Extended Trial Version: Marketing Fail

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SmartBobby.6283

SmartBobby.6283

Dear ArenaNet,

this post is not about the Free 2 Play part itself, so please do not merge it with the other F2P merged thread. It is about the communication of your marketing division. Thank you.

Today you did a big communication fail when speaking about “free to play”. There are a lot of people out there who are unfortunately not able to read exactly or to understand the facts you gave us. Everything they got in mind today were the words “free to play” and at this moment they switched off their brain and began to flame, spread bad mood and so on.

When collected all facts of the today revealed Free 2 Play part, then you will notice, that this is an extended trial version and not more. You could have prevented the current lack of understanding easily by speaking about this feature as this what is: An “Extended Trial Version”.

You should communicate in all channels “play the Extended Trial Version for free” instead of play the game for free. This should be done even till the smallest detail like this url: https://welcome.guildwars2.com/de/play-for-free. Just replace the word “play” with “trial”. Trial for free! Do this everywhere. Then all the people will understand this topic so much better!

Best regards,
SmartBobby

P.S.: Also all gaming news websites wouldn’t use the wrong “free 2 play” words now.

Reges Insani Occultae Templae [RIOT] | http://www.riot-guild.eu/
Elona Reach [DE] – Let’s be strong and fight together! ;)

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Its not a trial if it doesn’t expire. If I saw free extended trial version I would think I only have so many hours I can put into it until I can no longer play it..

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Trial would insinuate a time limit, which there is non. This is more a Restricted F2P then it is a Extended Trial.

The restrictions can be lifted if they pay, not much different from other F2Ps that have pay walls.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Except for the HoT exclusive content tell me what is inaccessible for a f2p player?
I wouldn’t call it a trial when I can do anything.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Pretty sure the entire core game is available? Your restricted on how you can impact the game economy and communicate with others, but besides that, there’s really no content you can’t take part in.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

SmartBobby.6283

The word trial does not include a time limit. It could include a feature limit as well. And yes guys, this is, what the free part is all about.

Edit: Here you can read exactly what the restricions are: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157

(edited by SmartBobby.6283)

BrooksP.4318

The word trial does not include a time limit. It could include a feature limit as well. And yes guys, this is, what the free part is all about.

Its trying to split hairs simply to split hairs. Being adverse to the term F2P seems to be the only motivation to wanting another term for it. In the end the name fits what they are doing, not a fail and no real reason to change it.

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

It seems like free players will have more than a trial version. They’ll have full permanent access to all core content with restrictions mainly focused on preventing abusive account creation and promoting gem and expansion purchase. There’s not much more to say, if you want to be a free player you can play the entire core game for free forever. That’s a free to play launch.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

as a free to play account

- you dont get loginrewards
- you cant use map chat
- you cant exit starter zones until lvl 10 (edited thx to Behellagh)
- you cant mail any items or gold (and can only send to mutual friends)
- you have only 2 character slots
- you cant exchange gold for gems
- you dont have access to guild banks
- you cant enter WvW until you are lvl 60
- your trading post is restricted
- no unranked or ranked arenas until PvP rank 20
- you cant enter LA before lvl 35

but you can play every part of the game as long as you want
so it is more of a restricted free to play than an extended trial

and narrow minded people who start crying or raging before reading properly will always exist

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

SmartBobby.6283

Why is the core game a trial?

The core game now is a trial, because you have to pay to extend your account to have access to HoT and all other extension packs which will come. Any questions left?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The term “extended trial”, while a bit of an oxymoron, would imply severe limits. For example, look at the limits on wow’s free version: max level and so on. For some things in GW2, like leveling, you can do them as much as everyone else. So it is not a trial by any means.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

People are confusing B2P and F2P models.

B2P gives you access to the servers after purchasing the game.
F2P gives you access to the servers without purchasing the game.

In essence, GW2 is now officially F2P, since it no longer requires a purchase to play.

edit: I should also clarify that any restrictions are irrelevant, and only access to the servers is relevant when discussing each model. GW1, for instance, is still B2P.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

BrooksP.4318

The core game now is a trial, because you have to pay to extend your account to have access to HoT and all other extension packs which will come. Any questions left?

Core =/= HoT

SmartBobby.6283

@ArenaNet, here you have it. All comments are regarding the current state of the game. They do not understand, that free players do not have access to further expansion packs all around the core game, which is accessible now.

They just see the game they’re playing currently and so they notice that a free player does now have access to everything of their game. They do not get it, that there will be not free accessible content soon and in the future.

This fact you were able to prevent.. :/

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

- you cant enter starterzones aynmore after lvl 10

Correction, you can’t exit starter zones until you are level 10.

Starter maps only until character reaches level 10
Lion’s Arch unlocked for each character at level 35

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

SmartBobby.6283

Core =/= HoT

That is it!! If you’re understand it in a mathematically way better, this is for you:

GW2 Core game = Trial
HoT and further expansions = Buyed Content = Upgraded Trial Account through paying

Edit: You should think about the fact, that the current game (the core game), will be in the future just a piece of the whole game Guild Wars 2.

