Ever thought about going back to GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

Not really sure the true point of this thread. Was wondering if anyone has thought about going back to Guild Wars? Haven’t really played gw2 much lately. Played quite a bit at the beginning of 2015 when HoT was announced. After a few weeks, I maybe logged a few hours every month or 2 until HoT’s release. But when HoT came out…the fun wasn’t really there. Just recently went back to gw1 and I’m actually really enjoying it. Working on my 2nd LDoA, but also going through post prophecies story. There’s still people, but the population is low. I definitely preferred gw1 over gw2 but I had done so much in gw1 that I needed something new, and that’s when gw2 came in. However, gw2 eventually became stale. SO, after a few years break from gw1 it’s actually really refreshing and fun..and i do feel that sense of achievement again.
Overall, have any of you thought about returning to OG guild wars? I’m finally back and I’m loving it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do go back to GW1 periodically. I don’t play it nearly as much as I used to, but I still play it.

Honestly I prefer GW2. The two are very different, and it’s fun to play both, but I find there’s more things from GW2 I miss than the other way around. Like being able to move during combat, use ‘deposit all collectables’, not needing ID kits to see if my loot is good. The main things I miss from GW1 are the variety of attack types and the ability to move skills around your bar.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

never, I#d do this only practically for Achievement Points and the few Titles that are left for me through the HoM …

but when I think about the massive grind that id have to do in GW1 just to get my last few needed points done to get the AP and titles that are left for me in a game, that is nearly dead player since GW2 got release that you hardly get groups ect. for the stuff you need done, compared to like 6 years ago before GW2 got announced and then later released….

Theres is absolutely no motivation also at all to return to GW1 as a GW2 player.
The situation would be I guess different, when Anet would make in GW1 some kind of events or so, that also motivate GW2 players to return occasionally back to GW1 by luring them with some kind of rewards they get then for GW2, when they participated with their GW1 characters in them to receive something that can be placed then into your HoM to get that reward also for GW2.

If Anet would do such things, I think that would refresh the GW1 community alot more oftenly, and be it just only for short times, but alot of people, including me, see absolutely no sense anymore in returning to GW1, when it is practically a waste of time, that could have been spent alot better in GW2 progress, when you get absolutely nothing out of it for returning to GW1.

In that time that you waste by returning to GW1, you could have made tons of gold for GW2 to progress rather there in your goals to achieve maybe a skin that you want or somethign else.
But when i would get lured to come back to GW1, because theres a unique event, that rewards me also with somethign coool looking that I can receive also for GW2, then this is somethign totally different, because then I would know, its the only way to receive that thing and if I like it so much, that I want to desperately get it.. then I would also have no problems with returnign for a while to GW1 in a heartbeat if I get at least also something for that for GW2 that I can actually use then there also.

I think this is somethign that anet should have done already alot more much earlier, instead of practically indirectly abandoning GW1 after the release of GW2 like they did, letting GW1 slowly but surely bleed out, because a game, that never again receives new content, will die out sooner or later, especially if theres nothing done for player retention to do somethign to bring the active playing veterans that moved all over to GW2 back – at least sometimes.
Especially for a game, thats so much focused on fashion, it should be the easiest thing to do for Anet one should believe to draw attention from GW2 players to return every now and then to GW1 by rewarding them with new fashion that you can get only this way…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

No. No urge to go back.

I go back occasionally, for nostalgia and to open birthday presents, and I’ll take a team of heroes out and the maps feel dead now. No one is out there. There’s no events popping up anywhere. It’s just me standing out there with my heroes and mobs making their endless circuits on their preprogrammed paths.

If I’m in a starter zone, there’s no scaling and I one shot everything. When I perform a skill, I’m rooted to that spot. If I come across a inch high ledge, I can’t step over it. Many of the maps funnel me along on pathways surrounded by unclimbable walls on each side.

It’s the same as it ever was and the differences are too glaring for me to enjoy that game anymore.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Cedric Ambidexter.9174

Cedric Ambidexter.9174

I play random arenas once in a while just for fun. But never pve – nobody’s online.

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

I still log in, mainly when there’s an event going on. And just to get a feeling of “the old days”. I have considered making a new character and doing one last complete playthrough but have been putting the idea off because of lack of motivation. And as others have said, the game feels “dead”. Without at least one other person with me, going out and doing stuff feels so lonely.

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I definitely want to, still got some titles to get, but after the game went fully automatic, I started getting lags and terrible rubberbands. It’s unplayable

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I got bored of GW2/HoT so I made a new Dervish last week. Decided to play through Nightfall like a total newbie would (i.e. not using my unlocked skills, existing money and equipment, etc.), completing all quests that I come across, taking it slow. I just got to Kourna and I’ve been having a lot of fun. This is just my opinion but I’ve been enjoying the story and writing a lot more than HoT’s. Idk, the stakes somehow feel higher than with Mordremoth.

The game is dead outside of the major hubs but there are many active guilds. Just joined one and it’s been quite social. I do miss jumping and casting on the move but the mechanics don’t really call for them so it’s NBD.

Plus, the Dervish is just an amazing profession to play. I absolutely hate that they didn’t bring it back in GW2.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Was wondering if anyone has thought about going back to Guild Wars? Haven’t really played gw2 much lately.

I’ve tried …and I just… cannot.

• Pressing [spacebar]: not only does it not allow me to jump, but … sometimes I end up attacking a foe!
  • I have to stop to use (most) skills!
  • There’s no TP, so what do I do with all my valuable but unwanted items? Stop playing and hang out in Kamadan?
  • All the meta events are in…towns?

That said, I have gone back to help people score some HoM points. Fortunately, my stellar team of heroes is still OP’d enough even if I can’t remember how to play.

Also, I know about half-dozen people who go back to GW1 because they find it relaxing, at least in the sense, that there’s no pressure to get stuff done quickly. However, since that’s how I play GW2, it’s not a big incentive for me.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I do go back and play GW1. I have a few things left I would like to do. I’ve 100% mapped the whole world, I’m slowly working on skill caps. Need to finish eye of the north on HM, and some of the missions in prophecies. Will probably go back an do them once I’ve hit 80 in PvP. As i don’t really have any goals in GW2 after that.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I tried. I really, really tried, but after certain points . . . I just couldn’t stomach it anymore.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: malachi.7503

malachi.7503

I bought gw1 trilogy/eye of the north recently. It looks nothing like I remember from many years ago, which is probably good. I don’t understand the class combo system, but I’m learning slowly. I was thinking of buying those hero slots but decided against it once I realized that the henchmen hero already fulfills the same role for free. Its a much slower paced game than gw2 and seems to be more solo friendly. alittle old school rpg elements with a modern twist here and there. I don’t play it much, mostly because I don’t understand some of the game mechanics.

No Retreat No Surrender

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I do go back off and on,and have been working on getting my HoM points higher. But its a bit harder to get some stuff done since there isn’t as many people around.

I still need to finish the mapping, grind for rare armour and get some more Heroes upgraded. Funtimes.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I do go back a couple times a week, chat with some old friends, visit Nicholas, and work on some titles.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Earendil Starsailor.4675

Earendil Starsailor.4675

I go back to GW1 every now and then. On the one hand, I miss a lot of things about GW1 (the armor, the story, heroes, being able to directly trade with another player, the variety of pvp, being able to save and load builds onto my characters and their heroes, etc.); on the other, I soon get frustrated that I can’t jump or dodge, as well as with the slower pace. And no gliding. If they combined the best parts of GW1 with the best parts of GW2, they’d have an unbeatable game.

If they ever released another expansion to GW1, though, I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

If GW1 gave the ability to dodge and jump I would go back for sure. GW1 had a decent amount of things that actually had some challenge to them and a team mechanic. I feel like GW2 has more players but much less synergy. No need for anyone to use protects/heals/stuns/debuffs/buffs etc on you because its either dodge or die, most other things aside from speed clearing with max might don’t matter.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I actually went back to gw1, just need time and see what needs to e done there got a lot of quest to make.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Animism.6849

Animism.6849

I’m already back on GW1. UW is alive!!!!!

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I quite enjoy GW, I like the combat (ritualist)…
I still love the festivals and outside of those I do some random things. Try collecting traveler items, get Zaishen bounties or missions, farm something, or sort my item collections or whatever.

I don’t like any too difficult stuff though so I haven’t even beaten most of the game. I just wander around.

let the sky fall

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

I loaded it up just yesterday to finish titles. I keep finding myself trying to dodge or questioning why im running so slow. I really missed the ability to mix different classes.

I don’t really mind that it’s not as populated I disliked a good portion of the population for being so helpless. The lack of challenges made it worst to the point where I ended up playing with others emotions – If you were illusioned of life during a world boss, portaled up to jormag to die behind the ice wall, portaled to center of lava there was a strong chance that it was my doing. I also enjoy get the hot snipers attention and then quickly taking cover behind some unsuspected player only for them to get instagibed.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I never left GW1, it’s still my favorite game (tied with FFIX but completely different genre) but it is kinda dead now, yet has a very loyal community still. Great people, great gameplay, but the urge for new content brings me back to GW2 more often.

If they made a GW1 xpac and still supported the game honestly I would quit GW2 indefinitely.

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

I constantly play it. There’s no nostalgia or anything like that. It’s just a game that I enjoy that vastly better than GW2

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

If Arena Net released content for Guild Wars one regularly like they used too I would be still be playing it to this day.

Unfortunately they abandoned content creation for the game and put it in maintenance mode, no new content mean I will unlikely ever be going back. Only so many times you can play the same content before it looses its appeal.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”