in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

OP I am sorry for you loss.

Exceptional request from a devastated guild

Posted by: Maelwro.7562

Maelwro.7562

My sincere condolences to both your gaming and the immediate family for the loss. As far as appropriateness of a monument — due to the impact that Guild Wars had on this group of players, the request is in my opinion, both appropriate, and a heartfelt request to address their community’s grief.

Posted by: Kry.1697

Kry.1697

My condoleances to family and friends. Remember him with a smile on your faces.

Posted by: KLC.6304

KLC.6304

Orpheal, shame on you.

My condolences to the family, I would also like to see a feature for remembrance in the new Guild halls.

(edited by KLC.6304)

Posted by: Kenny Mack.2653

Kenny Mack.2653

I’m sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you all, his family first and foremost.

I think this is a genuinely wonderful idea.

Having a statue like we have in our HoM’s would be great. With a customisable inscription, just like our Guild Message in the roster.

I’m +1’ing the idea.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m very sorry for your loss.

ArenaNet have precedent of memorialising a fallen player, and I’m sure if it’s possible they’ll go out of their way to provide you with some method to remember your friend in-game.

Other games have erectable statues of certain guild members in bases for reasons of recognition/memorial, so perhaps that’s an avenue the developers could look in to.

I wish your guild family my deepest condolences.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Gingook.2971

Gingook.2971

On behalf of the Angry Army and WISE, please accept our heartfelt condolences to your family on the loss of your guild member.

Attachments:

(edited by Gingook.2971)

Posted by: Dragon.4728

Dragon.4728

rest in peace fellow gamer and lets those you left behind find a way to never forget yet live they lives. In this, virtual and next world.

Posted by: DeviantShark.6548

DeviantShark.6548

My thoughts are the family and friends! I hope you guys do fine! (As fine as possible)

Squirreltail? What’s that? [AUT] Oachkatzlschwoaf
We are constantly looking for Guildmembers which contribute to an awesome community

Posted by: MoS.5970

MoS.5970

Condolences from TTS. Our best wishes upon his family, and your family.

Posted by: Lobada.7580

Lobada.7580

Condolences and I support the idea- if possible.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

When Wynthyst died, Anet added a gravestone for her under the name Thyst in Ebonhawke.

Had no idea she passed on. She did so much for the wikis. RIP Wyn =(

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

My thoughts are with the family and friends and truly hope this request will get through!
That he may always be in your hearts and thoughts so you can cherish the memories of all the great moments you’ve experienced together.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Sorry to hear of your loss. Take comfort from the thought that a lot of people within this community he loved are here to support you now.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Evaara.6410

Evaara.6410

When Roger ‘Oldroar’ Rall died, Anet named a server after him and even made a charr mention a passed away but well loved Tribune Rall Oldroar after him.

When Wynthyst died, Anet added a gravestone for her under the name Thyst in Ebonhawke.

It’s not unfathomable for ANet to add something for this.

And to tao and the others, sorry for your community’s loss.

I think there’s also another instance where GW2 commemorated one of their fallen players. Hiralyn was the name of her in-game character I think. She’s now an NPC with lotsa bunnies in Cragstead now.

This is why I have so much respect for the community and staff involved in GW2.

Sorry for the loss of your guild OP. Condolences to the affected family as well. I hope your request pushes through.

Also, thanks for the reply Ms. Gaile. It’s awesome that ANet really cares about its playerbase in a very human level.

(edited by Evaara.6410)

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I agree with Orpheal. The mortality rate in western countries is around 10 in 1000 per year. Going by that tens of thousands (10k per year per million unique copies sold) of people who played GW2 died already.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Evaara.6410

Orpheal, you have the right to an opinion about having a memorial in the game, but you don’t have a right to tell people how to grieve. If they want to mourn their loved ones in the game, let them. It doesn’t harm you in the least.

