Enemy leashing mechanics are annoying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Only thing that really frustrates me in GW2 is that enemies are leashed a certain distance from their spawn location and when they drop aggro they instantly start regenerating tons of health.

I can think of some solutions that would mitigate this issue.

- Extend the aggro range for any players who attacked the enemy within the past 3 seconds so that the enemy won’t chase other players abnormally far.

- Delay the regeneration until the player stops attacking the enemy, but give the enemy a speed boost and immunity to slows and CC while it attempts to escape. If the player is persistent and chases it all the way back, then it just aggros again, no regen.

- Just reduce the regen rate.

I understand that enemies need to reset if a player runs away but currently it can be very frustrating to try and fight enemies when they can reset on you.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

It kinda clashes with the idea that we have to be mobile in combat. You should be mobile, but not too mobile!

Some thought provoking quote

Khristophoros.7194

Oh also enemies becoming invulnerable when they have no way to attack the player. Also very annoying. This should only apply to certain enemies, not the random easy ones out in the open world.

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

I’ve been posting about this since BWE1, the threads got huge, but sadly it seems that nothing was done about it. It’s an outdated and immersion-breaking mechanic that makes the game world feel artificial and goes completely against the GW2 combat model.

You should be focusing on the actual fight, but instead you have to constantly worry about crossing some unknown and invisible threshold that will make the enemy magically heal back to 100%.

Sometimes that threshold seems to be about 5 mm, because they just heal in place and continue to fight, but that’s just a more obvious case of a fundamentally flawed mechanic that adds nothing to the gameplay.

If you’re not fighting back and are far enough from its “home”, it’s fine for the enemy to decide that you’re not worth the effort and simply walk back to its spawn area. But as long as you’re actively fighting it, it should never reset back to 100% HP. Even if its AI decides to “run away”, you should be able to keep damaging it, as long as you can keep up with it.

- Al Zheimer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Very annoying for a Necromancer.
We kill slow but we are pretty good at kiting mobs due to Cripple and Chill.

I’ve mostly solved that problem by making mobs chase me in circles instead, but there isn’t always enough space to safely do that.

Benight[Edge]

Khristophoros.7194

I’ve mostly solved that problem by making mobs chase me in circles instead, but there isn’t always enough space to safely do that.

I decided to just play Warrior to avoid frustration and level my other characters via crafting.

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

It could be that it prevents people from pulling them to a higher level zone so you are a higher level than them and can kill them easier.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I decided to just play Warrior to avoid frustration and level my other characters via crafting.

I just play ranger and ele and charge into the fray slinging arrows and spells…. Haven’t had many issues, kiting is for the weak!!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

I actually haven’t had any problem with it in the full release. It was however a problem in the beta as you wouldn’t need to move very far for them to run back to their original positions.

Posted by: ChrisP.4386

ChrisP.4386

Oh also enemies becoming invulnerable when they have no way to attack the player. Also very annoying. This should only apply to certain enemies, not the random easy ones out in the open world.

THIS -> Finding a safe spot to snipe from is called tactics.

I think it may apply to a path for melee attacks because things like devourers go invulnerable even tough I could swear they are hitting me with ranged attacks. (Maybe be imagining it though.)

Taking the higher ground to have an advantage over the enemy has been a tactic of warfare since there has been warfare…

Terryn Deathward
Footsteps of War [FoW]
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

This. WoW has that annoying mechanic. If you have the tools and tactical know how you should use it to your advantage, not have things magically go invulnerable (unless it’s a wizard with a temporary invulnerability spell, but that would be legit invulnerability as it would be an ability, and even then ordinary trash mobs shouldn’t have it.

Posted by: Bonzoso.7014

Bonzoso.7014

These mechanics also have a tendency to make certain skills counterproductive. The Mesmer weapon skill (I believe it’s Torch #4) that makes the player disappear in a puff of smoke to blind the enemy and then reappear 3 seconds later with a burn effect often causes the mob to run away and start healing after you disappear.

The game would definitely play better if leash distances were drastically increased and the invulnerability/super-fast regen was removed. Some might argue that long leash distances allow griefers to train other players, but I’m of the opinion that designing a game in an ultra-restrictive way just to protect the community from jerks can end up being a detriment to the game as much as, if not more than, jerks in the community ever could.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

It’s really bad for thieves… As soon as you stealth, mobs start to reset.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Remove the leash and trolls will train kill players left and right.

The invulnerable bit is annoying. Mobs should run away if they can’t hit you.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

yh i agree on that in full. If your attacking a nothing special mob and you are smart enough to choose the high ground then i think you should be able to use that. I understand that it is against exploit play styles but like you said those mobs are nothing special and they shoud be defeatable by being clever and this should not be punished.

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

It’s really bad for thieves… As soon as you stealth, mobs start to reset.

not waiting out the full time of your stealth helps ,the surprise attack still gives you a advantage. i agree tho they should not reset on you that fast.

bwillb.2165

Yeah but as soon as you stealth they start running back to their spawn location which can make positioning a backstab a pain in the kitten :p It’s even worse when i stealth and the mob starts going after some other person who then runs outside of the leash range… bleh.

Posted by: OmegaDestroyer.4782

OmegaDestroyer.4782

I really hate that mechanic. I noticed it when I was above a mook, raining grenades on him, and he was instantly regenerating. Really lame.

(edited by OmegaDestroyer.4782)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I could’ve sworn I remember reading about how if you found a tactical spot to fire from the game wouldn’t punish you for it, along time ago.

Posted by: EnaiSiaion.8072

EnaiSiaion.8072

Never believe pre-release hype.

Posted by: Dragonlord.6748

Dragonlord.6748

Oh please dont get me started on this one.

I had times when I had to literally stand on top of the mob before I could kill it.
And it can happen anywhere, I had it happen in places where there was just a small slope upwards that the mobs could easily go down or around to attack me.

Instead the mob instantly gets invulnerable, and I have to stand right on top of it before I can kill it, which beats the whole purpose of the current combat system.

Posted by: Sciros Darkblade.4028

Sciros Darkblade.4028

I had a thread about this quite recently as well. And since then, as I’ve played more, I have found even more egregious instances of this than those that prompted me to ask about it here in the first place. The worst so far was Risen and Krait that I’ve had to deal with under water. Many “leash” and become invulnerable without even having moved from their original location.

I’m a warrior, and it’s bad enough to make me consider returning to Skyrim for a bit where I am immersed in the game. I can’t imagine how frustrating this must be for players who play professions that can’t hold their ground in combat. This kind of faulty AI should be moved somewhere near the top of the backlog of stuff to fix. It would make the game much more fun if combat worked as freely as the controls allow. At the moment it’s more of a metagame to see if moving a step this way or that way will reset the monster and negate all previous fight progress. And honestly that’s way worse than GW1 combat ever got, let alone proper real-time combat in other games.

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

seems to happen more often underwater and in more drastic fashion. Like last night, doing an underwater event, several mobs spawned literally on top of us. When we brought them down to 20% life, they went invulnerable and regen to full. We couldn’t attack them until they started attacking us. It’s not like we moved anywhere – we were iin melee range fighting at their spawn point.

Soloing a krait, i managed to get it to 10% life in melee before he just suddenly turned and slowly sauntered away, regenning to full while my life was still stuck in combat 30%. i already knew he was going to turn around and 2 shot me so I tried to swim/flee… and you guessed it, he pulled me and 2 shot me.

bwillb.2165

I could’ve sworn I remember reading about how if you found a tactical spot to fire from the game wouldn’t punish you for it, along time ago.

It doesn’t in GW1, does it? I never understood that mechanic. If you’re going to put that kind of restriction in place just don’t even bother having ranged attacks.

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

My main is a Warrior, so you’d think i’d not have this issue, but there has been countless times where i’ve been fighting,dodged out the way,knocked back etc just enough for the mob to turn around and regen full health. Frustrating as hell when it’s a tough mob and i’ve just got him down to less than 10% only for him to turn around and regen.