Exotic Vs. Currently Available Ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Just make ascended gear acquireable through the same methods as exotics. No time gating etc. Just at a slighlty higher cost. This way people can basically play the way they want. It is just that simple. At least to me it is.

No. “ascended gear is to be a bridge between exotic and Legendary”

How about there was no bridge stats wise between exotic and legendary gear. If it is just a time bridge, make them all the same stats again.

Yes. That was always the most confusing aspect of Anet’s justification. We were in a situation were there was no gap between Exotic’s and Legendarys in terms of stats, which, to me, is the thing of ultimate consequence. To solve the non-existent gap, they created a real gap by increasing the power level of Ascended gear. (Which also raised the power level of Legendary gear.) None of this makes any sense. If it truly is about time, why would you even consider raising the power level of Ascended gear. After all, Legendary was the highest level gear and it was the same power as Exotic. It’s quite obvious that it wasn’t addressing a time to acquire gap.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Yeah true, the same people complaining about people who complain.

@Raine – He knows it, many ppl already explained it to him, but he still posts the same copy-pasted things in different threads :P

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Just make ascended gear acquireable through the same methods as exotics. No time gating etc. Just at a slighlty higher cost. This way people can basically play the way they want. It is just that simple. At least to me it is.

How about there was no bridge stats wise between exotic and legendary gear. If it is just a time bridge, make them all the same stats again.

. It’s quite obvious that it wasn’t addressing a time to acquire gap.

How is it not obvious that that is exactly what they were addressing?

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

the same people always complaining .

You got me wrong, exotics had the same stats as legendaries before ascended items. If you like stats, they still would be on the weapon.

People got their legendaries before ascended weapons, people like the skins, stats are not necessary.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Addressing what? That people still got their legendaries? And paid ridiculous amounts of gold and gems just for the look? Nothing was wrong with that.

Raine.1394

I’m happy to show you: because they changed the power of Ascended gear. Power has no necessary correlation to time.

Before Ascended, presumably there was a time gap between Exotic and Legendary. Time is what they said they were addressing, right? But, there was no power gap. And, to address a time gap there was no need to raise the power level of Ascended gear.

Basically time and power are two different dimensions. You don’t address time by increasing power. Unless, of course, your intent is to move from horizontal to vertical progression. But then, it’s not about time and time gaps; it’s about power and power gaps.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

because there was neither stat nor time to acquite gap. People citing this explanation always conveniently “forget” about Mystic Forged exotics like Mjolnir.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

It will, once they introduce the next tier of gear.

You got absolutely nothing to base this prediction off of. They introduced a new tier, and yet the content is still balanced around fine (Blue) gear, they haven’t introduced any content that is gated by having higher stats than fine gear.

Then why introduce the gear if it isn’t needed?

Because many people like to get higher numbers, they find that enjoyable.

And just as many find it annoying, while many others just couldn’t care less. Meanwhile, the players who DO want “higher numbers” are a lot more likely to quit sooner and be less profitable for the developer, as I already explained above.

Oh yeah, I mean we saw how unprofitable WoW was with it’s vertical progression/gearing.

Literally the least profitable MMO there is.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You got absolutely nothing to base this prediction off of. They introduced a new tier, and yet the content is still balanced around fine (Blue) gear, they haven’t introduced any content that is gated by having higher stats than fine gear.

And just as many find it annoying, while many others just couldn’t care less. Meanwhile, the players who DO want “higher numbers” are a lot more likely to quit sooner and be less profitable for the developer, as I already explained above.

Oh yeah, I mean we saw how unprofitable WoW was with it’s vertical progression/gearing.

Oh yeah, it was so succesful that they made it harder to keep up with progression to keep players in the game.
Oh wait…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Oh yeah, it was so succesful that they made it harder to keep up with progression to keep players in the game.
Oh wait…

And yet even now, it is ten times easier to get ascended in GW2 than current tier gear in WoW.

Raine.1394

Oh wait…

And, WoW is currently bleeding subscriptions. I’m one of the drops of blood that came to GW2 to get away from the grind of vertical progression. Ordinarily, I love irony—here not so much.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Is ArenaNet hiring? Oh, you’re probably overqualified.

Raine.1394

Oh wait…

And yet even now, it is ten times easier to get ascended in GW2 than current tier gear in WoW.

One of the things GW2’s long/low power curve has taught me is that I actually prefer a short/steep one like WoW’s—I mean, if you have to have vertical progression.

Anyone who’s played WoW knows about how long it will take to gear up after a new tier drops and for me it was around 2 months. That was for a PvE and PvP set that allowed me to play the game at a level of comfort. That meant that I grinded out gear for 2 months and could then relax and enjoy whatever I wanted to do for the remainder of the tier, i.e., no grinding. The bottom line here is that it is far easier and quicker to get gear in WoW than in GW2. There is really no comparison.

With a long/low power curve, the grind is never over. And, if you have alts, you are acutely aware that you may be years of grinding away from having them all outfitted. This is usually where white knights trot out the, well, you don’t really need ascended gear. I’m sorry, but I understand the implications of positively relating power to time, which is the mechanism of VP. And, if it truly doesn’t matter, why on earth would you spend resources to create something that doesn’t matter and is of no consequence. Anet knows that it does matter. VP is a hook that stimulates increased gameplay. Anet knows exactly what it does and why they implemented it—they are gaming professionals after all.

Mackdose.6504

With a long/low power curve, the grind is never over. And, if you have alts, you are acutely aware that you may be years of grinding away from having them all outfitted. This is usually where white knights trot out the, well, you don’t really need ascended gear. I’m sorry, but I understand the implications of positively relating power to time, which is the mechanism of VP. And, if it truly doesn’t matter, why on earth would you spend resources to create something that doesn’t matter and is of no consequence. Anet knows that it does matter. VP is a hook that stimulates increased gameplay. Anet knows exactly what it does and why they implemented it—they are gaming professionals after all.

You may understand the theory, but you fail to allow anyone else who doesn’t share the drive to get BiS (like myself) to say that the gear isn’t mandatory. You basically parade your interpretation of vertical progression around like it’s fact when the game is literally staring you in the face and saying you’re wrong.

It’s not just the low power curve, it’s the fact that the environment doesn’t scale up statistically with player power. The whole game minus fractals is 2 rarity tiers behind the BiS curve.

Anet makes encounters difficult using environmental mechanics, dodge or die power attacks and large numbers of hard hitting mobs that need to be controlled.

As for the time gap, there absolutely was one.

You could get exotics pretty much instantly.
You could get a legendary after months of grinding.

Anet sees that without medium term goals, players would get bored with exotics and quit(majority), or stick around to grind out a legendary (minority).

Enter ascended gear, a tier to give players in full exotics a goal that will yield a tangible reward after a medium-sized time sink. The increased power is that tangible reward.

You can dance around with semantics all you want, but prior to pink gear, there were no medium-term goals to pursue.

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

You may understand the theory, but you fail to allow anyone else who doesn’t share the drive to get BiS (like myself) to say that the gear isn’t mandatory. You basically parade your interpretation of vertical progression around like it’s fact when the game is literally staring you in the face and saying you’re wrong.

It’s not just the low power curve, it’s the fact that the environment doesn’t scale up statistically with player power. The whole game minus fractals is 2 rarity tiers behind the BiS curve.

Anet makes encounters difficult using environmental mechanics, dodge or die power attacks and large numbers of hard hitting mobs that need to be controlled.

Anet sees that without medium term goals, players would get bored with exotics and quit(majority), or stick around to grind out a legendary (minority).

Enter ascended gear, a tier to give players in full exotics a goal that will yield a tangible reward after a medium-sized time sink. The increased power is that tangible reward.

