Election year should have election storylines

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

With elections happening all over the world this year, wouldn’t it be appropriate for Anet to have Ellel Kiel have to run for re-election for her Captain’s Council seat? It would make for a very interesting Living World season to have Kiel battle Gnashblade in a rematch of player voting.

We could have Gem Store tie-in campaigns, themed campaign flag backpieces, and the good ole Gems for Votes option to buy your candidate to victory! It’s a great opportunity to drive microtransaction sales if you could spend real money to decide the fate of a storyline. I’m sure it would be pirate approved.

#TeamGnashblade
#YesWeCan

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Interesting? Probably not. It’s a storyline that’s already been told once. Telling it again won’t make it more interesting.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m with Just a Flesh Wound on this. While the Kiel/Gnashblade election was a neat idea, of all the things we’ve done that could get a revisit, it’s very near the bottom of my list.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that every year is an election year.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Ye gods, no. When I’m bombarded by politics in real life, I play some games for escapism.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

At first I was going to post no thanks because I want the living story people to keep working on their current content, further delays would be even more damaging. But I did liked the old event and it would be nice to have something similar.

Perhaps the team that works on current events could throw something together?

#TeamGnashblade

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

For a seat to open, someone is going to either have to lose their majority favor within the council or die. The election only occurred because one of its members died, the next person in line had also died and multiple alternatives were brought up within the council. You didn’t elect them into their position, you were increasing their favor with the council. The council is basically the founding families.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I am sorry Penguin. As much as I would like to see Evon and Kiel (and Hero-Tron) again I dont think an election would be a good idea (at least for now) specifically because of three reasons:
1. The last time these two did anything was in S1 and had a small scene at the end of Season 2 and when LA was rebuilt.
2. If the current events and blogpost from the begginings of 2016 are a hint then the LS will deal with the egg, taimi and her findings in rata novus, rytlock’s return, canach and the shining blade, Zojja and Logan’s status, the new ley line energy, and potential white mantle . There’s no mention of the recurring characters from S1, however, Evon is aware of the ley line magic (another reason why he’s the best) and his hidden asura gate has tons of it, and in the most recent current events LA is mentioned AND if there is a war on kryta we can all bet LA will be involved.
3. With point 2 being said, if these characters are to be involved I dont think there would be time for an election. If the white mantle returns, LA needs to be ready. We need everyone’s favorite merchant to supply every soldier and hero with the best weaponry. We need a certain secret organization to make a surprise aid, we need the lionguard ready (now with a brave little golem who has defensive abilities), and we need to see the newest member of the Captain’s Council be competent, if she screws up then…yeah we can go for a re-election in S4 :p

Edit:also….no way I would pay gems to show my support, that will enrage all of us.

(edited by eduardo.1436)

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

With elections happening all over the world this year, wouldn’t it be appropriate for Anet to have Ellel Kiel have to run for re-election for her Captain’s Council seat? It would make for a very interesting Living World season to have Kiel battle Gnashblade in a rematch of player voting.

We could have Gem Store tie-in campaigns, themed campaign flag backpieces, and the good ole Gems for Votes option to buy your candidate to victory! It’s a great opportunity to drive microtransaction sales if you could spend real money to decide the fate of a storyline. I’m sure it would be pirate approved.

#TeamGnashblade
#YesWeCan

Keep that on the NA servers then, the rest of us don’t give a _ _ _ _.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Sorry to break it to you, but it’s not election year all over the world. Here are some dates in europe:

2016:
Cyprus, Spain, Lithuania, Romania
2017:
Netherlands, France, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany
2018:
Italy, Malta, Hungary, Belgium, Slowenia, Luxemburg, Sweden, Latvia, Austria
2019:
European Parliament, Estonia, Finland, Denmark, Greece, Portugal, Poland, Croatia

So from this list I don’t think that 2016 is any more an election year, than 2017, 2018, etc.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s referendum time in the UK, the question being asked is whether to #remain in the EU or #leave the EU. I can’t really see a storyline where the humans think about leaving the Pact just because a major political event is happening in one country.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s referendum time in the UK, the question being asked is whether to #remain in the EU or #leave the EU. I can’t really see a storyline where the humans think about leaving the Pact just because a major political event is happening in one country.