(edited by SmartBobby.6283)

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

And with this we will have a kittenload of bots running around in the silverwastes or the champtrains.
Who was this genius to allow trial account characters reach lvl 80?

Orangensaft.7139

ok

then Anet wrote it wrong in their “Account types” page

Quote:
“Starter maps only until character reaches level 10”
that implies what i wrote at first or not?

edit:
i read it wrong:
i read it like
Starter maps – only until lvl 10
instead of
“only starter maps” until lvl 10

26x lvl 80 Characters

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

- you cant use map chat

and narrow minded people who start crying or raging before reading properly will always exist

So you’re admitting then that it is basically the whole game with hardly any limits. Thanks.

Also " no unranked or ranked arenas until PvP rank 20" this limit in particular is the same for regular paid for accounts as of a few days ago. So that shouldn’t be there.

Orangensaft.7139

- you cant use map chat

So you’re admitting then that it is basically the whole game with hardly any limits. Thanks.

Also " no unranked or ranked arenas until PvP rank 20" this limit in particular is the same for regular paid for accounts as of a few days ago. So that shouldn’t be there.

yes i am admitting it obsiously
since OP wrote that it should be titled extended trial

but it is a free to play actually so i wrote that

and while ranked arenas are limited on normal accounts too until lvl 20
unranked arenas are not!
so it is not the same

26x lvl 80 Characters

Behellagh.1468

ok

then Anet wrote it wrong in their “Account types” page

Quote:
“Starter maps only until character reaches level 10”
that implies what i wrote at first or not?

edit:
i read it wrong:
i read it like
Starter maps – only until lvl 10
instead of
“only starter maps” until lvl 10

I can understand how you might have read that wrong but it made no sense that once above level 10 they are banned from starter zones.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

This is the full core game with logical limits in place. It is not a trial. You can join a guild at level 80 with full ascended and do a set of fractals on a f2p account. It wouldn’t be easy, but it can be done.

You can also buy gem store items on f2p accounts, including Season 2 of the Living World. Someone on a F2P account has certain social and economic restrictions, but they can do pretty much everything a full account can.

EDIT: I mean clearly ascended items would be more difficult as some of the easiest ways to get them is through laurels (which free accounts cannot get apart from AP rewards maybe?) but they are still obtainable

(edited by I See No Tomorrow.7302)

Behellagh.1468

This is the full core game with logical limits in place. It is not a trial. You can join a guild at level 80 with full ascended and do a set of fractals on a f2p account. It wouldn’t be easy, but it can be done.

You can also buy gem store items on f2p accounts, including Season 2 of the Living World. Someone on a F2P account has certain social and economic restrictions, but they can do pretty much everything a full account can.

EDIT: I mean clearly ascended items would be more difficult as some of the easiest ways to get them is through laurels (which free accounts cannot get apart from AP rewards maybe?) but they are still obtainable

Other games that have gone to F2P have content and professions behind pay walls. We simply don’t have that here.

Sure level locks on some but the F2P game allows you to level to 80. They can’t withdraw from guild banks, they can’t mail items or coin, they are limited on the TP and they can’t convert gold to gems. Toss in the chat limits and this is just restrictive enough to safeguard chat and the economy and be just annoying enough for the F2P player that buying an account/expansion is worthwhile.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Other games that have gone to F2P have content and professions behind pay walls. We simply don’t have that here.

Sure level locks on some but the F2P game allows you to level to 80. They can’t withdraw from guild banks, they can’t mail items or coin, they are limited on the TP and they can’t convert gold to gems. Toss in the chat limits and this is just restrictive enough to safeguard chat and the economy and be just annoying enough for the F2P player that buying an account/expansion is worthwhile.

Technically the Revenant and HoT maps and skins are behind a paywall.

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me? It’s clearly not a trial since people technically have the ability to do what people could do 3 years ago with the game and more, while also having social and economic restrictions to prevent abuse of the F2P system.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It’s hardly what I would call a trial. Tons of services offer a free basic version, as a way to get people using their ecosystem, spread positive talk, and convert people into paying users. As an example, my Dropbox account only has a couple GB storage, but that doesn’t mean they should call it a trial account instead of a basic or free account.

Some people will use it as a trial to later convert into a paid account if they like it, and that’s half the point of a service offering a free account, but I think it would be odd if they called this setup a trial, given the scope of what’s being offered.

I’m not going to get into a dictionary fight over the meaning of the word “trial,” but I think it would be less accurate to call this a trial than a free-to-play option. It’s certainly not a goof on the part of the marketing department.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Behellagh.1468

Technically the Revenant and HoT maps and skins are behind a paywall.

I’m not sure whether you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me? It’s clearly not a trial since people technically have the ability to do what people could do 3 years ago with the game and more, while also having social and economic restrictions to prevent abuse of the F2P system.

It’s behind the paywall for everyone, F2P and regular accounts. I’m talking F2P vs regular accounts.

And I’m agreeing with you, this isn’t some kind of trial.

RIP City of Heroes