Endless Miniature Tonic Topic

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Hello all, apologies in advance if this has been covered somewhere down the line, but I am curious regarding the recently added Endless Miniature Tonic.

In the Nightmare Fractal, for example, does the tonic reduce your hitbox and make it easier to dodge the bullethell orbs seen throughout the instance?

I’ve also noticed when using the Sigil of Geomancy on Condi builds (aoe bleeding on nearby foes when weapon swapped in combat), that the animation of the ring is smaller also. Similar to above with hitboxes, does it reduce the radius by any amount MORE than just visually?
I presume not, but it’s worth checking just in case anyone has any information that’s not on the Wiki.

P.S. I hope they fix the bug with Warrior’s Rampage skill reverting the tonic.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Similar to the bobble-head transform, shrinking is only visual. It doesn’t let you sneak into smaller spaces, either. Your hit-box remains the same.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As far as I know all characters have the same size/shape hitbox and there is no way to change it.

Tonics, outfits, race etc. is purely visual.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

As far as I know all characters have the same size/shape hitbox and there is no way to change it.

Tonics, outfits, race etc. is purely visual.

What she said.

I remember they specified this either before launch or early after in regard to pvp/wvw. There is no benefit to playing a Asura over a Norn for example, as they will have the same “hit boxes” and all things related to size. No matter the size of their actual animation.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

The reason for the confusion is that when GW2 was released, the hitboxes were in fact different sizes (bug with Asura having smaller range on PBAoE (Symbols) was the most noticeable) including pathing from straight line of sight was different.

That was fixed in 2013? (it existed for months) and every character has the same dimensions now regardless of actual appearance size (think of it as the invisible skin).

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Back in the day, like 2002 in very early internal testing, the hit box was not standard, and one of our clever programmers made all sorts of tiny characters to enable him to avoid getting hit.

I do wonder if certain races actually do have greater agility for jumping puzzles. I’ve had people say “Make a norn, they have a better gait” where others have said, “My asura is way better at JPs than any of my other characters” and everything in between. Think there’s any truth in that?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Flurry of dancing flames.9830

Thanks for the responses everyone, cleared up a lot for me. ’Ppreciate that!

In regards to the JPs at least, I did most of them on my main character at the time, a Charr. At first, I found it really difficult to gauge where he’d land, but then you get used to it.
Many like Asura from what I’ve heard, and I do too, simply because their jumps are more accentuated and it’s easier to tell where they’re going to land. Humans are probably very reliable as well.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I do wonder if certain races actually do have greater agility for jumping puzzles. I’ve had people say “Make a norn, they have a better gait” where others have said, “My asura is way better at JPs than any of my other characters” and everything in between. Think there’s any truth in that?

For me, this is a “horses for courses” situation. Some jumps are far easier on a norn because I can see where I’m going; some JPs are easier with an asura because the camera doesn’t go completely crazy in a cave. As Alfred Lord Tennyson never wrote, “better to have jumped while short than never to have jumped while tall.”

Probably the best bet is a norn with the miniature tonic.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

Back in the day, like 2002 in very early internal testing, the hit box was not standard, and one of our clever programmers made all sorts of tiny characters to enable him to avoid getting hit.

For me, Asura is best for any JPs because it is a smaller size and therefore doesn’t interfere with my sight lines or camera as much. Trying JPs with a norn is awful, specifically in anything with a low ceiling because it screws with the camera

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I personally think that smaller characters make the best JP characters. I love the asura animations, but I still think that a minimum height sylvari is just about the perfect size to do JP. Its small enough to not have you fighting the camera too much, and still allows you to clearly gauge the edge of your hitbox and know when you’re about to fall off a platform.

joneirikb.7506

Small characters is a boon in most cramped JP’s, and the Mini tonic is a blessing for us Norn players. Just wish it came a few years earlier, back when I completed all those JP’s on my big fat norn!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Small characters is a boon in most cramped JP’s, and the Mini tonic is a blessing for us Norn players. Just wish it came a few years earlier, back when I completed all those JP’s on my big fat norn!

Aw yes, but you can look back with pride on that time, and in fact, someday you can drive your grandchildren crazy, with talk like, “Bah! Back in the day we did real JPs with real skills. None of that fancy tonic stuff for us!”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

joneirikb.7506

Aw yes, but you can look back with pride on that time, and in fact, someday you can drive your grandchildren crazy, with talk like, “Bah! Back in the day we did real JPs with real skills. None of that fancy tonic stuff for us!”

I’m going to be too busy talking about “That time Gaile double posted on the forums! Hah! n00b!”

On the positive side, by then I’ll be able to dual wield longbows, so I can use them as crutches.

Topic: So far liked the new tonics added to the game, the mini one helps a lot on JP’s and a few other spots around in the world. And the Kodan was really nice, since we’re not going to see them as a new race. Hoping ANet keeps making some new ones, like Tengu, Largos (for all the Drizzt fanboys *sigh), and Risen (so we can hide in Orr).

Personal favorite would be as the Veteran Sentry guard in WvW…. but I can definitively see how that would be way too trolly!

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

I’d sure like to use this tonic in wvw. And because you can’t only makes me think that maybe it does make the hitbox smaller.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

I’d sure like to use this tonic in wvw. And because you can’t only makes me think that maybe it does make the hitbox smaller.

No. The tonic is disabled in WvW because people could hide the real strength of their zerg.
Imagine a group of 10 big Charr and Norn. Usually not that threatening if you have an average zerg.
Now with the tonic they could be accompanied by 20 additional players all hiding between their feet, being almost invisible.

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

I can tell you one thing. Charr are slightly at a disadvantage on jp.
Not because size but their jump hight when not on 2 legs.

You see when a charr is out of combat, they run on 4 paws. But their jump hight is lower then.
If you don’t know this, jumping certain jp’s can be impossible untill somebody tells you or you start firing fireballs in fustration.
When you have activated any skill, your charr reverts to moving on 2 paws. And then he gets the same jump hight as any other character.

This has been an issue since launch btw.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

(edited by DBZVelena.5186)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’ve found the tonic to be great fun, and I hope that the next area has a similar tonic to make you larger.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

I’ve found the tonic to be great fun, and I hope that the next area has a similar tonic to make you larger.

So much yes! A Megature-tonic is on top of my list of wants. So far this has had to suffice, but the duration is so short :’(

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I love the tonic, but my only complaint is that my reaper shouts no longer have audio. I was hoping to hear her squeak “You’re all weaklings!” in tiny tonic voice. You managed to miniaturize the other noises, like cheering and laughing.

I guess tiny maniacal laughter will have to do.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m the weird one who prefers to jump on a norn. The height and distance they can jump, relatively to their body size, is much closer to what I can do in real life so I find it easier to judge whether I can make a jump. Asura’s animations throw me off – they look like they’re really going for it, sprinting forward and hurling themselves into the air – so even though they’re smaller I expect them to go further…and then remember it doesn’t work that way as my poor character plummets to their death.

Although I mostly do jumping puzzles impulsively when I find myself going past, or when I thought I was just poking around a cave and realise I’m halfway through one. So I will do them on all 5 races and can complete it on any of them, I just have to shift my thinking into the right mode and that doesn’t always happen until after falling to my death a few times.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

if there is, its miniscule.

However asura jumping is extremely impressive ( since they can jump roughly the same height/distance as a norn) relative to their size.

I panic thinking my asurans aren’t going to make a jump that is above head height, but they do.

The only way I’d know for sure is to use GH decorations, and set things on the absolute height & distance limits of one race, and test the jumps on another race.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment