Essence of Luck

Essence of Luck

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dark Lurker.2781

Dark Lurker.2781

I’ve chosen Lunar New Year to open the subject about luck. I play this game for a bit more than two years now and I found Essence of luck kinda useless overtime. When you’ve maxed Magic Find, did Attuned Grow Lamp, Powerful Grow Lamp and some items such as Further Exploration (guild upgrade), Essence of luck become useless at this point. Even so, if you look at it from a different angle, Essence of Luck (10) is more useful than Essence of Luck (200) because it can be use in creation of Lucky Great Lanterns . You can craft Essences to make them exotic, but can’t reverse the process by salvaging it or placing in Mystic Forge. Every now and then, we got also a Bag of Essence of Luck as Daily Reward Item Track. I know many people just destroying luck, but I was wondering if ArenaNet is planning to do something about Luck in general. Using it as tokens on special merchants to get, for example, materials bags at least, even a very little amount will make Essence of luck something more than junk . Lucky Skins , Well of Luck , Bags of Loots , a reverse process to make them back to lower level, etc. I don’t expect an answer on this, but I wanted to show the reality of this essence . Thank you.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It may be. Time will tell.

You can always add your suggestion to the Official QoL Suggestions Sticky.

Good luck.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Please don’t destroy your luck. My guild will happily take it off your hands for the sake of lantern decorations in the guild hall.

I’m quite serious, too. Whisper me in-game if you see this post and have an overabundance of luck you’re planning on destroying. We’ll send you an invite and you can toss it all in the GH, instead!

Essence of Luck

Posted by: cerastes.3084

cerastes.3084

I just tried a search for “luck” and “essence of luck” both results didn’t show this thread, very annoying and had to create a new thread (although tried to delete it now).

Anyway, glad it’s not just me that is struggling to find uses for essence of luck. I also think there should be a merchant for essence of luck – perhaps a skritt that can trade for “shinies”?

Even after doing a few events on a map, my inv fills up with blue and green items. I can’t keep travelling to merchants to sell (besides it’s not worth it anyway). So I salvage them, then my inv fills up with essence of luck.

I am aware of the mystic forge for the blue essence of luck (although sometimes that doesn’t work out profitable), but I have so many of the others too.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

My thoughts on this are that it takes a very direct effort to max out magic find. It is such that it is the only means to which mf is maxed. So point of the matter is a decision was made to condense something that would normally take a very long time. So in essence a trade-off has been made to exchange max mf for using eol. I don’t think any concession should be made for those who chose to max their mf as they chose to do it.

Wow….just read what I wrote….lol that was very poorly conveyed. I blame jet lag. Basically it boils down to “You made your bed, now lay in it”.

Serenity now~Insanity later

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

Essence of Luck

cerastes.3084

I didn’t chose to max my mf, I salvage my blue and green’s because they are not worth selling. That’s how my mf maxed out.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

We all hit the MF cap eventually. I’m at 270% personally (not by going out of my way to increase it), though I’ve been spending my luck essences on lanterns in my guild hall.
Someone suggested an essence eater, not unlike the ones for bloodstone/empyreal/dragonite. Doesn’t solve the problem, it’s just a bandaid as only a small minority of the playerbase is at the cap right now.

Kitten.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

This is I think the third or fourth time I’m suggesting this: remove essences and instead add the luck directly to the account when it would be awarded or generated by salvaging. Adjust some recipes that require essences now to require something else. Problem solved.

They did that with WvW world XP containers. Works fine. There’s absolutely no reason to have luck be in a “tangible” form at any point, except to complicate the game.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

This is I think the third or fourth time I’m suggesting this: remove essences and instead add the luck directly to the account when it would be awarded or generated by salvaging. Adjust some recipes that require essences now to require something else. Problem solved.

And I hate this idea. I despise the account luck system and I don’t want any luck. I destroy the essences.

