Everyone stop complaining about ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jatacid.3725

Jatacid.3725

Stop complaining as if this is the end of the game doom-all end-all bring forth the cataclysm wtfgtfo ihatethisgameiquit rage posts.

Think about it. Guild Wars 2 as a compeltely new game.

If they didn’t have ascended gear, or even legendaries for that matter. EVERYone even casual players. Would complain about the lack of end game gearing. You just get a basic crafted exotic and thats it? Nothing more to it?

Luckily, they released the game with Legendaries, which gives the players a big, long term, difficult goal to work towards.

If Guild Wars 2 released with the Ascended tier in place, there wouldn’t be anyone complaining about it.

It is an end-game gearing step up that you can work for. It doesn’t take that long. It isn’t that hard.

It seriously makes sense that you have all slots with just your run-of-the-mill ascended items as a casual to moderate player. Exotics just simply don’t cut it for that ’I’ve reached the last tier’ feeling.

Guild Wars 2 needs ascended gear. While yes, it DID go against their ‘Manifesto’ or whatever about adding a gear treadmill, but don’t blow it out of proportion.

This gear is no harder to obtain than a Legendary, it’s not completely necessary to obtain them, and it really does standardize their offerings for end game gear.

Why would you have ascended backpieces or jewellery, but not any other slot?

So, stop complaining so much. The tier makes a lot of sense from a game design perspective. It doesn’t go against their manifesto too much. If it was in the game from the beginning most of you wouldn’t have thought 2 seconds about it.

Instead of complaining about how Ascended is bad, try thinking of ways where they could make horizontal progression if you don’t want them to continue adding tiers beyond this.

They explicitly said they wouldn’t add tiers above this – this is really just completing the game tbh. So what about horizontal options? How would you do it?

Turn your unconstructive and completely misguided complaints about Ascended gear into a positive direction for GW2. Tell the devs what you want out of end game instead of throwing a bubble fit about an item tier that makes lots of sense for Guild Wars 2 as a game.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Colin, Eurogamer, September 2011. So in a grand total of 2 years they did a 180° turn on this important game design choice. I wonder what’s in store for 2014.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Jatacid.3725

Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It’s all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions – a lot of that is still up in the air and we’ll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons – the raids.”

Colin, Eurogamer, September 2011. So in a grand total of 2 years they did a 180° turn on this important game design choice. I wonder what’s in store for 2014.

But everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80, CAN have the best statistical loot in the game with Ascended. IT IS an equal footing!

And 180 degree turn? Hardly at all! They also stated that Ascended will be the last tier. What’s in store for 2014? You’re speaking like they just introduced the plaque and your character dies if you use a waypoint -_- If they keep updating this game every two weeks, keep iterating and improving every single living story content, keep completing gearing options, then by 2014 this will be an amazing mmo. Get your head out of the sand, this tiny design decision doesn’t impact anyone but the biggest complainers.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

But everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80, CAN have the best statistical loot in the game with Ascended. IT IS an equal footing!

That means it’s just like in wow, right?

Wolfheart.1938

No you get your head outside of you know what. If I don’t like the direction where the game is going I have the right to voice my opinion. I like GW2, it was more than worth the 60 bucks but I’d like to keep playing for longer and adding grinding in spades just to get BiS slot will hurt my enjoyment of the game.

And heck no, a casual player isn’t gonna have 105 globs of ecto, 105 t6 mats, 500+ orichalcum ores, 500+ ancient wood logs, 80k karma (karma nerf anyone?), 900 mithril ores and whatever else you need to craft your first weapon. I compiled the list earlier but the thread was deleted, not worth posting it again because people are gonna tell me that 100 keeps to get enough empyreal fragments for 1 weapon is okay.

I would like to stop playing my Guardian for once and bring my Necro in WvW, but to think that I lose 2,5k HP + bonuses from WvW ranks and go from full ascendeds to full exotics…

P.s. plz stop spreading misinformation, they didn’t state ascended is gonna be the last tier. Check Colin’s latest interview

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I can’t. Even though I’ve played ‘casually’ three or four hours (at least) every day since launch – I think I may have missed one day a few months ago, maybe; indeed, I sometimes feel more like a casualty than a casual gamer here – I’m nowhere near crafting an ascended weapon. Even if I wanted to. To reach that point would mean treating the game as a job instead of something I do for fun. I’m not going to do that.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

You don’t even need to grind to get ascended gear.

You will get the materials to make it by playing the game at any speed, in any way.

You and all of the other complainers are over dramatizing the entire issue.

Look at what is required to make them, and look at all the options of obtaining them. You get all of the materials without trying. Now relax.

Wolfheart.1938

I get 500+ orichalcum ores and 500 ancient wood logs, multiplied by 2 or 3 should I need weapons from different profession by just playing? In 2015 maybe. Coo

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

You will get the materials to make it by playing the game at any speed, in any way.

Look at what is required to make them, and look at all the options of obtaining them. You get all of the materials without trying. Now relax.

I just need to craft 20 weapons before i can start to actually play this game. Of course after that there will be ascended armors. Now i need to do things like auto attack champions, keep alts in jp, do orr temples (of course not baltha because there is some chance to fail). In www when you get inside tower/keep you can’t stay and defend door because you need to rush in and hit champ so you get materials.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

(edited by Junkpile.7439)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

If they didn’t have ascended gear, or even legendaries for that matter. EVERYone even casual players. Would complain about the lack of end game gearing.

In the original Guild Wars, players didn’t complain about the lack of end game gearing.

MMORPG players cannot understand that not everyone shares their point of view – that some players are not interested in being donkeys mindlessly chasing a carrot, rather in having fun and interesting content.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Thank you very much OP, but unless you have moderator power here I’ll post anything I so desire with regards to this game.

I’ll criticize and/or praise what I wish to. Whether you agree or disagree with my opinions, think the subject matters, or just plain out don’t wish to see anything you disagree with does not in any way shape or form matter to me.

Please realize that getting on your high horse and using imperative statements does not impress me.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I just need to craft 20 wepons before i can start to actually play this game. Of course after that there will be ascended armors. Now i need to do things like auto attack champions, keep alts in jp, do orr temples (of course not baltha because there is some chance to fail). In www when you get inside tower/keep you can’t stay and defend door because you need to rush in and hit champ so you get materials.

Nice drama. You’d make a good tv writer.

Just play the game, you’ll see why you’re wrong.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

Sorry boy, but we’ll voice our concern if we want to and you’re not the master of us. If it can be a wake up call for the dev to see the player base rejecting the direction the game is taking it could only be positive.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: roostapro.9827

roostapro.9827

People are entitled to their own opinions, this is the internet after all, of which we fought off several censorship bills to keep our freedom of speech.

If people wish to be negative, positive, criticize or complain then that is their opinion.

Getting real tired of people telling others what to think and how to act.

Oh, and I couldn’t care less about ascended items.

Eredon Terrace – Voladeir Roost (Ele)|Roosta (War)|Error Occurred (Gua)|Àneskâ Necrötiâ (Nec)
RoostaGW2

Posted by: Jaga.2084

Jaga.2084

That means it’s just like in wow, right?

That’s right. In WoW, nobody is forced to grind, just like in GW2. If you don’t want that stuff, you don’t have to grind for.

And the quote says “should”. That means that would be nice, but it isn’t a must. Best statistical loot; if you don’t have it in GW2 with level 80, you’re not even a casual gamer.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

We have some weird PvD training session going on. There might be ore behind that door. This is so much fun.

Attachments:

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I just need to craft 20 wepons before i can start to actually play this game. Of course after that there will be ascended armors. Now i need to do things like auto attack champions, keep alts in jp, do orr temples (of course not baltha because there is some chance to fail). In www when you get inside tower/keep you can’t stay and defend door because you need to rush in and hit champ so you get materials.

Nice drama. You’d make a good tv writer.

Just play the game, you’ll see why you’re wrong.

I’ve been playing the game for a year now, and I still don’t have the materials needed to craft even one ascended weapon. You know why? Because in the course of playing this game for a year now I’ve used the materials and gold I acquired in the course of playing this game for a year to to play the game. For a year now. I’ve crafted gear and spent gold on gear (and gold on crafting mats) for my many characters, so that they aren’t running around in the game in their starter gear (slight hyperbole used to illustrate the point), because useful gear drops are so few and far between in this game.

And here we are a year after launch, and I see I’ve been playing the game entirely wrong, focusing on fun. Fun – pfft! See where it’s got me. I should have been farming! Grinding! Flipping!

Perhaps a warning label on the box: Don’t play for fun! And don’t use those mats! You’ll need them later!

How’s that for drama.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Tsezar.6950

Tsezar.6950

stop complaining that we complain get lost now ty

I PLay Without Hands To Have [Fun]

How many Dzagonurs and Gunnars do you need to kill me? Over 9000!!

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Tunnel vision is a bad thing to have. Being open minded will allow you to see clearly. There is nothing wrong with ascended gear.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The main “issue” we have now is that Ascended Weapons weren’t here at release. Fortunately, the Ascended Materials are available at the lowest levels, by the time you reach 80 (on a post-patch character) it is reasonable to have enough materials to craft an Ascended Weapon.

Let’s take a look at the materials needed to craft an Ascended Greatsword and how hard it is to get them before you even reach level 80:
Normal Materials are rather easy to come by if you actually play the game, and not fast level using crafting, it’s not unreasonable to have all the mats below shortly after you reach 80. Even the 450 Mithril Ingots are easy to get, Mithril is everywhere. It might appear that the required are loads if you start collecting them now, but as I see it, even a fresh player can actually have most of these while only playing the game normally.

60 Softwood Plank
30 Seasoned Wood Plank
20 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank
10 Ancient Wood Plank
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
60 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
15 Orichalcum Ingot

Rare Materials:
20 Crystalline Dust
5 T6 Materials
17 Globs of Ectoplasm
Not a very unreasonable amount there now, isn’t it? The “only” hard part here are the Globs of Ectoplasm, but due to our beloved World Bosses, starting at level 60 you can get your Globs without issues.

“Special” Mats
30 Obsidian Shards
20 Skill Points
5 Laurels
21k Karma
3 gold
Once again, make a new character and by level 80 (if done “properly”) you will probably have all those easily.

And now the Ascended Materials:
270 Thermocatalytic Reagent, that’s around 80g might be expensive for fresh 80s
500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust, that’s very easy to come by, at level 10 you can go around in Queensdale and get some Champion kills for these
500 Empyreal Fragment, that’s indeed a tough one, but dungeons give 20 per path, that’s 60 per dungeon. If you do all dungeons as you level up, there’s a total of 25 Paths for exactly 500 Empyreal Fragments. In other words, if you run each dungeon ONCE (while leveling from 1 to 80 preferably) you will get all your Fragments. Do some Jumping Puzzles on the way to cover some paths you might not do.
500 Dragonite Ore, you can start getting these at level 15, killing the Shadow Behemoth, Frozen Maw, Fire Elemental and Jungle Wurm. If you kill all the World Bosses ONCE, and assuming average drop in Dragonite Ore, you will get a grand total of 308 Dragonite Ore. They should make Dragonite Ore more readily available for sure, it’s the most rare of the 3 (requires more Grind).

So, unless you consider a “grind”, running all world bosses and dungeon paths ONCE, then I don’t see any kind of mindless grind required for the Ascended mats. It’s your choice if you choose to “grind” some of the bosses or some of the dungeon paths over and over again, but you certainly don’t have to at all. If you want you can get all the Ascended Materials for a Weapon in a single day, if you can run all the paths in one day of course.

To me, getting to 400 Weaponsmithing is a lot more time consuming / grindy than crafting an Ascended Weapon. If you can get to 400 in a crafting discipline, there shouldn’t be any problem in crafting your weapon of choice.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

A system when you consume a stack of 50 ecto for a chance to enchant itand it gets a chance for +1 enchant, or it breaks completely. Only works on ascended items.

Erasculio.2914

Let’s take a look at the materials needed to craft an Ascended Greatsword and how hard it is to get them before you even reach level 80

You forgot about Dark Matter.

And that people usually have more than one weapon.

And, more importantly, that the point behind ascended weapons is that players are not meant to be able to get them before they reach level 80. Otherwise, ArenaNet’s comment about how it should take time to get ascended weapons wouldn’t make sense.

They were added to the game with the purpose of being a grind.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Tsezar.6950

270 Thermocatalytic Reagent isnt arround 80g

maddoctor.2738

Let’s take a look at the materials needed to craft an Ascended Greatsword and how hard it is to get them before you even reach level 80

And, more importantly, that the point behind ascended weapons is that players are not meant to be able to get them before they reach level 80. Otherwise, ArenaNet’s comment about how it should take time to get ascended weapons wouldn’t make sense.

Yes, my mistake. But to get to 500 Weaponsmithing you need to craft exotics, salvaging those exotics should give you enough Dark Matter for a few Ascended Weapons.

Of course players are using multiple weapons, I use 9 ONLY on my Guardian (I regularly use all Guardian weapons) and to make them all Ascended it will take me years?

However, by the time you reach 80 with a level 1 character it’s not unreasonable to have nearly everything you need for an Ascended Weapon, provided you didn’t “fast” level. I wanted to point out that simple fact. Also, by definition it’s not a “grind” if you are doing unique and different tasks (like all dungeon paths) to get it. Doing the math, it’s clear that players don’t need to grind their favorite paths/champions for their Ascended needs, the system is “build” specifically not to need that.

Even so, for the Ascended weapons you are “grinding” nearly everywhere you want. Take for example Volcanus or Foefire’s Essence, those require “grinding” on a very specific part of the game. Also, most of the materials for Ascended weapons can come from a level 2, while the other high-end weapons require level 80 characters for their most expensive part (lodestones). It’s the same with Legendaries, they require specific grinds to make, to get the materials you want. I’ll take the Ascended type “grind” over the previous type of “grind” any day. At least I can get my Ascended Weapons by playing HOW I WANT.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

To get my level 400 to 500 artificer I have to spend ~200 gold??!!?!!??!?!

200gold for a weapon?!!!??!?!?

How about when ascended armors are out? Prolly 800 gold?!!??!?!??!?!

WTF!

maddoctor.2738

Yes it’s 40g my mistake. 270 for 15s every 10 = 15s for 27 = 40g

maddoctor.2738

To get my level 400 to 500 artificer I have to spend ~200 gold??!!?!!??!?!

200gold for a weapon?!!!??!?!?

How about when ascended armors are out? Prolly 800 gold?!!??!?!??!?!

WTF!

I’m not so sure about that. You don’t need to pay much to get from 425 to 450 that’s for sure, just craft the Ascended Materials. Getting from 400 to 425 requires 6-7 Exotic Weapons, of your choice, you can even make profit here, depedning on which weapons you craft. I haven’t gone from 450 to 500 yet though.

Posted by: byjiang.1260

byjiang.1260

Yes, my mistake. But to get to 500 Weaponsmithing you need to craft exotics, salvaging those exotics should give you enough Dark Matter for a few Ascended Weapons.

Of course players are using multiple weapons, I use 9 ONLY on my Guardian (I regularly use all Guardian weapons) and to make them all Ascended it will take me years?

However, by the time you reach 80 with a level 1 character it’s not unreasonable to have nearly everything you need for an Ascended Weapon, provided you didn’t “fast” level. I wanted to point out that simple fact. Also, by definition it’s not a “grind” if you are doing unique and different tasks (like all dungeon paths) to get it. Doing the math, it’s clear that players don’t need to grind their favorite paths/champions for their Ascended needs, the system is “build” specifically not to need that.

Even so, for the Ascended weapons you are “grinding” nearly everywhere you want. Take for example Volcanus or Foefire’s Essence, those require “grinding” on a very specific part of the game. Also, most of the materials for Ascended weapons can come from a level 2, while the other high-end weapons require level 80 characters for their most expensive part (lodestones). It’s the same with Legendaries, they require specific grinds to make, to get the materials you want. I’ll take the Ascended type “grind” over the previous type of “grind” any day. At least I can get my Ascended Weapons by playing HOW I WANT.

