End of Lunar Festival tomorrow?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m sure I’d seen the date somewhere but I can’t find it.

Does the festival end tomorrow?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was told it would be 2 weeks, but I think that was based entirely on the fact that it was 2 weeks last year. I don’t think Anet have told us.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Well, the actual Lunar New Year in our own boring old planet earth was on Saturday 2 days ago, so… yeah… maybe.

I hope it’s another week, I like free gold and quick dailies.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Maybe ANet is going for the full 20 days.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Well, the actual Lunar New Year in our own boring old planet earth was on Saturday 2 days ago, so… yeah… maybe.

I hope it’s another week, I like free gold and quick dailies.

Yes, when gathering is actually one of the longer dailies on the path to get 2 gold …

It has been nice doing all of my daily stuff (dailies, ember bay, bitterfrost frontier, home instance, guildhall) in an hour.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Last two times it was two weeks. But ANet likes the flexibility of festival end dates it seems to cover slippage in schedule. PvP season 5 ends Feb 6th so maybe then?

Makes me wonder if Mike’s announcement of the next LWS3 episode will definitely be in February is preemptive reassurance because of a schedule slip? Pure speculation on my part for sure.

On the other hand Mike has been giving us a heads-up on changes that affect gameplay for previous updates. Haven’t bothered seeing how many days/weeks he gives us on average.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For what it’s worth, the ‘promotions’ tab of the BLTC shows all of the “seasonal” items expiring by ~this time tomorrow (i.e. approx 9 am Pacific, 17:00 UTC). Often, removal of such items coincides with a game update (although sometimes it’s only that the gem shop is about to offer newer seasonal items in their place).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

During Wintersday it was announced we would be getting end dates for future festivals, which they did for Wintersday after years of us asking. For some reason, they immediately dropped that idea again.

I really don’t understand why they don’t put an end date either in patch notes or on the release page for these things anymore (although last I lokked, Lunar wasn’t even on the release page!).

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I really don’t understand why they don’t put an end date either in patch notes or on the release page for these things anymore (although last I lokked, Lunar wasn’t even on the release page!).

Last time they added something on the release page it was Wintersday and it had a wrong end date :P

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There’s this post that someone referenced from the patch notes although I couldn’t find the exact wording.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2wfe8z/when_is_the_lunar_new_year_event_end/coqaphq/

Randulf.7614

There’s this post that someone referenced from the patch notes although I couldn’t find the exact wording.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2wfe8z/when_is_the_lunar_new_year_event_end/coqaphq/

Yeah, I read the patch notes and that quote isn’t in it

Illconceived Was Na.9781

During Wintersday it was announced we would be getting end dates for future festivals, which they did for Wintersday after years of us asking. For some reason, they immediately dropped that idea again.

You misunderstood. Gaile gave us an end date for Wintersday and agreed it was a good idea to give end dates with the start dates. She also pointed out that there are always going to be other factors and that sometimes, they won’t be able to give an end date because of that.

I do wish they would at least say things like, “while we can’t state the end date yet (it’s bundled with some other changes which are still in QA), we can tell you it will last at least until [insert earliest date]”. That would allow folks to do some planning.

Randulf.7614

Which is fair enough, although the exatc words were;

" I agree with everyone who expressed opinions in the past that it’s very helpful to know the extent of a festival, and it’s my belief we’ll be more forthcoming about end dates in the future"

It seems reasonable to conclude lunar would fall under that imo.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Behellagh.1468

Which is fair enough, although the exatc words were;

" I agree with everyone who expressed opinions in the past that it’s very helpful to know the extent of a festival, and it’s my belief we’ll be more forthcoming about end dates in the future"

It seems reasonable to conclude lunar would fall under that imo.

That’s a “good idea, maybe we should do this in the future” than a promise.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Griz.4102

Griz.4102

Can we please get an official answer to the OP’s question? Thanks!

Fenthir of Blackgate

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

Q_Q I don’t know when it ends.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

It did not end today, which was tomorrow. There’s your official answer.

Ayrilana.1396

It did not end today, which was tomorrow. There’s your official answer.

But could it end the day before the day after tomorrow?

DoctorDing.5890

Today, which is the tomorrow I referred to, is not yet done. Likely patch in about 10 hours time. And don’t even ask about yesterday. All my troubles seemed so far away.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Today, which is the tomorrow I referred to, is not yet done. Likely patch in about 10 hours time. And don’t even ask about yesterday. All my troubles seemed so far away.

At long as you’re not singing any silly little love songs, you’re probably okay.

On topic: regardless of what happens tomorrow, I’m sympathetic to ANet wanting to avoid saying the exact end date for festivals, due to other things on the schedule that influence updates. I do not, however, understand why that means that they can’t at least say, “it won’t end this Tuesday” — that gives us something to work with and leaves them flexibility. (Surely, they know by Friday if there’s any chance of a “scheduled update” on Tuesday.)

Behellagh.1468

Well next episode is dropping next week along with the next raid (announcement on MassivelyOP). So no later than that.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

But it’s a festival, they’re on a schedule and “turning it off” should be routine and certainly independent of other updates (it’s not like they are going to release ep4 today, for example). If something goes wrong then tell us “hey, lunar new year will run for another few days, we’ve had technical issues” I don’t think there’ll be many pitchforks over that. Beyond the people who act personally affronted by the fact that anything happens (or didn’t happen) and it’s time to stop tip toeing around those people.

DoctorDing.5890

I genuinely thought they had announced the end date at the start but I might be confusing it with Wintersday.

I’m sure they will know how long they intend to run each festival for and that only an absolute show-stopper of a problem will change it.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Well… maybe we have another tomorrow until February 7th?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

We’ll have some info on that in a few hours.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Ayrilana.1396

I actually wouldn’t mind it going for another week as those lunar envelopes have been very profitable for really no effort other than just running to the vendor and back.

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

We’ll have some info on that in a few hours.

Thanks for the heads up, will keep my ears open.