Even reviewers of mmo's have noticed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

There’s been a ton of people who defend this title and their mismanagement of this title to the D day and I just wanna say it’s fine that you like the game, it’s great that you enjoy it, and no one is saying that you can’t, but there’s a ton of stuff wrong with the game so much so that we don’t think they’ll ever make a dent in it.

When I noticed their sales announcement the first thing that came to mind was *"wow, even they know (NCSOFT) it’s a monumental undertaking to fix the problems that an entire year of poor management decisions have made because now they are proposing an expansion, which is the only means to fix these problems."

Dontain makes great videos he helps people see the good and the bad with the game and he usually gives the developer he’s talking about hell when it comes to really bad game decisions (Like DR, he was one of the first ones to speak out about that mismanagement decision) So I trust his commentary on these issues in games, like me he remembers the countless other titles that lost so many of their players they crashed and closed down, and in games that didn’t have a sub they lost 60% of their players until they fixed the problem (like Diablo III).

In his video, Dontain talks about the fact that it’s okay to take the revenue you make from a title and use it for other games, however, the correct decision and the priority for your future development before anything else is the actual game that’s making money. You have to improve the game that is making the money and you have to make the right decisions to keep that game going. The bugs in the classes, the design flaws, the imbalance in PVE, the microcontent monthly (living story), the loot issues causing 400% inflation since last year, the cancelled just after launch projects like mobile apps, all point to this game being ignored entirely. This has been the reason why people have been complaining, not because someones a troll, not because people are being haters but because people know when they are getting the bad end of a deal, this needs to be remedied immediately

Here’s his video. I especially love the part where he talks about how when Blizzard took his money they took it and actually updated parts of the game that needed help. The UI that we all expect to be polished and fluid actually came from their pioneering in many cases, it is THE standard like it or not of how an mmo is supposed to be run. You update it you improve it you keep on adding features to it. The guild, trade ui, friend options, no lfg, not being able to see events in a zone on the main map, not having any new recipes for crafting really since launch cept holiday stuff that’s just as gone as the LS items when done, the focus on the mystic forge instead of on perfectly good crafting, the lack of minigames or alternative time wasters with rewards, the lack of rewards for doing anything in the game overall, all testament to what WoW has had to do to actually stay afloat, Blizz did most of their updates the same year as their launch because they KNEW they needed to in order to keep people interested. They updated even when there was no new content, they made improvements even without massive revenue.

Here’s where he talks about that

Sure people are going to say things like WoW isn’t a good example because they are a sub game, revenue is revenue. Doesn’t matter you still have to update your game and fix the bugs that have been there in some cases since launch. Or some will say WoW is a completely different experience, not when it comes to business, it’s a business.

And I used to hate that about WoW that they usually only made these changes people had been asking for for many years when they lost players but I think that was a great motivating force. Here they’re just like “meh they’ll continue to play no matter what” and I’m sad to say that’s probably true for some, but eventually it’s going to wear thin. Things like not having a calendar for the guild. Did you know that indie games are actually launching with things like that built right in? Event planning, alarms, the works. something simply like that should have been in an AAA title just like a LFG system when they decided to go all dungeon focused should have been their first priority.

Anyway hopefully this will open some eyes because there are these people who post in these forums that seem to have blinders on to what’s wrong.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

While I don’t disagree with much of what you said, I don’t believe that many have blinders on concerning the problems of the game. Many are just being patient in letting things get fixed. I see some of the same problems you do and I am certain the game company does too. I just have faith that these things will be corrected. There were many things wrong in GW1, but they always seemed to get fixed. Maybe not on my time table, but they happened.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Where are you seeing NCSoft saying anything about an expansion? In the Q1 results call they just had, they praised how well GW2 was doing and said that they weren’t thinking about an expansion yet since sales (box + gem) were still doing well.

Posted by: Arcadius.1247

Arcadius.1247

I dont see how this game is being ignored, with the massive amounts of additions and fixes since launch. To be honest I prefer the slow drip of free content to the gigantic additions of a paid expansion. Now I believe expansions will still be a good idea for expanding the world and adding new classes/races etc.

Here is a great video by wooden potatoes detailing all the changes/updates/fixes etc… done since launch.

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

OP, — Sorry, but no …. hell NO.

And trust me, you would be hard pressed to find a person that is more critical of many aspects of GW2 than myself. Most especially over what this game has evolved into, as opposed to what it what marketed as. That said, there is simply too much that is still “right” about this game to make the over-the-top claim that, “… but there’s a ton of stuff wrong with the game so much so that we don’t think they’ll ever make a dent in it.”

That is utter nonsense.

As a former player of WoW and LotRO, I can assure you, that this games problems and short-comings don’t even come close to those 2 prestigious games. And that is already mostly true after only 9 months of release.

As to the video you linked to, all I can say is: LOL

But to take that video seriously, you got to be kidding. Nothing more than a ranting young man talking about subjects that he really has very little understanding of, and whose details he is in no way privy to. Looks to me like just another young dude that is desperately seeking attention, and that takes cartoon video games far too seriously.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Ision.3207)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I’m not worried about anything.

So far, all the good stuff about the game overshadows the bad stuff by far, people are just grabbing a microscope to enlarge the problems.

tigirius.9014

While I don’t disagree with much of what you said, I don’t believe that many have blinders on concerning the problems of the game. Many are just being patient in letting things get fixed. I see some of the same problems you do and I am certain the game company does too. I just have faith that these things will be corrected. There were many things wrong in GW1, but they always seemed to get fixed. Maybe not on my time table, but they happened.

We lose faith when we see things like not immediately and unquestionably making PVE PVP WVW a separate behavior thing since launch in balance, and now that they are they aren’t going back and fixing all of the crap they’ve broken in PVE that’s causing the three pet classes to be weaker then the rest or condition users being weaker then everything making Zerker the only choice for dungeon runs for example.

There’s just way too much wrong.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

To everyone posting “Dontain says” threads: there have already been several threads promoting his video. Please stop spamming the board with new ones. I don’t know who Dontain is, but I’m guessing he’s a Youtuber/TwitchTVer who sent his minions to the four corners of the internet to promote his channel(s). Whoever he is, we don’t need three topics a day telling us what to think about Guild Wars. Most of us, I’m sure, can make up our own minds on the subject. Thanks.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

OP: I don’t think either of you were around for the first year of WoW. They had massive launch problems and didn’t even launch in EU until 6 months later. Even then they still had not learned that much to not make similar mistakes. If WoW launched today with those problems they wouldn’t last a month.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

OP, I enjoyed the video’s, and your well detailed written thread.

Criticism, Honesty, Commitment, Hard work and Collaboration are critical for any company success; in resulting; to Great Prosperities.

That I believe.

Once again,

OP

Great Post!!!

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

I’m enjoying this game more than any other MMO I’ve played. That’s the only review I’m worried about.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Does it have issues. Yes. Is it still fun? Hell yes.

What this guy has to say doesn’t concern me in the slightest. The only person’s opinion I care about over a game is mine. I’m having fun and getting my money’s worth. I think the monthly subscription is a particularly good deal.

Next topic.

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

To everyone posting “Dontain says” threads: there have already been several threads promoting his video. Please stop spamming the board with new ones. I don’t know who Dontain is, but I’m guessing he’s a Youtuber/TwitchTVer who sent his minions to the four corners of the internet to promote his channel(s). Whoever he is, we don’t need three topics a day telling us what to think about Guild Wars. Most of us, I’m sure, can make up our own minds on the subject. Thanks.

Anyone can make up their minds. Only the ones who know the facts and both sides of the story can make informed opinions and actually make a change for the better.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I don’t think anyone that plays the game called Guild Wars 2 can ever say that is “being ignored”, seriously that’s how a game being ignored is?

Event planning, alarms, the works. something simply like that should have been in an AAA title just like a LFG system when they decided to go all dungeon focused should have been their first priority.

And you again post the non-sense about Dungeon focused when are you going to drop that? This game was never ever focused on any kind of dungeon… seriously stop saying that in most of your posts.

darkace.8925

Anyone can make up their minds. Only the ones who know the facts and both sides of the story can make informed opinions and actually make a change for the better.

Facts? So everything in that video is factually correct? There’s no baseless speculation contained within? The facts presented aren’t slanted by the author’s subjective opinions?

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Who is this guy that made this video? Some celebrity youtuber?

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

Facts? So everything in that video is factually correct? There’s no baseless speculation contained within? The facts presented aren’t slanted by the author’s subjective opinions?

When one person says something, it is an opinion. When hundreds of people are saying it, it may still be an opinion but that means more people acknowledge it as a problem, no?

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

tigirius.9014

Well I can see the blinders are on full force in the replies. Keep holding your ears and making loud noises so you can’t hear anything folks, that’ll make a difference, right?

The quiet mouse gets the….nothing. No one knows he’s there. Wow just wow. Amazing. Not a single person sees the problems?

So let me just say this. When should we STOP being patient. When does it become too long of a wait, I mean it is coming up on the anniversary after all. When does doing nothing to fix the problems of the professions or improve the UI become a major issue?

The video from wooden potatoes btw shows exactly the other side of what we’ve been complaining about this whole time. The bugs he’s listed that were fixed mostly had to do with dungeons or WvW or pvp, tons and tons of bugs still exist and haven’t been touched on the open world PVE side of things and I think that’s a major issue as to why so many people are seeing their worlds become more and more sparse, players leaving left and right. Because it’s one thing to try to fix the problems of the people you’ve just newly decided to support (dungeoneers as the new focus came about in November) it’s another thing entirely to scare off every player you’ve attracted to the game prelaunch with promises of solid unending content that’s permanent and added on a permanent basis. Dontain was right when he said you have to update all aspects of the game to keep all of your players and if you don’t like WoW’s most recent expac has catered too much to casuals and not enough to hardcore then you’re going to lose players en mass.

Dontain also stated that he’s not going to be like the other posters like Woodenpotatoes (he didn’t name him I’m using him as an example) and post goodie two shoes videos to keep people happy and make everything seem peachy 24/7 for fear of not getting valuable information, that Dontain is going to post things that are wrong with the game because he cares about the game he’s invested in the game.

Everyone who’s purchased the game including me has invested in the game, so when I post things that are contraversial, it’s not because I hate anyone or hate the developers or hate the people with blinders on, it’s because you have to have complaints in order to improve products. That’s just the way things work in business and if you can’t take complaints with professionalism and make the appropriate changes to the product you’re in the wrong business.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

OP I love how everyone and his dog are currently quoting Dontain as if he is some authority- he took some info- made his own conclusions that is based on nothing but his own opinion and uses it to promote his own channel.

I can make up my own mind about the game. I don’t think it is perfect and I try and be as constructive as I can when I make suggestions on what i think needs to change.
I love GW2 and I have had and am having so much fun playing it.
Anet has done so much since this game launched to make it into a great game and I appreciate that, I really do.

I am also patient and I am willing to wait for thing to evolve as they will.

Gunnar’s Hold

tigirius.9014

I don’t think anyone that plays the game called Guild Wars 2 can ever say that is “being ignored”, seriously that’s how a game being ignored is?

Event planning, alarms, the works. something simply like that should have been in an AAA title just like a LFG system when they decided to go all dungeon focused should have been their first priority.

And you again post the non-sense about Dungeon focused when are you going to drop that? This game was never ever focused on any kind of dungeon… seriously stop saying that in most of your posts.

No I won’t stop saying it until they finally and at long last deliver what they promised us the open world should be. For example, what happens when a dungeon problem crops up, it’s fixed almost immediately no wait time no nothing.

What happens when the open world has a problem, we have to wait sometimes two months before they get around to it.

And then there’s the whole LS thing, that’s nowhere near what they said their open world updates would be, doing an activity in a single day and then waiting 28 days before you get new content is just ridiculous even if we were playing WoW it would be bad.

tigirius.9014

How long is too long? That’s the question. When does it become the problem that the developers are not delivering like they should? When does it become the issue of we’re not getting what we’ve paid for?

If they’re doing so darned great then why do the three weakest professions in PVE have pages upon pages of bugs still almost to the year anniversary? If they are making so much money (almost American Hip Hop Rapper style) money, then tell me why we are still only getting this lackluster LS crap in the open world when their very own interviews told us that making open world content is faster, cheaper, and can be done at the drop of a hat? How is it that we’re not seeing permanent non-dungeon content all the time?

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

How long is too long? That’s the question. When does it become the problem that the developers are not delivering like they should? When does it become the issue of we’re not getting what we’ve paid for?

I’m 100% sure we have gotten enough content of the 60 bucks we paid for, and now we don’t need to pay anything, it’s all free.

darkace.8925

Well I can see the blinders are on full force in the replies. Keep holding your ears and making loud noises so you can’t hear anything folks, that’ll make a difference, right?

What blinders? There are generally two camps who chime in on the “how’s the game” debate: the people who acknowledge the game has flaws but is a well-made and fun game and the people who baselessly claim the game is dying and ArenaNet is nothing but a band of crooks. The only blinders around here, outliers notwithstanding, are worn by the haters.

Posted by: Moderator.2608

Moderator.2608

Hi!
There is actually a thread regarding Dontain’s Video, you can find it here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/links/Talking-GW2-expansion-long-overdue/first#post2067718
Please use that thread for your feedback and concerns.
Thanks for your understanding, this thread is now locked.