OP, I’m sorry for your loss. Hopefully the devs will be able to do something for you. I think this would be a nice feature to include for guildhalls.

agree 100%. it’s not like they are forcing ANet to comply with their request. OP even said “regardless of the answer”. Also, with this idea being provided ANet just got an opportunity to add an awesome feature to their game that can be used not only for the commemoration of the diseased but for other possible reasons as well.

it’s a win-win situation for all.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I agree with Orpheal. The mortality rate in western countries is around 10 in 1000 per year. Going by that tens of thousands (10k per year per million unique copies sold) of people who played GW2 died already.

I don’ think the request is too unreasonable though. The OP is not asking for a monument to be made in the game world itself, but rather, they’re asking for the ability to have monuments inside their own guild hall, which is likely an instanced area.

This means players could possibly customize their own guild halls with monuments if they wish to, or I suppose ignore it if they’d prefer not to have such a thing. It doesn’t affect anyone else in the game world, and if you already have other customizable features in a GH, why not this? Especially if it’s optional.

Evaara.6410

If everyone who dies here on this planet as a GW2 gamer would receive a monument or gravestone whatever, the Field of the Fallen in our new Lions arch would be soon bigger, that the town itself …

Sorry, that I’m now the realistic mood destroyer here, and I can absolutely understand the feelings and the reason behind this request, but seriously, this is the first MMORPG ever Ive tseen, where so many people think, they should have or even go so far to say “deserve” (not in this case) to get some kind of attention through threads like this, so that they get a special place in the GAME (seriosuly, wtf for do you need this in a game) to mourn.

If that person that died there meant so much to you, then you mourn at his REAL grave and use this maybe also as an opportunity to come together as a guild to get to know each other in real better, if you haven’t done something like that yet as a “Gaming Family” when you play as you say for over 10 years together.

A digital gravestone/monument won’t make Doug come back to live.
The stuff Konig mentioned did go in my opinion already too far ..
GW2 is in first line a GAME and not a memorial for dead people.

However, Ive also nothing against it, if ANet adds in regard of Guild Halls some kind of feature that lets have the Guild Hall instance some kind of own “Field of the Fallen”, where you can create Gravestones.
As an implemented gameplay feature, there is nothing to be said against that.

But always coming here into the forums, pressing kittento the tear gland in hope, that Anet reacts on it and grants you your wish to give a dead prson some kind of special memorial – I don’t know, I personally absolutely don’t find that this is right and that this would be something that the dead person in question would find ok too that you literally “beg for him/her” for attention.

Now you can kill me for being the mood killer :P, but I think this opinion has the same right to be expressed, like everyone else one too, even if it doesn’t jump onto the support wagon too.
I support Gravestones as Guil Hall Feature! (just to be clear)

The reason why this is the "this is the first MMORPG ever Ive tseen, where so many people think, they should have or even go so far to say “deserve” (not in this case) to get some kind of attention through threads like this, so that they get a special place in the GAME" is because ANet actually cares and has a history of valuing the lives of their dedicated players. You can browse through this thread and you’ll see at least three instances of when this happened before.

Why can’t people mourn the way they want to? The OP only requested. It’s not like he held ANet hostage or something. You actually highlighted the fact that the diseased is part of a “Gaming Family” who spent 10 years or so in the game. If a basketball player can be commemorated and put in the hall of fame for being a legend after his death why can’t we do the same for GW2? How about Hollywood doing the same for their stars? Take this in context: Guild Wars has been a huge part in this family’s life. Is it so wrong to ask the people involved with the game for some sort of commemoration when it has already happened before? Don’t instruct people on how to mourn or celebrate their loved ones especially because despite saying that you “can absolutely understand the feelings and the reason behind this request” its obvious that you can’t empathize at all.

They never said “A digital gravestone/monument (would) make Doug come back to live.” They only asked if it was possible for them to implement a feature that would let them commemorate their family member in a future instanced environment. They didn’t even say make it part of the open world nor did they say “DO IT NOW!”

They’re not “coming here into the forums, pressing kittento the tear gland in hope, that Anet reacts on it and grants you your wish to give a dead prson some kind of special memorial” for the sake of attention. They just want to be able to celebrate their dead in their own PRIVATE INSTANCE IF POSSIBLE. Where else should they post their request? Send ANet snail mail? An email that may or may not only reach the automated response? Dude, the forums is the most practical place to send these kinds of requests.

You say “Now you can kill me for being the mood killer”? Well, you’re not a mood killer. You’re just insensitive and you wrote stuff you didn’t think through well enough before posting.

(edited by Evaara.6410)

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

So very sorry for your loss, OP and guild. As many of us have realized, guilds can become extensions of our families, and losing a member of that family hurts beyond the ability of words to express.

I see Miss Gaile has already weighed in on your request, so hopefully something can be worked out. I hope so.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: tao.7693

tao.7693

I did email Anet first, i would have preferred if it were discussed privately but they responded and told me that i would have to contact the devs and that the best way to do that was through the forums.

I certainly didn’t post with the intention of pushing anyones buttons and i know that the family and our guild all really appreciate the positive support we’ve been receiving.

Tao [Bird]

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I’m sorry for your loss.

Posted by: EvilKitty.9075

EvilKitty.9075

I think that being able to have a monument to such a well loved man in your Guild Hall would be a wonderful and marvellous thing, and I do hope so very much that ANet will be able to implement this for you.
I am very sorry that there have been negative reactions to your post – it isn’t as if you have asked to have anything in the open world of the game, but just for some way to commemorate him in the privacy of your own Guild Hall.
Huge condolences for your loss to all of you who knew him, and especially to his wife and children.

Posted by: Talon Silverhawk.3574

Talon Silverhawk.3574

Sorry for the loss and the Family’s continued challenges, I think a gesture in game like a grave stone or something named after them would be great, Its a large land and I’m sure something could be put in.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@ Evaara:

That were in my opinion already 3 cases too much, because they let people believe since then, that their “cases” might be also special enough for Anet, that they put some value into it to make their losses look for everyone else like something special, when in fact alot more people who played GW2 for sure have been died in the last 3 years and where nobody felt “the need” to tell that thousands of other people in a public forum with the sole intention to make the death of a person look special enough, worthy enough (god, just writing this disgusts myself right now) to give the person a memorial.

As I said, I have absolutely nothing against it, if ANet uses now the time of chance to make out of Guild Halls a Feature, which encases also the option to add to them a personal “Field of the Fallen” with customized own gravestones, where you can mourn as much and long as you like and feel still connected to that lost person “somehow”

Thats what I personally absolutely support and theres no reason to be against something like this, because then can have everyone have their memorials and nobody has a reason anymore to come here into the forums for attention seeking trying to make their “cases” look somehow special, why it would be nice, if Anet could give person X a kind of memorial, statue, whatever.

I think this should have made my last sentence clear enough.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: irishmex.2518

irishmex.2518

To some degree, I agree with Orpheal. I can also imagine how overcrowded a guild hall or any other location could become if we could erect monuments.

What about a guild Loremaster NPC instead? The guild leader could have rights to program a few conversational responses so that when we talk to him he can tell us a brief story about a fallen comrade or speak about a great battle in the guild’s history or even just a funny story about a guild member’s nickname or something. It would be a great way for new members to learn a bit about the guild’s years of history.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I’m sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Sonicgen.7062

Sonicgen.7062

Ouch. Sorry to hear that OP. Also to anyone just being plain negative or crapping on the OP in this forum please stop and just leave the post. Thank you

Posted by: Zoser.7245

Zoser.7245

First all, my condolences for all you, people who knew him, his wife and children.

I think that is viable add a generic memorial to the guild halls with a clickable plate, where a guild leader can add to a list the names of the fallen guildies and allowing to the guildies to read their names in the guild chat after click.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

@ Evaara:

That were in my opinion already 3 cases too much, because they let people believe since then, that their “cases” might be also special enough for Anet, that they put some value into it to make their losses look for everyone else like something special, when in fact alot more people who played GW2 for sure have been died in the last 3 years and where nobody felt “the need” to tell that thousands of other people in a public forum with the sole intention to make the death of a person look special enough, worthy enough (god, just writing this disgusts myself right now) to give the person a memorial.

. . .

Thats what I personally absolutely support and theres no reason to be against something like this, because then can have everyone have their memorials and nobody has a reason anymore to come here into the forums for attention seeking trying to make their “cases” look somehow special, why it would be nice, if Anet could give person X a kind of memorial, statue, whatever.

While I don’t disagree with your feelings towards a personal memorial for every player who has passed away (because I agree it would take up a lot of resources, be cluttered, and just won’t work right), your phrasing is what’s making people get on edge. People are grieving heavily. Of course they want to bring attention to a person who meant a lot to them. To the people who knew the person, that person IS deserving of a memorial that everyone (in-game, that is) can go to and remember that person/pay their respects.

There’s no need to call people in mourning “attention seekers” or look down on them as you seem to be doing (that’s the feeling I get when I read your posts in this thread). If you don’t want to read another post asking for a player memorial, then just don’t read it. Roll your eyes and continue about your day. Let the poster and anyone else who is directly affected grieve and honor their friend in their own way.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

RoseofGilead.8907

First all, my condolences for all you, people who knew him, his wife and children.

I think that is viable add a generic memorial to the guild halls with a clickable plate, where a guild leader can add to a list the names of the fallen guildies and allowing to the guildies to read their names in the guild chat after click.

Yes. This is the idea I’ve had in my head, especially since they announced the guild hall thing.

Posted by: tao.7693

tao.7693

@ Evaara:

As I said, I have absolutely nothing against it, if ANet uses now the time of chance to make out of Guild Halls a Feature, which encases also the option to add to them a personal “Field of the Fallen” with customized own gravestones, where you can mourn as much and long as you like and feel still connected to that lost person “somehow”

Ooc why aren’t everyone’s cases “special” enough to deserve the same recognition? If this already existed in the game from the get go then it wouldn’t even be a conversation topic. Think of how many features made it into this game based solely on community feedback. How would this feature be any different in that respect? If the majority of the community likes and supports the idea then it’s generally in the best interest of the developers to implement it so that it can be enjoyed by all.

I’m not seeking attention as you’ve put it, I even said that I emailed directly for a more private approach, and that Anet sent me to the forums. If Anet thinks it’s appropriate to send me directly to the forums then I’m not sure why you’d have a problem with it.

Bottom line is that it’s a good idea for an additional feature that, it seems, more people than not would appreciate.

Tao [Bird]

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Orpheal posted what many are presumably thinking. Will this close-knit guild actually come together to remember Doug, or will they be relying on Anet to make something for them?

Let’s be honest here – this is a theme park video game. If one of my real life friends passed away I wouldn’t be looking for a digital commerative tombstone, I’d be making arrangements to pay my respects to his family.

RoseofGilead.8907

Orpheal posted what many are presumably thinking. Will this close-knit guild actually come together to remember Doug, or will they be relying on Anet to make something for them?

Let’s be honest here – this is a theme park video game. If one of my real life friends passed away I wouldn’t be looking for a digital commerative tombstone, I’d be making arrangements to pay my respects to his family.

In this case, his family play the game. Three members of his family have even posted in this very thread thanking the OP for the kind gesture. And I don’t think, when people make these threads, they’re relying on Anet to do anything. They’re already remembering their friend or family member, and they want to take an extra step in the direction of honoring said friend/family member.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

I’m sorry for your loss…… We will see him in the mists….

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I’m sorry for your loss. My in game friend passed away last April and I have been trying to contact anet as well. You should try reddit maybe to get more attention

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

in hope, that Anet reacts on it and grants you your wish to give a dead prson some kind of special memorial – I don’t know, I personally absolutely don’t find that this is right and that this would be something that the dead person in question would find ok too that you literally “beg for him/her” for attention.

I support Gravestones as Guil Hall Feature! (just to be clear)

I’m nominating Orpheal for the 2015 Equine Posterior Award for finding a way to completely disrespect the OP and their state of grief while still agreeing with them. I’m actually surprised you didn’t ask if you could “have his stuff”.

@OP ~ I am deeply saddened by your loss and hope Anet grants you the memorial. It won’t be closure but it will be a positive reminder of everything he brought into your life

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

(edited by Muusic.2967)

Posted by: Cyan.6904

Cyan.6904

I’m so sorry for your loss. I think it’s a wonderful idea, mostly because we all grieve on our own way. To honor him in game, as you are a strong Gw2 community, seems only fitting. It would be great if Anet could make it happen. =)

Cyan Graceland — Elementalist
The Knights Temple [TKT] — Aurora Glade

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

This is pefectly reasonable. OP’s request doesn’t require Anet to do anything special or give thier guild special treatment.

Basically, if we have the option to decorate our guild hall, one of the options could be a memorial.

All anet’s gotta do is make a few plaques and statues with player-customizable mesages when interacted with.

A guild could then commemorate anything they wanted, be it a player death or just that one time they kicked a bunch of people’s butts in WvW and wanted to make some kind of statue celebrating their legendary victory.

Sounds like a fun and reasonable idea to me.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Utterly fantastic idea.. I was a guild co founder from another MMO and we had a similar situation and thorough our small in game guild we were able to donate both in game to something and out of game in RL .. those same players are still together 10 years on, many of us good friends in RL now and some of us have even come together in GW2.

ANET, this is an idea which would carry a very personal touch from both the gaming family/community and ANET themselves.. let’s see this happen sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Skychok.7854

Skychok.7854

In my opinion, these kinds of things should be left out of the game. It’s sad that he died but people die all the time.

Posted by: Undead Shadow.5607

Undead Shadow.5607

I’m sorry for your loss. losing a friend and loved one is very hard. i hope anet can add something for you guys to remember your fallen guild mate.

Undead Shadow (DragonBrand)

Posted by: llimus.8453

llimus.8453

OP, you have my +1 for this idea & my condolences.
Hopefully they could let us name the markers themselves, too. That’d be a wonderful addition.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I too am sorry for your loss. If our friends at Anet did this it would truly be an amazing and inspiring act.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

If Anet does one thing with HoT it should be this.

Heart and prayers go out to everyone enduring such a tragedy.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Elorna.5329

Elorna.5329

I was very sad to read the OP and give my condolences to the friends and family but this was an even bigger shocker. I had no idea Wyn died.

The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Condolences, OP & your guild.

I think your suggestion for personalised Guild Hall markers or monuments is excellent. I hope it’s implemented so you, and any other players with similar wishes, have somewhere to collectively remember.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

I am not even remotly connected to this guild. And my heart goes out to them for their loss. I do hope it will get better with time.

That said, from an un-involved player pov: Having a customizable monument would be nice as a guild hall feature. It could just be a interactive object where the guild officer in charge can edit the text which would of course be subject to the kitten filter for obvius reasons.
its uses could from Grave marker, to bulletin board, to achievement marker depending on the guild and what they use it for.
1 item, multiple use options.

Just my pov. But this isn’t the Guilds DCI. (that was last august)

So yea, hope the family who lost thier husband/father and the guild who lost their leader will wheater this pain with grace.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

Posted by: Hymenoplera.4781

Hymenoplera.4781

Crowd Control To Major Tom [CC] send their most sincere condolences.

On a personal note, I really would like to see that gravestone. Be strong guys. Be strong.

Posted by: Vespertilionidae.5018

Vespertilionidae.5018

My condolences to everyone affected by this tragic loss.
A great suggestion that I am sure many guilds would make use of for various reasons.
I hope the devs consider adding a feature like this to Guild Halls. The ability to make a Guild Hall personal in ways like this would be good for all Guilds and not a misuse of development time and resources.

Successful opportunism is often indistinguishable from a masterful plan.