Event failure and toxic behavior

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This has been happening for way too long, and it still happens.

Some players are doing their own thing, getting map rewards from events, then some squad comes along with a large number of players, upscale the event, ignore the objectives to force it to fail, and worse of all, harass anyone who just wants to play the game as intended.

They are exploiting that some events recharge faster and spawn more enemies that drop loot at the expense of the fun of other players.

This needs to stop. Players harassing other players, forcing them to fail and falsely reporting them for playing the game as intended happening even once is once too many times.

No event should reset faster when failed. No benefit should come from failing.

This also includes giving any reason to fail events or benefit from failing, such as collections that can only be completed by doing events that happen after a failed event.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As you well know, ANet can’t make any adjustments without specific examples of which events are being forced to fail. As you well know, ANet doesn’t suspend anyone just because there are multiple /reports, regardless of the details.

Which events are resetting faster after failure and offer better rewards? Which collections still depend on an event failing? Which organized group of players are harassing others (that last, of course, you would send to exploit@arena.net or submit a support ticket, rather than naming them here).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: preacher.9370

preacher.9370

Best example would be temple events in Cursed Shore, namely Grenth’s. Running around there doing map completion a few days ago and seeing chat filled with people complaining about others defending Grenth’s rather then letting it fail.

Also so would see people say its taking to long to reset, so they assumed people were there defending.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Hah! Yes, I remember the map chats, it also happens at 2 o’clock on the morning. I am still rather baffled about all the complaints in the chat of the two player fractions – one that want it to fail as soon as possible and the other ones that struggle and drag it out even longer.

Stupid to read, but very amusing as well.

Excelsior.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

at the expense of the fun of other players. This needs to stop.

So your fun is worth more than their fun? Not sure I’m understanding that properly. Also not sure why you’re telling us it needs to stop, we can’t do anything about it.

Players harassing other players, forcing them to fail and falsely reporting them for playing the game as intended

Isn’t that what you are doing?

This also includes giving any reason to fail events or benefit from failing, such as collections that can only be completed by doing events that happen after a failed event.

Haven’t these all been fixed now?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Best example would be temple events in Cursed Shore, namely Grenth’s. Running around there doing map completion a few days ago and seeing chat filled with people complaining about others defending Grenth’s rather then letting it fail.

Also so would see people say its taking to long to reset, so they assumed people were there defending.

Jofast’s Camp is a big one also.

at the expense of the fun of other players. This needs to stop.

So your fun is worth more than their fun? Not sure I’m understanding that properly. Also not sure why you’re telling us it needs to stop, we can’t do anything about it.

Not true. Players could just … not let events fail. Therefore, players can do something about it; they can not perpetuate that behaviour. It’s not a case of “can’t”, it’s a case of “wont” and will remain that way unless ArenaNet decides to further incentivise that particular event’s success over failure.

I have to smile when a small group of people successfully complete an event against all odds that others are trying to overscale and fail. Why? Because people can use Caps Lock in all chat to rant all they want but there’s nothing in the rules to stop people successfully completing an event.

Players harassing other players, forcing them to fail and falsely reporting them for playing the game as intended

Isn’t that what you are doing?

I’m not sure that any player could successfully argue that ArenaNet designed events with the vision that players would not want to complete them. As you noted they have already fixed collections which required failed events. I think that’s evidence enough that events aren’t meant to be failed whether or not some players find this “fun”.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

You know what they are doing is wrong. No event is intended to fail. And doing something unintended to get more rewards than they would get if hey did it as intended is the very definition of exploiting a bug for profit. Trying to make up excuses for a toxic behavior to get more profit at the expense of players who are playing as intended may be ‘fun’ for them, but it’s not fun for the victims of their behaviors, and in no way good for the game itself.

[…]
Jofast’s Camp is a big one also.
[…]

That’s one of the worse cases, as the event will spawn a champion wraith and a plaguebearer that will quickly wipe out anyone when upscaled, as their defiance bars must be depleted or they will just keep sucking the life out of anyone around, and quickly destroy the objects that must be protected to succeed.

Troll squads will have their players hide behind the wall to keep the event upscaled, making the event impossible for anyone else, while they harass, insult, mock and belittle anyone who was just trying to get their next map bonus reward or their daily done.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m With Mith!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

There are events required for collections in Orr that require a map to fail. Good luck finding one.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

There are events required for collections in Orr that require a map to fail. Good luck finding one.

Like? Last I checked, those collections were fixed to also allow completion of the defense events.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Like? Last I checked, those collections were fixed to also allow completion of the defense events.

That may be true, but the collection doesn’t make that clear. One example is that I recently did the Astralaria collections. I had to kill the Eye of Zhaitan in the promenade or w/e its called. I didn’t know I could do the HighWizard defense event, I found that out accidentally. The wiki and the collection itself don’t say this. Which reminds me I need to add that to the wiki when I get home.

Posted by: BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

BinkyofFuraffinity.4629

Malchor’s Demise for Twilight 1 : to clear the Cathedral of Zephyrs requires that the risen priestess of Dwyana takes it over. To do that the NPC Historian Vermoth has to die. If the Risen Priestess is killed then the event succeeds and the temple remains in pact control, resetting the time to 2 hours again before the event will activate once more in an attempt for the priestess to take over.

If the Priestess takes over and the event “fails”, then you can bring malchor to the area through event chains to defeat the Possessed statue of Dwayna, giving you the “Malchor’s Demise” for Twilight 1. So there are still collection items bound to event-failure.

Unless i am mistaken? If so, i apologize. I just got back into the game after a year away. Making Nevermore when it first came out was a nightmare because of the event-failure requirements, and Arena net stated they’d fix it so things werent connect to failed events. Are things still the same as they were a year prior? are we still required to fail events for collections? This is a genuine question.

(edited by BinkyofFuraffinity.4629)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yeah, it’s typical bad/exploitative game design that most people excuse as good because its fun to get faster loot no matter the gameplay.

I mean, i understand that some exploits are great “fun” because most MMO gameplay is based around getting the most loot for the least effort, and letting events like jofast camp or defending temples fail is then one of those methods. It’s still fairly unintuitive to deliberately try to fail anything in the game.

I think I may have opted for unwinnable events across the game before, so things would always reset (completely) at some point, so event cycles that are unidirectional also get pushed back and or reset. I think ulgoths centaur event chain had this problem also pretty often where the “campaign” against the centaurs left the map mostly empty because it was pushed to the last camp most of the time. A similar problem, where the map just gets boring as previous events don’t reward more anyway, so nothing needs to fail.

While event chains that have a persistent effect are still pretty interesting, they just don’t work well in a system which makes failure of events basically non existent in an active map with normal gameplay. Thus once you try to find out the most amount of rewards or fun you need to fail the event in order to get that event you want to witness or farm.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Experienced something similar in Dry Top. Saw someone fighting a boss, thought I was helping. Apparently the boss wasn’t supposed to be killed (???) and I was promptly told to go “kill myself”. Kinda puts a damper on any desire to lend a hand.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Experienced something similar in Dry Top. Saw someone fighting a boss, thought I was helping. Apparently the boss wasn’t supposed to be killed (???) and I was promptly told to go “kill myself”. Kinda puts a damper on any desire to lend a hand.

Skritt Queen? Or Sand Giant? Or not during the sandstorm. I could see someone not wanting help at the Sparring Rock boss because effect spam of other players could obscure the knockbacks.

Either way – this sort of thing happens in Dry Top because Dry Top is an absolutely horrifically-designed map, as far as the events go. Unlike the Frostgorge or old Queensdale event train, getting full rewards from this map requires a full hour of organization and commitment. The events are tied tightly to the timer, and the rewards are tied to the progress made during the calm.

Sand Giant usually isn’t fought because it takes the entire Sandstorm to kill. But nobody should really care if you fight him or not.

Skritt Queen opens halfway through the sandstorm, but requires the map to have made it to Tier 4 during the calm. However, there are several other events that spawn at the same time. I think most people have written Skritt Queen off as a loss, though, because of the Quartz (Did I mention that Dry Top is a completely bullkitten-designed map?) That said – it’s generally polite to run carefully around the edge to avoid aggroing her if you’re just popping into the map for the quartz.