Exclusive faces only through gem purchases...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Saviourslave.6715

Saviourslave.6715

Why do you continue to limit what we can do in character creation, where we establish the personality of our characters more than anywhere else? Why not just add the faces and hairstyles to the game via the character creation screen as well as the Total Makeover Kits? People who want the new faces on their old characters can do so via the total makeover kits, while those who are new to the game can experience the full force of Guild Wars 2’s character creation options right from the beginning? I am fine with weapon skins in the Gem Store. I am fine with Armour skins in the Gem Store. I am even fine with dyes, convenience items and yes, makeover kits in the Gem Store. I’m fine with all of those things, this is not a rant, but I just want to why you guys insist on locking part of this avenue of the game behind gem purchases?

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Having them in the gem store allows a sense of uniqueness to it. If everyone could get them on character creation it would lose some of its appeal. But with the system now you have to actively make the choice to save up for the change. May not be the best way to handle it but it does keep the uniqueness.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Having them in the gem store allows a sense of uniqueness to it. If everyone could get them on character creation it would lose some of its appeal. But with the system now you have to actively make the choice to save up for the change. May not be the best way to handle it but it does keep the uniqueness.

yeah, i don’t think it’s for uniqueness…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind this honestly. GW1 has similar unique options available only through the store makeover kits. The upside to the kits in GW2 is that I can convert gold to gems, instead of having to use cash like in GW1.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I guess this means that the new hairstyles a while back resulted in increased sales of the kits.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You bought the game and you can play all you want all day long all night long for only the cost of the box price. Things like new hair and new faces are extras and if you want them you buy gems and get them. As a bonus you can even buy gems with in game gold to get them. That’s how it works.

The Burninator

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t mind this honestly. GW1 has similar unique options available only through the store makeover kits. The upside to the kits in GW2 is that I can convert gold to gems, instead of having to use cash like in GW1.

Also free kits from AP chest. I guess that won’t work if you are RPing a character with plastic surgery addition. :P

Posted by: Zerole.7306

Zerole.7306

New content = new cost. Anet is proudly a for profit company and there is nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I have 2 Total Makeover Kits in my bank, both from BLC opened with keys from personal story/daily , as others mentioned you can also buy with in game gold, and it is just an aesthetic change, besides all that, many will even use a helmet and hide his uniqueness …
In other words, I’m totally fine with this.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have 2 Total Makeover Kits in my bank, both from BLC opened with keys from personal story/daily , as others mentioned you can also buy with in game gold, and it is just an aesthetic change, besides all that, many will even use a helmet and hide his uniqueness …
In other words, I’m totally fine with this.

In addition to the kit sitting in my bank form the 500 AP chest.
Seriously I have used so many hair and total make over kits it is not funny- and I only ever bought one because I was curious- with gold too- it was 12 g at the time

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Could you imagine the nightmare that would follow if these were just added to the options available to making new characters? There would be enough nerd rage to power the city of New York until the end of time that existing mains have to pay to use them while new characters get them for free.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Hairstyles and Faces etc. are one of the few things I feel comfortable with spending real money for.

It takes no effort to raise item caps for collections from 250 to 1000, just a simple number change.

An artist spent time, effort, and sweat off his brow developing new hairstyles and facial features. That’s where the difference is to me, and why something like Hair is acceptable to cash lock and inventory space is not. No amount of development goes into just changing a number value.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

JustTrogdor.7892

Could you imagine the nightmare that would follow if these were just added to the options available to making new characters? There would be enough nerd rage to power the city of New York until the end of time that existing mains have to pay to use them while new characters get them for free.

Exactly it is a no win. If the new faces were suddenly available for free for new players or new character creations people would be running around here with their heads exploding. Wait they will do that no matter what anyway.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Zerole.7306

Hairstyles and Faces etc. are one of the few things I feel comfortable with spending real money for.

It takes no effort to raise item caps for collections from 250 to 1000, just a simple number change.

An artist spent time, effort, and sweat off his brow developing new hairstyles and facial features. That’s where the difference is to me, and why something like Hair is acceptable to cash lock and inventory space is not. No amount of development goes into just changing a number value.

Just for the record, changing code, even on something you deem so minor, has an associated developmental cost with it. The unlock on item use feature was added and compiled and tested.

You put more value on the artistic side of the development, which is valid a opinion, but it doesn’t mean there was no effort, work, or money invested in changing an item stack size.

Posted by: fizzypop.6458

fizzypop.6458

Character creation in this game is lacking. We all paid for this game it isn’t as if this is a F2P game, let’s stop with that. They can make money by selling kitten, but they still need to update the rest of the game. There isn’t enough faces in the current CC, they should allow for at least 1 of the new faces appear in the CC. They could compromise with a split, but they won’t.

Aeonblade.8709

Just for the record, changing code, even on something you deem so minor, has an associated developmental cost with it. The unlock on item use feature was added and compiled and tested.

You put more value on the artistic side of the development, which is valid a opinion, but it doesn’t mean there was no effort, work, or money invested in changing an item stack size.

Dress it up however you want, art assets take considerably more time and effort than database management.

Zerole.7306

I actually always felt their default character generator was rather robust.

fizzypop.6458

I actually always felt their default character generator was rather robust.

I’ve been spoiled by good character generators. It ain’t that good. I actually accidentally created the same human female twice . Had to delete one of my characters and remake her because she looked the exact same. Hairstyles for sure, a lot of them are just plain ugly or you can’t dye the accessories so no point in using that hairstyle.

I really wish they’d just go with what rift did. Barbershop lets you change everything about your character for free then you buy more options for it if you want it.

(edited by fizzypop.6458)

fizzypop.6458

Character creation in this game is lacking. We all paid for this game it isn’t as if this is a F2P game, let’s stop with that. They can make money by selling kitten, but they still need to update the rest of the game. There isn’t enough faces in the current CC, they should allow for at least 1 of the new faces appear in the CC. They could compromise with a split, but they won’t.

quaint, my dear. Now please allow the adults to talk.

Zerole.7306

Which character generators spoiled you? I do not recall being impressed with Rift’s (since you mentioned it).

Posted by: Factotum.2093

Factotum.2093

The two things aren’t even remotely comparable. Changing a constant into a variable (assuming it wasn’t a variable all along – which it probably was) and recompiling the code takes minutes. The testing required is minimal (unless the original value was hardcoded in a lot of places, and it wasn’t, because Arena Net’s coders aren’t idiots).

When you buy a new face or hairstyle you’re paying for new content that took several days to create, by a group of skilled artists. When you buy a “collection expander” you’re paying to avoid a deliberate inconvenience, created by inflating the amount of materials required for crafting.

Both objectively (in terms of development costs) and conceptually (in terms of new content vs. crippleware / bloat), the two situations are completely different.

About the topic of this thread: I think it’s fine to have extra faces / clothes / dances / hair styles, etc., available at the gem store (I’d rather see them available from in-game NPCs, but apparently GW2 doesn’t support paying gems to NPCs), but we should be able to preview those faces and hair styles before buying the kits.

(edited by Factotum.2093)

JustTrogdor.7892

I agree why don’t you let them.

The Burninator

fizzypop.6458

I <3 fanboy. Where is chum chum?

Aeonblade.8709

Imagine my dismay when I came back from a few months break to find all the people that used to talk down on everyone for asking for improvements to the game no longer play or post here.

Oh the irons, they are too much.

Zerole.7306

Factotum: Lot’s of assumptions there. A code change is a code change. Just because you deem it very easy and straightforward doesn’t mean it was. I’m not sure where you got the time frame for designing a new character face, either.

fizzypop.6458

Which character generators spoiled you? I do not recall being impressed with Rift’s (since you mentioned it).

Oh no rift’s isn’t very good, but at least they had a good idea with the barbershop. Which is what I was saying, it is consumer friendly and still able to make money.

Some of my favorites include aion (I ended up hating the game, still solid), tera (paid options), and vindictus though not consumer friendly as you had to lay down the cash to get to the good stuff. Really any of the asian F2Ps are probably better than GW2. The problem is a lot of them you gotta pay quite a bit of money to make it worth your while. I happen to love creating characters so I often find it worth it if I like the game.

ETA: If I can include games that are single player? Then DAO.

(edited by fizzypop.6458)

fizzypop.6458

Imagine my dismay when I came back from a few months break to find all the people that used to talk down on everyone for asking for improvements to the game no longer play or post here.

Oh the irons, they are too much.

Not surprising though.

Zerole.7306

Oh no rift’s isn’t very good, but at least they had a good idea with the barbershop. Which is what I was saying, it is consumer friendly and still able to make money.

Some of my favorites include aion (I ended up hating the game, still solid), tera (paid options), and vindictus though not consumer friendly as you had to lay down the cash to get to the good stuff. Really any of the asian F2Ps are probably better than GW2. The problem is a lot of them you gotta pay quite a bit of money to make it worth your while. I happen to love creating characters so I often find it worth it if I like the game.

ETA: If I can include games that are single player? Then DAO.

Include any games for the sake of discussion :p

I enjoyed the character creation in City of Heros / Villians and Champions Online more than the game itself.

Posted by: Factotum.2093

Factotum.2093

Factotum: Lot’s of assumptions there. A code change is a code change. Just because you deem it very easy and straightforward doesn’t mean it was. I’m not sure where you got the time frame for designing a new character face, either.

From having worked in the games industry for 15 years…

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

There$$ no rea$$on why you can’t purcha$$e gem$$ for the new face$$, though some I have no idea what they were thinking. One male sylvari looks like the cat from Shrek mated with a female Sylvari and child had the resulting face. (you heard it here first).

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Yeh I kinda agree on this one. Aion was adding new faces for free…I don’t like this :/

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Why do you continue to limit what we can do in character creation, where we establish the personality of our characters more than anywhere else?

Yesterday these faces didn’t exist and somehow people were able to create characters with the personalities they wanted. I’m not sure how, though, because clearly adding these new faces to the gem store makes it impossible for people to do the things they had no trouble doing 24hrs prior. I can’t even get through three face choices before falling apart, wondering just which options I don’t have here in front of me, the what-ifs swirling in my head: maybe there’s one with a nose ring, maybe there’s one with a lazy eye, or one with a unibrow! It’s all too much to handle, I need to sit down.

Why ANET WHYYYYY!!!!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….