Enough with the artificial rewards...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

As a returning player after 3 years, I can’t help to notice that the reward in this game is still terrible even for the meta events which can take up to 45min -60min.

ANet’ strategy to have the game constantly pop up exotic chests on the screen, only to contain some green/blue items worth 3-4 silvers and some cheap crafting materials worth less than 1 silver, plus more useless currencies that would take forever to add up and be worth anything, is a cheap way to create an illusion for the players to believe that they are actually getting rewarded for their hard work.

If ANet is worried about the inflation of gold or whatever then they can just make the reward account bound and add some pets, skins, gliders, etc to the chests. Or at least remove the stupid chests and just give more XP and some extra currency.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

+1 to you sir, i wholeheartedly agree :>

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Serious? This game has more rewards for doing nothing than anything I have experienced, it’s literally inventory filling with loot every 20 mins.

And items do not inflate currency, only coin rewards do that.

I think you just need to look into how you can take better advantage of the loot you are getting.

Posted by: Ayuruk.3980

Ayuruk.3980

I absolutely agree. The rewards are absolutely garbage and borderline worthless.

Ayuruk.3980

Serious? This game has more rewards for doing nothing than anything I have experienced, it’s literally inventory filling with loot every 20 mins.

I think you just need to look into how you can take better advantage of the loot you are getting.

Yea it fills ur inventory with trash. Nothing of value or use

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

If I’m in a level 80 zone I shouldn’t be getting a bunch of useless greens and blues, especially underleveled gear. Just give me silver and copper at that point. And the stupid chests around maps should actually have a chance for good drops, not a blue pair of gloves and 3 empyreal fragments.

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Do you want a precursor every kill? What do you actually expect?

If I’m in a level 80 zone I shouldn’t be getting a bunch of useless greens and blues, especially underleveled gear. Just give me silver and copper at that point. And the stupid chests around maps should actually have a chance for good drops, not a blue pair of gloves and 3 empyreal fragments.

Those drops are worth silver and copper at that point, sell them on the TP or salvage them and sell the mats. They can’t just keep adding gold to the game.

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

Trash/nothing of value? Are we playing the same game? The items themselves aren’t worth much, but the materials from breaking them down add up fast. It’s ridiculously easy to make gold in this game. Unless your point is more to do with rewards not being flashy, in which case I completely agree.

However, the direction they’ve gone in is basically choose your own rewards by amassing currency. Map currencies are also very easy to get with the one exception being bloodstone rubies. Most maps only require one meta whilst opening various chests, pods, etc. along the way to afford just about anything in the map vendor’s inventories.

Which maps are you playing?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

quite literally the last thing i need or want is more exp as a reward.

I’m being serious here. Experience is so stupidly easy to come by its not even a reward.

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

Trash/nothing of value? Are we playing the same game? The items themselves aren’t worth much, but the materials from breaking them down add up fast. It’s ridiculously easy to make gold in this game. Unless your point is more to do with rewards not being flashy, in which case I completely agree.

However, the direction they’ve gone in is basically choose your own rewards by amassing currency. Map currencies are also very easy to get with the one exception being bloodstone rubies. Most maps only require one meta whilst opening various chests, pods, etc. along the way to afford just about anything in the map vendor’s inventories.

HoT maps

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Reward system is terrible on purpose. Like RedDeadFred said you are supposed to salvage all trash you getting and then buy yourself a reward from the market or convert gold to gems and buy some skins from gem store.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

Those drops are worth silver and copper at that point, sell them on the TP or salvage them and sell the mats. They can’t just keep adding gold to the game.

Why not just handing out material bags or plain copper and silver? You have to spend on salvage kits, you won’t use those blues or greens, selling them as they are is much less proffitable than disarming them for materials and selling those anyways…

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The rewards are consistent & constant, which is why they are ‘garbage’. That allows even the unlucky to afford shinies (if they are only a little careful with their spending & inventory management). In other games, it’s like I told you, only the lucky can play.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Why not just handing out material bags or plain copper and silver? You have to spend on salvage kits, you won’t use those blues or greens, selling them as they are is much less proffitable than disarming them for materials and selling those anyways…

Infinite salvage tools and extra inventory space now on gem store!

