End game progression finally coming?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I can’t seem to find the article now but I read in the next expansion they are finally adding end game progression similar to how Diablo 3 has legacy levels and eso has champion points.

Does anyone know if this is actually true? I would be so incredibly happy if they actually added this to the game. I’d finally have a reason to do events again!

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t remember seeing anything mentioning that.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Since no concrete info has been given on the new expansion, only unsubstantiated leaks we have no idea if such a statement could be true. Regardless, I have read nothing about it either

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I saw a post in the WvW forum mentioning Vet levels or similar along with a bunch of other stuff about WvW, but it was taken down within a couple of hours of posting. I don’t know if I would put much stock in it unless you see something official (an ANet blog on their game site, or interview with someone known to be on the ANet team).

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Somehow, I don’t associate things I’d like to see in this game with “endgame progression”.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I can’t seem to find the article now but I read in the next expansion they are finally adding end game progression similar to how Diablo 3 has legacy levels and eso has champion points.

Does anyone know if this is actually true? I would be so incredibly happy if they actually added this to the game. I’d finally have a reason to do events again!

This already exists in the form of masteries. It will further exist in the form of a second elite spec, expanding each class to have three main “forms” of play associated, not just two as we have today.

If you mean, becoming mechanically stronger, such as Diablo 3 style “paragon points” which you spend to increase damage output and resistance, etc, then I certainly hope it does not happen: progression via increased strength is indistinguishable from resetting a character to level one and announcing “hey, for the new content, why don’t you just level up again, eh?”

Which is to say: the lack of vertical progression, which this would be, is one of the main advantages of GW2 compared to the competition. Giving that up would not be desirable, because it substitutes grinding back to the same power level you had before for actual gameplay.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As RoseofGilead said we’ve not been given any information on the next expansion except that it exists. So any details you’ve seen are either unconfirmed leaks, fake leaks or speculation.

In this case it’s highly likely someone misunderstood the mastery system. It’s very common discussion on the Elder Scrolls Online forum – someone complains about grinding champion points, GW2 is mentioned as an alternate model, people spend a few minutes on google and insist that mastery points are obviously the exact same thing with a different name. (FYI They’re not, ESO’s champion points are more like Hero points – you use them to unlock passive abilities and stat increases.)

Alternatively it could be someone who wants that type of progression in GW2 talking about masteries they’d like to see, which aren’t as situational and give combat bonuses.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Maybe this is a sneaky anet clue?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wild-Eye_Miller

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

This already exists in the form of masteries. It will further exist in the form of a second elite spec, expanding each class to have three main “forms” of play associated, not just two as we have today.

You wrote “three” and “two” accidentally, instead of 2 and 1.

Only two classes regularly use their non-elite spec, and even for those it’s a very specialized thing just that the use case is more common, narrow as it is.

Elite specs are a ginormous power creep compared to base classes. Base classes are factually outdated now.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I suspect that, if such an article existed, it was pure conjecture/rumor.

Masteries fill this role – and I would much rather see them expand upon and improve that system rather than add any kind of power or level based progression to the game in any way.

It would be the ultimate deviation from what GW2 is now and was at launch – and would probably be enough to push a lot of people away from the game.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I suspect that, if such an article existed, it was pure conjecture/rumor.

Masteries fill this role – and I would much rather see them expand upon and improve that system rather than add any kind of power or level based progression to the game in any way.

It would be the ultimate deviation from what GW2 is now and was at launch – and would probably be enough to push a lot of people away from the game.

While I love disagreeing with Blaeys, he is spot on with this assessment.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Masteries are the endgame progression…….

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

ehhh if only it was what they marketed it as, character progression passed lvl 80

zealex.9410

by endgame progression u must mean masteries

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Endgame means the end of the game. It’s over. No more to do.

Been playing since Beta over 4 years ago, almost everyday and I still have loads of stuff to do. I do not want an end to a fun time!!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

ehhh if only it was what they marketed it as, character progression passed lvl 80

It is absolutely character progression. Just like adding new skills and title unlocks was character progression in GW1. If you removed the broken and overpowered title skills added in EOTN, the title track bonuses were very similar to mastry tracks. They were a form of progression that gave you specific advantages.

What they’re not is an endless pile of numbers that just adds meaningless power to characters that necessitate every new bit of content also having higher numbers. That’s the model a lot of games use, and its boring. “progressing” in to +400 more DPS only to fight enemies with 400 DPS more damage mitigation doesn’t add anything to gameplay. It just adds bigger number to combat logs.

Playing Dialbo 3 with more paragon levels doesn’t appreciabley add anything to gameplay. You just stack bigger numbers so you can fight enemies with bigger numbers, but its still the same repetitive content.

