Experience Formula

Experience Formula

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arthalion.7316

Arthalion.7316

Was just searching around for what exactly bonus exp is which naturally led me to the experience page on the guild wars 2 wiki. The formula for exp for doing events/killing mobs etc that are the same level as you is simple enough but when the formula introduces a modification for level difference things don’t seem to make sense or I’m just not understanding it properly.

An example here is I did a level 2 event on a level 80 character and received 9113 exp.
I understand that you get 7% exp from doing an event and then if you are higher leveled than the event the exp gets lowered by a certain percentage and that’s what I am having trouble with. How did I end up with 9113 exp? 7% of level 80 is 17780 exp. 9113 exp is 51.254% of 17780. Where did that percent come from?

The wiki says “Experience gained is modified by the difference in the content level and your character level. This modifier begins with a base of 50% and scales linearly as the difficulty decreases.” and I am not entirely sure what it means in the second sentence. Would someone who understands it be able to explain it to me? Thanks

Experience Formula

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, it does say the percentage of experience gained decreases on a scale with the difference between level and difficulty. They didn’t post the scale, but the example showed a 5.25 percent of total XP with a 25-level difference. I would imagine it went down quite a bit with a 78-level difference. So, the percentage is probably whatever 9,113 is of 254,000. Hope that helps. =)

Experience Formula

Arthalion.7316

Yeh I’m trying to work out exactly how it got to 9113. Getting the percentage is easy enough but I can’t work out how it got to that percentage.

Experience Formula

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, as it says, the percentage goes down the larger the difference between character level and area/mob/event level.

Experience Formula

Arthalion.7316

But it doesn’t give specifics. I want to see a formula that shows exactly how it got to 9113

Experience Formula

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This is the best I could find: It appears that when downleveled, xp is modified by a (E+C)/2C multiplier (where E is the event level and C is the current character level.

Remember, formulas are not revealed, usually, by ArenaNet, but discovered by players’ research. If you so desire, you can make a chart or graph from your own findings, and try to figure out the formula. Best of luck. =)

Experience Formula

Arthalion.7316

Ahh I was hoping that someone would already have found/worked out the formulas by now. Theres normally always enthusiasts who do that with big games like GW2. Thanks for the formula and the help

That formula is actually pretty kitten close. Using that gives me 51.25% for the example I used in my original post, which is almost spot on with the 51.254% I stated.

(edited by Arthalion.7316)

Experience Formula

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not a problem. =)

Experience Formula

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

In addition to Inculpatus’ calculations consideration must also be given for the level of xp reward which can be affected by how long a mob lives or your participation level in the event.