Enable Down Leveled Loot in Options

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Giving high level players character level instead of map level drops was done to populate empty maps but it has created a major problem. Cloth and leather are only obtained from bags and salvaging armor (ignoring item promotion as it also utilizes low level mats) and ascended crafting uses large quantities of low level materials that a level 80 cannot reasonably obtain.

On a level 30 map I can mine or harvest level 30 wood and ore but my armor drops are 75+.

With the introduction of the mega server system cancelling the need to incentivize high level players to populate low maps I ask that one of two fixes be put into place to rebalance the system.

1. Allow players to halt levelling on a character.
A button in the options menu or on the character selection screen that would stop a character from gaining XP. Players could have a linen farmer character and Anet could sell more character slots.

2. Enable downscaled loot in options menu. Players can enable this and then receive loot based on their down level making cloth and leather nearly as simple to obtain as wood and ore.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Or allow us to buy nodes from which to gather cloth and leather. Preferably with karma, since the nodes at the Gem Store don’t really cut it.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

1. Allow players to halt levelling on a character.

City of Heroes had this, and while I never used it there (never saw the point there), it would be very helpful here. trying to get silver doubloons, cloth or leather of a certain level… etc.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Completely agree.

Posted by: skillze.7689

skillze.7689

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

I agree. I’m getting tired of two character slots taken by toons I can’t play so they can open bags and get linen and cotton. I don’t have a spare slot for a toon to get wool.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

its a genius design.

As the Population reaches higher levels and higher level crafting, the older mats replace the newer gained mats as the new major mat. Acting as a endless time sink from level 1-80 and into Endgame.

Aidenwolf.5964

its a genius design.

As the Population reaches higher levels and higher level crafting, the older mats replace the newer gained mats as the new major mat. Acting as a endless time sink from level 1-80 and into Endgame.

The current system is a failure. Materials players obtain while leveling are now more valuable due to rarity than their T6 cousins. These mats can be sold to give new players an injection of cash but that comes at a price, as when they level crafting they have no real option but to buy the mats they sold on the TP as they’ve now out leveled their material gathering ability.

The system currently makes no sense as mobs drop items they cannot equip. A level 30 bandit when looted drops a level 80 leather armor.

PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I disagree. The current system gives new players the opportunity to make some gold early in the game by selling those mats. Now I’ve been playing since release, but when I imagine joining now and having no real way to make some gold until I reach level 80 because everything I can do, a level 80 can do better and with more efficiency… Nah, I don’t like that thought.

As for the “can’t level crafting if you sell” aspect… You can choose to level crafting, or choose to sell, or choose to sell half and level crafting with the rest. Maybe you only want armoursmith and chef, so you don’t need as much cloth and leather anyway, and ore can be farmed regardless of level. Maybe you want to wait until you’re 80 anyway, to see which crafting discipline you even need. Nobody forces you to sell your loot, but it’s good to have the option.

Besides, it’s yet another aspect that makes leveling an alt (leveling, not having, mind you) more fun and rewarding. And if you really, really hate alts, you can always convert karma into scraps, if need be.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Aidenwolf.5964

I agree. I’m getting tired of two character slots taken by toons I can’t play so they can open bags and get linen and cotton. I don’t have a spare slot for a toon to get wool.

Down leveling loot is a simple fix to the old mechanic. If players like the new system then don’t activate the down leveling, simple.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I disagree. The current system gives new players the opportunity to make some gold early in the game by selling those mats. Now I’ve been playing since release, but when I imagine joining now and having no real way to make some gold until I reach level 80 because everything I can do, a level 80 can do better and with more efficiency… Nah, I don’t like that thought.

As for the “can’t level crafting if you sell” aspect… You can choose to level crafting, or choose to sell, or choose to sell half and level crafting with the rest. Maybe you only want armoursmith and chef, so you don’t need as much cloth and leather anyway, and ore can be farmed regardless of level. Maybe you want to wait until you’re 80 anyway, to see which crafting discipline you even need. Nobody forces you to sell your loot, but it’s good to have the option.

Besides, it’s yet another aspect that makes leveling an alt (leveling, not having, mind you) more fun and rewarding. And if you really, really hate alts, you can always convert karma into scraps, if need be.

^^

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Aidenwolf.5964

Which they need to level crafting. If they sell while leveling they have no real option but to buy them at 80.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Thanks to DR after a while you start getting level appropriate gear. Trust me I’ve grinded the centaur population into near extinction after some wool.

Aidenwolf.5964

Thanks to DR after a while you start getting level appropriate gear. Trust me I’ve grinded the centaur population into near extinction after some wool.

Odd that we need to embrace DR to get what we want but your service to the Anti Centaur Alliance will never be forgotten.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

i could be wrong on this but i think you can still get low level drops just a rarer drop compared to lvl 80 as i have gotten strong gear on my necro and i doubt i had been in the area long enough for DR

Aidenwolf.5964

i could be wrong on this but i think you can still get low level drops just a rarer drop compared to lvl 80 as i have gotten strong gear on my necro and i doubt i had been in the area long enough for DR

You most likely did an event.

PugLife SoloQ