Well, I for one am sick of all those Pacters coming over here telling us what to do, taking our jobs, and our homes, and our women, and then running off with our money laughing whilst our politicians pretend it’s a good thing. Next we’ll be giving equal rights to plants and munchkins. I say we vote Leave. Freeeeeee-dom!

/parody

Actually, a referendum campaign in-game could never reach the level of insanity and dishonesty that we are seeing from both sides in RL UK politics right now. And, similarly, a story-line that mimicked the RL US election race would seem just too far-fetched to be believable. Fact sometimes are stranger than fiction…

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

#TeamGnashblade
#YesWeCan

#NoWeShouldn’t

We had an election; Gnashblade lost the seat (and won increased profits). If a new seat opens up, someone else would run for it. Apparently, these are lifetime positions.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Carrion.8249

Carrion.8249

We’re already getting bombarded with election news irl. Why spread that here?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I don’t agree with all of the escapism arguments as much as I dislike ingame events being tied to real life events. (some select holiday times excluded.) It just need to make sense to have an election running. But never make it because some real life election takes place as well.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s too dangerous to tie in-game stories to real-world events, especially when those real-world events involve politics.

We should have stories because they make sense in the world of Tyria, not because it mirrors real-life stuff.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As already noted it’s not an election year all over the world. I’m sure there are numerous elections going on in democratic countries all around the world (we had one here a few weeks ago for a new police commissioner) but no more so than in any other year.

But also it wouldn’t make any sense in GW2. The Captain’s Council is not a democratically elected body so they don’t hold regular elections. Normally the council chooses it’s own members and if I remember correctly the only actual requirements are that you must be a resident of Lion’s Arch and hold the rank of captain, either of a ship or in a military capacity like Kiel. Beyond that it’s decided by a combination of the existing members personal preference, bribery and popular opinion.

In one exceptional case the members couldn’t decide for themselves (even with bribery) so public opinion became the deciding factor and that lead to campaigning for residents and ‘people with ties to the city’ (aka our characters) to show support for one or another of the candidates.

But until another member dies or steps down they won’t need to choose a new member and when that does happen they will most likely pick one themselves without involving the rest of us.

Finally it looks like we’ve already got one political storyline developing through a combination of the raids and the new Current Events stuff (specifically the bandits and the new one where we have to tear down protest posters) which I’m guessing is going to feed into Season 3.

(As I’ve said before my guess is Season 3 is going to at least start with a focus on the effect back home of the Pact persuading world leaders to contribute their own armies to fighting Mordremoth, then getting most of them killed in the Jungle. I can imagine a combination of a backlash against the Pact leadership – aka the player – and examples of civil unrest due to the absence of law enforcement which we will be expected to deal with.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

#TeamGnashblade
#YesWeCan

#NoWeShouldn’t

We had an election; Gnashblade lost the seat (and won increased profits). If a new seat opens up, someone else would run for it. Apparently, these are lifetime positions.

Exactly true, Ellen was elected to fill a dead captain’s shoes. And as many have pointed out every year is election year somewhere (ours was last year) the US presidential election is irrelevant to Tyria.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

I imagine whatever Anet has in store for us is pretty much set in stone already. They probably have all the major story beats and such done in pre-production and production is mostly making that stuff happen, which I imagine takes a decent amount of time in itself. So requesting specific story events are pretty futile at this stage.

If there is a re-election already set in the story, I think it could still lead to an interesting story though. Maybe some assassination attempts or interruption during a speech like how Dragon Bash got attacked. Or maybe someone is sabotaging Ellen Kiel’s image and forcing her out of office early. But again, I doubt any requests will have much, if any influence on the current story as it is now. Especially with these “mini-events” they’ve set in motion leading up to LS3 I think things are already set plot wise.

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

I think we have enough political stuff in game and in the Forums.
You can allways partake in the gender shaming threat and tell us why the evil patriachy surpresses skimpy male armour.
That is what rallies the forums, voting rallies only the wvw sub forum.

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

No
1: The election last time was an anomaly, that’s not how the captain’s council works (the election was for who would get the trade contract with the zephyrites, which lead to being appointed to the council, not for the appointment itself).
2: The election thing was a mistake the first time, there’s no need to repeat mistakes (disappointing up to half the players by telling them what they could have if they win and then not having it because they lost is not a good idea).
3: All over the world? I know of 1 major country having elections this year. Alternatively, there are statistically going to be elections all over the word every year.

I am somewhat surprised New Lions Arch (or New New Lions Arch) even has a Captains Council, given that they allowed the city to be destroyed in the first place.
It’d have made more sense to me if the captains had been exiled (or worse) for their guilt through negligence in the deaths of quite a few citizens.
If there’d been a more democratic government it might make some sense to have elections although it’d still be a bad idea (see point 2 above).

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Elections all over the world? Isn’t normal that every year there are elections across the world? What makes this year different?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

penelopehannibal.8947

Elections all over the world? Isn’t normal that every year there are elections across the world? What makes this year different?

America?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

America?

Upcoming elections:

Argentina: 2019
Bolivia: 2019
Bermuda: 2017
Brazil: 2018
Canada: 2019
Chile: 2017
Colombia: 2018
Costa Rica: 2018
Dominican Republic: 2016 <- look, here’s one!
Ecuador: 2017
El Salvador: 2019
Falkland Islands: 2017
Guatemala: 2019?
Honduras: 2017
Mexico: 2018
Nicaragua: 2016 <- another one!
Panama: 2019
Peru: 2016 <- oooh
Trinidad and Tobago: 2020
United States: 2016
Uruguay: 2019
Venezuela: 2018

Nope, I guess “America” isn’t what makes it special…

penelopehannibal.8947

Nope, not to me either, since my country’s ‘election year’ was last year. I was just guessing on behalf of the OP.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Nope, not to me either, since my country’s ‘election year’ was last year. I was just guessing on behalf of the OP.

The OP has said in other threads that he is an American. It’s reasonable to think that he is basing the premise of the thread about election year on his nationality (and possibly because ANet is an American based game).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think the point is the OP is very likely American and assumes that because it’s a big election year in his country it must also be a big election year everywhere else in the world.

To be fair I think US news outlets have also been reporting on the upcoming EU Referendum in the UK, but as the politicians involved have been keen to remind us that’s not an election (and therefore they shouldn’t be expected to have any actual plan in place for if they get their way, or even any idea of what the effect might be, they just have to shout louder than the other guy).

Presumably they also report on elections in other countries, but my American friends don’t message me to ask if those reports are accurate and I don’t typically follow American news myself so I’m not sure.

But yeah, whilst there are a few different elections and other political processes going on that’s no different to any other year.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

LA riot in 2017
abolish WP costs
abolish TP taxes
reduce gem prices
give us moar gold and candy

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

My first thought when I saw this thread was “guess Evon’s funding Trump.”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The last election in game was boring. I do t fancy doing the same thing again thanks but no.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Why Kiel? It stands to reason that the terms of others who have been serving longer would be up before hers would be. >.>

While I would not be particularly excited by an election, I can’t help but notice certain parallels between a certain Republican and a certain Charr.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

The captains council generally doesn’t hold elections. So no one’s term is up or makes a spot on the council.

There simply was an election because the Master of Peace wanted to give his trade accord only to the one who had gotten the most public backing.

Technically speaking there’s not even a set amount of seats on it and Evon Gnashblade could join on his own accords if the current council would agree with that.

I actually don’t know the specifics but yeah. An election is out of place no matter what.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

How do you know the rest of us don’t give a toss? Did you personally ask every single player on the EU server? You certainly didn’t ask me, so don’t presume to speak on my behalf.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

Actually, a referendum campaign in-game could never reach the level of insanity and dishonesty that we are seeing from both sides in RL UK politics right now. And, similarly, a story-line that mimicked the RL US election race would seem just too far-fetched to be believable. Fact sometimes are stranger than fiction…

Given what’s just happened to Jo Cox, politics in game is the last thing I want in game right now. Especially as the bandits being after me is bad enough timing.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

penelopehannibal.8947

I believe there is an election here anyway:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Charr-and-Asura-female-precursor-armor

Vote your tails off!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I believe there is an election here anyway:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Charr-and-Asura-female-precursor-armor

Vote your tails off!

I don’t think it’s tails that people are voting off (or on).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

How do you know the rest of us don’t give a toss? Did you personally ask every single player on the EU server? You certainly didn’t ask me, so don’t presume to speak on my behalf.

UK don’t count as EU anymore your on your way out.