gets boring.

abaddon.3290

I think bloodstone fen and embay bay give alot of rares from event completion. So combine silver wastes, AB, bloodstone fen and ember bay thats alot rares. I don’t think its Solely AB anymore. I haven’t done AB in months due to it gets boring.

ab is also failing like mad and having very few maps because everyone is moving to the new zone. inb4 “nerf ember bay pls”

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Silverwastes chests train, and opening chest in a 53 char gives 3x, 5x more gold. But chests train is incredible boring. Silverwastes isnt time gated.

In AB theres some sort of coordination, so its no “easy content”, its fun at some point and is time-gated.

Because someone would have problems with that?

Because it invested heavily in ectos/handling high prices in marketing.

I was farming gold for Volcanus, and gave up AB,
contrary to what they say, no one is getting “rich” with it, the market corrected himself, with the price drop, only those won gold were the first farmers of AB.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

Posted by: Dirdyy.1648

Dirdyy.1648

Not only ectos are affected.

The most rare Sigil/Rune dropped to vendor price.

And give silk another 2 month it will dropping also to vendor price again like 2013.

Outgoing from the last time this happened, i expect some actions from ANET.

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

I’m absolutely astounded that ML has been allowed for so long..

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

“Ecto’s at an all time low.”

So.. buy a ton of them and wait for Anet to stop AB Multi-loot?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Not only ectos are affected.

The most rare Sigil/Rune dropped to vendor price.

And give silk another 2 month it will dropping also to vendor price again like 2013.

Outgoing from the last time this happened, i expect some actions from ANET.

You mean something like … renewal of the Legendary releases? Oh right … :rolleyes:

So much sensational yammer about how Anet needs to step in … I mean, this IS how Anet steps in guys. So much instant gratification mentality in this thread.

Malediktus.3740

“Ecto’s at an all time low.”

So.. buy a ton of them and wait for Anet to stop AB Multi-loot?

this is a bad idea, low profit even if goes back to 50s one day

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

That is kind of how a player driven market works. They might try to add ‘sinks’ but it is mostly up to the economy to dictate the prices. The overall amount of rares seems to have gone up after HoT hit. The power creep led to faster completion times on absolutely everything and therefor increasing the overall amount of loot. Kind of applies to most content. Multiloot might be a big culprit here but far from the only one.
Also, stopped giving a kitten about whether they nerf it or not a long time ago. People will never agree even with the slightest changes as long as they are being effected by it.

There will always be something else to farm eventually. We are already seeing a new very casual friendly daily-hearts system. Seems to be the direction the game is taking now.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I just can’t get aboard that argument. Silverwaste dropped the price of several item. Did that hurts people who didn’t do silverwaste?? Anet can add a lot of content/update that increase or decrease the price or any item as they see fit to keep the market healthy.

@Thadeus: you’re right — I shouldn’t have said AB/ML “hurts” people who don’t participate. I meant it economically, not as a judgment — the thing the non-participants did before now yields less for them. And yes, the old Silverwastes farm had that impact, too — you could run around opening chests for hours and earn plenty, while those chasing world bosses ended up with relatively less.

To me, this is neither good nor bad — it is simply what happens when a single farm is far more lucrative than any other. Like any economic disruption, it’s good for some and less shiny for others.

It does tend to concentrate the community into narrow areas of the game and it tends to make the markets less diverse, both of which aren’t sustainable for the long-term health of any game. But arguably both those things have positive, short-term effects.

My main point remains the same: in the past — including the original silverwastes farm — ANet has chosen to nerf the mechanics (and loot) of the lucrative farm and/or buffed the competing farms. They have chosen not to let a single farm overwhelm other parts of the game.

Which is why I think that the current price of ecto isn’t very interesting; it’s a side effect of AB/ML and if/when AB/ML is changed, the price of ecto will change, too.

maddoctor.2738

That is kind of how a player driven market works. They might try to add ‘sinks’ but it is mostly up to the economy to dictate the prices. The overall amount of rares seems to have gone up after HoT hit. The power creep led to faster completion times on absolutely everything and therefor increasing the overall amount of loot. Kind of applies to most content. Multiloot might be a big culprit here but far from the only one.
Also, stopped giving a kitten about whether they nerf it or not a long time ago. People will never agree even with the slightest changes as long as they are being effected by it.

There will always be something else to farm eventually. We are already seeing a new very casual friendly daily-hearts system. Seems to be the direction the game is taking now.

As I said earlier in this thread when HoT was released ecto price dropped a bit, but since then it’s been growing and growing until AB Multi loot started in June. If the overall amount of rares was increased with the release of HoT and the powercreep and whatever you say was affecting the price there wouldn’t be an INCREASE in ecto price for 8 whole months after HoT release. Then once AB multi loot became a thing it dropped sharply, it dropped bellow pre-HoT prices in just 4 months (it took it 8 to get there)

Posted by: AuTomA.2459

AuTomA.2459

I totally agree,never seen ecto price going so low,i don’t get why this Multiloot it’s not nerfed yet,i remember when it popped up sw cf it got nerfed like 1 hour later when people jumped from map to map and it was no less profitable than multiloot.Multiloot instead is going on for MONTHS and nobody in Anet takes action against it,it’s breaking the ecto price,the sigil/runes price/the rare items price/the materials for ascends etc,it’s just destroying the market.

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

Ecto is cheap, but even so its currently a relative bad investment, and that should say something. Its barely gone down past 85% its “base price”, if we can say that ecto has a base price.

It would be interesting to know how large portion of gw2 history that ecto has been worth above 34 silver, which is how high ectos need to rise in order for an investment to start giving returns. Really, it would need to go to 40 silver for a low 20% return of investment.

Materials for ascends is cheaper because of the multi farm? Elder wood logs are at an all high (and it went past rich iron ore as the more effective solo gold farm). Mithril ore is still on the higher end compared to earlier years, where it used to cost around 30 copper. That leaves Silk Scrap and Thick Leather Section, which both been going steady down ever since they spiked after a patch that drastically changed the demand. None of them correlate with the multi farm.

(edited by Belorn.2659)

Posted by: IcyTear.6378

IcyTear.6378

I totally agree,never seen ecto price going so low,i don’t get why this Multiloot it’s not nerfed yet,i remember when it popped up sw cf it got nerfed like 1 hour later when people jumped from map to map and it was no less profitable than multiloot.Multiloot instead is going on for MONTHS and nobody in Anet takes action against it,it’s breaking the ecto price,the sigil/runes price/the rare items price/the materials for ascends etc,it’s just destroying the market.

So if some item’s price drop that mean " destroying the market " . Wow , such wow . Let’s me tell you what exactly destroy the economy , that’s is RAW GOLD , and do you know where’s it come from ? Daily ( 2 gold ) , Sell item to NPC , TEQ ( 1 gold ) , open chest ( few Silver ) , Convert gem to gold …
Now , looking back at AB/ML , does it generate any RAW gold or just items that you can sell on TP for gold ? And each times you sell somethings on TP , 15% gold vanished from game forever ? Is it good or bad ?
Do you remember when gem price was 150 gold / 400 gem ? Now it’s 100 gold / 400 gem . Your game is saved by AB/ML . So stop blaming and sell all your stack of ectos , you greedy skirt .
)

abaddon.3290

did you just say sw got nerfed? LOL yeah right. source or i dont believe you.if your talking about the crest nerf. thats not even a nerf.

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Only time SW chest farm got nerfed was when there were like 20 chests spawning right outside Amber.

They nerfed it by reducing the chest amounts spawning there as well as crest drops from the chest so that it wasn’t self sustaining because people just ignored the entire map and chest farmed there.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN