Endgame = gem store?

Endgame = gem store?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

Anyone else feels like this?
Im not big RP nerd and gw2 isnt known for its great immersion, but seriously selling dungeon gear on gem store is lame.
They said endgame will be not about chasing stats but chasing cool skins, its more like chasing gold to buy the skins.°
How many new armor sets have been introduced since release via content? I dont mean weapons or back items, but full armors like those in gem store.

(edited by Leeto.1570)

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Are they selling dungeon gear in the store now?
Must have missed that. Feel free to link said dungeon armor being sold, otherwise people are just going to assume you are making stuff up.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

No their selling gem store gear in gem store ofcourse.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

They said endgame will be not about chasing stats but chasing cool skins, its more like chasing gold to buy the skins.°

.. and/or just chasing the gold to buy transmute crystals because RNG refuses to come good.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

No their selling gem store gear in gem store ofcourse.

In your original post you said: “but seriously selling dungeon gear on gem store is lame.” which would imply that there are dungeon gear on the gem store, thus my question.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

Tower of Nightmare:
How it should be: You have chance to get tokens for shoulders and gloves in 3 levels from events and low drop chance from mobs. End dungeon drops tokens for weps.
Reality: Theres huge tower with almost no new rewards that noone is interested in doing after 3-4 days, and you just buy skins from gemshop.

But seriously im not PVEr so can anyone answer my question? How many new armor sets are there introduced since release that you can earn from doing PVE? On gem shop i see at least 10+ sets

(edited by Leeto.1570)

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

And how do you suggest they earn money if they are giving everything for free in the game?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

And how do you suggest they earn money if they are giving everything for free in the game?

town clothes

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

Armor skins isnt only thing on gem shop, provide more services. Ofcourse nothing will earn them as much as selling only reward there is in this game aka looks, but still.

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

Armor skins isnt only thing on gem shop, provide more services. Ofcourse nothing will earn them as much as selling only reward there is in this game aka looks, but still.

No, they are not the only things in the gem-store. But based on the amount of them added I would say it is a safe bet that they make up a rather large amount of the sales.

We have gotten skins in the game (with most of the updates no less) as well, but people seems to overlook that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

No, they are not the only things in the gem-store. But based on the amount of them added I would say it is a safe bet that they make up a rather large amount of the sales.

We have gotten skins in the game (with most of the updates no less) as well, but people seems to overlook that.

Thats why im asking, im using t3 + cof gear, what can you suggest me to refresh my look? Cause my current armor has been in game since release.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“They said endgame will be not about chasing stats but chasing cool skins, its more like chasing gold to buy the skins.°”

I feel like this is true. At least for me. I am chasing gold to buy gem store items and or buy off the TP. I am not chasing items in the game itself.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

The game is living well off the gem store. So much so that they aren’t currently considering an expansion.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

The end game is about ending the game: quit it before you get too attached!

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

town clothes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, and they should make like, idk, tonics the end reward for FotM. That would be hilarious.

….oh wait a minute.

@Kopper.

I’m not sure what they can do about it. There’s plenty of cool skins you can get for dungeon tokens, but they;re too easy, and since a part of having a skin is the prestige of it being a rare and expensive skin, people don’t like those.

Personally, I think they should introduce more stuff like the Ascended backpieces (w/o the stats upgrade of course) which takes ages to acquire but its in no way related to RNG. Apparently people hate that though.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I do get the feeling a lot of things inside the gemstore should’ve been rewards ingame.

For example, sometimes like Tower of Nightmares could’ve been a permanent dungeon, and we should’ve been able to get tokens from the Tri-Key Chest. We could’ve exchanged those tokens for the new armor pieces and Dreamthistle weapons, and just like that we have a great addition to the other 8 dungeons in the game, with tons of reason to go back, and a unique twist of being open-world.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

The services they had at start are more than enough if the game is interesting enough to keep playing it. Instead of putting an armor in the gemstore that will be bought by a minority, they could place it in as ingame reward and promote the use of transmutations… like fractal weap skins that cant be used without a stone. Imagine how many skins would you have already if every armor was part of an ingame reward instead of a pay to use. More players will be willing to use if it means that you did content to get instead of just cash it. Having a locker for skins (that would require a transmutation stone each time you want to change) will let players accumulate skins and transmute to what they want without the fear of loosing the previous skin and if they ever wants to go back, they will need to use another stone.

Implement more services, leveling scrolls, player housing (why not? add cool things to your home, things you can enjoy with friends like the minigames, but your own, a bar with the toast minigame included comes to my mind, they have a whole team to come up with ideas).

There are many things they can provide that are not lame skins.

Delaying the release of new content in the game to add some cliche skins that obviously doesn’t have much work on is bad for the game. It can be more profitable in a short therm but it reduces the amount of content that we have available in the world on the long term. Put more effort in content than in the gemstore and you will have a larger world with more players (because you know, the game is better) and the gemstore will be used anyway.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

Im totally fine if theres some armor sets in gem store, like at start there was three, it was cool cause game was just released and those were like sets from gw1, but now instead of releasing like 3 unique dungeon sets and 1 gem store set its like 3 gem store sets and 1 unique dungeon item. (im prolly again just talking here about tower)

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

As long s the gemstore remains purely cosmetic I don’t mind.
Of course the RNG boxes should never ever appear again, but as long as it only sells vanity items it’s OK with me.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

They ruined it for me when they introduced the Mad King outfit that was Town Clothes, I guess I understand not wanting a lot of players running around with flaming pumpkins on their heads but just how cool would that have been!

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

gw1 managed to release full expansions of real actual content with box sales alone, why can’t this game?

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Yes. End-game = Gold.

Gold can be converted to Gems, and Gems can be converted to Gold. You need Transmutation Crystals to customize your characters cosmetics. You can also convert Gold to Gems to buy the unique skins they add with each patch. So yes:

Gem-Store = an extension of End-Game.

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

One simple answer to this. They are prob making a killing off the GEM store. Why you keep seeing new skins. Thats the main cash cow for now. Like the crafting tools. We have what 3 different pick axes skins with different effects? Everyone needs to stop buying GEM and they will stop making skins. Simple as that

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

gw1 managed to release full expansions of real actual content with box sales alone, why can’t this game?

GW1 had an in-game store as well, and another thing to keep in mind is that all of those “expansion” (Only one real expansion) were behind a pay-wall.

There is also a massive difference between the teams working on the games in terms of sheer numbers, they currently have 300+ working on GW2 while back during GW1 they never had more than 100 as far as I remember.

The server structure of the two games are also completely different, and this one most likely requires quite a bit more money to keep running than GW1 ever did.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

For me end game is spvp and wvw because those achievements are almost impossible to get!

R.I.P Kumu <3

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Endgame is Ascended gear. They aren’t selling that in the shop so what’s the problem exactly?

I like that they sell skins in the shop. For the longest time they kept putting silly town clothes, which I have zero interest in. They are finally giving us skins, so I’m happy. Though I am not happy about them selling reskinned armor. That’s kind of lame.

I do agree that they need to put more new skins in the actual game. Either through karma, crafting, or world drops.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

A-net is entitled to fairly make a honest income. They are offering skins..not forcing you to buy skins. No one is asking you to take your credit card out. You can use virtual currency, you can skip them altogether or purchase them with real world money.

I personally enjoy the content of gw2 and did use some real world money to get me started. After that i then just effectively made money doing things that gw2 offered me (Dungeons-AP chests-increasing magic find-fractal income now.) However I wouldn’t hesitate to throw them a few more real world money bills if they offered something that I genuinely thought was good work and worth purchasing. A lot the skins they have offered didn’t interest me, but to those it did and they didn’t want to use real world money are now invested earning virtual money for gems which keeps them engaged long enough until the next offer is made. That is entirely fair. Even the recall of human t3 flamekissed armor is fair. They have offered refunds and remunerations. There is nothing unethical about the gemstore and how a-net runs it.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: ozma.3498

ozma.3498

To be fair, you have to expect some degree of paying for cool stuff in a free to play game. At least it’s only skins and nothing with stats on it.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The endgame has always been through the gem store. Why else do you think the only armor we’ve gotten has been in the gem store? Profit, obviously. If they released ANY armor without using the gem store, they’d lose profit. It’s annoying that the only armor that’s released is through the gem store. Since endgame revolves around cosmetics, and full armor sets are strictly released through the gem store, it’s safe to say that th endgame is the gem store.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

Sell substantial content updates. But that would require putting actual work into designing well thought out content.

It’s way easier and cheaper to just make a single skin or two and then put it up for $10.00 per outfit rather than having to make an entire story with all new artwork, voicework, mapping, etc. for $10-15.

Anet is looking for maximum profit for minimal to no effort. You can see this with something so basic as needing to use dollars to buy another character slot, buy more inventory or warehouse space, etc.

If endgame was supposed to be about getting new skins and not stats, then why is it that we don’t have a vanity slot and instead need to give Anet dollars in exchange for to make one single item for another? If they were good game designers who appreciated their customers they would stop gauging us like this. No one in the Anet staff has to actually do anything when you use a transmute stone, so why do we have to pay for it? Why even make it use up a transmutation stone?

Anet only deserves money equal to the effort they put into getting that money, just like the rest of us have to do.

Think about it this way, Anet first told you that the entire base GW2 game only costs $60, including multiple dungeons, many enemies, many areas, many weapon and armor skins. And now they are telling you that somehow one new armor skin costs 1/6 the price of the full game? No one is going to believe that lie.

Given the incredibly low quality of the living world updates I don’t think anyone would be sad to see it go in return for well designed and substantial content released less frequently even if that content had a cost attached to it.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I still don’t get it…

Are they selling dungeon gear? If so I’m ready to buy an Arah set lol

Maybe you confused it with something else….

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Brindled.2179

Brindled.2179

I think the game and the state its in is more appealing to new players, which also equates more profits. Anyone entering the game currently is more than likely overwhelmed with the content, as was I when I started last xmas.

And while some of the changes to the game (teq specifically) are not appealing to me, I feel the amount of content that I originally paid for has been quite substantial.

In my opinion, I think that many people expect this game to keep giving way more than it should. With that said, I think they shouldn’t tinker with original content and only add on top of it. That’s been my only gripe with the game’s development or the endgame content.

Endgame = gem store?

Leeto.1570

Sell substantial content updates. But that would require putting actual work into designing well thought out content.

It’s way easier and cheaper to just make a single skin or two and then put it up for $10.00 per outfit rather than having to make an entire story with all new artwork, voicework, mapping, etc. for $10-15.

Anet is looking for maximum profit for minimal to no effort. You can see this with something so basic as needing to use dollars to buy another character slot, buy more inventory or warehouse space, etc.

If endgame was supposed to be about getting new skins and not stats, then why is it that we don’t have a vanity slot and instead need to give Anet dollars in exchange for to make one single item for another? If they were good game designers who appreciated their customers they would stop gauging us like this. No one in the Anet staff has to actually do anything when you use a transmute stone, so why do we have to pay for it? Why even make it use up a transmutation stone?

Anet only deserves money equal to the effort they put into getting that money, just like the rest of us have to do.

Think about it this way, Anet first told you that the entire base GW2 game only costs $60, including multiple dungeons, many enemies, many areas, many weapon and armor skins. And now they are telling you that somehow one new armor skin costs 1/6 the price of the full game? No one is going to believe that lie.

Given the incredibly low quality of the living world updates I don’t think anyone would be sad to see it go in return for well designed and substantial content released less frequently even if that content had a cost attached to it.

Yup this pretty much sums it up imo, if they would give us alternative armor that we can earn by doing content then probobly their skin sells would drop, so they just give us no choice, if you want some armor that hasnt been around since release then buy it on gem shop.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It’s pretty clear that, just like “Exotics are top tier.” has gone by the wayside, “Endgame is about cosmetics” is also a thing of the past. There’s been no statement to this effect, but the writing is on the wall. The only cosmetic endgame is what was available at launch, plus the back-item-of-the-update. The “new” endgame? Living World achievements and Ascended chase. Soon to be followed by infusion chase and skill chase in dribs and drabs (one new skill since the July blog).

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

I agree OP I wrote another topic about how I felt GW2 was becoming P2Win and was ripped to shred’s. What you posted is pretty much what I meant. The end game is about getting awesome skin’s. Regardless of how you spin it you gotta hit up the TP for either stones or armor or maybe both.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Enzo.2104

Enzo.2104

Anet have crazy price policy.

For one stat booster want 150gem = cca. 15gold, LOL.
Logging axe for 1000gem (before want only 600gem) = more than 85gold. We can buy more than 2100 Ori axe (this amount is enugh for 2-3 years). For 1000g only moron buy this.
Trait reset for 125gem??? Really want 10g for 1 reset?
One chest key 125gem? Ok, but than give more than 0,001% chance to get some usefull!!!

Wake-up Anet., thanks.

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

Anet have crazy price policy.

For one stat booster want 150gem = cca. 15gold, LOL.
Logging axe for 1000gem (before want only 600gem) = more than 85gold. We can buy more than 2100 Ori axe (this amount is enugh for 2-3 years). For 1000g only moron buy this.
Trait reset for 125gem??? Really want 10g for 1 reset?
One chest key 125gem? Ok, but than give more than 0,001% chance to get some usefull!!!

Wake-up Anet., thanks.

First of all. The prices in gems doesn’t give a kitten about the current gold to gem transfer rate, and it never should.
Gold to gem is a bonus, it is not something that they even needed to add to the game.
They want people to buy gems with real money after all, and thus prices will always be based around real money “value” of gems, not gold value.

And no, the crafting tools were never 600. They were 800 back when they were soulbound however. But then again, anyone buying a permanent crafting tool to save money are stupid.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

End game in GW2 is different to everyone.
For me is to lvl up all classes like i did in GW1.

To do Dungeons, Fractals, spvp, wvw just for fun.
Dont see point of any of this doom days topic at all.
Whic game offer FREE update with a lot of fun for free every two weeks?

After games for me are just for FUN when i BK from work.
Still after many years Anet is doing great!
With every update they suprise me more and more! <3

Edit:
Lets just look at Blizz, they will sell new models as feature of EXP, they been HUGE req since TBC exp…
On other hand look what Anet offer for free every 2 weeks?

Can You Keep a Secret?

(edited by Levian.7683)

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Enzo.2104

Enzo.2104

Ok than delete gold to gem exchange or dont manipulate with rate.

And every game offer free updates. GW2 was beta-released game and now i must be happy with “new” content? When Anet make something big so it certainly will not be free but release in a new DVD.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

The end game is standing AFK in LA looking pretty.

Endgame = gem store?

Posted by: Levian.7683

Levian.7683

And every game offer free updates. GW2 was beta-released game and now i must be happy with “new” content? When Anet make something big so it certainly will not be free but release in a new DVD.

Ppl in Anet can live from AIR?
With my 59€ invest i’m more then happy what i get from this game.

Every game gets free update but how offen they get and how large?

Can You Keep a Secret?

Endgame = gem store?

lordkrall.7241

Yes, in my eyes they could remove the ability to trade gold for gems. If only to get rid of these weekly posts about how everything in the gemstore is too expensive with connection to gold.
Who is manipulating the rate? It is supply and demand, thats how it works. If more people want gems but don’t want to pay with real money the price will increase.
And since more and more gold is added into the game the price will also increase since the gold loses value.

True, every game offers free updates, but how often and how big?
I have yet to see a single other game that offers these amounts of updates for free. GW2 had a very smooth launch comparing to the general release state of MMOs, sure some things didn’t work as intended, but that is always the case. Why else do you think every single game gets patched rather soon after release?

Why assume that? They have already made it clear that if it works well with the Living World updates they might never release a paid expansion, but rather just release it via said updates. And it seems like they ARE earning more than enough money on the gemstore to actually keep it floating and releasing content for free.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square