I wish there was a luck eater.

let the sky fall

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I didn’t chose to max my mf, I salvage my blue and green’s because they are not worth selling. That’s how my mf maxed out.

Really doubt that salvaging drops alone is sufficient to max mf at this point in time.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Essence of Luck

Dark Lurker.2781

Since I started playing really to this game, I didn’t see much difference anyway with or without Magic Find. And for maximum MF, it took me exactly one month and a half to made it, believe it or not. So, more recipes using it should be cool, but, like I said, only a process to break down them to a lower level should be better than letting them as they are at the moment.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And I hate this idea. I despise the account luck system and I don’t want any luck. I destroy the essences.

You don’t want better drops? If so, i’m pretty sure you are in extreme minority here.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

You don’t want better drops? If so, i’m pretty sure you are in extreme minority here.

I despise their account luck system and I want to avoid it.

Anyway, luck could also be tradeable… /thinks of possibilities

let the sky fall

Essence of Luck

Dark Lurker.2781

I think the idea of Manasa Devi.7958 is more making them not an item, a XP kinda of bar , that is not a bad idea either. In some ways, yes, they’ll have to remove or replace Luck used in some recipes and it’s a minority of recipes using it anyway. But, also, making them usable in other ways will make players happy seeing something at their advantage. When you reach maximum Tyria Mastery, you get a crystal when you fill up the XP bar and it’s a little bonus for those maxed out in these masteries. Why not making luck better when you hit max MF as you worked for it?

Essence of Luck

cerastes.3084

Really doubt that salvaging drops alone is sufficient to max mf at this point in time.

It is, if you play as much as I do and get as many blue/green drops as I do.

Essence of Luck

Astralporing.1957

As i said, the only reason i can think of is that you don’t actually want better drops. Which is weird, and definitely not something you share with many people.

Actions, not words.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Anyway, luck could also be tradeable… /thinks of possibilities

The reason it’s account luck is because luck used to be bound to armor and people were making high luck armor. Their armor was inferior in damage and boons to regular armor. They were then going into group events such as dungeons and benefiting from their party members doing more damage and group help than them and yet they were getting better drops. After multiple complaints luck was changed to account bound, a better system than character bound luck.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I do the same thing, plus I salvaged tons of ecto for crystalline dust. I still haven’t maxed out. I wonder what we are doing differently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Essence of Luck

drunkenpilot.9837

The reason it’s account luck is because luck used to be bound to armor and people were making high luck armor. Their armor was inferior in damage and boons to regular armor. They were then going into group events such as dungeons and benefiting from their party members doing more damage and group help than them and yet they were getting better drops. After multiple complaints luck was changed to account bound, a better system than character bound luck.

Thanks for the clarification on this mentality. I’ve seen one or two other posts like Traced’s since they changed luck to account bound and I have never understood why anyone would actively destroy luck they get. It just doesn’t make logical sense to me as these players are actively choosing to destroy something that directly helps them to get better drops. Even if it’s an extremely, extremely small increase in Magic Find, it’s still an increase.

To me it’s akin to declining a raise at work. I just don’t see the logic in it.

Thanks again for this explanation, even if it isn’t Traced’s reason for destroying luck, it at least gives me an idea of why people might choose to do that.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

I have over 3k hours into the game and im about 210% out of 300%

Am i doing something wrong? Should i have salvaged ectos to max it out asap like a lot of people had?

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Thanks for the clarification on this mentality. I’ve seen one or two other posts like Traced’s since they changed luck to account bound and I have never understood why anyone would actively destroy luck they get. It just doesn’t make logical sense to me as these players are actively choosing to destroy something that directly helps them to get better drops. Even if it’s an extremely, extremely small increase in Magic Find, it’s still an increase.

To me it’s akin to declining a raise at work. I just don’t see the logic in it.

Thanks again for this explanation, even if it isn’t Traced’s reason for destroying luck, it at least gives me an idea of why people might choose to do that.

