Enable Outfit Creation from Unlocked Skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VDAC.2137

VDAC.2137

Instead of using transmutation charges to override the armor appearance of a particular piece, I would like to be able to create outfits from my unlocked armor skins. For example, I want my new sylvari character to wear sylvari armor but this is only available for levels 35, 60 and 80. Of course I can unlock the skins, but I don’t want to waste transmutation charges on armor that I’m going to replace after a few levels. GW2 is all about the experience and not having to reach final level endgame to play the character and content that you want and it would be wonderful to have this reflected in outfit/wardrobe choices as well! I would expect to pay gems/charges/something but then I want my character to be able to be able to wear the outfit I create from level 0 to level 80 if I so desire, independent of upgrading their armor.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

instead of asking for a redo of the UI to have another Barbie doll panel for mix and match armor that acts like an outfit, why not simply ask that T charges be removed from the game?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Because you may want to wear different armors depending on the maps. Fur for the Shiverpeaks, light clothes for the jungle, etc, and that’s precisely where outfits are handy (there is NO WAY someone would change his armor / dyes manually whenever he WP to another region).

I made the same suggestion a few months ago, but not many people seemed interested… It’s a shame. Anet could exchange those custom outfit slots for transmutation charges and finally start selling some…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

instead of asking for a redo of the UI to have another Barbie doll panel for mix and match armor that acts like an outfit, why not simply ask that T charges be removed from the game?

In some other games I’ve played, I’ve seen it done where you basically have 2 slots side by side, one for armor and one for skins. Some take it a step further by having multiple pages, allowing you to store multiple outfits. Something like that would be better because the skins aren’t actually tied to your gear, so not only are you more likely to skin while leveling, it also prevents cases where, for example, cultural armor prevents you from transferring ascended.

The simple solution is of course removing the charges, but if ArenaNet did this, they could instead compensate by making them more rare, so maybe people would actually buy them.

VDAC.2137

I didn’t think that asking, “Can I have for free something that I would currently have to pay for?” would be well received. Instead, I’m suggesting what I would be glad to pay for, however it might be implemented.

Because you may want to wear different armors depending on the maps. Fur for the Shiverpeaks, light clothes for the jungle, etc, and that’s precisely where outfits are handy (there is NO WAY someone would change his armor / dyes manually whenever he WP to another region).

But that’s exactly what DOESN’T happen now! I create a female Norn elementalist and she’s NOT wearing furs or anything like her countrymen but instead it’s the same ridiculous outfit as her counterparts everywhere.

In some other games I’ve played, I’ve seen it done where you basically have 2 slots side by side, one for armor and one for skins. Some take it a step further by having multiple pages, allowing you to store multiple outfits.

EXACTLY! Anything like that would be GREAT!

(edited by VDAC.2137)

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

In some other games I’ve played, I’ve seen it done where you basically have 2 slots side by side, one for armor and one for skins. Some take it a step further by having multiple pages, allowing you to store multiple outfits. Something like that would be better because the skins aren’t actually tied to your gear, so not only are you more likely to skin while leveling, it also prevents cases where, for example, cultural armor prevents you from transferring ascended.

The simple solution is of course removing the charges, but if ArenaNet did this, they could instead compensate by making them more rare, so maybe people would actually buy them.

As someone who is CONSTANTLY buying them, I have to agree on deleting them completely, or AT LEAST making them easier to obtain. I cannot express enough how frustrating the current system is for those who are constantly changing and tweaking the looks and the gear of their characters. And it’s just completely outrageous trying to obtain these without paying gems; 2 stones per an entire reward track, and one every now and then when I bother to do map completion. Yay. A fine example of my frustration actually happened just two hours ago; I noticed my ele’s gear was slightly off, so I wanted to replace a couple armor pieces. But then I realized I have 0 TM stones, and I just don’t have the 30 gold at the moment to buy them, because I did that just a couple of days ago and wasted them all once again. So now I had to decide between a build I’m not happy with, or ruining my looks.

Those people who have one or two characters and are happy with them, have stored up hundreds of TM charges. And those who constantly need them, are always running out. Please make them tradeable, easier to obtain, make a TM reward track, or at least let me buy a 1000-charge package for 1000 gems or something.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

But that’s exactly what DOESN’T happen now! I create a female Norn elementalist and she’s NOT wearing furs or anything like her countrymen but instead it’s the same ridiculous outfit as her counterparts everywhere.

My point was… If you’re into roleplaying and want to change your look depending on the environment (basically whenever you go to a new region / encounter a new climate), at the moment, you have to transmute every single piece of equipment and eventually change the dye (which takes way too long to be realistically doable), and you must spent 6 TC (which is way too expensive, even for a PvPer or WvWer who has tons of them).

If we could turn our armors into outfits, then that would just be one click (open H panel, change your outfit), which would be much more doable. In a perfect world, you could even bring back some mechanics from the old town clothes, and let you pre-define one of those custom (or not custom) outfits for every region or part of the game (Tyria, Ascalon, cities, etc) so it would automatically change.

