Excess HoT mastery points for LS3

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, I haven’t raided so I’m not familiar with the MPs available there. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

why keep adding more?

For the same reason they have more hero challenges than what we need for core specs and the 1 elite we have at the moment?

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Oh no!!!! With all these mastery points I no longer can feel superior to others….. what will I do???? They will have the same number by their name as I have!!!!! I am melting…. melting…

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

For the same reason they have more hero challenges than what we need for core specs and the 1 elite we have at the moment?

I am surprised they didn’t add hero points to Bloodstone Fen.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Can we downgrade these form “mastery” points to “casual” points? I thought the whole point was to have to work towards them and learn to master aspects of the game. Now they throw so many at you that you just get plopped in front of it is just not fun to get them anymore.

At least the raid mastery point additions took a few hours work to learn the fights.

I agree with this suggestion. Might as well delete mastery points from the game because it is so easy to get enough for everything, especially HoT masteries. And the exp is even easier to get. I think the whole mastery system is a failure at the current implementation.
Not the things you unlock with masteries, but masteries do not feel like you accomplished everything since Anet basically throws everything at you for barely any effort. Being masterly lvl 170 is just as meaningless as being lvl 80 pre HoT.

The same problem exist with legendaries. They are so common and easy to make that the name legendary is missleading.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I’m glad to have a few extra new ones since I haven’t been on enough to find a stable raid group and I hate PuGGing and there’s only a few Adventures I bothered getting gold on (I think I have silver on all except shooting range)

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I read this thread like, “HAI GUISE! STOPS WIT MAKIN THE GAMES FUN! WUT WRONG WIT U!?!?!?”

I can’t grasp any reason as to why anyone would complain about a reward for doing something. Its like telling the baker to make a cake out of celery…kinda defeats the purpose, don’t ya think?

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Can we downgrade these form “mastery” points to “casual” points? I thought the whole point was to have to work towards them and learn to master aspects of the game. Now they throw so many at you that you just get plopped in front of it is just not fun to get them anymore.

At least the raid mastery point additions took a few hours work to learn the fights.

I agree with this suggestion. Might as well delete mastery points from the game because it is so easy to get enough for everything, especially HoT masteries. And the exp is even easier to get. I think the whole mastery system is a failure at the current implementation.
Not the things you unlock with masteries, but masteries do not feel like you accomplished everything since Anet basically throws everything at you for barely any effort. Being masterly lvl 170 is just as meaningless as being lvl 80 pre HoT.

The same problem exist with legendaries. They are so common and easy to make that the name legendary is missleading.

I’m not sure most of the playerbase plays 6, 8, 10 hours a day. Not playing for extended amounts of time, they may not be so adept, and it may actually be more challenging and time-consuming to ‘accomplish everything’.

Thus, I hope (and am pretty sure) ArenaNet designs content with more than the outliers in mind.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I second adding more to core Tyria. Buffing it in every way would be nice QoL for us vanilla players.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I am glad and appreciative that ANet has added more ways to acquire HoT mastery points.

I got stuck on 120 for ages, primarily due to some of the adventures being locked out all the time behind events etc or the ridiculous silver/gold requirements on some. Plus raids. I don’t have anyone to raid with plus I have a job so not adequate time to stick to a raid schedule either so that’s out of the question.

I’ll try to go back to HoT maps and see if I can finish these Masteries… But you OP, should be thankful that they are giving us more diverse options to acquire them instead of being pigeon-holed into a route which we may or may not be able to achieve.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

anet should make it so that you would be able to spend all the points you get.
the points are not that hard to get anyway.
And it feels really boring to gain a MP with no use, it is like leveling up after level 80, it becomes something you dont care about. I liked the idea with MP-system, as there was some reward for doing something well. and also it was the closest thing to prestige in this game, as everyone got legendary weapons, all are lvl 80 with ascended (ppl who played more than 200 hours) and everyone can gain almost every title. So the idea about getting that high number next to your name at least was something nice. like the legendary icon from pvp (although anyone could get it, all it took was a little bit of grinding, like getting the mastery points is now, since all the hard ones are not needed)

Yet people who raid will always have a higher number than those who do not. As the number only goes up if you spend them. So your argument holds no real weigh. Anyone who plays PvE and not raid will top out, but people who raid will always have more. Wanting to be a special snowflake is never a good reason.

lol that is like saying everyone should have the same number (lvl) in wvw, because it is unfair for those who dont like wvw that they dont have the same stuff.

imo a mastery point should be for mastering something. and if u master everything you should have a higher number than ppl who only master doing world bosses or smt.

anet have been downhill for some time, with trying to make everything good for the casuals. like calling it achievements, and then letting people get 15k ap (about half of the ap the ppl with max ap got) just for logging in and standing afk in a pvp match or logging some wood, or getting a portal to a jp. what an amazing achivement.
now they have a chance to make up for their failure of giving AP to everyone, ive got 32k and that means nothing except that i grinded alot, but they could make it so that these masterypoints showed more than just how good you are at grinding.

Everything you have said is your personal choice, the game needs casual players, they spend gems too, probably more than the hard core as he don’t have the gold to convert. No not everyone should have the same number in WvW, that’s your rank, and has to be earned just like filling up a mastery XP bar. Funny thing is, people can always catch you up, why is it they having full mastery points take away from you? Same with AP? I really don’t get it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Supz.9836

Supz.9836

As many have already said, please keep adding them, so we can play the game we want to play and not be forced into adventures which I do not enjoy at all to be able to unlock skills and items which I do want.

Great patch/update overall.

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

basicly it comes down to this: If a game is too easy it will be no fun.

it would be like being able to get 300 skill points in the first act of diablo. just so that people can get the skill points the way they want.
and after getting maxed out, all the fun in getting them will be gone.

or if an rpg game would give you 1.000.000 gold for doing one quest, but the most expensive item was 100 gold. it would take the fun of progressing away.

like it is casual wars 2 right now, no reward = no fun.

(edited by kyrie.8530)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I sure hope this is a troll post from the OP.

Some guys of the
“I slaved 10+ hours every day in GW2, I deserve respect!”
already lended him his support, so I can safely assume that the OP would also be for reducing the wvw levels to 1020 or something at the maximum or ban people from pvp tournaments after they have lagendary status.

And regarding the game being too easy, i don´t know if it really rewarding in the sense of an MMO to be good at supermario wars 2 or counter strike wars 2 and achieve gold at ridiculous stuff like the Bongo and Faren adventure or just mind numbingly boring to do it over and over again.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

As many have stated, the addition of new ways to get Mastery Points is a good thing! It’s sort of like adding new dishes to a buffet: you can make a choice from an expending menu of options.

I am not maxed on MPs for either HoT or CT. Hey, I’ve been busy! As a daily player, I warmly welcome more ways for me to get those points.

But there is no way to use the dozens of extra points that can be gained casually.

So what?

Malediktus.9250

I’m not sure most of the playerbase plays 6, 8, 10 hours a day. Not playing for extended amounts of time, they may not be so adept, and it may actually be more challenging and time-consuming to ‘accomplish everything’.

Thus, I hope (and am pretty sure) ArenaNet designs content with more than the outliers in mind.

I spend only a small fraction of my time on stuff like legendaries. So even if you only play 10h a week you can make several legendaries per year, which iis why you see so many people with multiple legendaries.
And getting the essential masteries is just a matter of a month (starting with a fresh account), too, even for the really casual players.
It is really a problem with GW2, there are hardly any long term goals/tasks other than time gated stuff like legendary armor which we cannot even finish yet.
Anet released a new map and there were people after 2 days who already unlocked all the achievements and rewards the map has to offer. That does not sound like sustainable MMO content at all.
Maybe that is why a lot of people do not log in for much other than patch days, I can see it in my friendlist where the activity sharply declines again after every patch because they already finished everything. The game needs more grind.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Proclus.8069

Proclus.8069

This is great news. Love more options to get them. Good patch so far, as others have said.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Add many, many more Central Tyria mastery points.

As someone who completed the various stories years ago, it appears the “Hero” points aren’t available to me.

I don’t do fractals, so those are out.

That leaves the one locked behind crafting 18 sets of ascended armour (wtf?) Or similarly locked ones.

The point being, there aren’t enough points to go around.

Please, please add more?

BrotherBelial.3094

I spend only a small fraction of my time on stuff like legendaries. So even if you only play 10h a week you can make several legendaries per year, which iis why you see so many people with multiple legendaries.
And getting the essential masteries is just a matter of a month (starting with a fresh account), too, even for the really casual players.
It is really a problem with GW2, there are hardly any long term goals/tasks other than time gated stuff like legendary armor which we cannot even finish yet.
Anet released a new map and there were people after 2 days who already unlocked all the achievements and rewards the map has to offer. That does not sound like sustainable MMO content at all.
Maybe that is why a lot of people do not log in for much other than patch days, I can see it in my friendlist where the activity sharply declines again after every patch because they already finished everything. The game needs more grind.

Cool story, I’ve been playing HoT since launch and I’ve yet to max my masteries. So yeah if you want to pour all your game time on one thing, yes you can max things get X item in no time, but if you like to do a little of this and that, it will take you a lot longer, just because you can do things in X amount of time will not mean everyone can.

Adding more points to make things easier for new and people who are bad at some content will not devalue your work. It seems to me they are adding new tracks, and sone will be needed for the LW3, so ANet is making sure not to lock people out of the story, it was a point of contention with HoT’s launch, they probably don’t want to do that again. But then the so called “Elite” or “Hard Core” players don’t want people to be able to just play the game. Ho no, everyone must play the way they do because anything else makes them less elite for some bizarre reason only they truly understand. If you feel the game needs more grind, and ANet are very against grind, maybe this is not the game for you, or you could just accept the game for what it is, not what you want it to be.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: Imiona.4752

Imiona.4752

As a new Player who just discovered i would have to do boring stuff i dont want to do (collecting spoons, really?) i very welcome this change. They just forgot to add extra ways to get Kryta Mastery Points.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Cool story, I’ve been playing HoT since launch and I’ve yet to max my masteries. So yeah if you want to pour all your game time on one thing, yes you can max things get X item in no time, but if you like to do a little of this and that, it will take you a lot longer, just because you can do things in X amount of time will not mean everyone can.

Adding more points to make things easier for new and people who are bad at some content will not devalue your work. It seems to me they are adding new tracks, and sone will be needed for the LW3, so ANet is making sure not to lock people out of the story, it was a point of contention with HoT’s launch, they probably don’t want to do that again. But then the so called “Elite” or “Hard Core” players don’t want people to be able to just play the game. Ho no, everyone must play the way they do because anything else makes them less elite for some bizarre reason only they truly understand. If you feel the game needs more grind, and ANet are very against grind, maybe this is not the game for you, or you could just accept the game for what it is, not what you want it to be.

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

More options only adds more possibilities, which leads to longer playability. Anyone who would rather see the opposite (elitists), might want to find a more competitive game if they hate seeing people catch up to them.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Malediktus.9250

So what have you been doing since launch? The first people had all masteries maxed after less than a week. It has been like 9 months now. Are you telling me these hardcore people played in less than a week than you in 9 months? I doubt it.

More options only adds more possibilities, which leads to longer playability. Anyone who would rather see the opposite (elitists), might want to find a more competitive game if they hate seeing people catch up to them.

There are not many games like that, the MMORPGs I played before GW2 are dead (either shutdown or wasteland because 10y+ old) or casualized to the point that they are nothing special anymore.
And if you havent noticed less and less MMORPGs get released nowadays, because they are simply a high risk low reward investment to the gaming industry, so it is unlikely GW2 will see true competition in the upcoming years.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I for one am thankful they added new Mastery points that I can get just by playing and doing things that I enjoy. I really disliked having Masteries in the adventures. Getting them meant I had to stop doing what I liked to go off and find something I didn’t like and do it instead. I’m not playing a game for entertainment to do things I don’t like to get points to finish up mastery lines that aren’t particularly useful to me.

Thank you ANet for adding Mastery points for simply playing your game.

I agree with this. I am glad for the additional Mastery points though I haven’t used them on the last two masteries I need because I wasn’t sure if we had any new masteries coming up that I would need them for. I liked how this one was done and it was very easy to get the unbound magic to get the flying skills opened up. I had that done the first day. This worked well for me.

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

As one of the many who’ve maxed out all masteries, I can wholeheartedly agree that having more ways to max them out is a very good thing. Not everbody can stomach doing all the adventure masteries.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I’ve just started playing HoT this week and I do enjoy collecting the masteries but I am glad there will be a choice where to get them. I had to smile at Dragon’s ominous reference to “adventure masteries” because as of yet I don’t even have a clue what those are to begin with.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Also my reaction at your average mastery point adventure unlock.

Seriously I want spirit shards so filling them out would be nice.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

Yes i hate the mastery points hidden behind doing story quests to gain achievements, as you are forced to repeat the same story over and over again, this is no fun at all.

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Some people are really selfish…

I don’t understand why people have to complain about non-issues that have no negative impact, but actually benefit a huge number of players.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

BrotherBelial.3094

So what have you been doing since launch? The first people had all masteries maxed after less than a week. It has been like 9 months now. Are you telling me these hardcore people played in less than a week than you in 9 months? I doubt it.

There are not many games like that, the MMORPGs I played before GW2 are dead (either shutdown or wasteland because 10y+ old) or casualized to the point that they are nothing special anymore.
And if you havent noticed less and less MMORPGs get released nowadays, because they are simply a high risk low reward investment to the gaming industry, so it is unlikely GW2 will see true competition in the upcoming years.

Sorry I didn’t grind out content, I got what I had to so I could finish the HoT story. I’ve yet to Max Nochie and Itzle, mostly because I don’t care to. Why is it what I, or anyone else for that matter, do such a problem for you? I play PvP, WvW Dungeons, fractles. So I didn’t max everything because I wanted to play something else, I didn’t Enjoy HoT till the April patch. But why do I need to explain my self to you?

As for MMO’s not being made, yes you are right, but at the same time, 99% of them are the same. Played one, played them all, that’s what’s so great about GW2, it is so different to all of the other games.

As I said, Take GW2 for what it is, not what you think it should be.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Adventures are lame. I appreciate the ability to earn mastery points in other ways. I’m sure everyone has their own preferences. This should add some flexibility in terms of how players choose to approach earning the mastery points they want. Keep them coming, I say!

Posted by: Luac Agwayen.6419

Luac Agwayen.6419

Adventures are lame. I appreciate the ability to earn mastery points in other ways. I’m sure everyone has their own preferences. This should add some flexibility in terms of how players choose to approach earning the mastery points they want. Keep them coming, I say!

So much this, considering that Masteries are meant to be a stand in for the usual leveling. it shouldnt be so much of a trouble to get Mastery Points. So more options to choose from is just right. So i agree, keep them coming, I say!

Posted by: Lyndina.7984

Lyndina.7984

I like the way that they added more Masterypoints. honestly,i suck at the most adventures and mostly i can get it only to silver. Goldmedal is not possible for me…so its nice that they add other ways to obtain these. Now i need only 20 to have all Masteries (except the raid ones, i dont raid anymore). So yeah keep on making the Mastery points this way A-net.

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

I am so grateful that they added more mastery points with only using up one for this release. Please, keep it up.

Posted by: Imiona.4752

Imiona.4752

considering that Masteries are meant to be a stand in for the usual leveling. it shouldnt be so much of a trouble to get Mastery Points.

Couldnt agree more

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Hopefully they will be adding more to CT (ASAP).

Posted by: Stone.7563

Stone.7563

I agree with the OP. Dont add more of one thing that the other. Extras are cool but 10 extras for 1 point is a very slippery slope…

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Why people are bothered about how OTHER players get their mastery points is beyond me. This community is the absolute worst sometimes.

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

people dont seem to understand that there are other reasons for disliking all these mastery pts, that just because people with many hope that the casuals will never catch up.
it’s like in any singleplayer game, people want to get a reward when doing something hard, and be encouraged to get better. By adding more Anet is just encouraging people to stay bad. at least I like to play well in any aspect of the game, and to get a reward for doing so.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

people dont seem to understand that there are other reasons for disliking all these mastery pts, that just because people with many hope that the casuals will never catch up.
it’s like in any singleplayer game, people want to get a reward when doing something hard, and be encouraged to get better. By adding more Anet is just encouraging people to stay bad. at least I like to play well in any aspect of the game, and to get a reward for doing so.

Most people in PvE are playing for fun and have little to no interest in improving their skill, especially when ‘getting good’ requires sticking to a narrowly defined path, and completing objectives they don’t enjoy.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

“people dont seem to understand that there are other reasons for disliking all these mastery pts, that just because people with many hope that the casuals will never catch up.
it’s like in any singleplayer game, people want to get a reward when doing something hard, and be encouraged to get better. By adding more Anet is just encouraging people to stay bad. at least I like to play well in any aspect of the game, and to get a reward for doing so”

Again, how does how other people get mastery points, have anything to do with you?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

More, give me more, give me more… mastery points and masteries. I like.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

most selfish post ever…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Sound like sour grapes from someone who feels like they had to work hard for Mastery Points. I sympathize but am personally glad to have additional Mastery Point choices. They are still not enough for me. Hopefully this is a sign that Anet will start giving their players MORE choices instead of less.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Clearys.2561

Clearys.2561

Then can we talk about hero points ? I agree that some extra mastery points are cool but there are really too much extra hero points, it’s about 314 if i remember well so i hope that we’ll use them one day and we will have less extra points, like only 100 or 150 cause this is really too much now x/

(edited by Clearys.2561)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t mind. Rather have a subset needed to unlock all masteries rather than be forced, like in CT and have a limited choice of MP that range from annoying to expensive to extremely difficult to obtain on my own.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Then can we talk about hero points ? I agree that some extra mastery points are cool but there are really too much extra hero points, it’s about 314 if i remember well so i hope that we’ll use them one day and we will have less extra points, like only 100 or 150 cause this is really too much now x/

This is the same conversation with a different name. Why is it a problem if there are too many points, hero or mastery? It’s just a number. And you’ll be very thankful for all those hero points when more elite specs come out.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Add more mastery points, add more hero points, then add more ways to expend them.
This is no rocket science: more alternatives is always good.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

No, the point was to give an alternative to adding another 10 or so levels with each expansion, account wide horizontal progression rather than per character vertical progression.

The “mastery” refers to the new abilities you master through the system but the actual system is justa combination of general XP and points unlocked through arbitrary achievements.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Update added 11 HoT mastery points, and new mastery only used 1.

Unless there is going to be a way to use extra points, why keep adding more?

11? I only counted 7. Where did the other 4 came from?

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

More MP’s are fine, now we need a few more for Core Tyria!

^^ This, please…^^