Excess HoT mastery points for LS3

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

I cannot tell if trolling or just… I dunno, whatever you call someone that is unintentionally trolling.

So you have extra points saved up. Get over it. Bloody hell!

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

If someone is complaining about extra MPs on the map then maybe they should put in a ticket to have some of theirs transferred to a friend?

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

I agree with the OP. Dont add more of one thing that the other. Extras are cool but 10 extras for 1 point is a very slippery slope…

This is the problem, added 7 mastery points for a mastery track that requires 1 point, and the required point was even rewarded for completing the mission to get to Bloodstone Fen.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I agree with the OP. Dont add more of one thing that the other. Extras are cool but 10 extras for 1 point is a very slippery slope…

This is the problem, added 7 mastery points for a mastery track that requires 1 point, and the required point was even rewarded for completing the mission to get to Bloodstone Fen.

No, the problem is you’re assuming that the 7 mastery points are for a mastery track that requires only 1 point. Do you not see the silliness in that assumption? You seem to be under the impression that there has to be an equal amount of mastery points available as there are masteries to spend them on… what dev ever stated that this was to be the case?

The other 6 are most likely for what many other people have said: more options to get your MPs. I don’t see that as a bad thing. The second most likely is for upcoming additional mastery tracks… also not a bad thing that they can be achieved early. Ymmv.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Mez Koo.9510

for upcoming additional mastery tracks… also not a bad thing that they can be achieved early. Ymmv.

~EW

Right, for that track in next episode that requires 2 points, and another dozen free extra points through “achievements”

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

for upcoming additional mastery tracks… also not a bad thing that they can be achieved early. Ymmv.

~EW

Right, for that track in next episode that requires 2 points, and another dozen free extra points through “achievements”

If you’re right, would you please buy me a lotto ticket?

Seriously though, it’s possible they’re part of the infrastructure of S3 as a whole, and it made more sense to have some of them available ahead of time… but that’s just speculation… makes more sense than thinking that 7 points were designed to be slotted in 1 slot.

Instead of all of that, as I said above (and others have, too), it’s most likely just for more options. You may hate more options, but that’s a you problem and not a game problem.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

What about the extras from before Bloodstone Fen? I don’t remember a big outcry about those….

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m with the opinion, that if they add alot more Mastery Points, they should also add enough new Masteries to make usage of the new points that have been added.

This way people should have to make a decision of players use the new points rather for some oolder masteries to get them done easier, of if they use the new points for the new masteries and postpone with this decision the point when they have to do finally also the other content of the game to get the last missing mastery points to max everythign and master the game, unless Anet added again new point before this happens and brings you again to the point, that you can decide to use the new easy points for maxing either older masteries and postponing for you the harder to achieve points to max out everything, or use them directly for the newst masteries…

Theres still so much potential for new masteries especialyl for the overall game for central tyria and in general and what do they make? They keep on addign masteries that are map bounded and only useful for the newest map, instesad of making overall useful masteries, that are useful for the player, regardless on which map you are playing!!

Bring on finally the masteries, that should have been added from begin on when you introduced the mastery system with the expansion!!!

Add finally Masteries like:

Gathering Masteries Lines for Mining, Woodcutting and Herbs and add more gathering methods like Fishing and Digging to give for these gathering methods also masteries.

Add a Mastery Line for Crafting
Add a Mastery Line for Salvaging
Add a Mastery Line for Haggling with NPCs so that buying and selling items with them becomes more lucrative for us and lets us reduce also costs for specific currencies in maps so better we can haggle…

Now with Flying Combat being in the game, add a Gliding Combat Mastery that improves our maneuvery in air by lettign us become able to prform Rolls , Loopings and such stuff in air to deflect attacks and to dodge attacks and to unlock maneuver skills that resemble the Glint Skills to glide for hsort moments alot faster, to jump higher to get a better highr position to start gliding from the ground up.

Add a mastery for Riding Mounts and add mounted combat as new feature to unlock that way also the ability to ride various kinds of “War Mounts” like devourers, junundu wurms and what not all (grand moas, gryphons ect pp) and to get mounts in general as travel utility to travel faster around than running on ground areas where its allowed and possible to use them

Add Faction Masteries that give you unique new utility skilsl based on the faction your character belongs to (Vigil, Whispers, Durmand) which work also like some kind of reputation system to unlock other faction based features for you in the game to let the three factions become again a bit more meaningful for the player

Add profession based masteries to increase this way also a bit more the Character Development to improve the abilities of what classes should be able to do in PvE without linking these abilities to traits, skils ect. like for an example a Thief Class receiving Masteries like

• Shadow Form, which improves for PvE especially the Thieves Stealth and Shadow Steppings to learn this way new improved versions of Stealth and Shadow Steps (Camouflage & Shadow Runs) which could enable the Thief to do alot of new things with these skill types that they previously couldn’t do for example, like becoming a shadow under camouflage to attack unseen for some time enemies, without that you get instantly revealed but first after the duration of stealth runs out or becomign with camouflage a shadow to move alot faster in that time than normal and seeign things now also, that you couldn’t see before that were hidden in darkness/behind magical illusions. With Shadow Runs for example you could then shadow step through things unharmed, where you woudl get damaged and die with a normal shadow step because of being too “slow” to reach this way through shadow runs locations, which you wouldn’t reach with simple shadow steps as a thief.

Think just of the many other possible class related masteries with that ANet could add more character development for everybody to make especialyl this way PvE for us alot more interesting and eventually also the other game modes, (especially WvW im thinking about, which needs finally moreclass related character development!!! to make it more interesting and to give classes in WvW more defined roles, advantages and disadvantages, thigns in which each class in wvw is especially good for and thing,s where other classes are better suited for due to their class retated wvw character development that gives them better suiting features for specific roles in WvW like for exmaple Elementalists getting that way character development improvements, that let them become superior in destroying walls and gates with their mighty elemental spells, where thieves gain the ability to remove enemy traps from the field or can remove the effects of sabotaging tricks like that annoying thign that disables siege weapons for a long time so that if you have a thief with you that has mastered the mastery for fixing sabotages could then remove those effets when using the siege weapon, or could work with a little telegraphing on them, to let the duration of the sabotaging effect run down faster…to make the siege weapon quicker ready to use again, if instant removal would be too much ,then at least a speed up process for removing the disabling effect that way if you have a thief with you that mastered the ability to do that.

Then there are possible masteries like a Waypoint Mastery that could enable you to reduce the costs of usage, or enable you to use a new type of Way Point or to use som kind of new type of Asura Portal Technology that lets you basically travel anywhere where you want and not only to specific waypoints on the map /thus giving you the ability to set up for yourself personal waypoints)

Then theres the possibility foran Inventory Management Mastery to add finally useful features like Auto Selling, Auto Salvaging, Auto Chest Deposits, when we have already auto Looting, these auto mechanics are essentially an overdue MUST to imrove significantly the inventory management of this game to drasticalyl reduce the clicking wars in this game to a minimum. Mastery for this feature, because not everybody wants to have these automatics, so unless you dont want to have them acttive, dont learn the mastery same as like it is with auto looting.

So much yet unused potential and thats the kind of masteries, which i personaly want to see gettign added ASAP and not such regional map locked masteries, that are only useful for these specific maps and nowhere else in the whole game.
The mastery system should be there to add more character development and to be a way to add more needed QoL features to the game that can be connected to character development.. not to add unneccessary map locked mechanics only that makes no usage of the real potential that this mastery system can provide for the game to improve the game also.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^No, no mounts. Whether through Masteries or no.

Also, more choice is infinitely better than less choice. Bring on the alternate ways to acquire Mastery Points.

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

As many have stated, the addition of new ways to get Mastery Points is a good thing! It’s sort of like adding new dishes to a buffet: you can make a choice from an expending menu of options.

I am not maxed on MPs for either HoT or CT. Hey, I’ve been busy! As a daily player, I warmly welcome more ways for me to get those points.

But there is no way to use the dozens of extra points that can be gained casually.

Are you talking about Hero points or Mastery points? Don’t know about you but I’ve been at this a while and I still have a bunch of MP’s that I need to finish maxing out my HoT line. After that it will be much like the WxP for WvW and so on… lots of extra stuff we can’t do anything with… But at least the HP’s can be used for all characters now.

… just call me … Tim :)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

@OP

Imagine somebody wants to finish all the masteries, but doesn’t like adventures. If there are exactly enough mastery points for all masteries that player would be forced to do all the content, including that which they didn’t like.

Now imagine there’s a surplus of mastery points. A player can finish all the masteries by playing all or mostly content they want to play.

We keep saying on this forum that options are a good thing. Excess mastery points are options.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

you give people less they whine, you give people extra they whine.. huh, some people are just born ungrateful…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

No, the problem is you’re assuming that the 7 mastery points are for a mastery track that requires only 1 point. Do you not see the silliness in that assumption? You seem to be under the impression that there has to be an equal amount of mastery points available as there are masteries to spend them on… what dev ever stated that this was to be the case?

The other 6 are most likely for what many other people have said: more options to get your MPs. I don’t see that as a bad thing. The second most likely is for upcoming additional mastery tracks… also not a bad thing that they can be achieved early. Ymmv.

~EW

Exactly. Only living story season 3 episode 1 was released. More will probably added to the new mastery requiring those extra points you just got.

The problem I see coming: by the time LS3 has been fully released, you’ll wind up in the same situation you are now. Sure, you could use the extra mastery points for the old HoT mastery line now, or save them for when they add more to this new mastery.

In the end you’re going to have to do content you don’t want to do and/or is too challenging for you, such as raids or adventures, in order to have all HoT masteries completed.

I don’t even have all HoT masteries filled myself. In fact, I don’t have a single HoT mastery completed to max tier. I started doing the HoT story line, but kept getting hung up in Verdant Brink. I couldn’t progress the story until I had a specific mastery unlocked, which involved grinding XP for the mastery and having to figure out how to get mastery points around the map. So I did, but then after completing the next episode or 2 I wound up having to unlock the next tier of the mastery, which of course involved having to get even more mastery points than the last tier. And it required you to have certain tiers in different masteries for specific thinks, like bouncing mushrooms or updraft use for gliding. I pretty much gave up at that point due to constantly hitting roadblocks in the HoT personal story.

Sure, I could forget about the HoT story, and go straight to LS season 3 and get those mastery points in Bloodstone Fen, but for HoT I’m still gonna hit roadblocks.

Right now, I need a total of 20 mastery points to get the last 2 tiers of gliding, 12 more points to get the final tier of Itzel Lore, 15 more for Exalted Lore, haven’t started on Nuhoch Lore at all so I need another 31 points for that, and I don’t have Forsaken Thicket mastery unlocked yet but it looks like that’s another 8 I need.

Counting the new mastery, it looks like I need around 87 HoT mastery points to complete all of them, and I only have 7 to spend right now. I only need 2 more points for Central Tyria to have that complete, but all the ones available are locked behind achievements that are too difficult to get, or game modes I don’t care to play.

Thanks ArenaNet.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

These threads are difficult for me. I have always supported choices for gamers, whether I choose to take them or not is of course my own choice.

For this reason I support the addition of alternate mastery points in either HoT or core Tyria.

My problem is that I am unsure why the petulant, often selfish or self centred are rewarded for their attempts to screw over others in attempts to stroke their own ego.

I should support the freedom to choose to be a total Kitten but it appears I am just not that pro choice.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

More easy-to-earn Mastery Points please!

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I say it gives the players more choice of where to get their MP. What is the “problem” with it?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I say it gives the players more choice of where to get their MP. What is the “problem” with it?

That’s what we’re trying to figure out, because only OP seems to be upset with how it is now.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: kyrie.8530

kyrie.8530

I want something to use my extra mastery points on.

Posted by: Scar Rufo.7935

Scar Rufo.7935

HoT was a poor expansion to me and I find that the way that the mastery point system was implemented has created a lot of probs, especially for me. I absolutely hate that they put 30 points into seriously crappy “adventures” and that blocks my progress in completing a few of the mastery lines. I almost quit the game over it. I won’t be buying a new expansion until I see how they add more to this system because it is seriously flawed. Many people are still trying to get the Central Tyria points; as others have mentioned. I have given up on it since any complaint is met with the usual counter-arguments of “you are acting entitled” or “get good”. Adding some more points is a move in the right direction to me and having extras seems unimportant to me.

For years in the game, people got a spirit shard when their experience bar rolled over; now Anet has made it so only the ’"special snowflakes" get it; seems like a lousy design to me. OP should be happy he is one of them.

Seems to me like the Mastery Point system is set up only for the raiders and elite hard-core players and less for casual players. Would like to believe that is not true, time will tell.

Posted by: Zephic.3075

Zephic.3075

We could definitely use more mastery points, in my honest opinion. Even if they are in excess, there are always those who need the easier options than doing some of the harder adventures. Some of us just don’t have the reflexes for them.

Can we get some more for Central Tyria? I always felt it was a bit unfair that four of the mastery points were locked on randomly spawning legendary enemies in the Silverwastes. I already have all the masteries unlocked, but for newer players, I can see that this can be a bit problematic, especially if they don’t have LS2.

Mez Koo.9510

Seems to me like the Mastery Point system is set up only for the raiders and elite hard-core players and less for casual players.

No it isn’t. Those players can have 40-50 extra points and no way to use them, and the spirit shard pity prize is pointless because those players probably have like 2000+ spirit shards (and you get a handful every day from quick dailies).

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

Update added 11 HoT mastery points, and new mastery only used 1.

Unless there is going to be a way to use extra points, why keep adding more?

Because “complete chosen ones from range we offer to unlock all masteries” is simply better than “complete everything to unlock all masteries”.

Choice is almost always good for you.

Posted by: DDCarvalho.2071

DDCarvalho.2071

I agree that masteries should be obtainable from a a variety of sources and people shouldn’t be gated from game mechanics if they haven’t completed all content at the highest level (gold adventures, raids). To expect that only the best should have access to all mechanics is elitism.

However, if there are people that would like so much to show off that they got all the points, even the superfluous ones, one option would be to put a “aesthetical” mastery, that would award just some shiny effect at the cost of all the redundant points. This way, they can choose to show off, and if they do so, they are choosing to forego the use of those points in the future to insta-buy new abilities being introduced.

I would make it so only people that completed all the main masteries (gliding, frog1, frog2, etc) would have access to this one, so people are not able to shoot themselves in the foot so easily. And new tiers could be made with each new release that introduces more mastery points.

What do the elitists and casuals think? I know that as a casual, I would not mind elitists being able to get some shiny effect at the cost of foregoing their mastery padding.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

As long as it was not so blingy it interfered with other people, especially those that are photosensitive. Think 100% brightness or a walking strobe light. If they have the rewards equivalent of a new skin that just satisfies their completeness OCD go for it.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because “complete chosen ones from range we offer to unlock all masteries” is simply better than “complete everything to unlock all masteries”.

Choice is almost always good for you.

And the next expansion will likely have it’s own Mastery points so excess isn’t an issue, unlike Hero Points for the next elite specialization.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Pittcrew.6592

Pittcrew.6592

That’s the most selfish post I’ve ever seen. If you don’t want them don’t get them but many, many people have asked for ways to get more beyond adventures. Wow, it’s no wonder i rarely come to these boards anymore.

Not sure if others have said this, but I will point out that when you have capped your masteries, it’s easily to forget and lose touch with the needs of newer/unfinished players. It doesn’t mean they are ill-intentioned or being selfish, they likely just forgot. I have forgotten myself when wondering why they added the 30% map xp boost in Bloodstone Fen, and then was reminded that it’s good for leveling masteries for those who need to still finish them.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

An abundance of Mastery points is about as problematic as an abundance of Hero points (ie. It’s not.) While you are unlocking your elite spec, Hero points are of great value. Once you’ve finished, their value is diminished. Mastery points are the same thing and that’s okay.

If anything, perhaps they should display Mastery level by # of points acquired instead of # of points spent. That way those with more points can show off their higher number, even if it’s meaningless?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

An abundance of Mastery points is about as problematic as an abundance of Hero points (ie. It’s not.) While you are unlocking your elite spec, Hero points are of great value. Once you’ve finished, their value is diminished. Mastery points are the same thing and that’s okay.

If anything, perhaps they should display Mastery level by # of points acquired instead of # of points spent. That way those with more points can show off their higher number, even if it’s meaningless?

I feel you have hit the nail on the head with the “problem” of having more than needed that the special snowflakes seem to have with it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s just the matter of choice.

When there are more than enough points to complete something, then one can’t really complain about the content as much because part of it is inherently optional. Well, okay people will complain anyways, but those of us that are willing to find their way around the stuff we don’t like are going to get whatever we want in silence. Because there were so many complaints that adventures were too big of a chunk of mastery points, this happened.

Nobody’s forcing you to get more points than needed anyways. It’s akin to saying “I’m already full, throw all that food I can’t eat out” while paying attention to nobody else. What a slob, right? It’s just completely astounding that people still haven’t realized that their own path isn’t the only one. But this is true of life in general.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

HoT was a poor expansion to me and I find that the way that the mastery point system was implemented has created a lot of probs, especially for me. I absolutely hate that they put 30 points into seriously crappy “adventures” and that blocks my progress in completing a few of the mastery lines.

Completely agree – why should MP be locked behind mini-games that have nothing to do with the story?

I almost quit the game over it. I won’t be buying a new expansion until I see how they add more to this system because it is seriously flawed.

I am still considering whether I will quit because of the Mastery system. And I definitely will not be purchasing future expansions if they continue the sorry state of “on rails” content that HoT introduced.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol