Engineer Farm in Lake Doric

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Profeus.9034

Profeus.9034

Dear,

I do not believe that the staff will lose this type of farm, easily configurable not only in third party programs, but like even in a mouse like Naga Razer.

I expect some solution so this farm type will not happen any more.

Cya…

Profeus

Attachments:

(edited by Profeus.9034)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Anet wanted to see the community find a way to farm this… Well…

Life… uh… finds a way…

Attachments:

Posted by: thatrobotguy.3690

thatrobotguy.3690

The vast majority of people doing this farm are not botting or macroing it, as it’s so simple and low maintenance you don’t even need to. I’m personally just sitting with this on one screen and a TV show on the other and every 5min replacing turrets manually

(edited by thatrobotguy.3690)

Posted by: fals.9371

fals.9371

I doubt anyone is macroing or botting here. I have a Razer Nostromo, but I’m not programming it to automatically deploy turrets. If you look at the screenshots, you can clearly see we’re setting them up in specific spots.

No macro program can do that because you occasionally get knocked around. If you were on a set path, the turrets would not be deployed in the same locations.

People are also actively chatting and attacking, not just semi-AFKing. I don’t see it any different than zerging around in circles up and down the hill. It is still a zerg, just consists mainly of Engineers and a limited space.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That’s actually kind of awesome.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one that still uses turrets. Good to know that they’re still being put to good use in the game.

PS: This is a zerg, not just one person. It’s just a very well planned and organized zerg that are using their abilities to full benefit. Nothing wrong here.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

This isn’t really an afk farm as much as a coordinated occupation. If one or two (or even probably 4) engineers just popped up turrets and afk’ed they’d get overrun pretty quickly. It’s not like when a lone necromancer sits by itself and just spawns minions and goes to work/sleep/whatever and auto-loots. These people actually need to pay some attention to what they’re doing.

I mean, there is a point in which the farm gets its momentum and a bunch of people can just wander away from their computer if they choose to, but once the rest of the players get bored and leave, that afk engi isn’t farming anymore. He’s getting trampled to death.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Look on the bright side, more players are now playing Engineer. :p

Jokes aside…

Ya I saw that a few days ago. Thought it was a leather run group but when I arrived I see a legion of Engineers with turrets in several spots creating a massive fortress of death.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I saw this for the first time today. I have to wonder, is this more profitable than running up and down the loop?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I saw this for the first time today. I have to wonder, is this more profitable than running up and down the loop?

No. You earn about half what you would.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

That’s what I figured. I guess people got tired of it and created an easy way. I can’t really blame them really.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

That’s what I figured. I guess people got tired of it and created an easy way. I can’t really blame them really.

Actually id argue is just as profitable. I made 31 g just from the t6 leather mi got doing this for about 6hrs this morning. This isnt even including the 4 stacks of heavy supply bags i opened which gave me over 1 stack of t5 leather. its definately arguable once you compare prices of all the leather, as the t1-4 leather is more common from slavging warped hides. Hell i got 989 silk scraps as well.

Posted by: Vajra.3914

Vajra.3914

Well, if they take any action on this, I expect them to take action on Zerg overall.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I have found that the DR kicks in way to fast in Lake Doric for this type of farm to be of any real use, I personally find my drop rates in LD going down to near nothing after about 20-30 mins, I don’t know how some people are saying they farmed it for hours?

I find it strange that some people seem to get loot from 1 map even after farming it for hours, and others get nothing after 20 mins, seems DR doesn’t affect everyone the same.

FrostDraco.8306

I have found that the DR kicks in way to fast in Lake Doric for this type of farm to be of any real use, I personally find my drop rates in LD going down to near nothing after about 20-30 mins, I don’t know how some people are saying they farmed it for hours?

I find it strange that some people seem to get loot from 1 map even after farming it for hours, and others get nothing after 20 mins, seems DR doesn’t affect everyone the same.

Thats simple. Because everyone knows diminishing returns only effect events, not mobs.

Don’t talk about the concept when you don’t appear to understand it fully.

Diminishing returns only applies to events. Not individual mob kills.

Posted by: MrNumnut.2635

MrNumnut.2635

Thats simple. Because everyone knows diminishing returns only effect events, not mobs.

Maybe you should do research yourself.