VDAC.2137

My point was… If you’re into roleplaying and want to change your look depending on the environment (basically whenever you go to a new region / encounter a new climate), at the moment, you have to transmute every single piece of equipment and eventually change the dye (which takes way too long to be realistically doable), and you must spent 6 TC (which is way too expensive, even for a PvPer or WvWer who has tons of them).

If we could turn our armors into outfits, then that would just be one click (open H panel, change your outfit), which would be much more doable. In a perfect world, you could even bring back some mechanics from the old town clothes, and let you pre-define one of those custom (or not custom) outfits for every region or part of the game (Tyria, Ascalon, cities, etc) so it would automatically change.

My apologies! I misread your post. I agree completely.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If I understand correctly, VDAC is suggesting something akin to a “build saver/loader” feature as applied to the wardrobe. You picks your skins & colors, give it a name, and load it at will.

I love the idea and would pay gems for it.

(I don’t think it necessarily needs to be part of the outfit system, although that’s an obvious way to integrate such a feature into the game.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Good idea! Make it so

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

…….. and would pay gems for it.

Shhhhhh !! stop saying that

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you lose dye channel customization going from armor to outfits.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I think an indirect form of this will come with Build Templates; by swapping builds, your pre-made look will change along with the gear you set.

With that in mind, any extra clutter such as outfit creation would only bloat the UI and mechanics.

NSPride <3

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

If I understand correctly, VDAC is suggesting something akin to a “build saver/loader” feature as applied to the wardrobe. You picks your skins & colors, give it a name, and load it at will.

(I don’t think it necessarily needs to be part of the outfit system, although that’s an obvious way to integrate such a feature into the game.)

Yeah – this seems like the easiest solution. Allow us to set up outfit templates, and give a discount for transmutation charges on the outfits.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I think an indirect form of this will come with Build Templates; by swapping builds, your pre-made look will change along with the gear you set.

With that in mind, any extra clutter such as outfit creation would only bloat the UI and mechanics.

Build templates would only save what you had equipped, not your wardrobe. Even if they did implement wardrobe templates, it’d only be a macro to apply skins.

To implement an outfit-like wardrobe, the modifications to the UI could be as simple as a small row of buttons to allow for multiple pages. Pages would be sold for gems of course, where each page would store a set of skins, working exactly like it does now. There’d probably be 5 to 10 pages at most, only 1 free, meaning that many outfits. Activating one of those pages would freely apply all of those skins to your current gear, but for a better implementation, skins should equipped instead transmuted, to prevent the problem with cultural armor.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Would love to see outfit customization and/or dropping of transmute charges.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Simple – make a “user-created outfit tab”, and sell them on the gem-store like they do with the shared inventory slots… 700 gems for each slot, or whatever. Slots are account-wide, and will not allow you to select the slot if it contains cultural skins that you can’t use.

Profit.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Build templates would only save what you had equipped, not your wardrobe. Even if they did implement wardrobe templates, it’d only be a macro to apply skins.

To implement an outfit-like wardrobe, the modifications to the UI could be as simple as a small row of buttons to allow for multiple pages. Pages would be sold for gems of course, where each page would store a set of skins, working exactly like it does now. There’d probably be 5 to 10 pages at most, only 1 free, meaning that many outfits. Activating one of those pages would freely apply all of those skins to your current gear, but for a better implementation, skins should equipped instead transmuted, to prevent the problem with cultural armor.

Which is why I stated “indirect.”

NSPride <3

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I forget the exact details because it’s been a while, but there is already a problem with just swapping outfits. You cannot set the dyes for each outfit, there seems to be only one dye channel per character for ALL outfits.

Making your own outfits from existing skins would be great, but they need to fix the dye issue or it’s kind of pointless.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

For a long time now, I’ve believed that the current wardrobe system, with one wardrobe slot, multiple charges and the need to both store/carry and manually switch up to 10 pieces of gear is clumsy, and discourages people from pursuing multiple looks for each character. I’d like to see ANet:

• Provide multiple wardrobe slots that can be switched to with one click.
  • Charge gems for slots beyond the first.
  • T Charges would still be needed to insert a look into a wardrobe slot, or to change looks within a wardrobe slot.

That would, I believe, encourage players to seek multiple looks for each character, broadening the appeal of skin-seeking. I also think it would give the OP what he’s asking for. It could even mean more money for ANet.

Posted by: Yulien Anton.6714

Yulien Anton.6714

SWToR does a good job of this by allowing for players to purchase multiple outfit screens that overlay individual pieces of armor. The extra screens cost the equivalent of gems while the changes themselves cost gold to apply. Its one of the things I thought worked really well in their system.

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

Rift has the best costume game I’ve seen. Every item you collect on every character (restricted by server I’m pretty sure), no armor type restrictions, free changes, purchasable slots to save particular setups, way more options to choose from.

I doubt anet would ever get rid of t charges, because it’s one more thing they can make some money on. Casual players don’t get the amount of free charges as someone competing maps, or anything else that would reward them. I’ve always hated having a cost to changing your appearance. I’m not a fan of outfits, but at least you can change your look for free.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I really like this idea.
Or whichever of these implementations of this idea makes the most sense.

VDAC.2137

Yes, that’s it exactly!

I would actually use MORE transmutation charges if I could actually save and reuse outfits that I made because then I could create multiple looks for a character.