Enemy Healthbars need to be quartered.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

So you can see when the bosses hit 75, 50, and 25%.

Dunno why this isn’t a thing already…

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

(edited by Scootabuser.4915)

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Just a percentage counter would be nice I guess, but since most of the bosses don’t have phases like in some other games it’s not really a huge issue, at least not with anything that I’ve run into yet.

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

Just a percentage counter would be nice I guess, but since most of the bosses don’t have phases like in some other games it’s not really a huge issue, at least not with anything that I’ve run into yet.

Except there are a lot of traits that change at those %s so

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I for one don’t understand why we can’t get numerical hp readings, myself. Would make life a lot easier

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

I for one don’t understand why we can’t get numerical hp readings, myself. Would make life a lot easier

It’s too confusing.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think it’s fascinating that there are evidently people who aren’t neurologically wired to spot “half” and “half of a half” by eyeballing it. That kind of visual approximation would seem like sort of a critical life skill to me.

So how many of these division do we really need/want? Some flags also flip at 90% and 33%…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t know. I’ve gotten by fine by just learning what 75, 50, and 25 look like (give or take a percentage).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Enough bosses do change their behavior at various breakpoints, so it would be really helpful if we knew when that was… especially since sometimes 50% and 50% + 100 are indistinguishable.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

IDK, maybe because it’s just too good of an idea and they wanna save it for a fun, big QOL patch announcement. They need lotsa exciting notes to release one day at a time on it’s countdown.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I believe the lack of divisions or numbers on health bars serves two purposes: primarily, it’s part of the, “We want people watching the world and creatures, not the UI.” A secondary benefit is that we don’t know exactly how big the huge sacks of health on some mobs are.

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

Actually that would be something they could work with. Add markers of some kind, and then for some really nasty bosses just blank out the health bar altogether.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The Champion Svanir Marauder at Svanir’s Dome in Wayfarer Foothills speaks when he’s at 75%, 50% and 25% health. I never payed close enough attention elsewhere to see if other champs have similar tells.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The Champion Svanir Marauder at Svanir’s Dome in Wayfarer Foothills speaks when he’s at 75%, 50% and 25% health. I never payed close enough attention elsewhere to see if other champs have similar tells.

Priestess of Lyssa during the temple event and Rhendak seems to as well. Pretty sure there are others. I don’t think any of the dungeon bosses do it.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

I think it’s fascinating that there are evidently people who aren’t neurologically wired to spot “half” and “half of a half” by eyeballing it. That kind of visual approximation would seem like sort of a critical life skill to me.

So how many of these division do we really need/want? Some flags also flip at 90% and 33%…

Not all of us can tell the difference between 50% and 51% like you.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Thats a good idea and i think this should count for all Health Bars in General, for example also too WvW Gates/Walls

Shouldnt be hard to implement this little QoL as optical imprvement to the current Health Bar System to add there some kind of barely visible markers, that let you on one view know, how much percent health somethign still has, without that the game needs to show you also a number with % directly.
To know when a quarter of health has been removed, imo would be already good enough as info. T get to see always the absolute exact percent number is imo not neccessary, because in the end it cares absolutely nobody about it, if a wall for example has not 50% or 51% health left.
People will call others anyway, that basically 50% are left over in chat, because peopel interests it only, what roughly is left, because thats the way how we all handled it so far from release of this game on anyways.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Nike.2631

I suggest switching to decaff if you think ANYTHING in this game is so tough that you need to change up your rotation 1/8th of a second after it becomes extra vulnerable to Heartseeker…

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

I suggest switching to decaff if you think ANYTHING in this game is so tough that you need to change up your rotation 1/8th of a second after it becomes extra vulnerable to Heartseeker…

Yeah sure let’s just all go ahead and tell other people how they should enjoy the game.

Nike.2631

No, lets tell them that while there are a couple of ways functionality could be added (like an optional check box to display a simple percentage in the center of the bar) cluttering up the display for everyone is an idea that can go die in a fire at the bottom of a well. And there’s no worse clutter that markers for things that don’t matter except in a few corner cases. Most creatures don’t have phases and most skills don’t care in the slightest what the target’s HP are at.

GW2 to is at heart a casual game and the minimalist UI reflects that. That’s not an accident and its actually harder to pull off than to flag every nitpicking detail every second.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You would be attacking a boss and it would be something like 8599/10000, then people would join and it’d be 11179/13000, and more people would join, etc.

At least you’d easily be able to tell what the scale was.

Most games keep the actual number hidden. It’s not something you need to know and it adds a bit of difficulty (ie, spike the lowest health target, ignore the highest health).

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Because the numbers change as the event scale in relation to the people participating.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I believe the lack of divisions or numbers on health bars serves two purposes: primarily, it’s part of the, “We want people watching the world and creatures, not the UI.” A secondary benefit is that we don’t know exactly how big the huge sacks of health on some mobs are.

I would agree, if the thing was a minimal line near the edge of the screen. But it comes with a massive portrait and is the primary place for spotting special mechanics (never mind boon/condition status).

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Is there anyway to hide the health bar? without hiding all the UI?

I find it more annoyed that it is blocking the enemy animation sometimes.

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

Those markers would be a good idea. Becasue health % determines both the effectiveness of certain attacks and traits plus AI attack behaviour. I want to be able to see the difference between e.g. 53% and 48% health reliably and accurately.

Anet created this need when they tied loads of traits to health %. Infact, instead of havimg set markers, they should just have the percentage written in the hp bar. Removes the need for any estimating.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Reading the title I thought you ment something different, I guess I’ve been in Hitpoints of the waves to much lately…

After reading what you are suggesting…. +1 for this. It would be great to be able to have it divided like that!

Posted by: Stu Grockalot.2937

Stu Grockalot.2937

I remember GW1 had a handy app called TexMod which was perfect for doing things like that.
Showing my ignorance now, is there anything like that for GW2?

Posted by: piza.9310

piza.9310

hmmm, I don’t think we need a percentage counter. Small dots on top of the health bar or something to get some kind of perspective could lower the difficulty curve.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

This would be nice. Not strictly necessary, but nice.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The Champion Svanir Marauder in Wayfarer Foothills says something when he hits 75/50/25% which I thought was a cute way to signal how much progress you are making.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes