Event/Monster spawns need reworking in my view

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Okay so I have played this game now since release and have several lvl 80s with world complete so I am no noob to this game and am very familiar with most of it especially regarding the areas.

Now I just found an issue that I have seen before but shrugged off to just something people should be able to avoid due to being familiar with the maps/events. In this case however I was proved wrong.

So there I was in Orr killing junk while trying to find a party for the story dungeon. I had just completed an event or 2 out in some random remote area near some edge of an area either a hill/mountain type thing they use for “walls” to create barriers to areas etc. I see a few mobs around me and decide to attack the nearest one to the wall as it seemed safe to not pull the other 2. Being an ele I cast my spell and watch the bar fill as it casts – Bang! 10 -12 mobs spawn right on top of me, spell goes off and hits half of them instantly giving me all agro and a very quick death.

I find this sort of inserting mobs for events VERY flawed. How can you just choose some random area with no indication that it could be VERY dangerous where people could think of as a relatively safe area to fight something?

This was against some wall/hill/mountain thing. Now if there was some kind of a “drawn” opening in said mountain where it could appear mobs could come out of thus giving you a sense of “be careful you may never know what might come from there” feeling I could accept this. But no, the spawns are completly random areas and unknown and just from “mid air” until you are hit by them.

Please look into changing this not only for logic’s sake but just plain good will to your players. This is the WORST form of griefing after the problem where people drag their mob trains to you. Yet this one is caused from the makers. :S

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Paulytnz.7619

No one else been stomped all over on like this before? Please don’t count bandits in queensdale, everyone should know where they are coming from and will spawn lol….

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

No one else been stomped all over on like this before? Please don’t count bandits in queensdale, everyone should know where they are coming from and will spawn lol….

Everyone has been stomped on like this…

IMHO, the biggest flaw in the game is the combination of mob density, respawn timers, and the way mobs spawn right on top of you – and not just event mobs.

How do you clear a path to some location you’re going to when mobs appear out of the air (or ground, if you’re talking Dredge)?

How do you choose a path to get from point A to point B if mobs are going to arbitrarily spawn on that path out of nowhere?

To add insult to injury, ANet steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem, instead claiming (in the forums) that respawn timers are all balanced… BS; I know an area where respawn is instantaneous.

My frustration with this game is that at least 50% of my five characters’ deaths have resulted from what I consider to be broken mechanics in he game, respawn and magical spawns out of nowhere being the biggest culprit.

Apparently, ANet doesn’t realize that people play games for fun; dying because of flawed mechanics isn’t fun.

The game very definitely is NRFPT (Not Ready For Prime Time); it needed another six months of Beta testing – real Beta testing, not the phony Beta testing used for marketing purposes.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Could be solved for DE’s by having gates open up that the monsters spawn forth from. These could be on a timer that allows a few seconds of “oh kitten” time to get out of the way (portals take time to activate on both ends as reasoning for delay). As for the fast respawn of the open world monsters, they should look at the players in the immediate area and reduce/increase the spawns appropriately.

Posted by: kelman.9451

kelman.9451

From my experience the PvE part of the game past lv50 needs work period, it looses its fun past this level it seems in PvE anyways. Too densely packed with mobs, lack of good content that was there in earlier level areas, and not enough variation or effort seem to be put in the quests the closer you get to lv80.

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Well IMO Id have to say the spawn rate is fine, in fact in some areas it needs to be made faster. Its so nice to have a game that offers some challenge and doesnt bend over every time a carebear sheds tears !

More mobs, more challenge plz
(trust me in the end you’ll appreciate it all the more)

:)

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

Paulytnz.7619

“Could be solved for DE’s by having gates open up that the monsters spawn forth from. These could be on a timer that allows a few seconds of “oh kitten” time to get out of the way”

This is a great idea and pretty much how it works in much of the lower areas I think. Well I know it does in Queeensdale for a few places like the bandit camps for example.

“How do you clear a path to some location you’re going to when mobs appear out of the air (or ground, if you’re talking Dredge)?”

This has frustrated me many times as well. Especially those dredge and even spiders that seem to fall from the sky that I assume are meant to be “coming down from trees” even when there are no visable trees nearby……. :S

“To add insult to injury, ANet steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem, instead claiming (in the forums) that respawn timers are all balanced… BS; I know an area where respawn is instantaneous.”

I have seen this instant respawn thing before too I think however tho it’s not a true instant respawn. What I think happens is it is another mob spawning that you killed a min or 2 ago that just happens to spawn where you are when it is probably set to respawn from a random spot out of probably 4-5. Respawning just after you kill another mob that spawned in the exact same spot would give the appearance of an instant respawn.

“The game very definitely is NRFPT (Not Ready For Prime Time); it needed another six months of Beta testing – real Beta testing, not the phony Beta testing used for marketing purposes.”

I think I will limit what I reply to this for fear of getting an infraction lol. But I will go as far as to say that I think 2-3 days testing a char always from lvl 1 really does NOTHING to help test the higher levels/areas of the game and I think that is why we are seeing a lot of frustrating problems in these parts of the game. There was just not a lot of testing done for them……..in a way we are all testing it now for them.

Thanks for your replies guys.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I have and in Orr, it’s happened a couple of times, died horribly. I spawned at a Way Point and continued on, true story.

I get the gamers side of this about spawns and too many… But there is also the part where it could be too slow and too few and to me, at least when you do have a nice sized group, it’s kitten fun mowing down tons of baddies and not a boring one at a time, then another, swarms are good fun and good for loot.

Since it’s dynamic, yes you can get yourself caught in a bad spot once in a while, I’m not sure what the real issue is you died. If your space ship in asteroids goes boom, did you go to the Coin Op attendant and complain? Go mine 1 or 2 mithral deposits, costs covered.

Paulytnz.7619

I am not complaining about dying I am complaining about silly spawn points in areas where there is NO indication that there could be. Would it be possible in life that a group of people just appeared out of thin air next to you or on you and just start beating you up? No you would see them coming that is the point I am trying to make here.

I am sure in Asteroids you would see the asteroid coming at you too. However if 1 just appeared right next to you or on top of you, not giving you time to react to it you too might then be a bit annoyed about it…..

Posted by: Kingfisher.7213

Kingfisher.7213

Oh sure, lots of us have seen what you’ve described.

About 3 months ago, ArenaNet said they were looking into the respawn rates:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Are-respawn-rates-being-worked-on/page/2#post1194620

We are trying to adjust respawn rates in areas where the non event related respawns are just too fast. We know it can be a problem and we’ve already slowed down some spawns, but we also know there are more areas out there we need to look at.

If we know the map area and creature(s) involved we can usually find the spawns pretty quickly, so if you know of problem spots please give us as much information as you can and we’ll look into the spawns in those areas whenever we get a chance. Thanks!

Just today in Southsun Shore, I killed a young Karka, and a few seconds after I had looted it, another spawned from its original spot and attacked me right away.

He hit me once as I took a screen capture, but in the picture below, you can see the body of the previous mob didn’t have time to disappear yet:

Yesterday, I had 3 Veteran spiders respawn back to back in the same spot (within 5 seconds of killing the previous one).

No screen capture for that one, I submitted a bug report that day.

It was in the cave where the Champion spider Gargantula is.

I failed to kill Gargantula before the timer ran out, and he despawned after he killed his captive. In his place, a Veteran spider descended a web into the cave.

I killed it and his 2 reincarnations. I ended up running out of the cave after I saw him respawn a 4th time.

Attachments:

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

“I have seen this instant respawn thing before too I think however tho it’s not a true instant respawn. What I think happens is it is another mob spawning that you killed a min or 2 ago that just happens to spawn where you are when it is probably set to respawn from a random spot out of probably 4-5. Respawning just after you kill another mob that spawned in the exact same spot would give the appearance of an instant respawn.

Nope, in this case it is an actual instant respawn.

I had taken my mid-50’s level Charr Ranger to a level 15+ zone to farm for crafting materials (Tiny Totems, Tiny Venom Sacs, Tiny This, Tiny That…) since they don’t drop in enough quantity through normal play, and for map exploration. I found an area where the mobs spawn at one location and run to another a short distance away; you can attack them enroute and they ignore you, not fighting back until they reach their destination.

With a long bow, it is possible to position yourself midway between the spawn point and the destination, engage the mob as it spawns, and let the pet finish it off… With a yellow bow, I was doing a lot of damage (FWIW, scaling really doesn’t work that well; I was mowing down mobs) and the pet could finish the mob off quickly while I engaged the next mob.

I’d see the XP banner on screen and an instant later, the mob respawned and I’d re-engage.

I quit doing this after a very short time because I considered it to be an exploit; I reported it as such. But, I could have farmed that location all day long… although I would have been bored to tears…

I found another area yesterday very similar, only in this other area, the mobs instantly respawn and then don’t move, so it is very clearly an instant respawn. I was on my mid-50’s Mesmer this time (same zone as the other instant respawn for the same reason) and again was mowing down the mobs (the clones evidently don’t scale well, either), and it was very obvious: XP banner followed by instant pop of a new mob.

Anyway, ANet has no credibility with me anymore. I’ve seen too many examples of this and other failed mechanics.

If you define “challenge” as something that requires you to think to overcome an obstacle, then there is no challenge in GW2. There are only artificial mechanics players can’t overcome through thought or skill because they have no way to react.

(edited by Lord Kreegan.8123)

Kingfisher.7213

Here is a summary of mob respawns, which ArenaNet issued a couple of days ago:

There was an earlier thread about this, the TL;DR version is:
- Respawn times are NOT 15s outisde of events, 95-120s is the typical range
- A lot of factors can make the respawn seem faster—if monsters in the same spawn group are being killed elsewhere they might respawn in your location (they don’t reappear in the same spot)
- Closed locations like caves can make you run over the same area repeatedly, causing you encounter respawns where you would normally (in an open area) have already moved on
- Orr in general is a known problem, and the base spawns are being toned down as I type this

In general, if you can provide a specific location where the respawn rate seems out of whack, I can look at it, but in almost every case I’ve looked at, the respawn times were well over a minute.

It came from this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Intensely-Aggravating-PvE-creature-re-spawns/first#post1198763

However, I came across a situation similar to what Lord Kreegan saw with predictable, very fast respawns.

I completed a Dynamic Event called “Protect Seraph’s Landing” in Harathi Hinterlands. The landing connects to Greystone Rise.

To the right of the Seraph’s Landing waypoint, there is a small dock.

I noticed a bandit swim up from the nearby swamp to try to steal supplies from the dock.

I killed the bandit. However, less than 10 seconds later, a new one spawned and also ran to the dock to try to steal supplies.

I must have killed about 15 of these bandits, all reliably respawning within 10 seconds and running that straight line to the supplies.

I don’t remember them trying to attack me either. They were pretty focused in their attempt to grab those supplies.

I ended up submitting a bug report and moving on to some other area.

There were no other players I could see nearby killing things to generate this respawn, as I had competed the previous Dynamic Event by myself.

Also, this mob was relatively distinct from other mobs in the area (centaurs on land, and barracuda in the water), so I doubt other bandits were being killed nearby.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

To the right of the Seraph’s Landing waypoint, there is a small dock.

I noticed a bandit swim up from the nearby swamp to try to steal supplies from the dock.

I killed the bandit. However, less than 10 seconds later, a new one spawned and also ran to the dock to try to steal supplies.

I must have killed about 15 of these bandits, all reliably respawning within 10 seconds and running that straight line to the supplies.

I don’t remember them trying to attack me either. They were pretty focused in their attempt to grab those supplies.

That kind of enemy is linked to the Heart in an area. In your case, it’s linked to the “Protect Seraph’s Landing” heart. Since killing those enemies allows players to advance the heart, and they do not attack players, the respawn rate is exactly what it should be. The same thing happens in multiple other hearts.

That isn’t an issue. The fast respawn rates of a lot of Orr enemies, in other hand, is.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Kingfisher.7213

Good point Erasculio.

I overlooked the mention of bandits when I was completing the objecives:

• Feed the animals using sacks of chicken feed and the bull feed pile.
  • Troops can be fed using meals from Innkeeper Lindy.
  • Kill raiding centaurs and bandits, and put out any fires that they start.
  • Hit centaur buildings north of the camp with siege weapons.

However, the Young Karka screenshot wasn’t associated with any Dynamic Event.