Expansion pack with new story is a need!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: starwatto.4527

starwatto.4527

Hello there,

it has been a long time since I’ve finished all the story missions on my main character, except the last one – defeat of Zhaitan. I just let it be and I started doing “normal endgame stuff” like farming, running CoF, running events, doing Living Story… and yeah, that’s where my post is going.

A few months ago, I read a statement by ArenaNet, that they are not going to make any expansion packs (I hope that I have right informations, otherwise this post is pointless). At first, I didn’t mind, “expanding the game with periodic updates into a brand new game” sounded awesome… please, don’t get me wrong, except the boring farming part of Flame & Frost (the reason why I didn’t get Molten Gauntlets) I really enjoy the whole idea and content of Living Story, but it’s just not good enough compared to normal story.

I realized it this evening, after I finnaly killed Zhaitan – although I expected something little bit harder, I did really enjoy it, it was EPIC and HUGE. And that’s what I miss in the Living Story. The actual story telling, the actual “big enemy” we have to defeat or we all die in pain. The actual feeling of “epic win, let’s celebrate, where’s champagne?!”, which I had after finishing story mode.

I really hope that Living Story is just some kind of prepairing for huge expansion pack with new story, new enemy and new world to explore. If not, I would be dissapointed and I hope that I am not alone.

Well… thank you ArenaNet for great story mode experience, but Living Story (at this moment) just can’t replace the whole new “expansion pack-like” story. I definitely would pay for expansion notwithstanding the fact, that game still isn’t perfect, but for me, it’s the best on the market. ArenaNet knows how to give things so kitten epic feeling and I hope that they are going to use that ability for good stuff.

Peace and love to you guys… and as you say, see you in the game! :-)

Casually hardcore since 2012
Aurora Glade
[rddt]

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

They didn’t say they were not going to make any expansion pack, they said they had no plans of an expansion at the current time, meaning that expansions will come for sure, just that they have no plans (or more likely, no plans they’re willing to share) yet.

And don’t worry, we still have 4 more dragons in the horizon (very possibly 5), 1 (or two) of which we don’t even know the names, at least one race basically all set up to be playable even with a perfect for now inaccesible starting area (the tengu), and a LOT of space in the map unexplored, both seen and unseen (the depths of tyria, where the stone dwarves and Primordius are supposed to be, a vast network of caves under the regular map), so we do have lots of space for future expansions..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

We first need to leave the beta phase of the game, then enjoy a finished game (if you enjoy the beta, imagine the game with all events and activities working at 100%) and then, we can finally think on a expansion

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

We first need to leave the beta phase of the game, then enjoy a finished game (if you enjoy the beta, imagine the game with all events and activities working at 100%) and then, we can finally think on a expansion

cant agree with this more. there are still is a lot of issues that still need to be fixed, and if you are focused on the pvp side of the game you know all too well which is causing a lot of people to leave.

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

cant agree with this more. there are still is a lot of issues that still need to be fixed, and if you are focused on the pvp side of the game you know all too well which is causing a lot of people to leave.

Can’t disagree with this more. This game hardly feels like beta, and I rarely if ever run in to bugs. I am focused entirely on PvE though. +1 for expansion and more story.

Posted by: little ceasar.9254

little ceasar.9254

I do not disagree there needs to be more story and content, the game has hit a bit of a wall for people that have been here since beta. However, I would personally love to see the weak areas of the game shored up before resources are diverted to stacking more onto a the current product. As it is now it already feels like there are too many small projects tying up dev resources such as adding new mini games, temporary dungeons, and gem store items fluff items while issues that have been present since beta have been largely unresolved.

Ashr [AGG]RESSION
CD→SoS→BG→ET→DB→JQ→SoS→
Mag→JQ→SoS→JQ→TC→FA→DB→FA→Mag→TC→KN

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

The game is only 10 months old. It is not NEEDED, yet.

Expansions do not come out for at least a year and a half.

Get over yourself. Accept and adapt or move on.

Original MMO model which was followed by Everquest:

Day 1 – release game

month 3 – have most bugs worked out

month 6 – Begin work on additional content (note I did not say add new content)

year 2 (month 24) – release new content.

This model, especial by Anet, is no longer followed. Be glad they are not. Accept the game as is

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

It is a very time consuming feat for any game company to iron out 100% of their “Bug’s”. To enact this plan instead of producing actual “content” would leave this game in rather dire straits. Content and bug fixes can be produced mutually but never should one have a primary focus over the other.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They have on average, not counting class bugs/changes, fixed 3 bugs per DAY since launch.

They are fixing bugs at a great rate, and the content is building up faster now. I mean we have 2 content updates this month alone. That is 10x the pace of WoW’s content updates.

NCSOFT has announced that an expansion is in the works, but it won’t be out for quite a while.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If the Living Story is a TV show, it’s the filler arc that people watch not because it’s compelling or enjoyable or even embodies what you liked about the show in the first place, but because it’s filler that allows you to spend a little more time in the world you bought into because of the main plot line. No-one is unhappy to see the filler arcs end and the story return to the main plot. Fillers are pacifiers, things that keep you occupied until what you really want comes along. Yeah, GW2 needs an expansion, Living Story is falling short.

Expansions add all new dungeons, all new weapon sets, all new maps, all new armour sets, new traits and skills (let’s be honest though, the current traits and skills aren’t even remotely balanced or complete), all new story (and not some side story like Flame and Frost which feels like it may as well have never happened, but something big and appropriate for the heroes that took on an elder dragon).