You can dance around with semantics all you want, but prior to pink gear, there were no medium-term goals to pursue.

The thing is with the living story, they did not need to bring in additional gear. The living story would of gave incentive to play the game with new material every 2 weeks.

And what if now I have all the ascended gear? What do I do? You are now in the exact same boat you were with exotics.

Raine.1394

I don’t have an interpretation of vertical progression. I understand it’s history in gaming. I know its definition, how it functions, and why it would be chosen as a method of character progression. I know its pros and cons. They are not mine as I learned them myself from general definitions and understandings. You can google the terms yourself and learn everything I have learned.

It’s actually incredibly simple. In terms of motivation, it is thought to provide players with a sense of character progression, and it provides an incentive for regular play. You can understand it by understanding the words that make up the concept: vertical, the power level of the game increases; progression, it increasing continually over time. By relating power to time the incentive becomes an offer you can’t refuse. To understand this you only need to understand the dynamics of a curve where X is time and Y is power.

OK, you want to say that VP is not mandatory. Understanding what it is (see above) and noting that the power level of the game has increased by 10% within one year, let’s suppose this is the rate chosen for the power curve. OK, you want to play long term, for years. I personally have no problem with you thinking that 10% is not significant, but what will you think in the 4-5 year timeframe when the difference is ~50%. You can’t possibly see this as insignificant. And it will be 50% in that timeframe at the current rate. This is not my understanding or interpretation of VP. It’s simply what it is and how it functions. And, it is why it is mandatory that you follow the power curve if you want to play the game long term.

On time and power gaps. Time and power are two different dimensions. There is no need to address a time gap by raising the power level of the game.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Mackdose.6504

The thing is with the living story, they did not need to bring in additional gear. The living story would of gave incentive to play the game with new material every 2 weeks.

And what if now I have all the ascended gear? What do I do? You are now in the exact same boat you were with exotics.

1. Ascended gear predates the living story.
  2. To get full pink gear is a much longer journey than to get full exotics.

Here’s where you’re not in the same boat as exotics (this could be good or bad depending on your preferences)

Gearing for a different build with exotics is as easy as buying everything off of the TP.

Gearing a new build with pink gear is yet another (albeit shorter) journey to get the max stats for a given build.

Basically, once you cap stats, all progression is horizontal until new infusions come out.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Half or more of the disagreements on this forum are rooted in semantics.

The problem with using the word “bridge” is that people take it to mean “makes it easier to get from one ‘place’ to another.” However, once you’ve done the Ascended dance, you may still have as far to go to get a legendary as you did when you got all your exotics. It’s conceivable that pursuing Ascended could in fact delay your acquisition of a legendary. The word ‘bridge’ can also mean a transitional phase, with no necessary implication of making anything easier, I would expect the average person seldom, if ever, uses the word that way. Thus, the disagreements.

There were supposed to be medium term goals to pursue in the form of skin acquisition, but the implementation failed due to such being too easy to get and/or too thin on the ground. However, we’ve discussed this to death already.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Why would people argue that there is no VP if we have VP?

We had VP before ascended items, but it was easy to go through all levels of VP and even the casuals had the highest tier.

Now we have a harder tier of VP that is more difficult to get. How can anyone deny that?

Mackdose.6504

I don’t have an interpretation of vertical progression. I understand it’s history in gaming. I know its definition, how it functions, and why it would be chosen as a method of character progression. I know its pros and cons. They are not mine as I learned them myself from general definitions and understandings. You can google the terms yourself and learn everything I have learned.

It’s actually incredibly simple. In terms of motivation, it is thought to provide players with a sense of character progression, and it provides an incentive for regular play. You can understand it by understanding the words that make up the concept: vertical, the power level of the game increases; progression, it increasing continually over time. By relating power to time the incentive becomes an offer you can’t refuse. To understand this you only need to understand the dynamics of a curve where X is time and Y is power.

OK, you want to say that VP is not mandatory. Understanding what it is (see above) and noting that the power level of the game has increased by 10% within one year, let’s suppose this is the rate chosen for the power curve. OK, you want to play long term, for years. I personally have no problem with you thinking that 10% is not significant, but what will you think in the 4-5 year timeframe when the difference is ~50%. You can’t possibly see this as insignificant. And it will be 50% in that timeframe at the current rate. This is not my understanding or interpretation of VP. It’s simply what it is and how it functions.

On time and power gaps. Time and power are two different dimensions. There is no need to address a time gap by raising the power level of the game.

TL;DR: You’re not reading anything I’m typing, or have no counter-point.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Nah, you can just not give a reasonable point for why ascended gear needed better stats in game.
It helps noone anyway, maybe it is trivializing the content, and who wants that?

Mackdose.6504

Nah, you can just not give a reasonable point for why ascended gear needed better stats in game.
It helps noone anyway, maybe it is trivializing the content, and who wants that?

Reasonable point for why it needed higher stats: power is the largest player motivator in video games.

“Why the hell would I grind for something that gives literally 0 benefit?” – majority of MMO players

versus

“OH SNAP, THAT THING GIVES +10 OVER MY CURRENT GEAR? MUST HAVE BIS.” -the same MMO players.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Reasonable point for why it needed higher stats: power is the largest player motivator in video games.

“Why the hell would I grind for something that gives literally 0 benefit?” – majority of MMO players

versus

“OH SNAP, THAT THING GIVES +10 OVER MY CURRENT GEAR? MUST HAVE BIS.” -the same MMO players.

People did it for the looks of legendaries, people would have done it for the agony stat and slot. That would have been more than enough.

Your better stat argument is futile in this matter. Otherwise legendaries would never have been popular in the first place…

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Mackdose.6504

versus

People did it for the looks of legendaries, people would have done it of the agony stat and slot. That would have been more than enough.

Your better stat argument is futile in this matter. Otherwise legendary would never have been popular in the first place…

Yeah, my well documented fact is nothing compared to your hypothetical scenario. /rolleyes

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001612.php?page=2

Kaiyanwan.8521

You would have agony progress, you would have tier level progress? I don’t see your point.

Mackdose.6504

You would have agony progress, you would have tier level progress? I don’t see your point.

No, you refuse to see my point, there’s a difference.

Kaiyanwan.8521

No, you only see progress as a raise in stats, your view is fairly narrow.

And there is even a raise in a stat, agony resistance, and you still don’t see progression?

Mackdose.6504

No, you only see progress as a raise in stats, your view is fairly narrow.

This is not true for me at all, however there are a lot of people who do think this way.

And there is even a raise in a stat, agony resistance, and you still don’t see progression?

But you can’t take those stats out of the fractal instance which doesn’t really provide the progress that a lot of players are looking for.

Kaiyanwan.8521

But that doesn’t matter, it still makes this gear tier better. Therefore there is a motivation to get it.

Simply as that.

Mackdose.6504

But that doesn’t matter, it still makes this gear tier better. Therefore there is a motivation to get it.

Simply as that.

It doesn’t matter to you.

With the rune set bonuses in Exotics, I don’t think just the infusion slot would have been enough.

Kaiyanwan.8521

That is what you think, but hey, everyone thinks, and the others are always wrong.

It would have been enough for the hardcore players to seperate themselves from the casuals, that is all that was needed.

Simple and basic human psychology.

Mackdose.6504

That is what you think, but hey, everyone thinks, and the others are always wrong.

It would have been enough for the hardcore players to seperate themselves from the casuals, that is all that was needed.

Simple and basic human psychology.

Ascended gear isn’t meant to separate the “hardcore” from “casuals,” is was meant to give the player base something to reward them for playing the game after they got full exotics.

It’s like I’m forced to argue in circles.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Which part of the playerbase you think was asking for new rewards?

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

Due to the inflammatory tone of this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.