Experience gained is wonkey

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

So I decided to level a new toon to see what all the fuss was about. I’m not going to comment on the experience as a whole because that is a different type of thread.

What I found very odd was that currently I’m lvl 24 (lvl 20 experience scroll + completing chapters 10 & 20) and so have to level to get to the next chapter. I went out to Gendarren Fields and killed a few lvl 30 enemies, but only got 3 experience. 3!

Next I made my way to Queensdale and killed a lvl 16 enemy and got 24 experience (+ 11 bonus). How in the world does this make sense?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Killing monsters higher than your current level would be too confusing for new players.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

Maybe higher level mobs now give less experience, causing a logarithmic curve in leveling. Fast at low levels and slow at higher levels?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Maybe higher level mobs now give less experience, causing a logarithmic curve in leveling. Fast at low levels and slow at higher levels?

In the past, and with practically every other game I know, your gained experience is relative to your level compared to the enemy’s. Meaning you kill something higher level than you and that is an accomplishment that earns more experience. As you get higher in levels, killing things weaker than you give less experience. What I’ve seen suggests the opposite is happening, which doesn’t make sense.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Blackstone.6257

Blackstone.6257

This is dumb.
I have a level 26 in a designated level 25-35 zone and it’s completely unrewarding to do over half of the zone because the experience gained is so limited. Why am I forced to go to a level 1-15 zone just to be able to get to level 30?
It makes no sense that taking on higher level challenges within a zone specified for your level range gives you less reward than going to a lower level zone and destroying mobs.

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

Killing mobs should give a lot more exp in general. Atleast 3 times as much. If not even more to keep up with the other ways of gaining experience.
I am not sure how it is now but pre-patch farming some ore node gave me 3 times as much exp as killing a mob.

The very first character I played and leveld up I did a lot of mob farming around the citadel of flame. Infact I did 4 levels just by grinding mobs. Thats it, not even a single quest or event. Just grinding the flame legion. (All dat linen)
Once I reached level 80 I actually went back to that place to grind some more for a few days. (Even more linen! was quite profitable back then.)

Anyway, little did I know back then kitten like Diminishing returns on mob loot exists. I often felt I would get less after a certain time but I did not even know this mechanic exists or is being used. Never have I encountered it in other MMOS.

Dont get me wrong, I am super happy its not another grind MMO that take 3 months to reach level 80 and another 6 months for your gear. I do however genuinely enjoy grinding mobs in a small area.

Getting back to topic (somewhat):
Its especially tedious to level up alts. All this walking around and all those heart quests and events.. GAAH! It was fun the first few days but it gets old reaaaally fast. EoTM is even worse, you dont pay attention for a second and your zerg is gone.

Why cant I level up alts as fast as others by just grinding mobs for 30 minutes in an area and then move on to the next spot. That way I could atleast contribute to the thoughtful discussions on teamspeak and not having to read the thoughtless quest tasks and skipping through 3 films worth of cutscenes, lol!

Man, sorry for the little offtopic, had to get that out for once.

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

(edited by Flitzie.6082)

Posted by: XunlaiSpy.9384

XunlaiSpy.9384

Experience gained for killing enemies at a higher level than your character’s level was always less than for enemies equal to or lower than your character’s level.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

A dev once stated monster exp isartly based on how often a monster is killed. The less it is killed on the map…the more xp it gives. Hence why yellow mobs are meant to give more xp.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I’m amazed that they haven’t capped enemies in every zone to your personal level etc, if you are level 20 in Orr they do level 20 damage to you and level 80 damage to those who are 80 etc :p

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So I decided to level a new toon to see what all the fuss was about. I’m not going to comment on the experience as a whole because that is a different type of thread.

What I found very odd was that currently I’m lvl 24 (lvl 20 experience scroll + completing chapters 10 & 20) and so have to level to get to the next chapter. I went out to Gendarren Fields and killed a few lvl 30 enemies, but only got 3 experience. 3!

Next I made my way to Queensdale and killed a lvl 16 enemy and got 24 experience (+ 11 bonus). How in the world does this make sense?

Well that explains why suddenly my leveling experience at level 55 went to a crawl.

I’ve been used to going to higher level zones and getting enough xp to actually reach level 60 easily and then begin crafting for the rest. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, this is contrary to their position on a rewarding experience.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

From what I’m hearing, there appears to be a bug with experience gain. Labjax has a good write-up of his/her experience with it here.

It sounds like it fixes itself after level 30, and while it’s often spotted at level 29, it can start earlier. Fighting in areas where you’re downscaled might give you normal XP, if you want to grind to level 30 rather than wait for a patch.

Ugly, but it sounds more like a bug than something intended. Hopefully a fix is coming, but you might want to report the issue anyway.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Killing enemies has never given enough XP, actually, but I think the issue you’re describing is a bug. They need to fix both it and the wonky scaling issues.

Posted by: XunlaiSpy.9384

XunlaiSpy.9384

A dev once stated monster exp isartly based on how often a monster is killed. The less it is killed on the map…the more xp it gives. Hence why yellow mobs are meant to give more xp.

Actually, it is based on how long the creature was alive.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience

“An exploration bonus is earned based on how long a creature has been alive in the world”

With everyone farming the same mobs (no thanks to the megaserver implementation), that might be why there has been a massive decrease in bonus experience.

(edited by XunlaiSpy.9384)

Posted by: Solitaire.3680

Solitaire.3680

Yikes, you really should be rewarded if you’re lower then a mob and are successful at killing it with better xp. I’ve noticed also killing mobs is quite a bit lower xp which is a shame because sometimes it’s more fun to do that with some potions on then grind out hearts with every single character