I will admit that the Consortium make a better enemy than Zhaitan ever did, not because they are more threatening but because they have motivations and not some mindless beast. They are compelling. This doesn’t make the Living Story good, it makes the Personal Story weak. Having said that, I feel that story telling efforts would be better spent on a real meaty story that has some greater relevance to Tyria. The Living Story so far just feels like the tiny selective plots from each of the maps of Tyria (like the human struggle with the centaur in Harathi) released slowly over a period of three months (show me someone who spent three months happily and actively playing in Harathi) with a major cash shop component and a mini-dungeon that relies on being temporary to supplement the need to be quality. The primary reason people play Living Story is the carrot on a stick (two back slot items, a bunch of titles and crazy MF buff) not because of compelling gameplay or story content.

If Living Story was more robust (and had more free content instead of most roads leading to the gem store for cosmetic or desirable loot) it might adequately supplement an expansion or at least give an more satisfying experience until it comes, but its current form is not enough. It’s early days but the story we’ve completed so far was mostly irrelevant (just an excuse for refugees, the Molten Alliance were terrible enemies both in terms of their motives and the consequences or lack thereof from defeating them, the consequences of that chapter are trivial compared to an elder dragon exhaling) and the additions to Tyria were frustratingly temporary.

If this was a TV show, I’d be tuning out until the filler arc ended.

None of the Living Story content even comes close to how robust the WoW content updates are. WoW updates add whole new raids, weapons, armours, boss fights (with phases and different mechanics – their dungeons are also more robust than GW2 dungeons) daily quests, robust class balance (in a game with less class discrimination due to poor balance) mini pets and the like. The GW2 updates have brought lesser versions of each of these things.

For what it is, the Living Story is enjoyable and the Secret of Southsun appears to have improved upon and learned from Flame and Frost, but it’s no replacement for an expansion. It might help bide the time until one and it will help to strengthen the core game (one that was released unfinished and needed strengthening) but it isn’t adding the value that an expansion would add to the game.

Posted by: Doug.9628

Doug.9628

the game hasn’t been out for a year yet. I don’t expect to hear about an expansion pack for at least another year from this time.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Can’t disagree with this more. This game hardly feels like beta, and I rarely if ever run in to bugs. I am focused entirely on PvE though. +1 for expansion and more story.

Which game did you play?

No bugs on PvE?????

So all those bugs on dynamic event, traits, skills, parties, BLTC, ui interface, etc, etc are just my imagination? Good to know

I hope the lack of needed tools, profession balance and PvE balance is also my imagination.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

They’re extremely poor at telling any kind of story worth listening to so let it to devs such as rockstar/naughty dog. Simple missions that you’re doing with groups AND NOT SOLO would be enough

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

They’re extremely poor at telling any kind of story worth listening to so let it to devs such as rockstar/naughty dog. Simple missions that you’re doing with groups AND NOT SOLO would be enough

Yeah, they have a lot to work on with the actual story-telling quality. Even though anet said they’d move away from the dialogue on static-backdrops I don’t really trust in their ability to do cinematic scenes, most of them just pan the camera around clumsily. The only good cinematic in the entire game is in CoF’s story when Logan grabs Rytlock. And what’ll happen when Wildstar comes out? Anet will have to hide its cinematics team in a closet somewhere out of shame and embarrassment, and make up an excuse about not having one when people see good cinematics in an MMO to compare with.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

given the quality of the story quests…. I don’t think we need more. I mean those we enjoyed it will like it but I don’t think its NEEDED at this stage.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I was forced to PUG the dungeon in the last living story. Twice. Both times failed. Not due to me. I was one of the ones that actually lived the longest.

I do not want anymore 5-mans myself. So I do not support your point of view

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Im so tired of hearing about expansions. Just wait people, wait a year or so. For now just enjoy the monthly updates you get FOR FREE. In the last 2 months we’ve had 4 updates, crazy right?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Since you have said numerous times on these forums that you skipped through all the dialog how would you know?
I also support scalable dungeons since some people prefer to solo and some prefer 5 mans, best of both right?

To the OP: As much as I would love an expansion it is too soon for that- Anet said that they will not release expansions on the same timetable as GW and will focus more on the living Story with continuous updates.

Personally I feel that they are only warming up to the concept and are testing out how they want to do things, while getting the infrastructure in place.
If you look at F&F and now Southsun you can definitely see that they are listening and that they are evolving.

Don’t forget that it is entirely possible to open more maps and add more story with the Living World mechanism
I think we will be in for a very fun ride in the next couple of months.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Since you have said numerous times on these forums that you skipped through all the dialog how would you know?
I also support scalable dungeons since some people prefer to solo and some prefer 5 mans, best of both right?

To the OP: As much as I would love an expansion it is too soon for that- Anet said that they will not release expansions on the same timetable as GW and will focus more on the living Story with continuous updates.

Personally I feel that they are only warming up to the concept and are testing out how they want to do things, while getting the infrastructure in place.
If you look at F&F and now Southsun you can definitely see that they are listening and that they are evolving.

Don’t forget that it is entirely possible to open more maps and add more story with the Living World mechanism
I think we will be in for a very fun ride in the next couple of months.

also Anet can add in those dragons within the living story….think about all these refugees we have…there are 3 places these refugees could go…Maguuma Jungle, Crystal Desert, and Northern Shiverpeaks(back to their home)….but these places are all inhabited by Elder Dragons at the moment….

and since expansions usually have an entirely new continent in them, at least for GW and Anet…it would seem kinda weird to release an expansion when there are still elder dragons in Tyria

we get rid of the dragons, refugees have homes, tyrias problems solved, time for an expansion