’’Affected activities

Dungeons, in which the completion rewards for an account are cut severely after the first run for each path.
Open world:
Dynamic events, in which the completion rewards are reduced for a given character after clearing or failing a total of 10 events.
Loot from enemies, in which foes tend to drop less loot of progressively lower quality, for a character remaining in the same area for long periods of time.’’

After a while you get little to no loot from mobs.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It appears you are the one who does not understand it fully.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Diminishing_returns

Incase you do not wish to read it

*Basic mechanics

The more often a character loots from similar foes within an area, the more quickly DR triggers.
Once triggered, the impact of DR will increase until you won’t get any loot at all anymore.*

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Geez… The devs intentionally set up a leather farm spot… It’s not breaking the game, so get over it.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

aint this gonna destroy economy?

action combat made mmos better lol

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

aint this gonna destroy economy?

Nope

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

As someone who has strongly voiced his dislike of afk farming (and nothing has changed in that regard) I see no problem in this. The players here seem to be actively playing the game (if you take everything at value) and doing the leather farm just in a different way then most people. The problem with afk farming is those people either use bots or only check in ounce an hour (hence not ‘active’ in game) so they don’t get kicked to character select. These people are in game and found a unique way to do one of the ‘farms’ in a new way.

While that said I do see why there is backlash on this and tension from others. It is very similar (look wise) to afk farming. Though it is not, people are very weary of this and it’s a very touchy subject to a lot of people who feel cheated by said group (afk farmers) of people. It is exacerbated by the fact anet at least appears to be doing little or nothing to said farmers around the game. Hence the hurt feelings of the player base on the subject.

In conclusion if this is happening with said players active in the game and not using any sort of bots or macro’s to do actions for them. Therefore no rule breaking, I personally have no problem with it. What it comes down to though isn’t me, or anyone else. It’s anet. I’m sure if this becomes a big enough thing they will at least comment on it. Until that said possible time all we can do is fall back on our current knowledge of said rules that have been stated.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People complaining about it should go do it for an hour and see what it is all about. It’s pretty much like standing around in any of the cities chatting with people except you’re also farming at the same time. Compared to how volatile previous group farms have gotten, this is a nice change.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I did have a guildie noting that the engie-farm seems to have replaced running up and down the hill, which frustrated him as he is not an engineer and would like to find a farm group that isn’t all-turrets-all-the-time.

I do not personally know if this is a problem as I seldom join leather runs so I’ve not yet seen the engie-farm in action. But if it freezes out a large number of players from the farm, or somehow blocks hill-run groups from doing their thing, then it could become an issue.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Uh, I don’t see the problem?

I mean you are using your class skills as intended, placing 1-5 turrets around. Is that not how the turret skills work?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I think this at the very edge of being considered actively playing, but it is going to vary from person to person. I can’t agree that someone is active if all they are doing is refreshing a set of turrets every 5 minutes. To me being active is consistently attacking, using skills, and interacting with the game. If you can still for 5 minutes collecting loot without pressing a key, you are not actively playing.

Still, I don’t think this belongs in the same category as botting. And in most instances a ban would be an overreaction. But I don’t see it as something that should be allowed to continue. Don’t punish those doing it, just fix the game to where it’s not a possible/viable thing to do.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Lahemic.6097

Lahemic.6097

Dear,

I do not believe that the staff will lose this type of farm, easily configurable not only in third party programs, but like even in a mouse like Naga Razer.

I expect some solution so this farm type will not happen any more.

Cya…

Profeus

I wonder how long a bloodstone crazed beast would last in all of that.

Help bring Roleplaying in GW2 into the mainstream!
https://tinyurl.com/RoleplayGW2

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

This does not really impact groups going up and down the hill as far as I can see. I was in a group running up and down the hill while the turret farm was going down below. It will impact the amount of enemies that the traveling group will get in the camp at ground level, but that is a minimal part of the route.

It might take a significant chunk of people from the traveling zerg(who switch to the stationary turret farm) but we’ll have to see if that happens. I also imagine that if you get too many players in the turret farm, that it will become significantly less profitable.

As far as being AFK, many of them will actively defend what they’re doing in chat. So at least some of them aren’t AFK. Also, having farmed this area with a small group of players actively playing, I know that this is still a dangerous area. You probably can’t just sit there and expect to stay alive for any length of time.

As far as it being actively playing or not, I can’t say yet. I’m going to see if I can find a group and join in. I would guess it’s more active than Necro berry farming, but I’ll know more later.
<edit, typos>

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)

Elden Arnaas.4870

After 30 minutes, I had 93 heavy supply bags, 51 hooves, and zero hides. I also got maybe one-third the other drops you get while doing the farm “normally”. Someone with me said that he had 7 hides after 45 minutes. I also played “actively” the same as when I’ve been farming that same spot with small groups of “active” players. By the “active” (non-turret)method, I got less heavy supply bags, and a few hides. I also got far less of the regular(items) drops. So this method gives different drops than playing “actively” with a small group of players doing the same. We also had a few players playing “actively” with us. I didn’t ask any of them about their results.

So this definitely isn’t a way to farm leather. It also isn’t as fun as the zerg.(“normal” way) Every so often a group of centaurs will plow through the turret group, knocking people down and destroying turrets. So I don’t think you could AFK for long. But I never tried that, so I don’t know how long it would work. Or what the drops would be like.

mrstealth.6701

The only impact I’ve noticed on other players in the map is from the active maps’ population being primarily farming engis. There are less players doing anything in the rest of the map. Activity has already been in decline, probably because the map has been around for a few months and a new one is so close. But now it seems difficult to get group events done even in usually active hours.

The old leather runs could have a similar effect, but they weren’t this constant thing that went on for the whole day. It’s been a few days since I’ve found a map that didn’t have the majority of the population gathered at the base of the centaur camp.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

Guys, it’s not true afk. It’s probably less afk than minion necros, and def way less afk than the ranger pet. The engineers turrets naturally blow up after 5 mins (that’s if they stay alive that long, they take a pounding from stampeding centaurs). After that five min you have to go set out the turrets again. Now a player could set up a macro that drops turrets after a 5 min timer sure, but then you run into the issue of placing them. On day one everyone was just dropping them in a zerg ball, but the meta of the farm has evolved. The three turrets are now placed at specific spawn locations. If you don’t place them in these spots, your loot per hour goes WAY down.

I have heard rumors that a dev has confirmed it will be nerfed on tuesday (heard they were in the chat of a WP stream). They called it an “exploit”. I think they are referring to the heavy bags and not the leather hides. We will see tho.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Just when people find a use for turrets…

Let the engineers have their fun. The mobs in the camp don’t drop the bloodstone leather.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I have heard rumors that a dev has confirmed it will be nerfed on tuesday (heard they were in the chat of a WP stream). They called it an “exploit”. I think they are referring to the heavy bags and not the leather hides. We will see tho.

It’s probably the bag thing, if this is true. None of the centaurs at the base camp drop those leather hides. I periodically join this mob on my reaper and might, if I’m lucky, end up dragging a blood crazed centaur off the hill. And MAYBE it will drop a leather hide. But this particular farm is not the way to go for leather.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

So you heard from a guy about another guy talking to a dev on a stream… yep sounds legit. We’ll see I guess but it sounds totally fake.

FrostDraco.8306

’’Affected activities

Dungeons, in which the completion rewards for an account are cut severely after the first run for each path.
Open world:
Dynamic events, in which the completion rewards are reduced for a given character after clearing or failing a total of 10 events.
Loot from enemies, in which foes tend to drop less loot of progressively lower quality, for a character remaining in the same area for long periods of time.’’

After doing this for about 6 hrs the other day while working on a painting. I will have to say this is categorically false. I’m one of those people that measure how much loot i get over time because i always have my bag clean once its full, its extremely constant, and while the wiki may say that. Results are proving otherwise. The wiki says a lot of things that are incorrect. It’s not really a source. Nor is it exactly what i mean. It seems we are on two different pages.

It depends on how you define diminishing returns as well. I’m not using the wiki’s statement, but the actual concept. The rewards for events get worse and worse the more you continue to do events. While dungeons its a once a day chest, and then a static reward for further runs. I wouldn’t call the diminishing, but thats just me.

mrstealth.6701

I’d be surprised if Anet didn’t already have some plans on how to stop this. It might be slightly less afk’ing than some ranger and necro shenanigans I’ve seen, but were any of those as widespread?

I hadn’t been in Bitterfrost lately to see the number of afkers there, but almost every instance of Lake Doric I’ve found in the last several days has a pack of at least 30 engineers farming centuar.

mrstealth.6701

After doing this for about 6 hrs the other day while working on a painting. I will have to say this is categorically false. I’m one of those people that measure how much loot i get over time because i always have my bag clean once its full, its extremely constant, and while the wiki may say that. Results are proving otherwise. The wiki says a lot of things that are incorrect. It’s not really a source. Nor is it exactly what i mean. It seems we are on two different pages.

It depends on how you define diminishing returns as well. I’m not using the wiki’s statement, but the actual concept. The rewards for events get worse and worse the more you continue to do events. While dungeons its a once a day chest, and then a static reward for further runs. I wouldn’t call the diminishing, but thats just me.

It is possible that Anet excluded this area (or the map) from some types of DR, especially considering that it was added to be a farm where players kill the local mobs repeatedly. They did change HOT maps last year to remove event DR, so I assume it is something they are able to do in this case.

Posted by: MrNumnut.2635

MrNumnut.2635

’’Affected activities

Open world:

Doing a 6 hour long sample doesn’t really help, do a 3 hour sample note the loot, then do another 3 hour sample right after, see the difference.

In 45min of leather farm i already hit DR.

Posted by: Spiritz Wamphryi.8316

Spiritz Wamphryi.8316

from the view of someone who has done a ton of leather runs in LD – its not a case of salv the hides which a percentage does but selling the hides themselves , i can easily do a stack of hides in an hr ( which im sure many will agree on ) and selling a stack for say 5s each nets around 12g an hr ( yes i know its probably between 5.50 and 6s ) plus bags and other leather garbs which is to me a side bonus as im only after hides . The engi farm is what ppl were calling “lazy farm” . The main difference is what we are after as hides we sell are pure profit but getting bags is regarded same as hide salvage – its pure luck if you get mats worth it ( hail to the rng god – he either likes you or hates you ) . In a way its anets way of providing leather but still ensuring t6 leather doesnt become the same loss silk became ( many recall the excess silk problem we had and still have to this day ) . Loads flocked to leather runs at start because of the promise of “leather farming” but many also saw after its not a sure fire way to get t6 leather and went back to other farms . I will add tho that on the many leather runs ive been on there has been alot of engis in the squads so its not like they cant join the runs . As for diminishing returns – it kicks in between 1 and 2 hrs and if you disbelieve what wiki says .. consider this – why do you think at halloween anet kindly removed it from mad kings laby ? ot was because alot of players doing achieves and farming complained how it was kicking in so fast . Also why do you suppose theres 2 maps which to assist players with diminishing returns to stay on the map – ember bay has a buff from hearts which adds 25% mf per stack and silverwastes when doing events and after doing vw meta ? Its because players in a way have to stay on the map for long periods and if diminishing returns didnt kick in between 1 and 2 hrs why the heck bother adding the mf buffs ?
Mrnumnut – us farmers agree with you totally and stand with you – its those who deny/disbelieve who are sadly losing out even when we try and enlighten them so they can improve their drops . We can but hope that one day one or many anet staff will speak out and state for the record that it does exist and kicks in at a certain time so the disbelievers can see it in black and white . now who`s stolen my preachers pulpit as i swear i left it round here somewhere

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

But I don’t see it as something that should be allowed to continue. Don’t punish those doing it, just fix the game to where it’s not a possible/viable thing to do.

Exactly, if this is unwanted by the devs, make the turrets only last 45-60 seconds or something, or any other desired amount.

But as long as this is using your skills in the perfectly intended fashion, it’s a problem on the devs’ side for designing 5 minutes lasting stationary pets which attack without a command being required.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Doing a 6 hour long sample doesn’t really help, do a 3 hour sample note the loot, then do another 3 hour sample right after, see the difference.

In 45min of leather farm i already hit DR.

Doing any sample is pointless since DR is pure RNG. I have spent hours in Orr without noticing anything and other times DR hit visibly at the first event within 5 minutes of logging on (yes, literally I could see drops go from a few rares to bags, blues and greens, to only getting spikes and other junk while getting no more gear drops, the difference was stunning).

Elden Arnaas.4870

DR is not RNG based. You have to be consistent in how you play. And you have to work it off once it accumulates. And you have to pay attention and put some effort into zerg farming. If you’re mindlessly following a blob and spamming 1 while doing something else at the same time, then that could very well be your problem.
<edit>
Logging off does nothing to diminish accumulated DR. You have to take that character to another map and play there for a while, or use another character.(Which will also accumulate DR that needs to be worked off.)

(edited by Elden Arnaas.4870)