Exploiting - Bans and Suspensions.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

When GW2 Launched Anet had an amazing no tolerance policy for exploiters. Going as far as to ban the top streamer on twitch because he used one of them. After years of game makers turning the other cheek and allowing exploiters to profit, i found a game that wasn’t going to mess around with players using obvious unintended mechanics and bugs.
What the hell happened? Now people are posting “Record Kill” threads using broken skills. Streamers advertise they are using the bug in their stream titles as they trivialize all content with it. Where is the ban hammer for them?

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

The things they banned for were for excessive botting and breaking the economy with money making exploits.

They have always and still do swing the ban hammer for these things.

They haven’t usually banned for use of broken skills unless it somehow breaks the game in some way, like the economy.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Something as broad as the current issues are more something that is broken then an exploit. If anything people talking about it and posting about it only brings awareness to get it fixed. Which honestly I’m surprised they haven’t hotfixed at least the guardian one yet. Which if they did hand out bans, they would have to ban every hammer guard doing teq. since they may or maynot be aware of what is going on.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Anyone who claims they aren’t aware that doing the abnormal amount of damage using one particular skill isn’t a bug/exploit is full of it. Yes I am shocked they have neither fixed or acknowledged such a ridiculous bug.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Anyone who claims they aren’t aware that doing the abnormal amount of damage using one particular skill isn’t a bug/exploit is full of it. Yes I am shocked they have neither fixed or acknowledged such a ridiculous bug.

Nah, most people who play the game are literally clueless. They walk around killing stuff. They don’t think about efficiency. They don’t think about tactics. Some of them have never been to the traits page.

The people who come here, are definitely aware. But there are people in my guild who just log in, kill some stuff and log off. And they really don’t know.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

Responsibility for anything that is broken in game is on Anet side. Without reading the forum or watching youtube, how do you know what is bug, what is exploit and what is intended?

So with the logic of punishing ppl responsible for exploitable bugs in GW2, devs should ban themselves. I don’t mind it at all. Would be funny to read “due to excessive bugs and exploitable changes made to the game, the developement team has been banned for 3 weeks. Hotfixes will be developed after bans expire. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation”.

You know what is the best thing not to present bugs and exploits to the game? TEST IT BEFORE RELEASING. And noone is going to convince me this patch was tested.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

The things they banned for were for excessive botting and breaking the economy with money making exploits.

They have always and still do swing the ban hammer for these things.

Yup. Quite literally everything in this game comes second to the economy. Players, content, quality… everything

I also don’t see why the OP cares about this.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

u cant compare taking shortcuts with injecting code for the purpose of unfair advantage.
also they cant ban players for using skills baddies claim to be a exploit. otherwise they would have to ban 80% of the players. me included i mean this is common sense.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Yup! let’s ban every single hammer guard since patch. Yup! sounds like a great idea!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Responsibility for anything that is broken in game is on Anet side. Without reading the forum or watching youtube, how do you know what is bug, what is exploit and what is intended?

“Hmm, I can buy this thing for 10c but then sell it for 10s.
There is clearly nothing wrong with this and I should totally earn 20 000 gold from it!!!!”

I don’t think ArenaNet have ever banned anyone for something that wasn’t a very clear exploit. Every single time we have heard these uproars about mass-bans the situation have been so extremely clear that if you didn’t know it was not working as intended you shouldn’t play computer games in the first place.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Banned? For using skills in the game?

I completely understand that Symbolic Avenger is broken, we can all see that.

But I main a Guardian, heck I have THREE guardians, I love them, I would have picked that trait regardless.

So I’m not allowed to play my Guardian how I normally would because one of the traits is broken? That’s complete BS and in no way, shape, or form should it result in a ban.

This is very different from an exploit. It’s like if they coded greatsword damage wrong or something and it does 500% damage. Would you ban anyone who uses a greatsword? Would you send out a message and tell all of your players, “Oh hey, don’t use greatswords they do too much damage”? No you would fix the problem as soon as you can and in the meantime anyone using greatsword would be doing 500% damage.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

Here’s a thought, to be fair. Wouldn’t they have to ban all players, guardians or not, who were on a Teq map that used that method for that kill? That would be an ugly situation, especially with the community grumpiness regarding Teq’s HP buff. That’d be ugly.

