EotM Appreciation Thread

EotM Appreciation Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

It’s been out for a while now but I just wanted to say this: thank you for Edge of the Mists. I don’t play as much GW2 as I used to but what will get me hooked for hours on end is WvW, specifically the new map. It’s an absolute pleasure to command in that map, plan the best routes through objectives, and even after all the hours I’ve spent in Edge there are always new obscure paths I want to check out to see how it all fits together. And the four hour match length is just perfect for getting a fresh start. So really, hats off to the design team for this awesome map, I love it.

Happy WvWing!

Mal Violet

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

I was never particularly into WvW, only ever being there for karma trains. EotM is really quite nice because it removes the people, such as myself, that don’t really know what we’re doing from the main maps. We learn the ropes in Edge, and then get into the Big Boy league in regular zones. I don’t know if I will ever progress past Edge, though. It is far too nice of a map.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I second this emotion: EotM is fun and easy to play, and the rewards are quite nice too.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

EotM is a wonderful PvE farming map … I agree.

Hopefully Anet will do as good a job when they finally create a new non-farming Non-PvE map for WvW/PvP .

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I like EotM. It should replace regular WvW.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

EotM’s biggest win for me is the dynamic terrain. Combat is much more interesting and you’re forced to be much more aware of your position relative to your opponents than you do in normal WvW. I play it more for the roaming, and the fights are always good.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

All of EotM is awesome, I just wish the map cap was lower for a better chance of balanced population.

Sincerly, Me.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

EOTM is interestingly designed, different from the boringness of WvW. The castle in EOTM is truly a castle with layer of walls, gates and objectives. EOTM still has potential to be improved.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

The only good thing about EoTM is that it keeps those people out of wvw that we don’t want in wvw. The kind of player that is completely uninterested in strategy, learning, fighting or competition.

EoTM consists of a single huge farm train, that moves on the same route for hours just capping objectives. Fights with the other team are actively avoided, and defending is non-existent.

The fact that EoTM rewards (even moreso than real wvw) badges of honor and wxp is a joke and a slap in the the face for true WvW-ers.

EoTM is champfarming in WvW cloak. It has no other use than to keep the casuals happy, making them feel like they play and progress in a pvp-enviroment, when in reality it’s 100% PvE.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

The only good thing about EoTM is that it keeps those people out of wvw that we don’t want in wvw. The kind of player that is completely uninterested in strategy, learning, fighting or competition.

EoTM consists of a single huge farm train, that moves on the same route for hours just capping objectives. Fights with the other team are actively avoided, and defending is non-existent.

The fact that EoTM rewards (even moreso than real wvw) badges of honor and wxp is a joke and a slap in the the face for true WvW-ers.

EoTM is champfarming in WvW cloak. It has no other use than to keep the casuals happy, making them feel like they play and progress in a pvp-enviroment, when in reality it’s 100% PvE.

By ANet’s standards ALL of WvW, no matter whether it be in a BL, EB, or EotM, is all PvE. If it was PvP they would have split it in the first place, just like actual PvP.

There is also a reason that people stay out of regular WvW, because they receive nothing but elitism such as this.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Shouldn’t this be in the WvW forum subsection?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Fun terrain (well mostly – ileap on some of those steep slopes is annoying), immediate action, no queues, mixed servers so can potentially run into wider variety of players.

You get the big blobs in normal maps anyway, so not like there’s much difference in that respect.

I only have one problem – when exiting eotm I sometimes have a framerate drop down to single digits, which only resolves itself by restarting the whole game.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

this map is poorly balanced and only fun when you are green

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

And thus, the WvW elitist/purist was formed.

Dunno how your server fairs in the WvW tournies, but gotta say, bodies are bodies, and the more bodies you have on your side, the better you are likely to do. Casuals or not. In the end, WvW strategy means nothing if you don’t have bodies behind it. Ideally they would be experienced bodies, but inexperienced bodies are better than no bodies.

You should encourage casuals to learn more about WvW and take an interest, not ostracize them. Better for your server in the long run.

Just my opinion.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

EotM is a PvE karma train map where you happen to have the ability to kill other players.

Sure, the map looks nice, but the gameplay is very lackluster.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

EotM is a PvE karma train map where you happen to have the ability to kill other players.

Sure, the map looks nice, but the gameplay is very lackluster.

This is a fair point – perhaps in the future the rewards could be scaled down or something?

But I wouldn’t say the gameplay is lackluster – enough action going on besides the train and can always find a good fight.

And I will say – taking camps in normal wvw is just as much pve as any of the eotm points.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Dunno how your server fairs in the WvW tournies, but gotta say, bodies are bodies, and the more bodies you have on your side, the better you are likely to do. Casuals or not. In the end, WvW strategy means nothing if you don’t have bodies behind it. Ideally they would be experienced bodies, but inexperienced bodies are better than no bodies.

You should encourage casuals to learn more about WvW and take an interest, not ostracize them. Better for your server in the long run.

Just my opinion.

Inexperienced bodies are NOT better than no bodies in my experience. Taking supplies from upgrading towers, running from a fight instead of pushing etc – the list is huge. With that said pure wvw players should encourage the “casuals” to party up with them to teach them the ropes so they aren’t rally bait.

On topic – I just don’t care for the EotM game mode. It reminded me of the Queensdale champ train with huge zergs and little to no roaming or defending.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yeah, cool words from a “true WvW-er”, shocking thought: people can like and competently do both.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

EotM is where I go to train people about WvW without crippling anything in the normal modes.
You can learn alot there without having to worry about people screaming at you that you are doing something wrong. You can experiment and try out new things without people breathing down your neck and the constant worry about PPT. This is where it shines.

I know alot of people that avoided WvW because of the harsh people expecting everyone to know the ropes day 1.

Sure, its a karma-loot fest for some, I use it as a tool.

Also, some epic fights can still be had, heck, perhaps even more so than in normal WvW given you have to be aware of your surroundings.

Duty is heavier than death.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

It’s not elitism. EoTM just has nothing to do with wvw, and does not prepare anyone for wvw, because everyone plays it as a PvE farm map.

WvW-community isn’t elitist either. If you are a new player and willing to learn, any server will go to great length to explain things and help you out, because WvW-players are precious, and every interested player can help the server.

However, this requires players to be willing to at least read the chat or maybe get on ts3 so that they can learn.

WvW is a competition. If someone doesn’t know what to do and doesn’t listen to the commander/ is not willing to learn, this hurts the server and might anger some people. This again leads to us being happy because many of those people are now in EoTM.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Inexperienced bodies are NOT better than no bodies in my experience. Taking supplies from upgrading towers, running from a fight instead of pushing etc – the list is huge. With that said pure wvw players should encourage the “casuals” to party up with them to teach them the ropes so they aren’t rally bait.

On topic – I just don’t care for the EotM game mode. It reminded me of the Queensdale champ train with huge zergs and little to no roaming or defending.

Encouraging them to learn is more of what I meant. That will come down to good leadership and communication.

I’m on Fort Aspenwood, we have a strong presence, especially during WvW tournament time. But I have definitely been around when we just didn’t have the bodies to get anything worthwhile done outside of the taking camps and the random tower here and there. We could have the best strategy in the world, but what good are upgrades if you can’t hold a keep/tower or even take a keep/tower? I mean….think about it…

Casuals won’t be getting on TS3, that’s obvious enough. But don’t underestimate what constant /map chat orders can accomplish. Especially during tournament time it would be worth explaining how the upgrade system works, supplies, etc. regularly. Get a copy and paste thing going. This time specifically is when you are likely to have the most casuals in WvW to try and get AP.

They probably just don’t know how anything works.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I also love it. WvW can be so much fun, but sometimes I don’t feel like dealing with all of the server drama. Eotm is perfect because you can just hop in and out at your convenience.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I like EoTM map too, its a great PvE/WvW map.

However, as a WvW player I also really like the normal maps. The normal maps allow for better fights and I like the traditional Stonemist and keeps/towers/camps.

I played EoTM a lot when it first came out but not at all since, because you don’t score points for your server on that map, which puts me off and I always go to a points scoring map instead, especially with a tournament running.

I like EoTM as a one off map and works well to play when there are queues for WvW but I would not want all WvW to be like it.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I think it’d be more interesting if it was more closely tied to wvw and earning for your server or perhaps instead your guild. There’s so much the map has to offer in siege strategy that just doesn’t get played, and really that’s a shame.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

WvW in the borderlands every day, but +1 from me for EoTM. I hope that if the regular maps get a face lift we see more of the EoTM fearures ported over. A good map should have both open fields and bottlenecks. Short cuts across areas should be faster but allow for bottlenecks. The multiple levels on the maps also create interesting situations since you know where the enemy is but you can’t get to them. The fact that you have to pay attention to where you and your opponent are compared to a potential fall adds more strategy to some fights. Terrain adds more to the fights versus just trees that are blocking your view because of camera repostions. Now don’t get me wrong, it has its zerg’s just like the borderlands but all the nooks have allowed for more chances of finding smaller fights as people die and can’t be respawned. That to me is a good acid test on why not being able to rez the fully dead would allow zerg’s to be widdled away by havoc groups and might encourage smaller forces to attack larger ones. Weather is also another nice added effect. Cresting a hill and not being able to see a force right on the other side has been a lot of fun, even when you are ambushee.
Now I know some people don’t want harvestable items in the WvW areas, but in the Edge its at times created other points of contension. As people come to certain areas to farm its created hot spots of activities. Plus if there is nothing going on in the borderlands it has a good chance to find a fight. Both the borderlands and the Edge have the people looking to flip empty buildings, but between both you have a better chance to find fights if you are looking for them, or other activities based on your mood. Both maps suffer from the fact that taking is more rewarding then holding in a lot of peoples eyes though, but for another discussion. Good hunting.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

EotM Appreciation Thread

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I played EoTM a lot when it first came out but not at all since, because you don’t score points for your server on that map, which puts me off and I always go to a points scoring map instead, especially with a tournament running.

Subquoting you here. This is a valid point. If scoring was reworked then the servers that win in the EoTM points should drop points into those servers weekly points on top of the supply drops. Anything to better tie these together would add meaning to playing in both with the predominate point maker being the borderlands.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.