While not every mastry is amazing, Mastries are meaningful progression that actually adds new functionality to the character by accessing new content or new methods to interact with old content. That’s a lot more fun than 2% more armor or 5% more crit chance.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

zealex.9410

It is absolutely character progression. Just like adding new skills and title unlocks was character progression in GW1. If you removed the broken and overpowered title skills added in EOTN, the title track bonuses were very similar to mastry tracks. They were a form of progression that gave you specific advantages.

What they’re not is an endless pile of numbers that just adds meaningless power to characters that necessitate every new bit of content also having higher numbers. That’s the model a lot of games use, and its boring. “progressing” in to +400 more DPS only to fight enemies with 400 DPS more damage mitigation doesn’t add anything to gameplay. It just adds bigger number to combat logs.

Playing Dialbo 3 with more paragon levels doesn’t appreciabley add anything to gameplay. You just stack bigger numbers so you can fight enemies with bigger numbers, but its still the same repetitive content.

While not every mastry is amazing, Mastries are meaningful progression that actually adds new functionality to the character by accessing new content or new methods to interact with old content. That’s a lot more fun than 2% more armor or 5% more crit chance.

no… masteries are acount progression character progression is something i have personal to my each and every character. Something that i can do on one and i have for all is acount progression hence not character progression.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I saw a post in the WvW forum mentioning Vet levels or similar along with a bunch of other stuff about WvW, but it was taken down within a couple of hours of posting. I don’t know if I would put much stock in it unless you see something official (an ANet blog on their game site, or interview with someone known to be on the ANet team).

I know the thread you’re talking about. I posted in it but it seems to no longer exist.

It was a “leak” thread, but it was pretty obvious the whole thing was a joke. It started off by saying Richard Simmons had revealed the information and the OP didn’t even post a single link to show where the information came from. I had made a joke about Charr sweating to the oldies in SMC smelling worse than they already do. It does seem like the thread is completely gone now, and my forum profile doesn’t have my post listed. (no message from a mod either)

For the love of Balthazar, please don’t go looking for leaks. If you do come across any, don’t believe a single thing unless ArenaNet has made an official announcement. You don’t want to get yourself all excited only to find something in a leak isn’t actually going to happen.

It’s really getting annoying now that, along with what seemed like a real leak, we have obvious fake leaks popping up left and right. And people are getting excited because they’re stupid and believe everything they hear or read on the internet. Anyone who gets mad because something in a leak never makes it into the game only has their self to blame.

Again, don’t believe anything unless ArenaNet has made an official announcement.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

But that’s exactly what it does?

I don’t get the criticism. It effectively allows you to keep collecting XP and “skill points” (mastery points, but same acquisition, from the map) to “level up”, gaining new powers in the process.

Factually no different to gaining levels in 1-80, tbh.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

no… masteries are acount progression character progression is something i have personal to my each and every character. Something that i can do on one and i have for all is acount progression hence not character progression.

This is absolutely a fair criticism of the system and one I personally agree with. However, the team moved a LOT of stuff to “account bound” to quell the “BUT I HAVE 42 ALTS crowd”

You know, the same crowd that still complains heavily that they actually have to play their alts to get hero points in order to progress those alts.

Personally I’d be fine with mastries being a character rather than an account system, and functionally they serve that role. They just happen to more directly buff alts than some of the other built in twinking methods (for instance, ascended drops from fractals making it far easier to gear out alts)

I doubt they’d about face on it at this point, and from the lens of a guy that basically doesn’t play alts (other than to abuse them for resource gathering or the rare instance of needing something “meta”) they do the job pretty well though.

And really, lets face facts here, the question of alts is really the only place that matters, and its a basic fact that having an existing and established character in every system short circuits progression in any sort of character progression system. In Diablo your higher level guy is often providing loot or currency to the lower level one. This just sort of streamlines that interaction. I don’t think that alone is enough to break the system or invalidate it any more than actually having alts benefit from a “main” does in any other respect.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

You wrote “three” and “two” accidentally, instead of 2 and 1.

Only two classes regularly use their non-elite spec, and even for those it’s a very specialized thing just that the use case is more common, narrow as it is.

Elite specs are a ginormous power creep compared to base classes. Base classes are factually outdated now.

No, I did not “accidentally” write those numbers, I quite deliberately wrote those numbers.

Aside from the fact that your two following statements are contradictory (“two classes regularly use their non-elite spec”, and “base classes are factually outdated now”), your considering them “outdated” does not mean they do not exist, simply that they are not what you choose to use.

Which is fine, you are welcome to your choice of builds, etc, but please, don’t try and insinuate that I somehow misspoke in support of your thesis.