Everyone Needs Data - Explained

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blaqwolf.1264

Blaqwolf.1264

Okay, the nifty but uninformative ‘state of the economy’ blog was a whole lot of hot air about nothing… the trading post is dead and not likely to be repaired in a way that makes crafting for earnings worthwhile (think: Eve Online).
Crafting for your own personal use, yes, works just fine… but when you have to make 5k useless, unsellable items for a huge income loss just to get to a point where the items you craft are usable at your level… ehhhh pointless.

Anyway, the point of my post:
When you insert a graph into your blogs, do us the kindless of explaining each little block of data it contains. The M/F is easy to figure, but unless you know what you’re looking at on the others (those icons are meaningless because the graph cannot be made big enough to identify the ones that can be identified) are so much garbage.
Or, hey… you guys are web heads – build the graph so that you can mouse over each subgraph or bar or whatever and get a floating tooltip that explains what you’re looking at.
The one in John Smith’s blog… utter garbage.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I wouldn’t have said this as harshly, but I agree with the point. If you’re going to give us data, put some numbers and real info in there.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

The icons are self-explanatory. (Character?) gender, character profession, race, and the type of crafting, but I had issues figuring out what the bars themselves meant.

I assume it’s the number of characters engaging in crafting by those filters but who knows.

Anyway, I would like to emphasize that data is good and should be given to us, just a bit of effort could go into explaining things too.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: DirtyHoudini.2917

DirtyHoudini.2917

I would like it to be more informative, i feel a lot of information is hidden or left out because they will think it will confuse people

Posted by: Primal Zed.9714

Primal Zed.9714

What exactly needs explaining? It’s a straigthforward bar graph of characters by gender, job, race, and profession.

No, they aren’t going to give the Y-axis numbers. That’s really not relevant anyway, it’s about the ratios.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Some info on how they came up with those numbers. Are they pulling every character and ever crafter regardless of level? Is there a cuttoff? Any info is good info.

Posted by: Saber.7809

Saber.7809

Labeling each bar would be nice. I didn’t play GW1 and I jumped right into GW2, and 75% of the graph was unintelligible because I don’t know the symbols.

The Starflyer is real!

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

how 2 read graph?

Seriously, I’m laughing quite a bit right now. Also, if you think Eve’s economy is some shining example of how to do it right, take a look at a graph of PLEX prices over the years. You might notice something.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

Erm, where does the data come from for that graph that was linked? This sort of thing is really useful (and a bit more self explanatory than OP seems to state, at least for the class ratios) However, again where is the data coming from, was it a survey? coz it just looks like something that someone made up, or maybe surveyed a few hundred people which would birth mostly pointless results on a global scale.

That Male to Female ratio, that is simply character gender not player gender right? otherwise I definitely call fake.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Yes, Bassario… the people running the game right now would never have access to the data they’d need to make those graphs.

Seriously, where are these people coming from?

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

If you take the time to read and think about my short post…. I am actually asking “WHERE DID THIS DATA COME FROM” like… multiple times :P

And you come along and say… “geeez you are so dumb for not knowing that its official data” … wow….. just wow.

Umm, furthermore now that I know this graph was made by the devs… this is just the data I wanted to know, that is fantastic and how does the OP not understand it?? Sure I wish it was more detailed (numbers please) but it states from top left to right: Male to female character ratio, class ratio (just as I expected warrior is most played and mesmer is least), then which race is being played the most and finally which crafting professions are most active.

Lol! Further-furthermore: I play a charr-mesmer as my main which according to that chart is a combination of the least played race combined with the least played class Hooray for individuality!

(edited by Bassario.3465)