You forgot the hundreds of laurels and ectos for the trinkets. Then the armor. 6 pieces.

Now you see the problem?

maddoctor.2738

You forgot the hundreds of laurels and ectos for the trinkets. Then the armor. 6 pieces.

Now you see the problem?

For a player like me who is doing nearly everything in the game, WvW, PVP, Dungeons, Fractals, World Bosses, 100% Exploration, Guild Missions etc and not focusing on one part, it’s not that much.

2 Rings from Fractals, 2 Trinkets from Guild Missions and 1 Amulet with 20 Laurels and 250 Badges of Honor. Once again, if you go from 1 to 80, you should have enough mats for one Ascended Weapon plus all your Ascended Accessory needs.

Haven’t seen armor yet, here I’m hoping they will be available from dungeons (probably not, but I can dream)

Getting all your accessories with Laurels will require 180 Laurels and 100 Ectos, that’s crazy indeed.

Erasculio.2914

We would then have to add the cost of crafting to 500 beyond all the other materials you listed. I have no idea if just crafting the required materials for an ascended weapon would be enough to level from 450 to 500, but it could become rather costly to increase crafting to 450. I did something like that – I levelled crafting disciplines on my characters while levelling them, so I could make items I would use when I could use them – and it was expensive. I couldn’t get enough fine materials to keep up with my level without buying them from the trading post.

I’ll take the Ascended type “grind” over the previous type of “grind” any day. At least I can get my Ascended Weapons by playing HOW I WANT.

I’m not so sure it’s that different. What many others have told me when I complained about similar things was that we could get nearly everything else in the game by playing how we wanted, since doing whatever would give us gold and that could be used to buy most things (other than some Legendary components, but the most time-consuming ones are things that require gold anyway).

IMO, both grinds are bad for being grinds. I think both were designed with the purpose of being grinds. I personally enjoy more getting the materials I need myself than having to trade with other players, but I think the real reason why ascended weapons require new account-bound mats is so farmers who were already rich would have to grind a bit more to get them, as opposed to being able to buy everything in a single day and then ask ArenaNet “what’s next”.

Wolfheart.1938

The main “issue” we have now is that Ascended Weapons weren’t here at release. Fortunately, the Ascended Materials are available at the lowest levels, by the time you reach 80 (on a post-patch character) it is reasonable to have enough materials to craft an Ascended Weapon.

Let’s take a look at the materials needed to craft an Ascended Greatsword and how hard it is to get them before you even reach level 80:
Normal Materials are rather easy to come by if you actually play the game, and not fast level using crafting, it’s not unreasonable to have all the mats below shortly after you reach 80. Even the 450 Mithril Ingots are easy to get, Mithril is everywhere. It might appear that the required are loads if you start collecting them now, but as I see it, even a fresh player can actually have most of these while only playing the game normally.

60 Softwood Plank
30 Seasoned Wood Plank
20 Hard Wood Plank
150 Elder Wood Plank
10 Ancient Wood Plank
180 Iron Ingot
90 Steel Ingot
60 Darksteel Ingot
450 Mithril Ingot
15 Orichalcum Ingot

Rare Materials:
20 Crystalline Dust
5 T6 Materials
17 Globs of Ectoplasm
Not a very unreasonable amount there now, isn’t it? The “only” hard part here are the Globs of Ectoplasm, but due to our beloved World Bosses, starting at level 60 you can get your Globs without issues.

“Special” Mats
30 Obsidian Shards
20 Skill Points
5 Laurels
21k Karma
3 gold
Once again, make a new character and by level 80 (if done “properly”) you will probably have all those easily.

And now the Ascended Materials:
270 Thermocatalytic Reagent, that’s around 80g might be expensive for fresh 80s
500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust, that’s very easy to come by, at level 10 you can go around in Queensdale and get some Champion kills for these
500 Empyreal Fragment, that’s indeed a tough one, but dungeons give 20 per path, that’s 60 per dungeon. If you do all dungeons as you level up, there’s a total of 25 Paths for exactly 500 Empyreal Fragments. In other words, if you run each dungeon ONCE (while leveling from 1 to 80 preferably) you will get all your Fragments. Do some Jumping Puzzles on the way to cover some paths you might not do.
500 Dragonite Ore, you can start getting these at level 15, killing the Shadow Behemoth, Frozen Maw, Fire Elemental and Jungle Wurm. If you kill all the World Bosses ONCE, and assuming average drop in Dragonite Ore, you will get a grand total of 308 Dragonite Ore. They should make Dragonite Ore more readily available for sure, it’s the most rare of the 3 (requires more Grind).

So, unless you consider a “grind”, running all world bosses and dungeon paths ONCE, then I don’t see any kind of mindless grind required for the Ascended mats. It’s your choice if you choose to “grind” some of the bosses or some of the dungeon paths over and over again, but you certainly don’t have to at all. If you want you can get all the Ascended Materials for a Weapon in a single day, if you can run all the paths in one day of course.

To me, getting to 400 Weaponsmithing is a lot more time consuming / grindy than crafting an Ascended Weapon. If you can get to 400 in a crafting discipline, there shouldn’t be any problem in crafting your weapon of choice.

The actual crafting of the weapon isn’t that bad, I can give you that. In fact I’ll even go as far as saying that the account bound materials part is a good idea, although the rewards are too skewed towards certain activities.

But you ignore one important aspect of the process: getting to 500 in a crafting profession. Why wasn’t 400 enough? If you take it slowly, you will need to craft an average of 20 exotics to max a profession. That’s 100 globs of ecto, 100 t6 mats, 200 orichalcum ores and 200 ancient wood logs. If I want a second weapon from another profession? Or if I want ascended armor that will probably work in a similar way? That’s 300 globs, 300 t6 mats, 600 ori and 600 ancient logs. And I haven’t even started crafting the friggin weapons. There’s a reason ancient wood goes for 12s+ a piece , because the grind is massive

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Your numbers are off by a digit.

15s for 10 means the price for 270 is 27 × 15s = 405s. Since 100s = 1g, you end up with 4.05g.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I dislike Ascended. Therefore I will express that opinion here. There’s nothing you can do to change that. I’ll entertain thoughtful disagreement, though.

maddoctor.2738

We would then have to add the cost of crafting to 500 beyond all the other materials you listed. I have no idea if just crafting the required materials for an ascended weapon would be enough to level from 450 to 500, but it could become rather costly to increase crafting to 450. I did something like that – I levelled crafting disciplines on my characters while levelling them, so I could make items I would use when I could use them – and it was expensive. I couldn’t get enough fine materials to keep up with my level without buying them from the trading post.

As I already mentioned getting to 500 Crafting is way more of grind / boring / ridiculous than crafting an Ascended Weapon. It’s sad really. I’m only on 450 on all 3 disciplines and I don’t really want to move forward once I realised that Ascended materials stop giving exp after a while and you have to craft exotics, that’s more like a bug to me but oh well.

I’ll take the Ascended type “grind” over the previous type of “grind” any day. At least I can get my Ascended Weapons by playing HOW I WANT.

I’m not so sure it’s that different. What many others have told me when I complained about similar things was that we could get nearly everything else in the game by playing how we wanted, since doing whatever would give us gold and that could be used to buy most things (other than some Legendary components, but the most time-consuming ones are things that require gold anyway).

Yes, the very old “you can get anything you want with gold” argument that many are using. I’m against it to be honest, and I was saying back in the old CoF P1 days that having such a high profitable path is bad for the game but many didn’t listen of course. I find it much better to be able to get what I want by playing than by buying it with gold, Anet seems to disagree. Simple supply and demand rules, more supply → less prices, but the CoF P1 farmer crowd believed that they could offset the higher prices by running even more CoF P1… Sad. So instead of focusing on increasing supply, they increased their gold intake, as a result prices went up and the normal, non-farmer, players paid the price.

I don’t see Ascended materials the same, as I mentioned above I’m positive you can get enough of those if you go from 1 to 80, and without repeating the same content. At least the math say you can do it, I have 2 level 2s (bank chars) and I plan to see if it’s true or not, if they can have an Ascended Weapon by the time they reach 80 or not, and ignore doing the same activity twice as much as possible. Excluding leveling to 500 Weaponsmith of course, one Weaponsmith is enough for the entire account, thank god.

IMO, both grinds are bad for being grinds. I think both were designed with the purpose of being grinds. I personally enjoy more getting the materials I need myself than having to trade with other players, but I think the real reason why ascended weapons require new account-bound mats is so farmers who were already rich would have to grind a bit more to get them, as opposed to being able to buy everything in a single day and then ask ArenaNet “what’s next”.

It’s not that they are new materials that I personally like, but the fact that they are obtainable by a large variety of activities and not focused for example on killing Sparks for Charged Lodestones. They might be both grinds but they are different.

Tsezar.6950

you cant calculate cant you? its arropund 4g

maddoctor.2738

But you ignore one important aspect of the process: getting to 500 in a crafting profession. Why wasn’t 400 enough? If you take it slowly, you will need to craft an average of 20 exotics to max a profession. That’s 100 globs of ecto, 100 t6 mats, 200 orichalcum ores and 200 ancient wood logs. If I want a second weapon from another profession? Or if I want ascended armor that will probably work in a similar way? That’s 300 globs, 300 t6 mats, 600 ori and 600 ancient logs. And I haven’t even started crafting the friggin weapons. There’s a reason ancient wood goes for 12s+ a piece , because the grind is massive

I completely agree. Crafting to 500 is a lot worse than it should be. I’m still puzzled why you can’t get to 500 by crafting Ascended materials and they stop giving Experience at some point while Exotics continue giving experience. I won’t craft beyond 450 until they “fix” this it doesn’t look right.

maddoctor.2738

you cant calculate cant you? its arropund 4g

Apparently I can’t

Your numbers are off by a digit.

15s for 10 means the price for 270 is 27 × 15s = 405s. Since 100s = 1g, you end up with 4.05g.

Yeah one digit off, it could’ve been worse :P

Wolfheart.1938

We agree then

The mat cost for leveling up the profession is too high. I did the math and it’s around 20 exotics per profession. The weapons are okay, although I’d like them to cost less karma (after the karma nerf) and be like, 15-20% lower on the requirements of account bound materials. And WvW rewards are way too low ( 70 towers for a weapon? 100 (!?) keeps for the orbs? ). Oh, and maybe a (not-really-convienent) conversion rate amongst bloodstones, dragonites and empyreal?

The system has too many flaws and we have yet to receive a dev response on the matter

Erasculio.2914

snip

I agree with your arguments, even if I think ascended weapons are worse for the game than you think they are. But I’ll respectfully agree to disagree in that aspect. Thank you for a civil discussion.

Tsezar.6950

especially if teh yprice for the weapons didnt drop so heavly.. you couzld sell them afterwards.. but now a crafted exotic weapon is arround 2g each

Jatacid.3725

This discussion is good. I’m glad it hasn’t been flooded with unconstructive comments yet. People are keeping level headed about it which is what makes progress. Devs will be able to read this and get something from it.

I think where they missed the mark on designing the tier – is not so much the effort or cost required – it’s the fact that it’s required for every slot.

If Exotics is base level, and Legendaries are 100%, I think Ascended should require an effort level of about 70% account wide. Right now they’re probably as high as 85% if that makes sense.

One thing which would help would be to implement the Legendary hot-swap stat combination system. And for armors simply craft 1 ‘box of Ascended Celestial Armor’ that opens up to contain everything. The boxes would thus be less confusing and can possibly be made overall ‘cheaper’ without each indivdual item seeming too cheap.

Posted by: Aorin.9168

Aorin.9168

This.

Everything required comes from playing the game as you normally would, with a few exceptions. Some people aren’t inclined to do crafting professions. This is a major flaw in the approach to ascended items as it requires one to max a crafting skill. If you want a best in slot you WILL have to spend money or quite a bit of time to do this.

Everything else comes from playing the game as you naturally would. Temple events, world bosses, stumbling upon chests in the open world, world vs world vs world activities.

