Exp past 80 doesn't give spirit shards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

So filling up the EXP bar after you’re passed Lv80 doesn’t give you any spirit shards… So whats the point of having an EXP bar after 80?

The “+20% Experience from Kills” infusions can only be used by Lv80 characters. Will we be able to get a refund for these infusions?

EDIT: I just leveled up 3 times in an hour using +20% Experience infusion, celebration booster, and exp booster on an 80 character. Didn’t get a single spirit shard.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

yes, they stated that in one of the write ups, nothing new. You get shards from mob drops. Level up exp will be used with mastery system.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Because of the upcoming mastery system and how lvl 80 characters will be progressing once we get the expansion, xp on a lvl 80 currently does nothing.

It’s silly, but they said that once we got the updated Trait lines and hero points and spirit shards were split in how you get them.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

you aren’t supposed to be to begin with.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

when HoT hits, every time you gain a level past 80 it will be granting mastery points. as of right now I’m having a hard time finding exactly what happens to your exp now.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

You still “level up” and get the woosh and knockback effect but other than that, xp on 80s right now is just wasted and does nothing at all.

I wish we would have gotten a mastery line or two for Tyria pre-launch so it wasn’t completley wasted xp, but whatever, it’s not like I won’t be getting plenty of xp later too. Just don’t waste your boosters on XP on 80s right now.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I’d be very surprised if earned XP beyond level 80 doesn’t get back credited for mastery points. Just because there’s no reward at the moment doesn’t mean you won’t see one later on.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I have been getting spirit shards from EXP leveling… hmmm – I must be doing something wrong……

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I’d be very surprised if earned XP beyond level 80 doesn’t get back credited for mastery points. Just because there’s no reward at the moment doesn’t mean you won’t see one later on.

That isn’t how mastery points work.

Mastery points are interactive objects in the world similar to skill/hero points. Once you get them you use them to unlock a mastery track. Then you activate the mastery track and you level up the mastery by gaining experience int he game.

The reason we get nothing right now is because we’re between systems. The old skill system has been removed but they’re going to be adding the new mastery system and it would be a waste of work to remove the exp system and then readd it later.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

you aren’t supposed to be to begin with.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

when HoT hits, every time you gain a level past 80 it will be granting mastery points. as of right now I’m having a hard time finding exactly what happens to your exp now.

You get exp in the mastery line you got equiped you wont get mastery points those are for doing certain things like completing story steps grabing mastery nodes on map like the hero challenges I guess,

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have been getting spirit shards from EXP leveling… hmmm – I must be doing something wrong……

Before 80 yes, after 80 then it is a bug.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

That isn’t how mastery points work.

Mastery points are interactive objects in the world similar to skill/hero points. Once you get them you use them to unlock a mastery track. Then you activate the mastery track and you level up the mastery by gaining experience int he game.

The reason we get nothing right now is because we’re between systems. The old skill system has been removed but they’re going to be adding the new mastery system and it would be a waste of work to remove the exp system and then readd it later.

In that case, well, I don’t know what to say. Seems like they probably should have kept giving spirit shards then.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

kiwituatara.6053

Oh okay, so you get nothing from lvling past 80 right now since mastery systems still not in place?

What about the people that aren’t buying HoT?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Pretty sure even people not getting HoT get the basic Pact Tyria masteries.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

kiwituatara.6053

And what happens when you master all masteries?

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

And what happens when you master all masteries?

You come back here to post a “I quit!” thread at which point a number of people will ask you for your gold. I’m going to pre-empt that and ask you for all your gold right now. I can haz yuar g0ldz pl0x!!!11one!!eleven!