Also, there is the parallel of the HoM bug. They did fix that pretty quickly, but they did say until they could figure out who took advantage of it (and we are assuming bans/rollbacks/retribution of some sort here) we’d now have access to HoM and we still don’t after how long?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Of those 2 first big bans at the start of the game, one was for buying ingredients with cheap karma, crafting stacks and stacks (and stacks) of items and selling all the stacks to a merchant for serious gold (for that time). The second one was a bug where one rare level 80 cultural weapon in a list of cultural weapons, sold for 63 karma rather than 63,000 karma. People bought that weapon (a greatsword) by the hundreds or thousands and put them in the mystic forge to get rares, exotics and even precursors. Now you can’t tell me that looking at a list of weapons all priced for 63,000 karma except one for 63 karma and not know it was a mistake, and then taking advantage of that mistake to get rares, exotics or precursors is not an exploit.

In both cases people took advantage to make large sums of gold (for that time). They weren’t using their char’s traits and skills to play, so the two situations aren’t analogous.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Surely these things are looked at and evaluated on a case-by-case basis?

I’m sure when it comes down to it, punishment would be calculated by how much the player benefited from it and if it was obvious if the player knew that something was “fishy” (advertising the exploit in-game or social media, for instance).

Right now, in this thread, I think the reason why we all can’t quite see eye-to-eye is because we haven’t got a clear understanding of what actually constitutes as an exploit (objectively and subjectively). Some are talking about damage exploits in relatively harmless PvE, others in PvP/WvW and others are talking about financial exploits.

All of these have different outcomes and different levels of seriousness, so should also be punished at different severity accordingly.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Looks like tequatl exploit is catching on. Guardians are being actively ncouraged to group up with the hammer and trait and Teq is just dropping his first 25% in 90 seconds

I left the map. I’d rather try and fail personally speaking

Banning people isn’t the answer although maybe for those actively encouraging the map to exploit could be liable for some punishment. Really, energy is better spent just fixing it

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

erm…..i think on launch, everyone is motivated and hyped…
now…the staffs are not as motivated and hyped….so the slacking…

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

When I logged on to do Teq, I did see I was doing a huge amount of damage but, since I had just logged on and the game had automatically assigned the traits to my lvl80 guardian I had no way of knowing what was causing that damage until Teq was over and I could ask around. So, no, not everyone is aware of what is causing their huge amount of damage.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

When I logged on to do Teq, I did see I was doing a huge amount of damage but, since I had just logged on and the game had automatically assigned the traits to my lvl80 guardian I had no way of knowing what was causing that damage until Teq was over and I could ask around. So, no, not everyone is aware of what is causing their huge amount of damage.

I’m sorry but I don’t buy that. It would be different if we were taking a 20% increase but going from doing a 5 or 10k crit to 200k is not something anyone wouldn’t catch on to in a couple minutes let alone an entire boss fight. Do they need to run out and ban them, no because it is a major issue they have been aware of and haven’t acknowledged so it falls onto them at this point and banning would not be justified. That still doesn’t excuse the fact that people are willing and knowingly taking advantage of it and I simply can’t buy a 20 fold increase as going un noticed.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

The main question is if Anet ever stated this is a bug. If not – there is no exploit. Working as intended.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m sorry but I don’t buy that. It would be different if we were taking a 20% increase but going from doing a 5 or 10k crit to 200k is not something anyone wouldn’t catch on to in a couple minutes let alone an entire boss fight. Do they need to run out and ban them, no because it is a major issue they have been aware of and haven’t acknowledged so it falls onto them at this point and banning would not be justified. That still doesn’t excuse the fact that people are willing and knowingly taking advantage of it and I simply can’t buy a 20 fold increase as going un noticed.

Idk. I normally don’t pay any attention at all to the numbers when playing. I have no idea what my normal damage levels are or what the normal crit numbers are on my chars. For all I know they could be thousands. Or maybe hundreds. /shrug. Maybe you’re staring at those numbers, but not everyone cares or notices. As long as stuff dies fast, that’s all I care about.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I hope you all get banned, so I will be the best player in the game!

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

If they ban someone for using a trait… god, that’d be shameful. “well we could fix it, but that’s a lot of work, instead we’re just going to get rid of anyone in the game that wanted to have some fun”

OP, untwist those panties and calm down, everyone knows any records set using this are a joke.

Randulf.7614

But, who will buy your stuff??

Wanze.8410

I will.

I bought my own listings countless of times.

Why? Because I can.

3.2g sales tax for a twisted horror just today to battle inflation.

Edit: Looks like I got close to buying my own twisted nightmares too!

Attachments:

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Randulf.7614

Ah so it will be like duelling John Smith

Just a flesh wound.3589

I will.

Why? Because I can.

I would love to fight inflation beside you, but, uhhh, I’ll need some cash first. Just a little. Send me few hundred gold and I’ll battle inflation by your side till the cash runs out.

ANet may give it to you.

Wanze.8410

I will.

Why? Because I can.

I would love to fight inflation beside you, but, uhhh, I’ll need some cash first. Just a little. Send me few hundred gold and I’ll battle inflation by your side till the cash runs out.

I roam solo.

Just my mount and me.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

It’s not happening. Too many people used it unknowingly and to say “well don’t play Guardian then” isn’t going to fly. People use exploits, bugs, and glitches all the time. What, did you think you were supposed to be able to kill the mobs in CM through the wall?

What’s going to matter is… did people over abuse it for a significant, above average gain that affected the economy? And the answer is likely going to be.. no. I’m not getting any more treasure than I was pre-patch and I’m not going into PVP or WvW to Guardian Gang folks. I’m just doing the same things I do every day… except Teq now dies in 5 minutes.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

So ban guardians. Great idea.

Seriously do you know the amount of people using this trait and you want them banned? That’s insane. I’m still shocked that Anet had said nothing on this issue though and it’s still not fixed. Please get on this Anet. It grossly trivializes content for organized groups. TT is meant to be a hardcore large scale fight and it’s faceroll now. It’s a slap in the face to those who did the fight legitimately.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I roam solo.

Just my mount and me.

o/’ I’ve been through the auctions on a mount with no name…

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I have come to the conclusion that the people asking for bans on these issues are the completely clueless ones.

Have some patience(I know, what a novel idea)…….Anet will eventually fix/adjust/nerf these issues…..it just won’t be on your time schedule.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

Broken skills are waiting for a bug fix. I agree that people shouldn’t be using them, but if it is part of their main combat mechanic… and the bug fix isn’t happening fast enough, what are they to do?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t know about any guard bugs, but I’ve not been to the profession pages in a long time. I know the trait changes broke a few things but I don’t have a clue what they are.

OT, yeah unless it a way to make a quick turnaround in coin, or is an out and out cheat. ANet seem to let it slide.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

So with the logic of punishing ppl responsible for exploitable bugs in GW2, devs should ban themselves. I don’t mind it at all. Would be funny to read “due to excessive bugs and exploitable changes made to the game, the developement team has been banned for 3 weeks. Hotfixes will be developed after bans expire. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation”.

You know what is the best thing not to present bugs and exploits to the game? TEST IT BEFORE RELEASING. And noone is going to convince me this patch was tested.

^^ win win

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

I think we just need patience and in due time these bugs and exploits will be cleaned out but that said..

I will tear my hair out if , after correcting these bugs and exploits we get plug in CLASS here that has been exploiting the same come here to QQ about the nerfs.

Extreme.8350

Broken skills are waiting for a bug fix. I agree that people shouldn’t be using them, but if it is part of their main combat mechanic… and the bug fix isn’t happening fast enough, what are they to do?

I rather keep this than the bunker fight same player whole game meta we had last time

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

When GW2 Launched Anet had an amazing no tolerance policy for exploiters. Going as far as to ban the top streamer on twitch because he used one of them. After years of game makers turning the other cheek and allowing exploiters to profit, i found a game that wasn’t going to mess around with players using obvious unintended mechanics and bugs.
What the hell happened? Now people are posting “Record Kill” threads using broken skills. Streamers advertise they are using the bug in their stream titles as they trivialize all content with it. Where is the ban hammer for them?

It’s nobody’s fault except Anet that skills are broken.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

I am assuming you are referring to Kripp and the ban for advertisement of how to exploit a bug. While before my time, I see the reason why it was carried out. The impact of was significant for the time and it required significant cleanup, though we probably could have handled it a bit more gracefully.

“Record Kill” is an entirely artificial and community created metric. You can choose to completely ignore kills that revolve around temporary lack of balances in skills.

As far as abusing bugs in dungeons, and advertisement of them, reporting it to exploits@arena.net is probably the best way to get us to look at something. Yes, we do action that.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

As far as abusing bugs in dungeons, and advertisement of them, reporting it to exploits@arena.net is probably the best way to get us to look at something. Yes, we do action that.

Wow, that is unexpected. I don’t like cheats and I don’t use them myself but I am very surprised that this is actionable.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Extreme.8350

If u glitch a boss kill it in a way its impossible to fail can u get banned?
what if u get a team who kick if u dont agree? just leave? :/

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

I am assuming you are referring to Kripp and the ban for advertisement of how to exploit a bug. While before my time, I see the reason why it was carried out. The impact of was significant for the time and it required significant cleanup, though we probably could have handled it a bit more gracefully.

“Record Kill” is an entirely artificial and community created metric. You can choose to completely ignore kills that revolve around temporary lack of balances in skills.

A look at twitches GW2 page the last couple days will find you lots of people advertising this bug in dungeons and WvW.

(edited by Ballads.2509)

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

The current skill state (or balance) is not going to fall under a situation where we would consider it an “abuse of a bug” or “exploitation of a bug”.

This is really the same situation as when the Mesmer fall trait was in a state where the damage was significantly too high.

No we aren’t going to action players for that.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

If u glitch a boss kill it in a way its impossible to fail can u get banned?
what if u get a team who kick if u dont agree? just leave? :/

Yes, you can get banned for “glitching a boss it in a way its impossible to fail”. That is the very sum definition of EXPLOIT. You are exploiting the boss in a way not meant in the design of the content to defeat said content for the rewards. That is against the terms of service.

And if you get a team that is trying this, LEAVE THE GROUP. Don’t be a part of it or you’re risking a ban yourself. You know it’s wrong. They know it’s wrong. The thing about it is to be a better player and not do what’s wrong just because “shinnies!”.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

The current skill state (or balance) is not going to fall under a situation where we would consider it an “abuse of a bug” or “exploitation of a bug”.

This is really the same situation as when the Mesmer fall trait was in a state where the damage was significantly too high.

So people using the bugged guardian trait on say, teq will not be banned? I don’t think they should personally because then you are basically telling people not to play guardians, but I want it to be clear.

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

So people using the bugged guardian trait on say, teq will not be banned? I don’t think they should personally because then you are basically telling people not to play guardians, but I want it to be clear.

I think myself that it’s a pretty clear statement. If the guardians were using the bug to get an unfair advantage other over players or to mess with the economy, it might be a different story, but as it is, they’re basically just using the bug to kill Tequatl faster for the same rewards as they would have gotten without the bug,

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I think myself that it’s a pretty clear statement. If the guardians were using the bug to get an unfair advantage other over players or to mess with the economy, it might be a different story, but as it is, they’re basically just using the bug to kill Tequatl faster for the same rewards as they would have gotten without the bug,

Teq or dungeons isn’t all it’s being used for… Quite a mess in WvW.

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

So how long can we expect 5 man guardians groups taking advantage of the bugs till it get fixed?

What about WvW blobs taking gates down in 10 seconds without getting in trouble?

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Anyone care to explain what the deal is with the hammer guard and that trait that is bugged? dont play guard myself, but hear a lot about that “bug”, so kinda curious

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Anyone care to explain what the deal is with the hammer guard and that trait that is bugged? dont play guard myself, but hear a lot about that “bug”, so kinda curious

Here is a video of a large group in WvW using the bug to take down gates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAIZpVcguY

Here is a video of 5 guardians doing insane amounts of damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlU76B50hvs

Here is a video of an engineer one shotting players in PvP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqpIY-pz0I4&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Here is a video of a large group in WvW using the bug to take down gates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAIZpVcguY

Here is a video of 5 guardians doing insane amounts of damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlU76B50hvs

Here is a video of an engineer one shotting players in PvP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqpIY-pz0I4&feature=youtu.be

I already heard a time and time again and guards can do insane dmg with it, and none of those vids show anything more than that, was looking for an explanation of what is going on