The people that are getting upset are they people that have the mentality that they have to have the absolute best, IMMEDIATELY.

Pick the weapon you use most, start with that. Then go for the weapon you use second most, go with that. It’s not a race. As a whole, the player base is proceeding at roughly the same speed. Personally, I’m probably only going to really actively work to make a greatsword, and then if I someday end up with stuff to make another, that’s just a bonus.

You don’t need ALL of your weapons to be ascended. 5% increase isn’t worth the time it would take to ACTIVELY “grind” out the materials. Just play the game for enjoyment and one day you will check your bank and go “oh hey look at that, I’ve got enough to make another!”

I do not agree with the direction Anet has gone with this, but I acknowledge that they have and as a player I can either go with it or play something else. Until Wildstar, I’m inclined to just go with it and not freak out about the 5% difference in weapons I seldom use.

TLDR: You get the materials from playing the game naturally, over a time spread. What makes it seem like a lot is because you are actively trying to “grind” out all the materials for your whole scope of weapons IMMEDIATELY. Pick your favorite, make that. It’s not a race.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

No you get your head outside of you know what. If I don’t like the direction where the game is going I have the right to voice my opinion. I like GW2, it was more than worth the 60 bucks but I’d like to keep playing for longer and adding grinding in spades just to get BiS slot will hurt my enjoyment of the game.

And heck no, a casual player isn’t gonna have 105 globs of ecto, 105 t6 mats, 500+ orichalcum ores, 500+ ancient wood logs, 80k karma (karma nerf anyone?), 900 mithril ores and whatever else you need to craft your first weapon. I compiled the list earlier but the thread was deleted, not worth posting it again because people are gonna tell me that 100 keeps to get enough empyreal fragments for 1 weapon is okay.

I would like to stop playing my Guardian for once and bring my Necro in WvW, but to think that I lose 2,5k HP + bonuses from WvW ranks and go from full ascendeds to full exotics…

P.s. plz stop spreading misinformation, they didn’t state ascended is gonna be the last tier. Check Colin’s latest interview

You mean where he said it should be the last tier, other than legendary, unless something happens like a new game director who can change it then?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You mean where he said it should be the last tier, other than legendary, unless something happens like a new game director who can change it then?

Let’s be real here. What guy can guarantee that he won’t be fired and replaced by someone else, or that someone else won’t buy the company?

Your comments are completely unreasonable.

Wolfheart.1938

no I mean where he said “I really don’t want to make a promise because we 7 years from now we might turn around and put another tier, OR someone else might be in charge of the game…”

That is a pretty vague statement don’t you think? It also doesn’t go on the possibility of a levelcap raise, on which they’ve been vague too.

maddoctor.2738

He said last tier for 2013. That doesn’t mean there will be a new tier in 2014, he had to play it safe in any case. As others said, there is always a chance for a change in management/direction, let’s hope it won’t happen in 2014.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

He said last tier for 2013. That doesn’t mean there will be a new tier in 2014, he had to play it safe in any case. As others said, there is always a chance for a change in management/direction, let’s hope it won’t happen in 2014.

Actually that’s not what he said. You’re referring to an older statement, which was replaced by a newer statement in the PAX video interview.

What he basically said was he hopes this is the last tier and he certainly things that it will be, but he can’t tell that 7 years in the future it might not change, or that someone else couldn’t buy the company and it would change.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

What he basically said was he hopes this is the last tier and he certainly things that it will be, but he can’t tell that 7 years in the future it might not change, or that someone else couldn’t buy the company and it would change.

I wonder if there’s a quiet implication that NCSoft is behind Ascended in the first place…

No way to know, and not putting forth a conspiracy theory. Just wondering.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Actually that’s not what he said. You’re referring to an older statement, which was replaced by a newer statement in the PAX video interview.

Thats what i was trying to get at. And really, all gaming companies try to be vague in many areas cause of that reason.

Do they want to add new tiers? No. Are they planning to? No. Could something happen in the future (gw2 sold to different company, department shake ups, etc) that could change that? Yes.

maddoctor.2738

I was referring to his old comment not the one from PAX.

goes to watch PX video interview