Evon Gnashblade needs an LA honor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

After I took the survey recently, I was saddened to see that Evon Gnashblade didn’t have any locations with his name as an option to vote on. Then after the survey finished, I saw why. Ellen Kiel commissioned the survey. This is another blatant political maneuver to keep Evon’s name out of the history books. Kiel is using her influence from the Captain’s Council in an unethical way.

I ask the great game caretakers at Anet to step in and correct this travesty. Evon Gnashblade, Hero of the People, should…. nay…. MUST have an opportunity to leave his mark on Lion’s Arch (aside from the Black Lion Trading Company). I could recommend that the lion statue in the center of LA be remade into a monument to the brave charr to saved the citizens from certain death at the hands of his former legionnaire.

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How about a statue of him with his hands full of Black Lion trade goods (aka loot), running through a portal with his tail between his legs?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Smooth Penguin.5294

You are mistaken, my friend. You see, Evon was protecting the weapons from the invading forces. If he didn’t escape with those goods, we player heroes wouldn’t have been able to arm ourselves to fight back against Scarlet. Remember, Kiel appointed him Quartermaster, thus he was responsible for making sure all the soldiers were equipped. Being the responsible charr that he is, he was simply doing his job.

If you want to blame anyone, you can look no further than the Captain’s Council, who were warned by Evon. Kiel and company are just as responsible for all the deaths in LA as Scarlet.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Did you actually participate in the LS event? During the attack Gnashblade insisted on getting his merchandise-laden dolyaks evacuated before citizens, and used up the last moments of functionality of LAs last portal to save his merchandise, leaving people behind to die who otherwise would have been saved. He not only isn’t a hero, he is as responsible for the deaths of innocents as any Aetherblade, Molten or Toxic alliance member, and in a fair and just world he would be on trial alongside them. But much like the real world, monetary power acts as a buffer against responsibility.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

That Consortium scum needs nothing.

Who do you think was funding Scarlet?

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Smooth Penguin.5294

Did you actually participate in the LS event? During the attack Gnashblade insisted on getting his merchandise-laden dolyaks evacuated before citizens, and used up the last moments of functionality of LAs last portal to save his merchandise, leaving people behind to die who otherwise would have been saved. He not only isn’t a hero, he is as responsible for the deaths of innocents as any Aetherblade, Molten or Toxic alliance member, and in a fair and just world he would be on trial alongside them. But much like the real world, monetary power acts as a buffer against responsibility.

He was saving the equipment. That was part of the job, to equip the soldiers fighting against Scarlet. If he let all his goods get destroyed, then the battle would be over, and the game would end. But his heroic actions allowed us to continue buying goods from him, which allowed us to fight the good fight. He even shared hour long buffs if a player purchased it.

So the choice was to save the equipment and fight another day, or let the citizens escape and lose the war. Sometimes, a hero needs to make tough choices. I wouldn’t want to be in Evon’s shoes, because I’m not strong enough to make that choice. This is why people look up to him. He does what others can’t.

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

What’s this survey? I saw it mentioned yesterday as well.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Just a flesh wound.3589

You are mistaken, my friend. You see, Evon was protecting the weapons from the invading forces. If he didn’t escape with those goods, we player heroes wouldn’t have been able to arm ourselves to fight back against Scarlet. Remember, Kiel appointed him Quartermaster, thus he was responsible for making sure all the soldiers were equipped. Being the responsible charr that he is, he was simply doing his job.

If you want to blame anyone, you can look no further than the Captain’s Council, who were warned by Evon. Kiel and company are just as responsible for all the deaths in LA as Scarlet.

And I guess there was a force, greater than himself, that pushed him through the portal in its last seconds instead of staying in LA to help the terrified, fleeing civilians? What could that force be, I wonder….. Oh! I know! Cowardliness.

Yes, a statue of him, cringing, with his loot Black Lion goods at his feet, slamming the portal shut in the face of the little Asura progeny who used to play around the bank before she died in the attack would be just the memorial he deserves.

ANet may give it to you.

Conncept.7638

He was saving the equipment. That was part of the job, to equip the soldiers fighting against Scarlet. If he let all his goods get destroyed, then the battle would be over, and the game would end. But his heroic actions allowed us to continue buying goods from him, which allowed us to fight the good fight. He even shared hour long buffs if a player purchased it.

So the choice was to save the equipment and fight another day, or let the citizens escape and lose the war. Sometimes, a hero needs to make touch choices. I wouldn’t want to be in Evon’s shoes, because I’m not strong enough to make that choice. This is why people look up to him. He does what others can’t.

He didn’t know that equipment was going to be used to fight Scarlet until days after LA was evacuated, and was literally forced on pain of death to give it up to be used for the fight to kill scarlet and retake LA.

He was saving it, so he could make money off of it, no matter the costs, in lives, to anyone else, and for no other reason. That it was involuntarily taken from him and used for good, is not a sign of his heroism, it is if anything another mar on his already blackened character.

He was being a heartless moneygrubbing murderer according to logic, by his own account, and by that of all present witnesses. There is no room for debate on this subject whatsoever. He is not a hero, he is a criminal and a villain, and hopefully some survivor of the attack can someday identify him for what he did, so that he can be memorialized in the only way befitting him, adding his own nameless niche on an executioners block.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Smooth Penguin.5294

Running away is not a sign of cowardliness. When a hero runs, it’s a strategic retreat. If you know that fighting and dying would cost your side the war, then staying to die would be a useless death. So by escaping with the badly needed equipment we needed to fight against Scarelet, Evon made the smart choice.

Charr are experts at war. They know how to fight and win. The importance of living was weighed more for the long term, than staying back and killing a few minions. Evon’s a smart charr, and knows what he’s doing.

Smooth Penguin.5294

So the choice was to save the equipment and fight another day, or let the citizens escape and lose the war. Sometimes, a hero needs to make touch choices. I wouldn’t want to be in Evon’s shoes, because I’m not strong enough to make that choice. This is why people look up to him. He does what others can’t.

He didn’t know that equipment was going to be used to fight Scarlet until days after LA was evacuated, and was literally forced on pain of death to give it up to be used for the fight.

He was saving it, so he could make money off of it, no matter the costs, in lives, to anyone else, and for no other reason. That it was involuntarily taken from him and used for good, is if anything another mar on his already blackened character.

He was being a heartless moneygrubbing murderer according to logic, by his own account, and by that of all present witnesses. There is no room for debate on this subject whatsoever, he is not a hero, he is a criminal and a villain, and hopefully some survivor of the attack can someday prove him so, so that he can suffer the justice he deserves.

A true hero can analyze the situation, and stay many steps ahead of the enemy. Evon knew his goods were needed. He knew Kiel would force him to provide for the troops. Basically, Evon accepted the Quartermaster job before Kiel thrust it upon him.

We look up to leaders like this. Like a Grandmaster Chess player in war, Evon has a sixth sense to these things.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The little Asuran progeny who used to play behind the bank before she died in the attack looks down from the Asuran heaven and says, “There is nothing a Charr likes better than a good fight.There is nothing Evon likes better than a good flight.”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

Stop feeding it.

Smooth Penguin.5294

The little Asuran progeny who used to play behind the bank before she died in the attack looks down from the Asuran heaven and says, “There is nothing a Charr likes better than a good fight.There is nothing Evon likes better than a good flight.”

Would you rather have the asura live, and lose the war? Of course not. The sacrifice of one asura is acceptable if it means peace in the long run. I’m sure the great hero that Evon is privately tips his hat to the fallen. But leaders must be strong, and not show weakness to the people who love him. We feed off of the strength that naturally oozes out of Evon’s pores. It gives us hope for a better future.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Evon Gnashblade the profiteer needs nothing, he already has a pile of gold. What he deserves is a kick in the kitten.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Black Lion Company needs a large Palace with Evon on a throne with Asura maidens feeding him grapes and giving him manicures and a trophy room displaying all his beautiful works of art you’d normally find in the gem store.

If he lost those Dolyaks there’d be nothing new in the gem store for who knows how long. There’d probably be no updates till LA was fully repaired. People would start complaining and rioting.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

First of all, are we sure of what was in that cargo? Who knows what it might have been, especially given his ties to Ash Legion. Hidden in that cargo may have been any of a dozen things, including information on things like Glint’s Egg.

Second, Evon can’t turn off the asura gates. After the fight, didn’t the captain that DOES control the gates say that she turned them off to prevent Scarlet’s use of them? I’d say she or an underling screwed up, or there was a failure of communications, and they got turned off early. A horrible mistake, but not one you can pin on her OR Evon.

Finally, Evon WILL have something named after himself. He has them all across the world, in fact. Look at him, and tell me why you think it’s called the “Black Lion”. That’s right, Evon is the black lion. His nickname is all over the place.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Evon Gnashblade’s name is synonymous with the Black Lion Trading Company. That’s a given. However, a hero deserves to have his name tied in lore to a location of the port city he saved. Even something a simple as “The Gnashblade Bazaar” POI.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How about naming the gem store after him?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Doggie.3184

How about naming the gem store after him?

It is named after him. He’s a Black Lion Charr. :o

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

You forgot one very important detail why Evon can’t be trusted. Because he is a charr. No charr can be trusted. Why you ask? You should know by now. Because charrs are…. Dragon Minions.

After we defeat Mordremorth , we’ll learn there isn’t only six elder dragons… there is seven. The Fur Dragon wakes not long after our victory above Mordi… and we learn his agents are already amongst us: the charr.

Evon, the Fur Dragon’s greatest champion was already working to bring victory to his master : his plan failed to lure tyria’s champions into the fractals and close the portal behind them forever (We learned about this ability he has already), so to weaken the enemy’s forces he used a different method: he dressed up as ally and he sends us to fight in dresses and costumes to be easily slaughtered by our enemy, gives us wood and glass weapons to have no chance to strike back.

When the time comes, he will be ready to strike and thanks to his efforts, we’ll be weak and vulnerable. You can’t trust Charr, they will belong to the dragon.

Guild Wars 2: Claws of Fur™

Just a flesh wound.3589

I found several possibilities for a statue. The first is of him going through the portal, two are of him at work and the last one is of him relaxing at home. Any one of these will do nicely.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Evon Gnashblade is blackmailing the best golem in the GW universe. He deserves to get shot.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It’s the link in the Naming Poll part of the blog at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s the link in the Naming Poll part of the blog at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lions-arch-construction-nears-completion-new-player-poll-announced/

Aha! Thanks. Been so busy with work I didn’t even think of looking for a news blog article thing.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

That greedy kitten can count himself lucky that i cannot hit NPCs that the game designates as “friendly”.

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

I found several possibilities for a statue. The first is of him going through the portal, two are of him at work and the last one is of him relaxing at home. Any one of these will do nicely.

I vote for the one of him going through the portal.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Posted by: Jorvych.3064

Jorvych.3064

Y’all should read Evon’s dialogue entries sometime. direct quotes from the wiki.

Evon Gnashblade during the Fractured release

Hey, I don’t blame you. You’re savvy. You know you voted for the right guy. (sigh) But that Kiel, she’s gonna get everyone in this town killed one day.

He goes on to say the following lines:

Kiel’s playing in the Mists while her leash-holder, Magnus, has the best Lionguard out in Caledon Forest. We’re undefended here.

After being asked by the player character what the danger could be, he replies,

Once, I’d say the karka, but we got bigger problems. Scarlet’s out there somewhere. It’s a matter of time before she punches Lion’s Arch hard.

Isn’t that what happened?

Posted by: Pyro.4765

Pyro.4765

Isn’t it likely that if Kiel won they’d just give her that dialogue? I highly doubt that the massive “Invasion of Lion’s Arch” plotline hinged on Kiel being the elected candidate.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Isn’t it likely that if Kiel won they’d just give her that dialogue? I highly doubt that the massive “Invasion of Lion’s Arch” plotline hinged on Kiel being the elected candidate.

Either during or shortly after the Battle for LA stuff, someone from Anet said that if Evon had won the election, Lion’s Arch would have been better defended and thus suffered less in the attacks.

This said, however, Evon would be mucking about in the Mists if he won with stuff unrelated to Scarlet or other modern events (Abaddon fractal), and the Lionguard would still be about in Caledon Forest chasing after Scarlet. Going off of the datamined dialogue for Evon’s victory (yes, there is such a thing), Ellen would have gone rogue/full pirate rather than going back to the Lionguard – so she might have been going after things her way if not just go and not bother with anything (aka be put on the bus), rather than trying to butt heads with the council like she was having won the election.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Either during or shortly after the Battle for LA stuff, someone from Anet said that if Evon had won the election, Lion’s Arch would have been better defended and thus suffered less in the attacks.

This said, however, Evon would be mucking about in the Mists if he won with stuff unrelated to Scarlet or other modern events (Abaddon fractal), and the Lionguard would still be about in Caledon Forest chasing after Scarlet. Going off of the datamined dialogue for Evon’s victory (yes, there is such a thing), Ellen would have gone rogue/full pirate rather than going back to the Lionguard – so she might have been going after things her way if not just go and not bother with anything (aka be put on the bus), rather than trying to butt heads with the council like she was having won the election.

No actually, the exact quote said that the result would have been ‘different’ they didn’t say whether it would be better or worst, players just assumed. But regardless events would have unfolded much the same, even if lions arch was slightly more defended and took slightly less damage.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

He can have a statue or monument when the drop rate of Black Lion Keys increases. Until then, buy Consortium instead of Black Lion – you can see where the money’s going! Rebuilding Lion’s Arch, which is something Black Lion Trading Company could be doing . . .

. . . if it wasn’t run by a gladium who let greed become his motto over honor.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

If Evon really wanted an honorary statue of himself regarding his deeds during the attack on LA, he could happily pay for it himself. Then it could be put into a supremely prized position of overlooking LA’s outhouses. It would be the first and last thing people see before entering and exiting the outhouse to do their business.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Definitely the one with him going through the portal. Hilarious

The only thing that greedy bugger deserves is a shooting-range named after him… with the target dummies being made in his image.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Definitely the one with him going through the portal. Hilarious

The only thing that greedy bugger deserves is a shooting-range named after him… with the target dummies being made in his image.

That’s my favorite also. ^^ That particular statue would be great displayed somewhere prominent and it shows a very accurate portrayal of him being a true “hero”, analyzing the situation and staying many steps ahead of the enemy, as Smooth Penguin accurately pointed out.

He certainly did analyze the situation, and then stayed many steps ahead of the enemy.
(Analyze situation, Grab loot) ZOOOM!

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I’m shocked by how short everyone’s memory is. Have all of you already forgotten how Kiel failed us? Yet without Evon and the Blacklion Trading Company, there would be no Lion’s Arch to rebuild.

I already pointed out the lack of air defense months before Scarlet actually attacked LA. But did the Captain’s Council listen? No. They waited till the city was in ruins, and only then did they start rebuilding Lion’s Arch with some proper air defense.

Why did this happen? Because the Captain’s Council is incompetent? Perhaps. But the real reason is that Kiel is weak. She has no influence over them, they do not listen to her. You need someone who understands how to negotiate. With Evon in charge, the city would have been prepared for an aerial attack.

He deserves a statue as a reminder to everyone of who made the reconstruction efforts possible, after Kiel’s complete and utter failure.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

First of all, are we sure of what was in that cargo? Who knows what it might have been, especially given his ties to Ash Legion. Hidden in that cargo may have been any of a dozen things, including information on things like Glint’s Egg.

It could have just had also been random trash such as spikes from WvW people. Or T1 claws. I’m guessing more on random stuff because if it was information on the egg, then it would’ve been part of the story.

Also, I think I took pictures during the attack on LA, I’m pretty sure it was him who shut off the portals. I could be wrong though I will check.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Evon who?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

He deserves a statue as a reminder to everyone of who made the reconstruction efforts possible, after Kiel’s complete and utter failure.

Oh don’t blame her.

Blame Queen Jennah. After all, Lion’s Arch is part of Kryta, and isn’t it her duty to protect Kryta? And since she didn’t, isn’t that negligent?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Oh I do blame Queen Jennah as well. She is after all a mes-… a mm….
a… you know… the M-word.

And they cannot be trusted. But Kiel is also to blame.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Conncept.7638

Not to mention Kiel warned captains council of the attack, and they chose to ignore her warning, at which point she prepared with the PC to defend LA by herself if necessary. Only thing Gnashblade would have done at that point would have been to flee earlier, farther away, and with more of his goods.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Evon is a businessman, not a hero. If he wants a monument to himself, he has the gold to make one.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

He certainly did analyze the situation, and then stayed many steps ahead of the enemy.
(Analyze situation, Grab loot) ZOOOM!

This leaked image of Evon and his loot-bag seems to confirm your theory.

Attachments:

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Death to the crook Evon Gnashblade!

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Smooth Penguin.5294

Evon is a businessman, not a hero. If he wants a monument to himself, he has the gold to make one.

My friend, allow me to provide some information on our beloved Evon. He is both a business man, and a hero. Evon Gnashblade is the current Legionnaire of the Gnash warband, and owner of the Black Lion Trading Company. Years ago, he saved Lion’s Arch citizens from harm when he killed the former Legionnaire, Aria Gnashfang. This selfless act allowed the Ash legion to establish a foothold within the city, and allowed Evon to provide many wonderful goods through his store.

Without Evon’s company, we wouldn’t have access to so many wonderful Outfits for our characters to enjoy. Let’s not forget the Black Lion keys that allow us the opportunity to get tickets to exchange for unique weapons.

Doggie.3184

Yes, Evon will destroy any crook who threatens you. You can always count on Evon Gnashblade!

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Yes, Evon will destroy any crook who threatens you. You can always count on Evon Gnashblade!

I’m sure he would kill crooks who threaten or steal from me. I’m not so certain I would get my belongings back from him.

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you want your goods back, you can always visit a Black Lion representative in any major city, and collect it from the tab in the lower left of your screen.

Evon runs a reliable business. He only asks for 15% of the proceeds as payment for using the Trading Post.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m sure he would kill crooks who threaten or steal from me. I’m not so certain I would get my belongings back from him.

Or, given Evon’s less than charming history, he’ll hide in the shadows until after the mugging is over then step forward and try to blackmail you.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

After I took the survey recently, I was saddened to see that Evon Gnashblade didn’t have any locations with his name as an option to vote on. Then after the survey finished, I saw why. Ellen Kiel commissioned the survey. This is another blatant political maneuver to keep Evon’s name out of the history books. Kiel is using her influence from the Captain’s Council in an unethical way.

I ask the great game caretakers at Anet to step in and correct this travesty. Evon Gnashblade, Hero of the People, should…. nay…. MUST have an opportunity to leave his mark on Lion’s Arch (aside from the Black Lion Trading Company). I could recommend that the lion statue in the center of LA be remade into a monument to the brave charr to saved the citizens from certain death at the hands of his former legionnaire.

I could use some gold, is he hiring more people to lobby for him?

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court