Excessive Chat filter needs fixed ASAP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

During the Pavilion I spent literally almost half an hour with a gag order on me. I couldn’t talk to anybody using /s or /m. Couldn’t even thank people for rezzing me. I understand completely the need for a spam filter, but it was absolutely ludicrous. Massive amounts of chatter concerning bosses and when to attack what and suddenly I was silenced because of “too much chat.” This isn’t the first time either. Having respectable conversations in /m to suddenly get hit with a restriction because I was apparently talking to much xD.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

The same thing over and over makes it worse. You have to mix it up (though, maybe not economical to do so).

thanks
ty
danke
gracias
thx
thx 2: electric boogaloo
son of thx
etc…

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

They just need to fix it. This has gone on long enough, and it’s a problem in PVE and WvW.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

But I wasn’t even saying the same things over and over. We were legitimately conversing and complaining and otherwise just talking during a Boom Boom Baines fight that took over an hour. Suddenly I couldn’t talk for ages aside from party chat and it was very angering D=

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Agreed. Was commanding a lane and kept getting suppressed, was extremely annoying.

Maybe disable chat suppression for commanders?

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

They won’t disable chat suppression for commanders, because then spammers could just go get commander tags.
There is a time factor in suppression. If you say too much in too short a time, suppression also kicks in.

Elden Arnaas.4870

@ Power Cat – If you’re tagged up commanding, then you could use squad chat.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Had a thread on the same subject earlier, but that one got buried: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suppressed-Messaging-vs-Smart-Bosses

So you’re not alone with this problem.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Agreed. Was commanding a lane and kept getting suppressed, was extremely annoying.

Maybe disable chat suppression for commanders?

This makes the commander tag a 100G license to be an obnoxious spammer.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Not everyone joins squad chat. Not the entire map is in squad chat.

Spamming is still against the ToS, so if they want to waste 100g and get banned, their problem.

Elden Arnaas.4870

The whole point of a commander tag is to get people into a squad, and make use of the commander/squad tools to help organize them. Yeah, some people think of it as a Blue Status Symbol, but while they may technically be commanders, they’ll never command.
There’s really nothing that can be done about people not listening. But I’m not seeing anyone posting to these suppression threads that was actually running a squad. So either no one has tried it, or it’s working. Maybe it’s worth a try?
It seems to me that a properly motivated group of commanders could show up ahead of an event and each of them could direct people to stack on a commander of their choice.(Taking turns and varying wording to avoid suppression.) If any of these commanders have good friends or guild mates with them they can take turns directing people to stack. If the commanders are all in the same guild, they use guild chat to organize, if not they form a party and use party chat. Each of the commanders can use /supplyinfo to tell how many people are stacked within a 180 radius. They can then use guild or party chat to figure out their numbers and local chat (possibly with the help of their assistants) to direct people to commanders with lower numbers. Once the numbers are balanced out have everyone join the squad of the commander that they’re grouped with. Squads are limited to 50 people, but maps are capped at 150, so the 3 group events are covered and a 6 group event is easily covered.
Alternately, you could just tell everyone to pick a commander and join his squad. Then you could handle all the number balancing in squad and party chat. The down side would be people having to leave one squad and join another.
Once the numbers are balanced, the squads start the event and commanders use squad chat to communicate with their squad, party or guild chat to communicate with the other commanders.
TL;DR
Anet has given us tools to use to help organize. We need to try those tools, then say “Yeah, this isn’t working.” (If that’s the case.) Then the whining is justified.
One thing for sure, Anet will not ease up on suppression until a certain issue has been resolved.(if ever) So we need to either help ourselves get organized. It may not always be this severe, but chat suppression is something we’ll always have to deal with.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Until squads can contain 100-150+ players, suppression will be an issue.

Elden Arnaas.4870

How many events are there that require over 50 people per group? Most large events break people into 3 or more groups. Commanders will need to coordinate with the commanders of the other groups.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Tequatl, Temple runs, just to name a few. Not to mention a large squad size is necessary when some wannabe fool refuses to tag down when asked, and intends to cause issues in your event run. Joining a squad means removing that offending tag from your view, and the view of others at the event in your squad.

Elden Arnaas.4870

Geez, there are squad griefers?!? Some people. :p
I believe Anet is thinking that several commanders will coordinate on large events, so that the squad limit of 50 doesn’t interfere much. It seems like you and the commanders who have experience to the contrary would be a good group to take this to Anet. I would approach it as a “command/organizational problem” rather than an “anti-suppression problem”, though. Anet is really big on players learning to organize & coordinate right now, and I think that would be the best way to leverage it.
They aren’t going to loosen up suppression right now, and are probably sick of hearing about it. So I’d leave that out of your request/ticket. I’d treat it as a need for larger squads due to coordination issues.

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

So I’m trying to organise and guide people in the Pavilion event, trying to co-ordinate the boss kills so we get gold and am constantly being blocked for excessive messaging.

Why is this even active on Commanders? We pay 100g for the prviledge to lead and need the ability to send multiple messages without being blocked for spamming.

Yet the gold sellers are able to spam you repeatedly over and over. :\ Doesn’t make sense to me.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

They could also fix it by making the squad system better. More visibility on players in your squad and more visibility for players to see that you can join a squad. And probably more squad benefits too for both sides like small buffs.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

even after you’re supressed you can communicate through emotes

/me thanks you
/me says go this way
…etc.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

This really does need to get fixed. And not just for commanders. I’m often “leading” people around Cursed Shore for events and I get suppressed way too often. I get suppressed for linking WPs and everything else. It’s really frustrating and I honestly don’t understand the reasoning. There’s still lots of annoying people in chat, there’s still lots of spammers. I’m sure there must be a better way.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Maaan, same thing happened to me in Pavillion. It was extremely frustrating, and like you, I wasn’t saying the same things over, I was also conversing and joking around when it happened.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

/me thanks you
/me says go this way
…etc.

Good luck with that on a map full of I Don’t Know Where The Chat Panel Is And What The Hell Is Teamspeak Average Joes.

If they fail to see giant red swords over a turret, they surely will see a grey emote line, yeah.

20 level 80s and counting.

khani.4786

/me thanks you
/me says go this way
…etc.

Good luck with that on a map full of I Don’t Know Where The Chat Panel Is And What The Hell Is Teamspeak Average Joes.

If they fail to see giant red swords over a turret, they surely will see a grey emote line, yeah.

True and there are people who have chat off completely, map chat off, say chat off or just don’t read what’s there in the first place….but better option than nothing at all. :P

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I wonder what percentage of the playerbase plays with /map /say and in-game chat bubbles turned off?

I bet that number is shockingly high. :-/

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Elden Arnaas.4870

Thanks khani, for suggesting emotes. It’s out of the box thinking, but some people have emotes turned off.
re: people that don’t read chat at all – Well, that’s just a lost cause.
It’s kinda sad the number of people who are outraged that they’ve been suppressed for TALKING AND GOOFING OFF, when they should have been listening and fighting. No wonder the Boss Blitz is a disaster.
And thanks Rentapest, for totally not reading this thread and posting the same stuff other people have said over and over before you. Of course, you don’t read threads, so you’ll never see this. :p

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

Pavilion Event…

Ok so I waited for 10mins without typing ANYTHING in /s or /m and waited for the event to begin. After about 3mins into the fight I typed ONCE in /m chat to offer the percentage of my boss and couldn’t type anything after that at all.

This is rediculous and making it impossible to co-ordinate events like the Pavilion which specifically requires communcation constantly between groups.

If you wanted us to go clockwise as a single group without communicating anything, then nerf the bosses and prevent them from passing abilities to others so we can achieve the gold timer this way.

Alternatively, if your intention was to create a more ‘fun’ event by requiring organisation and co-ordination, then allow us to talk to each other using the ONLY tool available to us, (map chat) without being blocked repeatedly for trying to say more than one sentence!

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Maybe you all have been reported for spam during the event and the “gag order” goes out anytime you are in the event.

Not everyone wants to turn off their map chat to shut the commanders up. Especially when the commanders start arguing.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

You can be suppressed in the pavillion for saying a single line. It was bugged like this last year as well. I think it is the announcers.

khani.4786

Thanks khani, for suggesting emotes. It’s out of the box thinking, but some people have emotes turned off.

I live on TC so I always keep emotes on because you never know what you’re going to see next! XD

Posted by: Revler.2359

Revler.2359

agree, fix this crap already

First MMO I ever played that punishes people for interacting. There´s a report button for spammers and an ignore option, that´s more than enough

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

agree, fix this crap already

First MMO I ever played that punishes people for interacting. There´s a report button for spammers and an ignore option, that´s more than enough

Revler you make a good point about in-game tools we have to combat spammers. The punishment is unwarranted indeed.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)