Event Suggestions

Event Suggestions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lucius.7804

lucius.7804

Dear GW2 Devs,

My name is William, or lucius when online. I’m an avid player of your game and thoroughly enjoy it.

Due to the aim of making players explore the world of Tyria and the goal to make events less static and more fun to participate in, I have come up with an idea for events that you may like to include in the expansion or even the base game. I hope you take the time to read through my thoughts.

The Event:

World events, although great fun and rewarding, can become very static after a long time of playing, even though still fun. I think a fix to this would be to have a timed event spawn randomly in Tyria. The spawning of this event will not be revealed in plain sight. The goal is to search for the event and find it in the world rather than the location to be obvious to the experienced player.

Players, however, normally go for the lazy way and won’t search for the event unless there’s a reason. To combat this I suggest making the event much more rewarding, similar to The Great Jungle Wurm. This will encourage players to actively search for the event, encouraging exploration of the world at the same time.

Even if large groups of players work together to find the event, it is still a positive. This is because players will have to communicate, helping to keep the positive friendly environment that everyone has grown to love.

Creation:

I know creating an event like this is a lot of work so it may not seem ideal, but you could have a pool of possible places in which the creature can spawn and it will pick one at random. This means, rather than coding for truly random spawns, you can easier tie it into the lore of the world and it makes it easier to code.

I know choices you make need a reason which ties into the story of the world so I have thought of a few ideas.

Dragon:

Dragons, being a large part of the lore, would seem to be a good reason. A dragon could be flying the world, finding a place to start its curse. The dragon can swoop down at points in the map, settle, and start to spread its curse throughout the area in which it infects. This way, it will take less work to create, as the dragon doesn’t need to be themed to a specific area; It simply flies throughout Tyria.

Pool Mobs:

If the creation or re-use of a dragon doesn’t appeal to you, then you could have a pool of a few bosses, each possibly with a small pool of 2 or 3 locations to spawn. This could make the events much more suited to the possible locations in which it will appear, staying with the theme of the areas.

Mordremoth:

Not knowing for sure as I haven’t seen the expansion, but Mordremoth to me seems similar to the pale tree, spreading through the world with its roots with one main body, which, in this case can move freely as a dragon when it has enough power. To tie this event into the expansion, you could have Mordremoth’s roots sprouting in places throughout Tyria as his curse grows in power. These sprouts, being a body of Mordremoth, will have great power that causes great devastation. The players’ job, as a global event, is to hunt down these sprouts and kill them before Mordremoth’s power grows too strong throughout Tyria.

I believe this will bring a lot to the world of Tyria; Bringing it to life much more and encouraging players to explore and work together to achieve a greater challenge. To my knowledge, this hasn’t been done in an MMO before, but when have you not pushed to achieve new feats in games. It is what makes your game, along with the beauty and story, a much higher class than the competition.

I hope you consider this as an Idea and I’m looking forward to HoT. Thank you for creating such a great and beautiful world in which for the players to escape to and have fun.

Thanks for reading and I apologise for making you read my very large email,

- Will

As you can see, I wrote this as an email then realised that’s not a good way to contact you so react to it how you wish

Vabbi – ele – [UKUS] – Rowyna Flame

Event Suggestions

Posted by: Vyx.8607

Vyx.8607

Biggest problem is that chat is generally restricted to a zone. You’ll cut down a lot of participation because people simply won’t be able to hear where it is. Moving in a zone, maybe, moving around the world will likely kill the event.

Henge of Denravi – Denravi Alliance [DA]
WvW Community: Forums, Videos, GvG – http://www.gw2wvw.net

Event Suggestions

Posted by: lucius.7804

lucius.7804

yeh :/ but there may be a way around that which I haven’t seen

Vabbi – ele – [UKUS] – Rowyna Flame