Explanation for daily karma nerf

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

“Daily and monthly achievement rewards now include Essence of Luck. To offset this, the amount of karma earned from daily and monthly achievements has been reduced.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-September-3-2013/first#post2822986

wow 50 luck, thanks a lot! i’m sure 50 luck is a considerable amount! /sarcasm

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Yeah they could just give us a blue to salvage. It’s not like there is a difference.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Frankly, it’s insulting. Luckily I usually get it done without trying while roaming in WvW.

50 Luck… wtf.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Patch notes from September 3.

Today is October 4th.

Were you debating whether or not to actually let us all in on your revelation? Why keep us in suspense so long?

Bread.7516

Frankly, it’s insulting. Luckily I usually get it done without trying while roaming in WvW.

50 Luck… wtf.

Yeah, 50 luck is insulting. it’s like giving a hobo a bean.

Patch notes from September 3.

Today is October 4th.

Were you debating whether or not to actually let us all in on your revelation? Why keep us in suspense so long?

It’s a reminder of the garbage state of karma, and their sad excuse.

If they want to serve us a huge steaming crap in a plate, atleast make it fancy

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

isn’t the “garbage state of karma” caused by everyone having way too much of it and not enough things to spend it on?

seems to me like reducing the amount we get from one source in exchange for something everyone benefits from is in the general direction of “better”, regardless of the small numbers involved.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Please keep in mind that the game did not even launch with jugs/drops/ect of Karma…it originally only came from events. So now, it is back to what it was at launch + a bit extra + account wide magic find.

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Bread.7516

So you mean to say we should bring back the plinx farm, or something like it? because that is a terrible idea.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Karma is useless”
“Karma has 0 use”
“Karma is too easy to get”
“We have nothing to spend karma on”
“Karma is a waste”

I’ve heard sentiments like these for months. That is why we got Karma nerfed. Now it’s not flowing like water, and people suddenly have issues?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

“Karma is useless”
“Karma has 0 use”
“Karma is a waste”

I’ve heard sentiments like these for months. That is why we got Karma nerfed. Now it’s not flowing like water, and people suddenly have issues?

Only 10 people play this game and they all were complaining about having nothing to do with karma, right? There couldn’t possibly be players that have not played this game since launch or only play a few hours a week and don’t have millions of karma to spend on nothing.

I have over 5 million karma, never complained that there was nothing to spend karma on, and think that the nerf was over the top and a step backward, especially for new people. You don’t take things away…you give people more things to use the currency on.

(edited by azurrei.5691)

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I don’t get it, what are you all spending so much karma on that makes this a problem? I still have like a million. I understand this is a little unfair for new players but really – karma isn’t used for much.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Bread.7516

There was always something to spend on with karma, most people just didn’t figure it out.

This is obviously done to slow down people’s progress for ascended weapons. It’s already time-gated and they add this on. Then they give a crap reason of nerfing the daily because of 50 luck….50 luck is nothing; it’s dirt. I could figuratively pick my nose and get 50 luckm

You don’t take back what you give people, that’s just rude.

And when was having too much of a currency ever individually a problem? first world problems much?

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

personally, I’m happy they nerfed dailies and monthlies. They shouldn’t be a primary source of anything. It’s not a bad idea that they give a little bit of a lot of things. but 50 is a bit low compared to the other things you get, especially when you consider how much you need to use those things on.
1 laurel = ~3% of an ascended amulet
1 Mystic coin = 0.4% needed for legendary or 1-10% needed for a forge weapon
5s = ~1-5% needed to buy exotic weapon
600 karma = 0.0595% needed for legendary
50 luck = 0.0012% needed for 300% mf

proportionally speaking, you get 1/50 as much luck as the next-lowest reward, and 1/1500 as much as the average. it should at least be proportional to your current luck level like gold is. so should karma, come to think of it.
I recommend keeping karma the same, but luck reward increases with your account’s luck (something like: at 100%, daily would give 1000 luck. at 299%, daily would give 3000 luck)

Bread.7516

personally, I’m happy they nerfed dailies and monthlies. They shouldn’t be a primary source of anything. It’s not a bad idea that they give a little bit of a lot of things. but 50 is a bit low compered to the other things you get, especially when you consider how much you need to use those things on.
1 laurel = ~3% of an ascended amulet
1 Mystic coin = 0.4% needed for legendary or 1-10% needed for a forge weapon
5s = ~1-5% needed to buy exotic weapon
600 karma = 0.0595% needed for legendary
50 luck = 0.0012% needed for 300% mf

proportionally speaking, you get 1/50 as much luck as the next-lowest reward, and 1/1500 as much as the average. it should at least be proportional to your current luck level like gold is. so should karma, come to think of it.

I do agree on this.

Also, im not just talking about daily but the removal of karma from other sources like dungeons as well

Posted by: Ambrecombe.4398

Ambrecombe.4398

They nerfed Karma from daily because of this
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tactician_Deathstrider

By decreasing our daily Karma it decrease the potential Obsidian Shards we can spend our karma on every day, slowing down the Ascended crafting process even further and keeping us longer on the game.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Karma was a broken currency. They had to fix it. One of the ways that they broke karma was giving away karma jugs so they stopped giving away as many karma jugs. Fine.

New players get less karma and will not get the broken karma pools with millions of karma. Good or bad? It’s good. Even though new players will be jealous of the old karma pools there is no point trying to balance rewards against broken currencies or the game will go to ruin.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“Karma is useless”
“Karma has 0 use”
“Karma is a waste”

Only 10 people play this game and they all were complaining about having nothing to do with karma, right? There couldn’t possibly be players that have not played this game since launch or only play a few hours a week and don’t have millions of karma to spend on nothing.

I have over 5 million karma, never complained that there was nothing to spend karma on, and think that the nerf was over the top and a step backward, especially for new people. You don’t take things away…you give people more things to use the currency on.

I have close to a million myself, and never complained either. I’m with you, I think the nerf was a bit rough; however, obviously we weren’t vocal enough when combating the voices that cried it was useless. Hell, I have a long post in another thread going through how karma isn’t useless, but we weren’t the ones they listened to, we weren’t loud enough apparently.

I’ve even directly asked people complaining that karma has no use for suggestions. What did they want to see added to spend it on. They response? “Its useless” and then tada, it got nerfed. We reap what we sow, maybe not you and me specifically, but hey we get boned too.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Scar Rufo.7935

Scar Rufo.7935

They nerfed Karma from daily because of this
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tactician_Deathstrider

By decreasing our daily Karma it decrease the potential Obsidian Shards we can spend our karma on every day, slowing down the Ascended crafting process even further and keeping us longer on the game.

This makes the most sense of any reason that I have been able to come up w/since anyone who does not have any Karma will need to complete 6 or so events to get the rewards to buy a Shard. Before the change my alts were saving up for Karma armor so I could try WvW. Now am spending it on shards, eh; whatever. Am glad the Karma is in a wallet so I only have to spend from one toon, not run all of them there to buy shards, haha.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Yes and no. People that complained for all this time most likely not had a severely reduced acquisition rate in mind, but more and alternate ways of spending the currency.
Taking “things” away is never popular and I am sure they anticipated all these threads.

They could have also made some ascended crafting materials (not just the shards) available for karma with a price range of the rare weapons around 30-60k. At the end of the day it only inflates the currency.

I am more sad about the fact that the “food” is almost useless now. Maybe I should just eat those things on cooldown to get rid of it, for some reason I don’t really like deleting stuff.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

No use? Man, I spent at least a million karma on T3 cultural weapon sets for my characters. Down to aquatics and everything. (I’m OCD about my gear).

Barely had enough left for a stack of obsidian shards to craft ascended with.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I have millions of Karma that I can’t spend. That’s after buying 3 stacks of Obsidian Shards. Karma was way too easy to get, thus the nerf. At least now you need to go out and earn Karma through specific paths.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I have millions of Karma that I can’t spend. That’s after buying 3 stacks of Obsidian Shards. Karma was way too easy to get, thus the nerf. At least now you need to go out and earn Karma through specific paths.

Since you have no use for karma, why don’t you spend it on the jewelry boxes?
I keep 1.5 mill just in case I would ever get a precursor *lol

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

“Karma is useless”
“Karma has 0 use”
“Karma is a waste”

I have close to a million myself, and never complained either. I’m with you, I think the nerf was a bit rough; however, obviously we weren’t vocal enough when combating the voices that cried it was useless. Hell, I have a long post in another thread going through how karma isn’t useless, but we weren’t the ones they listened to, we weren’t loud enough apparently.

I’ve even directly asked people complaining that karma has no use for suggestions. What did they want to see added to spend it on. They response? “Its useless” and then tada, it got nerfed. We reap what we sow, maybe not you and me specifically, but hey we get boned too.

you actually right there about karma and a few other matters. i see a lot less people at tequatl now. i think when everyone was complaining i didnt make my voice loud enough saying they would drive people away same with karma. i thought it needed a slight nerf maybe 50 percent of what was given but not as much as they did and i felt they should have brought us more ways to spend karma

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

when i have too much karma i spend it all on weapons and then go gamble those 4 weapons to forge yellow weapon what i sell for 20+ silver, and make money.
Karma is great way to earn money.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Overdone is the answer.

Karma pretty much needed a nerf across the board, but this is now insulting. I think since the update I’ve made no more than 100k karma.