Yah. It was 3 years back and some people back then were not happy that the changeover invalidated their magic gear armor that they spent gold to craft,

Here’s a thread from the change over, and coincidently, traced.3495 posted on it and said why he didn’t like the change.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Magic-Find-merged/first

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Essence of Luck

Dark Lurker.2781

To be honest, I see luck like this atm : luck is spamming in my inventory . It’s not fun when you see someone spamming in map chat all day long about their guild. I will be pleased to see a change about it, even so it’s deleted from the game. Not being seen or making them as tokens will be even better, but everyone can dream, but some don’t reach them… lol. When I’ll be bored I’ll leave the game like I’ve done in the past with some other. New territories is fun also, but when you crowd it with mobs and you are at a state that fighting every second is already pain, new maps with more mobs near materials don’t make, for me, new stuff. But that, it’s another subject…

Essence of Luck

drunkenpilot.9837

To be honest, I see luck like this atm : luck is spamming in my inventory . It’s not fun when you see someone spamming in map chat all day long about their guild. I will be pleased to see a change about it, even so it’s deleted from the game. Not being seen or making them as tokens will be even better, but everyone can dream, but some don’t reach them… lol. When I’ll be bored I’ll leave the game like I’ve done in the past with some other. New territories is fun also, but when you crowd it with mobs and you are at a state that fighting every second is already pain, new maps with more mobs near materials don’t make, for me, new stuff. But that, it’s another subject…

I deal with the luck “spam” by keeping one of each tier of essence off to one side of my inventory when I’m out doing stuff that gives me big piles of loot. As I salvage, instead of cluttering up my inventory, the luck neatly piles itself into the stacks I already have going, and when I finish my loot farming for the day, it’s just a matter of right clicking each stack and selecting “Consume All”

Doing this once at the end of your loot run rather than after every single salvage really cuts down on the time you might spend “dealing” with the luck to almost no time at all.

Hope this helps.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Should be able to craft boosters if you ask me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Essence of Luck

Dark Lurker.2781

Boosters are not a bad idea, but as they sell them at Marketplace ,not sure it’s good for their business. And, I keep all my luck, craft them to exotic to save space because we can’t craft 500 and stock them because I still have place in bank, and ,no, I don’t do it after each loot because I’ll go insane. I still having hope that they may do something about it.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I’m still struggling with how a game can have Essence of Luck and Diminishing Returns (DR) at the same time. They both individually make sense but together, how do they work? Will Luck push you past DR or does DR stop Lucks effect, when and how?

Essence of Luck

Astralporing.1957

I’m still struggling with how a game can have Essence of Luck and Diminishing Returns (DR) at the same time. They both individually make sense but together, how do they work? Will Luck push you past DR or does DR stop Lucks effect, when and how?

They are both independent of each other.
Luck only serves to improve Magic Find, up to a certain point, and the amount of luck obtained from salvaging is not in any way affected by DR.

But, assuming you actually meant MF when you said “luck”, the answer is still very similar. The both systems sort of interact with each other, but they are independent.

MF improves basic drop chances (well, to be more precise, improves chances of getting better quality of the items dropped). The DR reduces quality of loot and drop chances, and seem to be so strong eventually, that any bonuses from MF might as well be nonexistent.

Actions, not words.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Have not maxed out my luck, but I wish we have the option to make it go straight to our mf…Tired of repetitive clicking in this game.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Repetitive clicking? It’s only one click to ‘Consume All’. I, personally, do a lot less clicking with Essences of Luck, than I do with other items.

Of course, it was different before the change.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Now that’s a good idea!

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I agree. There should be chief and artificer recipes for crafting them. I’m well past 200 luck on my account and will probably max out my magic find in a few months. I’m going to have to start finding things to do with the luck I get from salvage.

They could also have a recipe for converting essence of luck to essence of unbound magic by blending it with bloodstone dust and other items that players regularly OD on.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I have maxed out mf and mostly have only salvaged blues and greens.
At the moment i have luck just building up and dont want to destroy in case it is needed at a later date.