Ayuruk.3980

Last time I checked precursors aren’t the only exotic gear. Rather than over exaggerate I think we can come up with a middle ground. How about straight copper/silver, soulbound exotic gear that drops more often, crafting mats. If I spend an hour or more doing a meta and get rewarded with xp, and vendor trash IMO that’s hardly a reward considering the time and effort that went into it.

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

HoT maps

Then I definitely stand by my points. HoT metas give tons of loot and the map currencies are earned very quickly.

To reiterate my question: are you talking more about rewards not being exciting? I do agree with that, but they’re plenty valuable.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

The only reason we’re still getting tons of those useless “rewards” is the gem store:

• copper-fed salvage kit – 800 gems
  • shared inventory slot – 700 gems each
  • additional bag slot (soulbound) – 400 gems each

Otherwise, they could just give us bags that contain crafting materials and skip the unnecessary blue and green armor/weapons in lvl 80 zones.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The only reason we’re still getting tons of those useless “rewards” is the gem store:

• copper-fed salvage kit – 800 gems
  • shared inventory slot – 700 gems each
  • additional bag slot (soulbound) – 400 gems each

Otherwise, they could just give us bags that contain crafting materials and skip the unnecessary blue and green armor/weapons in lvl 80 zones.

I feel it necessary to adjust this statement slightly. We get enough bags. Just go straight to the crafting mats or Exotic+ rewards.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Tekey.7946

I feel it necessary to adjust this statement slightly. We get enough bags. Just go straight to the crafting mats or Exotic+ rewards.

Even better, seems like I couldn’t even imagine GW2 without bags

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Even better, seems like I couldn’t even imagine GW2 without bags

And then, people would complain there are no actual item drops.

Tekey.7946

And then, people would complain there are no actual item drops.

I dont think anyone would miss thousands of bags that contained nothing but blues and greens which eventually cluttered your inventory just so you can salvage them to materials – when they could get the materials immediately instead. I wouldn’t mind if they started a survey.

We would still have exotic drops that may be more useful for alts or the trading post.

(edited by Tekey.7946)

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

We’ve been down this route before…… Firefall and the JC Penny effect. Being a fair system is less important then being a system that “feels” good. And for the majority of players, who are visually driven, they needs to SEE objects amassing in order to “feel” like they’re making progress. You could easily make a more efficient system, but doing so cuts out the strongest secondary indicators that wealth accumulation is taking place.

Sense of scale also factors heavily into a response….. which had a major impact on the perception of Karma, despite its high value in Core Tyria maps. After a certain point, we lose awareness of the scale, almost ignoring it in the process. You could, for instance, convert karma into gold by buying items and either selling or dropping them in the mystic toilet for TP valuable items. You’re still making money, but output rate of the conversion process was too small to “feel” being worth the effort. As such, karma was considered “worthless” outside of a few very highly karma priced items. Conversely, the new back packs for the Abaddon and (and lesser extent) Aurora collections consume huge amounts of Karma per back piece…. and somehow we no longer “have enough of this worthless karma to matter”.

Look at the huge arguments surrounding the “Unidentified items” in the PoF demo. There has no be objective attempts to figure out what the average conversion rates into rare/exotic gear are, which would immediately make its profitability clear. Instead, nearly all the arguments are solely fixated on how bad the ID process “Feels” because we can’t quickly identify if there is an exotic item or not at a glance. In terms of functionality, this is almost identical to salvaging for Ectos (there is a drop rate, and it may or may not pay off); yet that key difference of the system’s visual cues (giving a sense of agency) seems to make it the polar opposite of what that system does.