Explain to my why any karma source was removed from dungeons, it forces PvE players to zerg up around CS and farm events or go WvW (where if you’re a Gandaran like me, up against VZ this week, it’s not gonna happen). Should have just turned the drops into drips…

It’s like it doesn’t matter Karma items are no longer affected by consumables or boosts, because you don’t kitten get any regardless.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

I don’t get it, what are you all spending so much karma on that makes this a problem? I still have like a million. I understand this is a little unfair for new players but really – karma isn’t used for much.

Temple armors – the only reasonable way to outfit your alts with exotic armor/trinkets without resolving to grinding badges of honor in WvWvW or spending a huge amount of gold on acquiring specific types of armor.

Bread.7516

I do agree it was a broken currency.

I am against taking away karma from a lot of sources to FORCE players to do fractals and dynamic (not really dynamic) events; something akin to plinx farm. We’re already FORCED to do afk autoatk world bosses to get some dragonite ore to get our ascendeds.

It is an insult and a slap to the face that they nerfed it in exchange for 50 luck.

Anet’s method of doing things – 2 steps forward 3 steps backward. bravo

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Karma was oversupplied – and on this i think everybody agrees.

But as usual, Anet is just a disaster in terms of balancing, and overdone it.

Now karma is harder to obtain than back in first month of game, which is kinda ridicolous.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

isn’t the “garbage state of karma” caused by everyone having way too much of it and not enough things to spend it on?

seems to me like reducing the amount we get from one source in exchange for something everyone benefits from is in the general direction of “better”, regardless of the small numbers involved.

You completely missed the more important second part of your first sentence. “Not enough things to spend it on”. That’s where the correction should have been – because what we got now is not only a meager selection of goods, but all those goods are horrendously overpriced.

“Karma is useless”
“Karma has 0 use”
“Karma is a waste”

Of all the things you mentioned, only the third one got solved by this change – all the others were left as they were or made worse.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Karma needed a nerf, but it got nerfed too hard.

It shouldn’t have been removed from dungeons, and dungeon events shouldn’t have been removed either. Either they should have kept the karma at the end reward (and optionally reduced it), or they should have kept the dungeon events and let them give karma, so that you’d get like 1k karma/dungeon path.

That way doing dungeons would be relatively on par with doing open world dynamic events, slightly more rewarding karma-wise, but I don’t think that’s anything but fair.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It’s definitely annoying but I can see why.

Prior to this, I very very rarely bothered with events, and still got myself about 700 obs shards in like 2 months. That’s not right.

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

“Daily and monthly achievement rewards now include Essence of Luck. To offset this, the amount of karma earned from daily and monthly achievements has been reduced.”

What a ridiculous justification for the karma nerf, which actually was necessary imo.. Obviously the real reason for the nerf was that karma was simply way to easy to get in absurd quantities, but why can’t they just be honest and say that…?

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Except not everyone benefits from luck. What about people that already maxed their luck? Furthermore the small numbers really do matter. You can just buy some cheap green and salvage it for the same effect.
Karma really can be used by anybody. Even if you feel like there’s absolutely no karma item you want, then you can just turn it into gold (1mil karma —>20~25g), which could buy you more luck anyway.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

If they wanted to increase the importance of events, they could at least bump the base karma you get from them.

With the new karma nerf as it is now, it would be pretty foolish to spend karma on temple gear/gear at all if you’re planning on crafting ascended or a legendary.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I am personally feeling really angry about the karma nerf. I feel STUP|D for spending karma on a set of armor, not knowing that they would kill karma. I was recently considering making my first legendary. But what? I have only 700k-ish karma. I need about 300k more. Um…. how is that going to happen? It would take a year, and I’ve already got that big amount. Imagine being a new player. No wonder champ trains are so popular. Personally, I see more of a light at the end of the tunnel assuming I can get 2500g by farming before I will ever see 1 million karma needed to craft the thing.

ANet is killing this game for me. I used to LOVE this game. Now not so much. There’s not much to “strive” for being a more casual player. At least nothing I could possibly achieve before I’m bored and frustrated to tears and finally leave.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: khris.6893

khris.6893

So let me get this straight. Whoever played before the recent karma nerf, stockpiled millions of karma and crafted several ( Not one ) legendary weapons, making it very unfair for whoever started playing recently?
I’m 2 small maps away from 100% map completion with my main, 50% with me 80 war alt, spammed dungeons and champion trains and I’ve managed to get less in 1 month then what the others used to get in a week or less? Yea that seems kind of fair and well thought.
Just for the notice, I’m on @ 250k karma right now without ever spending it. To think I need 3 times more of that to complete 1 incinerator is ridiculous.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Temple armors – the only reasonable way to outfit your alts with exotic armor/trinkets without resolving to grinding badges of honor in WvWvW or spending a huge amount of gold on acquiring specific types of armor.

Are you being serious right now? It’s incredibly cheap to buy a full set of exotic armor on the TP.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Keyska.4105

Keyska.4105

Anet… are you ever going to be your old self again? O wait..