I however would like the option to craft exotic luck into legendary luck at the artificer to save some of my storage space.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Now that’s a good idea!

Seconded!

Or maybe some luck-based foods for Chef 500?
/nudgeANet
I’m being silly, but it’s actually an idea. Take the normal high-end foods, use Exotic Essences of Luck to infuse them with bonus [magic, gold, and/or xp] without removing the foods’ other bonuses.

Or, to go a bit far with it, have a vendor on each map that trades a clump of exotic luck (5? 10? I’unno, just spitballing numbers here) for a map progress reward. Wishful thinking really, but I can see how that’d easily go south or be ripe for abuse.

Perhaps a Forge recipe?
3 green sigils + X Exotic Luck = random mini-booster? Mini-selectable-bonus-booster.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Essence of Luck

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

Repetitive clicking? It’s only one click to ‘Consume All’. I, personally, do a lot less clicking with Essences of Luck, than I do with other items.

I honestly wouldn’t mind a “Consume All but One” option (or make consume all do this by default or an option for it to behave that way or something – because then it’s just one extra double-click to finish a stack) – I do the same thing as another poster with my inventory, let it stack, but I have to break the piles up before consuming all so that I can retain that inventory placeholder. OCD FTW.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Essence of Luck

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

They are both independent of each other.
Luck only serves to improve Magic Find, up to a certain point, and the amount of luck obtained from salvaging is not in any way affected by DR.

But, assuming you actually meant MF when you said “luck”, the answer is still very similar. The both systems sort of interact with each other, but they are independent.

MF improves basic drop chances (well, to be more precise, improves chances of getting better quality of the items dropped). The DR reduces quality of loot and drop chances, and seem to be so strong eventually, that any bonuses from MF might as well be nonexistent.

That makes sense. Yes, MF and DR would have to effect each other, and MF is the accurate term.

Essence of Luck

Posted by: schlake.2718

schlake.2718

I hate destroying things. What ANET needs to do is sell me more bank slots. It would kill me if I had to dispose of my 22 large guild discoveries to make room for my 8th stack of 250 tomes of knowledge.

Essence of Luck

Dark Lurker.2781

The main issue of Essence of Luck is that you can craft up to Exotic (200), but not Legendary (500) because they appeared after the crafting process and you can’t salvaged it back to Fine (10). Magic Find was very easy for me to maxed out, but Essence of Luck became obsolete as I consider it’s not “complete” yet. You are doomed if your guild doesn’t require anymore Essence of Luck exotic (200), because they become useless. When they programmed it, it was good in some ways if MF armors was abusive even so it was frustrating for those having them to lose them (no refund, no compensation). It was on table to program. Now that it can be developed now a bit more, it is now kinda on ice . Maybe I’m wrong and Anet doing something about it right now, but I doubt it. Making item “affected” or “not affected” by MF doesn’t mean you do something about it except get around the principal subject. As I said earlier, I didn’t saw any difference having maxed out my MF. I opened some items with 320% MF and got way much more better drops than with boosts and getting 575% MF. Is it giving a potential real advantage? I don’t think so, but it’s my opinion. I think also that reaching a great % we’ll make you “fall” down under zero instead of giving you the “real” bonus. If 500% MF is the greatest programmed MF, if you got only 1% when you reach 501%. I may be wrong, but it tends to be like that for me because the least I use boosters, the better drops I got. So, the point is that I consider, even if I’m wrong, that I’ve achieved something I consider nothing and I’d like to see Essence of Luck to become an item for something else (not undoing account bound ) but Mystic Forge convertible, vendor exchange/tokens, (more) crafting possibilities and, also, salvageable to give back lesser Essences. Can be an Essence eater, a Leprechaun giving money or materials (bags or simple ones) in exchange of pure luck, etc. I’m not asking something “abusive” for players. Not making gods over it, but making players happy to see some in inventory instead of looking at next day daily reward bag of luck with a depressed look.