Experience after 80

Experience after 80

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Michola.4532

Michola.4532

Ok, I’m sure this has been asked before, but I can’t find a relevant topic on this on the forums that’s current.

Prior to them changing Skill Points to Hero Points/Shards when you leveled up at 80, you could continue gaining Skill Points for each level up. Now that we have a split between Points and Shards, what do we get each time we level up at 80?

Experience after 80

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because the game is in between the old system and the new, currently you get nothing for leveling after 80. After the expansion begins and the level 80s have access to the mastery system then a level 80 will advance the mastery track chosen as they level.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Experience after 80

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Ok, I’m sure this has been asked before, but I can’t find a relevant topic on this on the forums that’s current.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-Doing-Map-Completion-a-Waste/first#post5251622

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/No-point-in-leveling-up-after-80-now/first#post5214497

I’m sure there’s many I missed, the short story is we’re getting the short stick on XP until HoT is released and possibly thereafter.

I wouldn’t mind if they completely removed the xp bar once you hit cap but having all these xp bonuses given as rewards and guild buffs PLUS the bright yellow XP numbers splashed across the screen when it’s all useless is kind of a slap in the face.

No point in pursuing the issue though, as you can see from earlier topics on this the usual shills jump in and do their best to make it seem like we’re being unreasonable for expecting something for xp and that we are in the minority.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

(edited by Muusic.2967)

Experience after 80

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Right now you get spirit shards when you level up after level 80. I just tested it.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Experience after 80

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Right now you get spirit shards when you level up after level 80. I just tested it.

You don’t get Spirit Shards (according to what was announced – I haven’t really kept track, having an over-abundance), but it’s just temporary until HoT releases and the ‘XP’ bar changes to track Mastery progress.

Experience after 80

Thaddeus.4891

You don’t get Spirit Shards (according to what was announced – I haven’t really kept track, having an over-abundance), but it’s just temporary until HoT releases and the ‘XP’ bar changes to track Mastery progress.

That was my opinion. But that’s not what is happening in the game right now. I just tested it like 5min ago.

Experience after 80

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

a slap in the face.

This over used line seriously needs to be added to GW2 forum Bingo/drinking game.

The Burninator

Experience after 80

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You might have received one from a drop or bag and not noticed it while checking your wallet between levels, but if it did give you one for leveling up then it’s inconsistent, because I know I’m definitely not getting any for leveling up.

a slap in the face.

This over used line seriously needs to be added to GW2 forum Bingo/drinking game.

Do you want to dive straight into raging alcoholism?

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Experience after 80

Thaddeus.4891

You might have received one from a drop or bag and not noticed it while checking your wallet between levels, but if it did give you one for leveling up then it’s inconsistent, because I know I’m definitely not getting any for leveling up.

a slap in the face.

Do you want to dive straight into raging alcoholism?

Well I tested it with a tome of knowledge. No drop, just the level up. Or it only work with tome of knowlege for some reason.

Experience after 80

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But, Tomes of Knowledge grant one Spirit Shard if the character is L80. So, it’s not some odd occurrence, but, working as intended.

Experience after 80

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Using a tome of knowledge on a level 80 character will grant you a spirit shard. Levelling up from XP collected out in the world will not.

I can see why this is annoying for people who used a lot of skill points in the mystic forge, but I suspect the reason there’s not been much talk about it is those people are the minority and most players had more skill points and now have more spirit shards than they could ever imagine needing and already considered levelling up after level 80 to be useless.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Experience after 80

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Using a tome of knowledge on a level 80 character will grant you a spirit shard. Levelling up from XP collected out in the world will not.

I can see why this is annoying for people who used a lot of skill points in the mystic forge, but I suspect the reason there’s not been much talk about it is those people are the minority and most players had more skill points and now have more spirit shards than they could ever imagine needing and already considered levelling up after level 80 to be useless.

Shards are now open-world drops, as well as obtaining 3 or so from completing the daily.

Experience after 80

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

On average in my usual game time per evening, I get probably 10 shards per day. Not gaining them from levelling past 80 was balanced by them dropping from random mobs. That’s quite fair. And we’ll gain Mastery Points in HoT 80+, it’s just that system being in place ready took priority over you gaining 1 Shard in the mean time.
Although I had a stockpile of them due to silverwastes and PvP tracks.
I’m nearing on 3k Spirit Shards. I need not worry about 1 from 80+ dings.

Kitten.

Experience after 80

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well I tested it with a tome of knowledge. No drop, just the level up. Or it only work with tome of knowlege for some reason.

Oh, yes, as others have pointed out this is intended behavior. It was a change made in the June 23rd patch, under the Skill Point Conversion topic:

• Players will no longer be able to level a character after 80, but level 80 characters will be able to loot spirit shards from creatures in the world.
  • Tomes of Knowledge will level a character up to 80, but after 80, they will grant a spirit shard.
  • Writs of Experience can no longer be used at level 80. 20 writs can be traded to Miyani for a Tome of Knowledge.