Enough with Plate Dress armor please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sinican.9250

sinican.9250

Q:

It is just horrible, so many armor sets junk just because of all the crappy looking pants, especially for charr where apparently the skirts get even shorter.

Please just stop with the skirts and dresses on plate armor, sure sure make a few, but at current there are far more plate dresses than plate legs… is there a reason why?

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I tend to agree. There are only a handful of leg armors that I use specifically for this reason. More pant-like heavy leggings need to be introduced.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you know why?
because that’s what Anet has always done in the past:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warrior_armor

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet designers seem enamored of the long skirt, kilt, coat or what-have-you. Ergo, they’re fashionable. It’s not just heavy armor that has leg items with long full or partial skirts. In fact, I’d say that light and medium have it worse.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

They don’t like pants in general.

At ArenaNet they all walk around without pants, they just show up in t-shirts and undies.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

It is just horrible, so many armor sets junk just because of all the crappy looking pants, especially for charr where apparently the skirts get even shorter.

Please just stop with the skirts and dresses on plate armor, sure sure make a few, but at current there are far more plate dresses than plate legs… is there a reason why?

Reason? Probably because many plate wearers are female characters? (Please note my main is a male human warrior…but I have 2 female guardians and a 2 female warriors as well.) I wouldn’t mind more plate legs as long as we can get some more interesting, slightly revealing medium armor tops.

(edited by azurrei.5691)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

At ArenaNet they all walk around without pants, they just show up in t-shirts and undies.

I was beginning to think they all showed up to work in schoolgirl outfits.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Thunderbird.8036

Thunderbird.8036

I guess since the armor as we see it is just the result of what the artist drew for each race male and female character Anet either presumed all the races are Scottish so like kilts, or just have preferences that lean that way. It would of course be quite easy for them to draw various armor sets to be stylish and attractive on the ladies and sufficiently rugged for the males.
Maybe Anet should have an area in the forum where people could put forward designs they would like to see on toons. I agree, that one of the big draws to this game is the personalised appearance you may develop. Without that it is just another game, maybe no better or worse than any other, but style is in my mind one of the biggest draw cards to GW2. Even the Asura race lack real detail other than hair (maybe) to define male from female but that is another subject. Anyway maybe some input along the style lines is what Anet needs to better appreciate what players would appreciate more. What do you all think?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

faulds/tassets/cuisse were pretty common in medieval times, protection of the thigh and waist area where plate couldn’t cover well due to not wanting to restict movement too badly.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

These armor skirts are actually the realistic version.

Basically: its hard to armor a crotch without being uncomfortable.
So they wear lightly or unarmored pants and wear this “skirt” to protect the crotch.

Naus the Gobbo.5172

So they wear lightly or unarmored pants and wear this “skirt” to protect the crotch.

There are gremlins that build flying pyramids, but making a chainmail crotch is too tall of an order.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Ah, Elite Kurzick armor, the good ’ol days.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If that’s their daily wear, I wonder what they wear (or don’t wear) on casual Fridays. O.o

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

There are gremlins that build flying pyramids, but making a chainmail crotch is too tall of an order.

lmao.

I love when people come with “but in reality”.

Tyria is a mixed world of magic, medieval times and amazing scientific discoveries.

And IF the realism was the factor… why is there even light or medium armour?
all professions get sent into fray of battle….they should all be wearing chainmail.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

The realistic reason really is a joke, but probably the answer to the OPs question.

I’m all for reasonable shoulder pads (not the 2 ton ones from other games) and swords that don’t look like you’d need to have super human strength to lift (saddly less and less of them since release) but this is still a fantasy world where real world physics don’t apply and I wish game developers would understand this and give it as a logical excuse to the complainers about how armor looks.

Ultimately in a world with magic and bullets, armor is peakitten feathers. It’s just for looks.

Seriously, what’s to stop an elementalist from just igniting your flesh beneath the plate mail anyway? I’ll tell you what, different magic! Not armor. Not only that, but once guns were invented heavy armor should have gone out the window if we’re tying this to reality now. Everyone should be wearing light/medium because it makes the most sense in a world with the great equalizer that bullets were in our world’s history. Why do you think the colonials fought in what they would wear to church? Their tech at the time couldn’t stop a bullet and once we got kevlar and what not it was put underneath cloth and weighed a lot less than steel.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well, a more accurate comparison is that we can have skimpy heavy armors that still offer maximum protection, but making a magically reinforced cup is too tall of an order.

That being said, chainmail pants would be useless in protecting the crotch. It’s good against cuts because it helps distribute the force across a larger area (so you’ll get bruised instead of cut), but that just means a sword to the crotch will “only” feel like a two-pound steel pole to the crotch.

Scrambled eggs, anyone?

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Skimpy heavy armors (at least what fantasy games call ‘heavy’ or armors for ‘warrior’ professions) did exist in real world (pit fighter karma armor is very close to roman/gladiator, gladiator is more akin to tribal warrior armor and barbaric is a blending of roman/gladiator and tribal), so again reality is probably their excuse for armor designs for the professions. So I wouldn’t call those a more accurate comparison, I’ve seen chain mail pants in other games that looked good (which should be the first priority designing armor for pixels).

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

I was looking for a skirt to go with my greek style armour but had to settle on babarious pants because it was the only skirt with no leggings…..instead stockings

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

What? There are FAR more plate legs than plate “dresses.” I’d actually like to see some more sets like Carapace come out (with fewer obnoxious clipping issues.)

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

I prefer the long flowing leggings as the Human male character models in this game have skinny legs.

I don’t want to see them.

Looks stupid.

Stop missing leg day.

Need more war dresses!

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

Freaking awful on Charr. More pants!

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

Skimpy heavy armors (at least what fantasy games call ‘heavy’ or armors for ‘warrior’ professions) did exist in real world (pit fighter karma armor is very close to roman/gladiator, gladiator is more akin to tribal warrior armor and barbaric is a blending of roman/gladiator and tribal), so again reality is probably their excuse for armor designs for the professions. So I wouldn’t call those a more accurate comparison, I’ve seen chain mail pants in other games that looked good (which should be the first priority designing armor for pixels).

Yea… gladiators were slaves put in a pit to fight to the death. Armor got in the way of that, so they didn’t give them much of it. Roman and Greek soldiers did wear skirts though, just with heavy chest plates.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Medium armor has masses of pants .. however there you have all those trenchcoats
that belong to the chest.

And heavy and light the chest pieces are mostly ok .. but you have those skirts
attached to the legs.

If they just never gave the different armor weights a different position where chest
and legs are seperatetd .. and then we could mix between them .. -sigh-

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

lmao.

I love when people come with “but in reality”.

Tyria is a mixed world of magic, medieval times and amazing scientific discoveries.

And IF the realism was the factor… why is there even light or medium armour?
all professions get sent into fray of battle….they should all be wearing chainmail.

The point is: Everything we see ingame comes from somewhere.

Arenanet will obvious design armors based on actual armors.
And no in reallife it wasn’t just chainmail for all either.

The heavy armors ingame also cover a massive range from what would be a light armor irl to full plate armor which has nothing to do with heavy armor and for the most part wasnt used by infantry, ever.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Eh? I’m not saying skimpy armor didn’t exist in real life, I’m saying:

[…]a more accurate comparison is that we can have skimpy heavy armors that still offer maximum protection[…]

It’s an accurate comparison because both skimpy armor and chainmail crotch guards don’t offer much protection in real life, yet skimpy armor offers full protection in games, so the same should be true for chainmail pants.

Comparing flying structures to chainmail crotch protection isn’t a good match because a) it’s different forms of technology and b) we actually have flying structures in real life (space stations), yet we don’t have chainmail crotch protection, so that only serves to validate the lack of skirtless chainmail pants in the game.

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

Funny that i should see this thread because i was thinking the same thing about the heavy armor dress/skirts. I dont really care where the game designers get their inspiration from, whether it is IRL, other fantasy works, or a combination. I would like to see more “pants” style leggings. The things is…this is already in game but of course on NPCs. Like some of the Lionguard have plate leggings with no skirt. Actually its more like mail leggings with some plate here and there.

Is there some reason we cannot get heavy leggings like on the Lionguard NPC below?

I dont know if you can really say that its an animation or clipping issue. Because the mail part of the leggings are just a texture skin painted on the models. The plate attachments are the only parts that have and 3d depth but all the non-mail stuff doesnt look like it is in a place that would have clipping issues. Are all the flaps and skirts we have now meant to cover up some kind of animation or clipping issue we have now?

http://i.imgur.com/j4YFcO7.jpg

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Ah, Elite Kurzick armor, the good ’ol days.

That armor is awesome as hell and I always stop and admire it when I see someone in a town or outpost rocking it. I’m currently working on my Kurzick max title and buying amber chunks so I can craft it for my warrior (I’m broke in GW1 so I can’t straight up buy them all lol).

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Human medium armor legs are all pants pretty much. Actually, I do believe every non-gem leg armor for the human in the medium tier is exclusively pants. And for the guys, all of them look pretty much identical.

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

Is there some reason we cannot get heavy leggings like on the Lionguard NPC below?

That entire set can be made using Karma vendor gear

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

So that is one, any other options besides that one? something for low and mid levels characters?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I wouldn’t trust an Asura to build my crotch protection, thank you very much.

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

The “skirts” are historically and anatomically accurate though. The movement restrictions that full leg length plate armor would impose would have our characters walking around like the Tin Man without an oil can. The skirt is needed to protect the joint at the hip.

That said, I’m certain a better design can be acheived with little effort and considering the minimalist armors available for female characters, realism isn’t the primary concern.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

you know why?

The fact that the whole page looks exact the same shows a lack of design. Designs, in my opinion, should be far wider and grand to accommodate player preferences. These slight derivatives of a single look doesn’t give much to players to enjoy at all.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Some things are just beyond the capabilities of lowly mortals. Plus, do you want holes in the crotch armor for like acid breath or whatever to get through? Didn’t think so…

you know why?

The fact that the whole page looks exact the same shows a lack of design. Designs, in my opinion, should be far wider and grand to accommodate player preferences. These slight derivatives of a single look doesn’t give much to players to enjoy at all.

It’s liek they took all the people who made heavy armor in GW1 and put them on the medium armor team in GW2.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Yes please more plated legs. I only use a few leg models for this very reason..

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

So that is one, any other options besides that one? something for low and mid levels characters?

There’s the Phalanx set from the gem store, although its female version looks like a wacky disco dress.

Beldin.5498

Aetherblade armor from the gem-store is what i mostly use.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

You’re totally right, all the charr look like theyre wearing mini skirts made of plate mail.

Astral Projections.7320

That armor makes my female Norn warrior’s hips look big.

Naus the Gobbo.5172

She’s just fat.

Beldin.5498

Its nothing against the light zodiac pants .. that is really the worst o.O

Those characters are all Norn btw. and i don’t really have i problem with it,
or i simply got used to it ^^

Astral Projections.7320

She’s just fat.

Not fat!

More to love.

Edit: I previewed the Zodiac armor on her. Now that made her look obese.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you want trouser armor, here you go…..also don’t complain about how modern it is because ppl are already complaining about how much realistic armors don’t fit in the game so……there.

Attachments:

Beldin.5498

Ah .. when post something like this .. however that are also the legs that were already postet above.

Attachments:

Naus the Gobbo.5172

She’s just fat.

Not fat!

More to love.

Keep telling yourself it’s the clothes.

Beldin.5498

She’s just fat.

Not fat!

More to love.

I really like the zodiac from the front .. but since you mostly see you back when playing … nah .. don’t want to see Big Mama all the time

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I agree with the whole ’there’s far too many plate skirts in game’.

That’s why I’ve gone for the arah legs, because my only other option was braham’s long leg skin, but that costs gems, and I spend far too much money on gems as it is, so that’s no option for me.

I hope the charr leg skins improve too, right now my charr guardian is wearing some of the cultural legs because it’s really the only leg skin he can wear that doesn’t make him look feminine (power to you if you want a feminine look though for a male charr). All I’m saying is that I’m going for a masculine look myself – and with all these plate skirts, it severely limits my options. Same reason I hate most of the male light armor – it’s as if the designers wanted to make sure as much skin as humanly possible was to be covered up. And don’t even get me started on all the medium trenchcoats – that’s for a whole other thread entirely!

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I’ve always found male characters in both GW2 and GW1 to be a bit wonky. In GW1 I had mostly female characters because there was very little male armor skins that look good.

I’ve tried to make a male sylvari a few times but I always delete it. The armors fit them weird and they run all goofy. Similar to how the male monk in GW1 runs really goofy.

The art team just doesn’t know how to make impressive male models and characters the way they can make impressive female armors. (With a few exceptions. I love a lot of the norn cultural armors for both sexes) I mean some of the male human builds have this weird excessive gap between their legs if you view them without armor at chartacter creation. I guess the humans of Tyria have a bit different pelvic bone structure than the humans of Earth, lol.

And it’s not about being attracted to women or not. I’ve played other games and been very comfortable playing a male character. The Assassin’s Creed games have really nice armors and animations for Ezio and the gang.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I want to see a lot more male skimpy armor, similar to the stuff that the Castanic’s from the game ‘Tera’ wear. Anet should take some inspiration from that :-P

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Do eet! Skimpy man armor!